PDA

View Full Version : Ride safely, drive safely.

N2CHX
09-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Sad story. Drivers need to be aware, but also; bikers need to ride carefully. In this case, he was going 97 mph. I really don't blame the car driver here.

WARNING: Triggering if you have been in an accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2xStb0R-c

K7SGJ
09-04-2014, 10:50 PM
That is exactly what happened to my son, thankfully he lived, although he got busted up pretty badly.

That video is very moving.

W2NAP
09-05-2014, 09:22 AM
the only reason someone would need to be going that fast is getting away from someone or something trying to kill them, other then that there is no reason to go over the speed limit. specially on a bike.

kb2vxa
09-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Car drivers are crazy and bikers blame them. Bikers are crazy and car drivers blame them. Cops will tell you there are 3 sides to every story, your story, his story, and the truth. They'll also tell you when there are 10 witnesses to an incident they get 10 different stories. Now what do YOU have to say about the speed demon who got himself killed weaving around cars obeying the law? I'll not judge, I've said enough already.

K7SGJ
09-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Car drivers are crazy and bikers blame them. Bikers are crazy and car drivers blame them. Cops will tell you there are 3 sides to every story, your story, his story, and the truth. They'll also tell you when there are 10 witnesses to an incident they get 10 different stories. Now what do YOU have to say about the speed demon who got himself killed weaving around cars obeying the law? I'll not judge, I've said enough already.

I can't say, because I wasn't there. But in my son's case, he was doing 45 in a 45, and a woman turned in front of him and stopped. He T-boned the car so badly it bent the frame and the rood was bent up. Fortunately, he went over the top (as opposed to just hitting the car broadside with his body) and landed about 40 feet away. His helmet was destroyed, but wearing it definitely saved his life. The woman's kids were in the back and were airlifted to Children's hospital for glass cuts.

Oh yeah. Only one version of that story. The cop that witnessed it, and the camera footage.

KJ3N
09-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Interesting timing...

About an hour and a half ago, I watched some idiot on a ninja-type bike racing up a 4-lane road (2 in each direction). The speed limit is 45. My guess is he was doing about 70. Weaved in and out of both lanes, around cars, and even proceeded to pass on the shoulder, never once slowing down.

I wish I had a video camera. I can only hope karma catches up with that asshole. I'll not shed a tear.

W2NAP
09-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Interesting timing...

About an hour and a half ago, I watched some idiot on a ninja-type bike racing up a 4-lane road (2 in each direction). The speed limit is 45. My guess is he was doing about 70. Weaved in and out of both lanes, around cars, and even proceeded to pass on the shoulder, never once slowing down.

I wish I had a video camera. I can only hope karma catches up with that asshole. I'll not shed a tear.

I see idiot kids doing that shit around here all the time. one of these days the kids are going to meet mr 18 wheeler and I hope I ain't a witness to that.

W5BRM
09-05-2014, 04:02 PM
I see idiot kids doing that shit around here all the time. one of these days the kids are going to meet mr 18 wheeler and I hope I ain't a witness to that.

And I hope I'm ain't the one driving the 18 wheeler!

NQ6U
09-05-2014, 04:06 PM

No shit. 18-wheelers are hard on bikes. I've seen the aftermath.

W5BRM
09-05-2014, 04:12 PM
No shit. 18-wheelers are hard on bikes. I've seen the aftermath.

NSFW! Link leads to Graphic imagery. Click at your own peril.

http://ettanps.blogspot.com/2008/09/man-hits-back-of-truck-at-120mph-gets.html

I don't like posting stuff like this usually but in this case...

Feel free to remove it if it violates any policies.

w2amr
09-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Sad story. Drivers need to be aware, but also; bikers need to ride carefully. In this case, he was going 97 mph. I really don't blame the car driver here.

WARNING: Triggering if you have been in an accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2xStb0R-c
Some people just seem to have a death wish.

NQ6U
09-05-2014, 05:53 PM
NSFW! Link leads to Graphic imagery. Click at your own peril.

http://ettanps.blogspot.com/2008/09/man-hits-back-of-truck-at-120mph-gets.html

I don't like posting stuff like this usually but in this case...

Feel free to remove it if it violates any policies.

Brian, you know somebody tried to blame that wreck on the truck driver...

W5BRM
09-05-2014, 06:05 PM
HAHA Yeah no doubt!

Actually, I don't think the driver ever had any blame aimed at him in this particular case. It was clearly a rear end accident and the fact the photo's were made public... well the cops didn't wanna look bad. I searched a bit and I don't see any mention of civil suits so the family more than likely just let it go.

W2NAP
09-05-2014, 06:37 PM

well as for around here, if you ain't picking up and delivering to the place cross the road it won't be you.

n2ize
09-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Interesting timing...

There are plenty of jerks on motorcycles, no doubt. There are also plenty of good drivers out there who handle a motorcycle with care and respect. As for me, when I drive I am a jerk, I like to go fast. One of the main reasons I don't ride a motorcycle. Between my driving fast and the lunatics on the roads these days it's a deadly combo...

n2ize
09-05-2014, 07:07 PM
the only reason someone would need to be going that fast is getting away from someone or something trying to kill them, other then that there is no reason to go over the speed limit. specially on a bike.

Yes there is.... desire and thrill.

KG4CGC
09-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Speed limits apply.
The ability of your bike applies.
The ability of the rider applies.
The ability of others to see a bike applies 100x more than all that.
Drivers just don't see bikes. It's not programmed in at an early age and the only reason I see them is because in driver's ed, coach was a rider and he taught me during a lane change after I only checked the mirror and not my blind spot after he told me to make the lane change.

K7SGJ
09-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Speed limits apply.
Drivers just don't see bikes. It's not programmed in at an early age and the only reason I see them is because in driver's ed, coach was a rider and he taught me during a lane change after I only checked the mirror and not my blind spot after he told me to make the lane change.

Don't forget the law of gravity, inertia and mass, and all the other laws and principals of physics.

KG4CGC
09-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Don't forget the law of gravity, inertia and mass, and all the other laws and principals of physics.

Tushbit

W2NAP
09-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Speed limits apply.

I always look for bikes. Problem is we expect people to do the speed limit or close to it.. not 120 in a 60

kb2vxa
09-06-2014, 11:43 AM
The Allman Brothers come to mind.

KG4CGC
09-07-2014, 09:02 AM
I always look for bikes. Problem is we expect people to do the speed limit or close to it.. not 120 in a 60

Well then, I think they SHOULD do 120 in a 60. Screw what I said about speed limits applying.

HUGH
09-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I regularly time heavy vehicles going over a crossroads where they are obliged to give way, the longest time was 7 seconds for a fully-laden 40 ton semi-trailer. In that time anyone could have arrived from the other side, which has a Z-bend with a slightly humped rail bridge. The speed limit is 40mph but patrons of the pub at the crossroads have seen bikers almost leave the road surface at that point.

Farm trailers, heavily loaded with giant hay bales take up to 12 seconds to cross the main highway at the end of our road. There is a 30mph sped limit but it's a favourite location for bikers to accelerate to dive-bomber engine speeds to take the following bends. Has a rider ever been buried on a giant hat bale and there appears to be no statutory limit to the number of bales piled up on a farm trailer? The practical limit is when they take down the 'phone wires!

Now this is a criticism of the more immature bikers but there are plenty of car drivers who like to fly through here too, they just make slightly less noise so are less obvious.

K0RGR
09-09-2014, 04:01 PM
I was a VERY defensive driver on a bike, and I still managed a couple good accidents and several near misses. Mine were one vehicle issues with huge potholes and piles of gravel on the highway. I did all I could to stay as far from larger vehicles as possible.

Some years after I gave up my riding career, I was going to work one morning when the sun was due east of me, filling my mirrors, and making it impossible to see what was behind me. I needed to change lanes to the right and did my best to look for traffic. Just as I was preparing to switch lanes, I heard the faint sound of a motorcycle engine. I looked again and there he was - right in my blind spot! The rider worked where I worked, and when I reached the office, I mentioned to him how hard it was to see him with the sun behind us, and that he was in the blind spot for my mirrors. I got a stern lecture about how I needed to watch more carefully for motorcycles.

Since then, I have paid much less attention. If the damn thing isn't big enough to be seen, it won't be my fault. If you press your 'rights' on a bike, you're asking for it.

KG4CGC
09-09-2014, 04:37 PM
If you press your 'rights' on a bike, you're asking for it.

That's kind of how it is because, you won't win.

N8YX
09-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Know how I know you don't ride?

N8YX
09-10-2014, 07:48 AM
And that's what makes a poor driver: Expecting others to play by the rules all the time.

Hint: I don't care if you have the right-of-way when entering the traffic circle...that garbage truck whose driver has his head up his ass is ALWAYS going to win the mass argument unless you're driving a semi.

This dynamic cost a former coworker his wife, their kids, her friend and the friend's kids when they went dancing with a truck through a local roundabout.

KG4CGC
09-10-2014, 08:29 AM
"The cemetery is full of people who had the right of way."
-some guy's dad.