PDA

View Full Version : Inconsiderate assholes

K7SGJ
09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
My brother in-law is older and has a hard time getting around. So, this morning, his the air-conditioning in his house quit. He has cats, and like I say, he isn't in the best of health. With all the rain the last couple of days, it's pretty humid, too. It will be a few days before he can get it looked at, so I ran by a nearby Home Depot to buy him a portable AC unit. It was like $350, and I figured I could use it in my garage when he no longer needs it. No big deal.

I come out, and some fuck had run into the rear quarter panel of my truck. Son of a bitch, I was really pissed, still am, actually. So I have a guy that does body work for me, and he will only charge a little over a grand to fix it. Of course, my deductible is a grand, naturally.

I really wish I would have caught this asshole trying to drive away. I would have gladly loosened his/her lug nuts with my tire iron. The degree of lack of consideration of people never cease to astound me. Just when you think the world deserves a break, and your willing to forgive mankind for killing off damn near all the all blue whales, some fucker pulls this shit.

What an asshole.https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13018&stc=1

W5BRM
09-08-2014, 06:00 PM
I really wish I would have caught this asshole trying to drive away. I would have gladly loosened his/her lug nuts with my tire iron.

Fixed that for ya!

NQ6U
09-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Whew. When I saw this thread in the index, I thought it was gonna be about me. Again.

K7SGJ
09-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Whew. When I saw this thread in the index, I thought it was gonna be about me. Again.

You're my favorite Pope, and you know I would never diss you like that. Unless you hit my fucking truck and split.

NA4BH
09-08-2014, 08:42 PM
See if the place you were at has any surveillance cameras.

K7SGJ
09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
See if the place you were at has any surveillance cameras.

I went in and asked. They will only release them to law enforcement or by court order. Some shit about insurance liability and all that shit. He then did a little dance about the quality of their cameras isn't great, and it probably would be of no help anyway. They said had I been run over, that might be different since LEOs would be involved. But since it was private property, that was different. I bet if it were his vehicle, they would see it differently. The fuckers. Shit, I told him for the cost of a mouthpiece, I could buy a fleet of new trucks.

NA4BH
09-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Don't you have to have an accident report before any repairs can be done? You gotta have one around here. Call the police and get a report, ask them to request the video.

K7SGJ
09-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Don't you have to have an accident report before any repairs can be done? You gotta have one around here. Call the police and get a report, ask them to request the video.

Out here, an accident report is only necessary if Insurance company is involved. Even then, not always on a hit and run with only minor property damage. Since this was on private property, the police wouldn't even respond. In fact, they don't even respond when it is on public property. I had two of my car windows shot out a few years back, and they wouldn't dispatch. They took the report over the phone.

PA5COR
09-09-2014, 03:03 AM
Bummer...
Our insurance companies have a fund for that and would pay the damage from that fund, everyone that has insurance pays into that fund a few euro's a year, and if you get damage from a motor vehicle and the perp does a runner, you get paid out.

You need to report it to the police though, and with that report you send in the claim.
Really sucks for people hitting your car and do a runner...

KG4CGC
09-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Welcome to Fucking America. Where you have the Fucking Right, to get Fucked. The deeper your pockets, the more tender your Fucking.

N2CHX
09-09-2014, 11:31 AM
My first motorcycle got trashed in the parking lot of a doctors office. Whoever did it picked it up and put it back like nothing happened. The entire right side was trashed. Cost me a grand to get it fixed.

A week and a half ago, right after we put $4000 into the Prius, Dan was sitting in it at his PT office, texting me and some old guy came along, tried pulling into the space next to him and scraped the shit out of the left side. This was TWO DAYS after we got it back from the body shop to have the right side and front end fixed, from when he got T-boned. The guy tried playing it like nothing happened but then a lady across the parking lot called out that she saw everything, so the guy offered Dan cash and asked him not to call the insurance company.

So... I feel ya. That sucks. Too bad you weren't sitting in it when it happened.

W3WN
09-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Few years back, I was sitting in the parking lot of the local post office, preparing to leave. Woman in the car next to me (I was waiting for her to pull out) scrapes the passenger side doors... and doesn't stop, but continues. I got out, as some witnesses stopped her. While the damage was minor, just some scraped paint and a minor ding (cosmetic, not structural) she got all huffy, like how DARE I stop her for "nothing". ($500 to repaint the door isn't exactly "nothing"). Turned out one of the witnesses was an off-duty cop for that township, who told her to turn off the car & hand over her insurance information, or he'd call in and have her ticketed not just for the collision, but for attempting to leave the scene of the accident. (She shut up, very unhappily handed the info over, and her insurance paid for everything)

When the boss's Mazda got hit, a couple of years ago, she neglected to call the cops; she didn't know better. The other party changed her story to the insurance company (Erie, same one we have). The boss got gently scolded by the insurance adjuster -- next time, call the cops and have a report filed. They officially termed it "no fault" because of the changed story, and while the adjuster told the boss he believed her, without a police report or witnesses, they can't prove (in a court of law) that the other party was lying to avoid responsibility.

Once witnessed a car getting rear-ended. Driver was making a right turn from Penn Avenue onto 9th Street; car behind him hit his rear bumper as he was turning. THAT car was straddling the two "inbound" lanes; had it been in the left land like it should have been, nothing would have happened. I gave my business card to the driver who was hit (he was fine, the damage was minor, but he was waiting for the cops), told him to call me if he needed a witness. (2 other witnesses, one of whom was a co-worker, did the same)

He called me a couple of days later to tell me that the other driver's insurance was covering it... and that the driver, who was in a company car, at first tried to blame it all on him. As soon as she heard that there were witnesses, she admitted to the truth. I wasn't contacted by them, but her employer contacted my co-worker, to verify her story. Incidentally, the company car was a mobile news SUV from a local TV station... come to think of it, the woman who hit the boss worked for the same TV station... nah, has to be a coincidence...

w6tmi
09-10-2014, 02:42 PM

I thought it was going to be related to those that can't find their own arseholes.

KJ3N
09-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I thought it was going to be related to those that can't find their own arseholes.

They're on QRDead.

K0RGR
09-10-2014, 03:20 PM
I'd still file the police report. This is a hit and run - that's a bit more serious than a fender bender, and probably more than just a traffic offense in your state, so it should be worth the cop's time to get the video and check it out. If they ran somebody over on the way out of the lot, would the police ignore that too?