WØTKX
09-02-2014, 08:08 PM
You gotta put it up on YouTube.

koØm
09-02-2014, 08:28 PM
You gotta put it up on YouTube.

WØTKX
09-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Well, it does need to be moved, or it ain't gonna happen.

Old dirt racetrack or something?

N8YX
09-03-2014, 11:11 AM
There are plenty of areas near Cincy which could safely host a Big Strapper gathering. Just don't do it in a location which draws unwanted attention.

Same can be said regarding QRO operation on CB in general. Behave like an idiot and/or run dirty and you're going to get popped.

K7SGJ
09-03-2014, 01:18 PM
There are plenty of areas near Cincy which could safely host a Big Strapper gathering. Just don't do it in a location which draws unwanted attention.

Same can be said regarding QRO operation on CB in general. Behave like an idiot and/or run dirty and you're going to get popped.

No kidding? They have big strapon gatherings in Cincy? Who Gnu?

koØm
09-03-2014, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=N8YX;605255]There are plenty of areas near Cincy which could safely host a Big Strapper gathering. Just don't do it in a location which draws unwanted attention.

n2ize
09-03-2014, 05:27 PM
I think the FCC should get off the CB'ers backs already. Haven;t they been bothering CB'ers long enough ? I was operating regularly and running power during the Reagan years and was never once visited by the Feces. I had thought they had finally come to their senses and ended CB enforcement for good. seems I was wrong. In any event once I got my ham ticket I quit operating CB.

kb2vxa
09-04-2014, 02:50 AM
"I think the FCC should get off the CB'ers backs already."
I think CBers should stop acting like alpha hotels, then the FCC would get off their backs. The same goes for hams, 14.313 and 27.025 are about the same sort of zoo. The FCC is an Equal Opportunity Enforcer, they give everybody an equal opportunity to receive an NAL.

"Haven;t they been bothering CB'ers long enough ?"
No, as long as there are alpha hotels there will be enforcement.

You were running power, I was running power, actually there was little QRP operation then and now. Power never was a problem, 100W or thereabouts never attracted the FCC's attention or anybody's for that matter, but REALLY HIGH power does. Then there is signal quality, high power doesn't mean a dirty signal, a dirty transmitter means a dirty signal and that attracts more attention than anything else, except maybe a dirty operator. Ah, here I am repeating what I've said many times before.......... but THIS station never got complaints and never got busted either.

w6tmi
09-10-2014, 02:53 PM
No kidding? They have big strapon gatherings in Cincy? Who Gnu?

Someone's gettin' pegged!

kb2vxa
09-11-2014, 10:41 AM
As in Margret straps on her man?

N2NH
09-19-2014, 12:35 AM
"I dig a pygmy by Charles Haughtry and the deaf aids. Phase one in which Doris gets her oats."

N8XE
09-19-2014, 09:58 AM
What got me interested in radio was my dad's CB shop in the basement. I heard my first DX in that shop (someone from England coming in). Dad always ran a clean signal and people would bring their radios to him to adjust. He also ran QRO.

Unlike some of his friends who insisted that if you had a 100W amp, that meant dead keyed should show 100W on the watt meter. sigh...

Anyways, dad now has his license and is working on learning CW. We are hanging out a bunch in my shop working on things. Right now we are working on a D104 silver eagle that I plan to use for SSB.

Brings back fond memories.

Jason N8XE (dad is N8WXE)

kd6nig
09-19-2014, 01:18 PM
The last time I saw someone try to record one of these events that I saw on youtube (I think it was probably in the first year youtube was in existance) the person doing the recording was able to record the setups, but when the person fired up their vehicle to do the actual transmit, the camera would make it all of two seconds being scrambled...and then the RF would cause it to turn off.

The video would come back after they finished their "transmission" again and the guy could turn the camera back on.

I'm guessing modern phones, etc, would do the same-the RF would just overload them.

I remember seeing setups where guys had 6 or more 100A alternators running on a belt under the hood to "power" their setups. One guy was revving his motor, "keyed down" and the camera stayed on-because the belt driving them broke and thus he didn't get his power output as soon as they stopped turning.

The one thing that cracked me up is the antennas they had on them. They made the porcupine vehicles some hams have look like nothing. The scary thing is that they likely drove them on the highway like that. Some of them would come driving into the lot where they were having the "keydown" and the antennae would be flopping around because they were not mounted very well.

KG4NEL
09-19-2014, 05:18 PM
I remember seeing setups where guys had 6 or more 100A alternators running on a belt under the hood to "power" their setups. One guy was revving his motor, "keyed down" and the camera stayed on-because the belt driving them broke and thus he didn't get his power output as soon as they stopped turning.

In another life, I was involved in things like this, except it was with car stereo, and the average intelligence was slightly higher:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/271014_10100377109226943_1337926_n.jpg?oh=b6e752d8 8cf1230e48c3330c54b0f256&oe=54C3D6FB&__gda__=1421948229_fce092daeb1c97bba5dfd6edc745d7b 4

You could barely hear anything outside the vehicle, which makes sense - if the point is to be as loud as possible to the sensor inside the vehicle, any sound going outside is just wasted energy. Multiple-alt setups were de riguer if the class allowed it.

kb2vxa
09-19-2014, 10:16 PM
I wasted 10 years of my life in Lizardbreath, the city that makes its own cheeze and the land of boom cars. I could hear them coming a mile away and followed their progress across town by the direction the noise was coming from. Occasionally I saw one pass as it buzzed and rattled along leaving a trail of nuts, bolts, and small metal objects behind. Surprisingly the biggest nut didn't fall off, the one driving it. I must admit their average intelligence was slightly higher than those who attend CB shootouts, you wouldn't catch me anywhere near RF fields that would make Nicola Tesla run for cover.

N8XE
09-22-2014, 09:42 AM
So here is a question....

You take a CBer with the 6 alternators and have them key down next to someone with a boom system... what would happen? Key down and the cones pop out of the coils?

Hmmm...

Jason N8XE

KG4NEL
09-22-2014, 10:09 AM
So here is a question....

You take a CBer with the 6 alternators and have them key down next to someone with a boom system... what would happen? Key down and the cones pop out of the coils?

Hmmm...

Jason N8XE

Probably. With two to four voice coils per sub, there's enough wire behind one of those subwoofer walls to build an ENIAC replica.

KG4NEL
09-22-2014, 10:23 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/265226_10100377109621153_4268753_o.jpg

Whoops.

kb2vxa
09-22-2014, 10:57 AM
First of all there's no such thing as a SUB woofer, just the same diameter as home hi-fi woofers with a very flexible surround in enclosures far too small to be meaningful. That's why they pop as above, one good transient and the cone goes flying... POS. Only one good thing about them, the ceramic magnets and pole pieces come in handy for various projects.

It would be interesting to have a boom car next to a CBlaster to find out if the CBlaster blows the boom car amps first or if the boom car amps rattle the CBlaster to pieces first. Now if the boomer knows that toobz are impervious to EMP we all know who the winner will be. These things make good P-P audio outputs just as they make good modulators. (Yeah, that's Timtron.)

KG4NEL
09-22-2014, 11:41 AM
First of all there's no such thing as a SUB woofer, just the same diameter as home hi-fi woofers with a very flexible surround in enclosures far too small to be meaningful. That's why they pop as above, one good transient and the cone goes flying... POS. Only one good thing about them, the ceramic magnets and pole pieces come in handy for various projects.

They're more resilient than you may think ;) I think that one died as the result of 4kW being applied to it...

With the cabin gain at low frequencies found in most cars, the low end extension of even little 1-cubic foot boxes is pretty impressive. But my favorites were the ones where the entire trunk was sealed off from the cabin to maximize airspace - as long as the woofer stayed together, you could get honest-to-goodness infrasound out of the thing...

koØm
09-22-2014, 12:07 PM
In another life, I was involved in things like this.....

About QRO in a Part 15 environment, an anonymous former (but then) CB'er was sitting in a line at the Fast Food Drive-thru and it was taking forever -- with full knowledge of his transmitting capabilities, the unnamed former CB'er keyed down his QRO appliance and said, [QUOTE] "What in the hell is taking you so long, did you have to go out and kill the cow"?

KG4NEL
09-22-2014, 12:19 PM
:lol:

N8XE
09-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Alas, the world did not come to an end when all of the "8-pill" transistor operators shot-it-out. As rumor has it (I and the other holder of a Amateur Radio License didn't show up), it actually turned into a Chicken Band-mud-duck love fest / reunion.

About QRO in a Part 15 environment, an anonymous former (but then) CB'er was sitting in a line at the Fast Food Drive-thru and it was taking forever -- with full knowledge of his transmitting capabilities, the unnamed former CB'er keyed down his QRO appliance and said,

Immediately, the whole staff of the restaurant froze and stared at each other somewhat in fear and complete amazement; their eyes were as big as Moon Pies.

The modulation envelope had overwhelmed the audio system and captured the electronic bus of the Point Of Sales devices and, zeroed out all registers; unbelievably, the Uber Manager was prepared for just such an event and he passed out order pads and ink pens to his staff.

Somewhere in the middle of the DSR was a big gap that was marked, "Reboot" !

That is damn funny! In Kevin Mitnick's book, Ghost in the Wires (http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Wires-Adventures-Worlds-Wanted/dp/0316037729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411407239&sr=8-1&keywords=ghosts+in+the+wire), he was talking about a time he would overwhelm the drive through speaker and acted like he was taking there order. A few times he would tell women that pulled up that certain parts of their body were.. ahem.. undesirable. Hilarity ensues.

Jason N8XE

N8XE
09-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Another funny story:

Dad was a truck driver and his buddies were driving through someplace in PA (or MD.. can't remember which). A band was playing and I guess they overheard my some of them announce over the PA system that they leaked into what they wanted to drink. When they got there, they noticed their drinks were ready ahead of time.

Jason N8XE

kd6nig
09-22-2014, 04:19 PM
I had a friend back in tech school who had a "kicker" in his car along with his CB and his favorite past-time was pulling up next to people with their stereos cranked and yell something over the radio.

Usually it was "turn that S**T down" or something like that.

It was pretty comical to see the people in the car looking around trying to figure out where it came from.

He was the only guy I knew that embraced both hobbies well. On CB...he was a clown. On HR...you'd never know he was on CB.

He was truly radio bipolar.

kb2vxa
09-22-2014, 07:29 PM
KG4NEL:
"They're more resilient than you may think..."
The problem is as I said, they're TOO resilient so even if they don't pop overshoot causes distortion. If a speaker can't track the waveform it's a POS.
"With the cabin gain at low frequencies found in most cars..."
Cabin gain? Before we go any further I strongly urge you to learn about acoustics, wavelength, enclosure design, etc. and be more of an audiophile than an audiophool, OK?

koØm:
"...the unnamed former CB'er keyed down his QRO appliance and said..."
He could have had a LOT more fun if he programs the frequencies fast food joints use for their headsets in his VHF/UHF transceiver, the ones that communicate with the drive through are particularly interesting.
"...he passed out order pads and ink pens to his staff."
It can't be McDouchebag's or Booger Fling, pimple puss can't add 2 and 2 and can't make change by counting up from price to cash tended. That's why they have little pictures on the register keys and a computerized order system.

N8XE:
"In Kevin Mitnick's book, Ghost in the Wires, he was talking about a time he would overwhelm the drive through speaker and acted like he was taking there order."
Kevin is more of a genius than I am, I turned my electronics hobby into a career, he turned his into a very profitable systems security business. Actually he overwhelmed the drive through frequency with more power than pimple puss' headset as described above. Pranking them is, eh, fairly common and done from a discreet distance in the parking lot, 5W easily overpowers a 100mW Part 15 device.

kd6nig:
"He was the only guy I knew that embraced both hobbies well."
He was until I showed up.
"On CB...he was a clown."
Besides an avid experimenter I was a clown, a prankster, a mystery reciting beat poetry, the most interesting man in the world, and I got laid a lot.
"On HR...you'd never know he was on CB."
On the air I never mentioned CB, the subject never came up. The only reason you know is because I like to talk about the great times I had, I'm the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends, Dos Equis sucks, drink Yuengling.

Here are a couple of classics, those free Kevin stickers showed up in the darnedest places. Make that four classics, three friends, phone phreaks (in my phreaking days I spoke toll free with Crunch and Woz) turned hackers, gone legit, John Draper aka Captain Crunch, Kevin Mitnick handle unknown, and Steve Wozniak aka Woz. Steve Jobs too was a phreaker/hacker too, see where hobbies can get you when you play your cards right?

KG4NEL
09-22-2014, 08:09 PM
The problem is as I said, they're TOO resilient so even if they don't pop overshoot causes distortion. If a speaker can't track the waveform it's a POS.

Very true. Although in the last ten years, there's been a lot of work done with motor designs that optimize the BL curve for a particular app.

Cabin gain? Before we go any further I strongly urge you to learn about acoustics, wavelength, enclosure design, etc. and be more of an audiophile than an audiophool, OK?

*shrug*

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/other/cartf/

n2ize
09-28-2014, 08:45 PM
CB is very important to me. More important than HR. I am seriously considering getting back into CB in a big way. I want to run at least 5 to 10 Megawatts of power. I don;t know how many pills will be needed for that amount of power that but I do know they are gonna have to be very potent pills.

W5BRM
09-29-2014, 01:12 PM
I don;t know how many pills will be needed for that amount of power that but I do know they are gonna have to be very potent pills.

Lemmons! :shifty:

n2ize
10-02-2014, 06:44 PM
How do you know your doctor is a CB'er ?? When he prescribes your pills and you open it and find a vial full of transistors :)