PDA

View Full Version : "Please Swipe Again." "Please Swipe Again." "Insufficient Fare.

W5BRM
09-14-2014, 11:14 AM
http://gizmodo.com/why-you-should-put-19-05-on-your-metrocard-to-outsmart-1632531219

We've all been there. The train is coming into the station, and you grab your MetroCard and quickly try and swipe it at a turnstile.

"Please Swipe Again." "Please Swipe Again." "Insufficient Fare."

The last two words are killer. You think to yourself, "I swear I had a balance on this card." You go and check the card out and you see you have "$2.45." Yes, you need $2.50 to ride the subway, and you have $2.45 on your MetroCard. Sure enough you miss that train all because of that nickel.

How did you end up in that situation any way? It turns out the MTA has designed it that way. Imagine how many tourists come to NYC and leave with balances that never get used.

Wonder how may crooked accountants were used to devise this? I also wonder how long this has been happening. And how many other paid card companies follow this same pattern.

n2ize
09-14-2014, 01:32 PM
You know it's odd that last night I cam across this very same thing quite by accident on a transit forum. I was actually looking to what people were saying about the NYCTA's gradual transition from wayside signalling to CBCT control and just happened to come across this.

n2ize
09-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Check this out.

http://iquantny.tumblr.com/post/96700509489/how-memorizing-19-05-can-help-you-outsmart-the-mta

K7SGJ
09-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Check this out.

http://iquantny.tumblr.com/post/96700509489/how-memorizing-19-05-can-help-you-outsmart-the-mta

Naturally, the MTA doesn't quite go this far west, but I found the article interesting none the less. I can see the reasoning for the city doing it the way they do in order to screw people over. Nice to see someone took the time to share work around.

Thanks.

kb2vxa
09-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Sing it all together now... I, love New York... I, love New York...

NQ6U
09-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Naturally, the MTA doesn't quite go this far west

They forgot to make a left at Albuquerque.

W5BRM
09-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Now we know about how they set it up to keep your extra cash, How about actually checking on who you are when you spend it?

Rather disturbing. NOT related to MTA specifically but still bothersome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzzmQEseKCA

n2ize
09-14-2014, 04:56 PM
In the very early days the transit system used coin turnstiles and some stations used paper tickets that were either manually collected or deposited in ticket choppers as patrons passed through the gates. Around the time that the fare went up to 15 cents they started using tokens. For most of my life I used tokens. It was 15 cents when I was a kid and the price kept going up up up. Even when the introduced the Metrocard tokens were still around. Eventually they phased them out and went 100% Metrocard. The Metrocard has its advantages but one of it's major disadvantages are exactly what is described above. Leftover balances that are not enough to cover the fare yet most often never redeemed. I probably have a dozen or Metrocards with balances of anywhere from 25 cents to $1.25 on them.

Anyway the NYCTA plans to phase out the Metrocard soon and switch to electronic transfer. You will either swipe your credit card or use a cell phone app (perhaps something along the lines of ISIS wallet) to pay the fare. I already see vending machines that use ISIS wallet. You tap your smart phone and the cost of the item is automagically deducted from your account. I see some problems with this. While it may make passing through subway stations faster (no need for turnstiles) it also may not be hacker proof. Also, you are no longer an anonymous rider, as you're entire path through the transit system will be logged. Also, there are many people who don;t have credit or debit cards nor do they have smart phones. I have yet to hear how the NYCTA plans to enable those people to ride. I think they would have to have something similar to the Metrocard kept in place so persons without credit cards or cell phones can pay the fare. So far nothing from the TA.

W3WN
09-14-2014, 05:43 PM
The local transit agency, Port Authority of Allegheny County, has the same problem with the transit "smart cards" they introduced last year. Especially when it comes to people paying different fares during rush hour and different fares between the transit zones.

I have a simple solution. I have a monthly pass.

K0RGR
09-14-2014, 06:04 PM
All of those automatic prepaid toll road systems work the same way. It's really hard not to leave a balance and if you don't claim it, it goes to the state. Nice little shakedown there.

N2NH
09-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Naturally, the MTA doesn't quite go this far west...

The MTA goes this far north, but not the subways. We use train tickets but some of them are monthly MNCRR tickets on one side and Metrocards on the other. If you use Metronorth, you can pay as you go, so there's no balance.

I used to hate that when I lived in the city. Then there were the times you'd get a monthly Metrocard and either misplace it or have it stolen after 3 or 4 swipes.

n2ize
09-15-2014, 05:17 AM
The MTA goes this far north, but not the subways.

I hear they might extend the 8th Avenue line into the Catskills. Then you can take the A Train down to Sugar Hill.. ;)

I used to hate that when I lived in the city. Then there were the times you'd get a monthly Metrocard and either misplace it or have it stolen after 3 or 4 swipes.

Remember the turnstile jammers ?? The first time I ever saw them I said to myself, "why is that guy kissing the token slot on every turnstile over and over again". Then figured it out. They jam the token slot so the coin doesn't drop all the way down. A rider drops his token into the slot but it gets stuck and he can't get it back out and he can't get through the turnstile. So he has to notify the token booth clerk and she has to let him through the gates. Meanwhile the jammer runs up to the turnstile, cups his mouth over the slot and sucks the coin up and into his mouth. By the time the cops show up they are gone. The jammer , now with a pocket full of stolen tokens, sells them to riders for a reduces price. Then he takes the money he made and buys himself a nice vial of crack. Maybe a few vials if he had a good day.

kb2vxa
09-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Turnstiles aren't the only things they suck.

kd6nig
09-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I like the way Bay Area Rapid Transit handles it. With BART, as long as you have 5 cents on your ticket, you can get on the train.

But you can't exit at the other end till you bring the ticket up to handle the fare.

You just have to be sure you have the cash or card on hand to "addfare" at the other end.

I probably have 3-4 of their little tickets with 50 cents or so on them. One of these days when I ride it again I will have to take them all in and redeem them. You can supposedly mail them in for a refund as well.

One thing you have to remember though is that if you have precise fare, when you stick the ticket in the exit gate you have a few seconds to clear. Usually it pops up and when you pull it out, then it opens and you get the few seconds. But when you have precise fare, it doesn't return it, and it opens right then.

A better idea than not letting you in, I think. Though if you get to the other end and don't have the money, you're stuck anyway. But at least you don't miss your train...

N2NH
09-16-2014, 11:29 AM
I like that way as well. You supposedly can send the Metrocard in for a refund, but the one time that I tried that, I never got it.

The other thing is that when you buy a new Metrocard you have to pay for it. So if your cards magnetic strip is worn or it isn't working the way it should or you send it in, you will be charged a dollar for the privilege. Thank Bloomberg for looking after the bottom line.

NQ6U
09-16-2014, 11:50 AM
No physical restrictions at all on the San Diego Trolley, nothing to stop you from getting on without paying a fare. They do, however, have roving "Fare Inspectors" who can ask to see your ticket at any time and if you get caught on a train without a valid ticket for that trip, it's a $75 fine for a first offense and up to $500 for repeat offenders. Considering you can buy a five dollar day pass that allows you unlimited rides, anyone who gets fined is severely math-impaired.

n2ize
09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
I like that way as well. You supposedly can send the Metrocard in for a refund, but the one time that I tried that, I never got it.

The other thing is that when you buy a new Metrocard you have to pay for it. So if your cards magnetic strip is worn or it isn't working the way it should or you send it in, you will be charged a dollar for the privilege. Thank Bloomberg for looking after the bottom line.

Well, pretty soon the Metrocard will be phased out altogether. As least on the subways it will but I also assume it will be obsolete on the buses as well.

K4WGE
09-20-2014, 09:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbtkL5_f6-4

K7SGJ
09-20-2014, 09:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbtkL5_f6-4

A great group. I really enjoyed their music in the 60's. One of the few you didn't need to be stoned to appreciate. But since we were probably already small, it didn't hurt any.

kb2vxa
09-20-2014, 09:07 PM
The South Lake Union Trolley, ride the SLUT with that cute little smile on her face... and when you get off you get right back on!

n2ize
09-22-2014, 09:16 AM
A great group. I really enjoyed their music in the 60's. One of the few you didn't need to be stoned to appreciate. But since we were probably already small, it didn't hurt any.

All music requires its listeners to be stoned. Indeed it's a well known fact that the only reason music was created was to give people a reason to be stoned.

kb2vxa
09-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Maybe that's why I played head music on my Saturday-Sunday overnight when all the other stations were taken over by Bible thumpers? Maybe that's why Alyson Steele "The Night Bird" on WNEW-FM was so popular? Hmmm?

N2NH
09-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Maybe that's why I played head music on my Saturday-Sunday overnight when all the other stations were taken over by Bible thumpers? Maybe that's why Alyson Steele "The Night Bird" on WNEW-FM was so popular? Hmmm?

A breathy seductive low voice didn't hurt, neither did the Andean Flute Music she started every show with nor the fact that she was a knockout.

If you wanted to hear music that was experimental or not played anywhere else (not always good music mind you), Alison was the show to listen to. I used to play her when I was in college doing my term papers. Helped me to keep track of the time and to get the job done without stressing out. That and a 6pack of Colt 45. ;)

kd6nig
09-22-2014, 04:31 PM
No physical restrictions at all on the San Diego Trolley, nothing to stop you from getting on without paying a fare. They do, however, have roving "Fare Inspectors" who can ask to see your ticket at any time and if you get caught on a train without a valid ticket for that trip, it's a $75 fine for a first offense and up to $500 for repeat offenders. Considering you can buy a five dollar day pass that allows you unlimited rides, anyone who gets fined is severely math-impaired.

That is how Sacramento County's light rail is as well. Usually would get checked about twice a week.

Those were the same guys too who would enforce two bikes per train. At one point I did ride a bike for commuting, from the station to work or from the station to home. Many times I'd just ride the whole way, but on a rainy day I'd take the train just so I wouldn't be soaking wet before I even got to work.

Many a time I'd be on the train already and someone else was already on there with a bike, and a third and sometimes fourth person would get on anyway, ignoring the rule. Quite a few times they would lie and say they were there first. The tickets though would show which station you originated from, and suddenly the tune would change when they were asked to produce them to prove they were on the train first.

I saw quite a few people get hauled off though for not having one...and a lot of them were not homeless or drugged up. There were plenty of regular people who would try to skip it to save money.

I remember reading some blog postings when I still lived there about people who would do this. They would just watch for the inspectors boarding (and hope they were not already aboard) and not have a ticket. If they saw them getting on, they would get off. Sometimes though they would ask people getting off for their tickets too, but usually they would just get off and walk away like they intended to get off, then when the train took off, turned around, came back, and waited 10-15 minutes for the next one.

Had to admire their dedication, but for $1.25 at the time per ride (good for 2 hours once you got the ticket unless you got an all day for $3) I would just pay the money instead of going to all of that trouble.

It sucked though one week when I had to work swing shifts though and the train I caught was the last train. Many times I wound up just riding all the way home because I'd get to the station and there would be 4 people with bikes waiting there, and the trains that late at night were two car trains. With the two bike per train car limit, and the potential for bikes already being on the coming train, I'd just saddle up and ride home. Usually would get there 15 minutes later than if I rode the train anyway.

I'd usually buy the tickets in a 10 ticket book though, which made the cost a dollar instead of $1.25.

Those were the days. I was in a lot better shape then too because of the fact I usually rode the bike more than the light rail, except in the fall/winter months.

I haven't been on a bike for more than a few hundred feet in over 10 years :/