PDA

View Full Version : Icom 756ProIII

KB3LAZ
07-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Wow what can I say its perfect, for me that is.
Obviously everyone's opinion will differ somewhat.
DSP and filters work great.
The mini scope is a wonderful toy that allows me to use my multi function meter simultaneously with the scope.
The receiver is astounding as are the EQ options.
The internal tuner works rather well, much better than the ones in my FT-920 and the IC-746.
The little things amaze me, lol, like the multiple backgrounds to choose from.
Another function that I love is that there are to clocks, I set one to local time and the other to Zulu.
As much as I like having the muti function meter I also enjoy having an analog S meter.
Controlling the rig is simple as there are not a lot of complicated menus like with the 7000.
I does not have 503 memories like my 7000 but it does not need them either since there are no vhf/uhf capabilities.
I have no dislikes or regrets as of yet, and I hope it stays that way.
I am definitely happy with my purchase.

KB3LAZ
10-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Wow what can I say its perfect, for me that is.
Obviously everyone's opinion will differ somewhat.
DSP and filters work great.
The mini scope is a wonderful toy that allows me to use my multi function meter simultaneously with the scope.
The receiver is astounding as are the EQ options.
The internal tuner works rather well, much better than the ones in my FT-920 and the IC-746.
The little things amaze me, lol, like the multiple backgrounds to choose from.
Another function that I love is that there are to clocks, I set one to local time and the other to Zulu.
As much as I like having the muti function meter I also enjoy having an analog S meter.
Controlling the rig is simple as there are not a lot of complicated menus like with the 7000.
I does not have 503 memories like my 7000 but it does not need them either since there are no vhf/uhf capabilities.
I have no dislikes or regrets as of yet, and I hope it stays that way.
I am definitely happy with my purchase.

Yep, still very much pleased with my purchase.

N2RJ
03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Glad to hear it. My ProIII is still bringing me lots of enjoyment. I would have liked more SO2V features though, such as stereo dual VFOs. I am itching to try SO2R.

KB3LAZ
03-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Glad to hear it. My ProIII is still bringing me lots of enjoyment. I would have liked more SO2V features though, such as stereo dual VFOs. I am itching to try SO2R.

I never thought about that before.

N2RJ
04-13-2009, 01:30 PM
After some time in the chair, I am wondering how another rig would perform in extreme contest duty.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my ProIII, but as a run rig I think I am pushing it to its limits. The close in dynamic range just isn't there for contest duty, something which I was warned about but didn't take too seriously.

I would really like the performance of a K3 but I hate the ergonomics of the damn thing. 7800 is out for now. I am wondering if I can muster up enough cash for a 7700. That would be interesting...

Or I might end up trying an inrad filter. $200 is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new radio.

KB3LAZ
04-14-2009, 01:07 AM
After some time in the chair, I am wondering how another rig would perform in extreme contest duty.

I dont really get into contesting.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my ProIII, but as a run rig I think I am pushing it to its limits. The close in dynamic range just isn't there for contest duty, something which I was warned about but didn't take too seriously.

I dont think that I will ever push my pro3 to the limits. I am more of a casual op than hardcore. I enjoy reading radio manuals, qst articles, and other related materials more than actually running the rig. Im getting bored with ssb....I really need to quit procrastinating and get the code down 100% or maybe try some digi work. Heck maybe I need to buy a kit. :mrgreen:

I would really like the performance of a K3 but I hate the ergonomics of the damn thing. 7800 is out for now. I am wondering if I can muster up enough cash for a 7700. That would be interesting...
Or I might end up trying an inrad filter. $200 is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new radio.
What about the new 7600? Do you think it will out perform the pro3 or be in the same league? I would not mind playing with a k3 or a new TT for that matter. I agree with you about the filter, try it.

GL

N1LAF
08-06-2009, 08:04 AM

What about the 7600?

N2RJ
08-06-2009, 12:19 PM

What about the 7600?

Might be better, but buying a new radio isn't top priority for me right now. Maybe next year for CQWW I'll get another rig as a "run rig" and delegate the ProIII as my mult rig.

KJ3N
08-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I would really like the performance of a K3 but I hate the ergonomics of the damn thing.
Doesn't bother me, but then I'm not a serious contester in the first place. :neener:

08-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Doesn't bother me, but then I'm not a serious contester in the first place. :neener:
With most of these radios anymore, they are all computer controlled anysways, so the ergonomics of the front panel don't really mean a lot.

Something with a clean output and a good front end on the receive is all I ask.

W0TRD
10-18-2009, 06:33 AM
....learning my way around the pro111,,,,,
it is a great rig,,,with many of the attributes previously mentioned....

i am a bit concerned that the little led on the power button has burned out at 3 months of use....what next....kinda like the screen on the 746pro that pooped at a year...
and for $50 shipping i can get my little bitty light fixed free of charge....

sign me
grumpy old turd

ad4mg
10-18-2009, 07:12 AM
....learning my way around the pro111,,,,,
it is a great rig,,,with many of the attributes previously mentioned....

i am a bit concerned that the little led on the power button has burned out at 3 months of use....what next....kinda like the screen on the 746pro that pooped at a year...
and for $50 shipping i can get my little bitty light fixed free of charge....

sign me
grumpy old turd
Hey, Mark, welcome to the Island!

KB3LAZ
12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I would really like the performance of a K3 but I hate the ergonomics of the damn thing.

God I made this post ages ago. I have had lots of time to play around with my "toy" and I still love it <3. :D

Anyway, <---superficial at times. I like my rigs to be smexy. :neener:

Edit: I read my original post and I need to learn how to proofread.

KB3LAZ
03-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Meh, I don't really have much to add after all if this time. I still very much love my pro III and was a good investment on my part. It gets lots of use even though I have not really done much operating I do have it on most of the time when I am home listing to something/someone or another. Audio is crisp and clean, features are wonderful, and it is all around enjoyable for me to play with and listen too.

As I have said many times before I am quite the casual op and am in no way hardcore into avid participation. TBH when it comes to radio communications it is listening, reading, and learing that catches my attention. I suppose that I am a SWL at heart.

Take my review for what you will...to me it is a very good radio and an even better investment. It brings me enjoyment.