PDA

View Full Version : HRO Dallas! WOOHOO!!!

W5BRM
09-02-2014, 05:01 PM
http://www.hamradio.com/news_announcements.cfm

Finally got a ham supply store nearby to where I live... Thats about 3 hrs away from me AND my employer has a terminal less then 40 miles from there as well! Texas Towers has a store down there but they are sooo expensive and limited in their stock, I don't bother with them.

NY4Q
09-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I love HRO. We have a great store in Atlanta and the store manager Mark (KJ4VO) is an awesome dude!

K7SGJ
09-02-2014, 07:14 PM
The guys at the one in Phoenix, are really nice. Even though I can save a few bucks ordering stuff online, I try to support them as much as possible. Many hams don't support their local ham store, and that's why so few exist any more. More often than not, Gary will meet any online price, or throw in something as an incentive, so at the most, the sales tax is about the only thing that makes the local purchase higher than the online price. The nice thing about having a local vendor, is you can actually go in and evaluate whatever you are considering purchasing. You can't put a price on that. Return freight for returning a radio you bought online that wasn't exactly what you wanted 'aint cheap.

The only other HRO I've been to is the one in San Diego. They were nice, too, but threw me out when I mentioned I knew Carl and Pat. Who Gnu?

XE1/N5AL
09-02-2014, 07:28 PM
I love HRO. We have a great store in Atlanta and the store manager Mark (KJ4VO) is an awesome dude!
Ditto on Mark. He's a great guy. I remember when he first started working at the Atlanta HRO, around 1988, if I remember correctly. He was a kid in his mid-20's back then. Now, he's the big boss and everyone knows to stay off his lawn!

The new Plano, TX, HRO store is just a couple of miles from where I went to High School. Glen, K9STH, should be happy with the news, 'cause he still lives in the area.

Besides the Atlanta store, the only other HRO I've been to is in Sunnyvale, CA. I visited the Sunnyvale store a few times, back when I lived in that neck of the woods.

K7SGJ
09-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Ditto on Mark. He's a great guy. I remember when he first started working at the Atlanta HRO, around 1988, if I remember correctly. He was a kid in his mid-20's back then. Now, he's the big boss and everyone knows to stay off his lawn!

The new Plano HRO store is just a couple of miles from where I went to High School. Glen, K9STH, should be happy with the news, 'cause he still lives in the area.

I wonder if they call on him for those "really tough" repairs?

NQ6U
09-02-2014, 08:53 PM
The only other HRO I've been to is the one in San Diego. They were nice, too, but threw me out when I mentioned I knew Carl and Pat. Who Gnu?

Yeah, they'll do that. Bastids.

Seriously, the staff at the SD HRO are good guys who know a lot about radio. Like La Rata, I try to buy from them as much as possible, even when I can get it online for a little cheaper.

XE1/N5AL
09-02-2014, 10:14 PM
According to Google Maps, the new Plano HRO store is only half a mile away from the Texas Towers store.

From the 1960's through the early 1990's, there was another ham radio store, in Dallas, called Electronics Center. It was the premier store in the area during its 60's-70's heyday. Aside from selling all the newest gear on the market, they also had a big wall loaded with used trade-ins. As a kid with a modest allowance, about they only thing I could do was to enter the store and drool.

One Saturday per month, there was a tailgate, flea market in the store parking lot. Hams would bring "what they got" and then do some horse trading with other area hams.

I don't know why the store isn't still in existence. Maybe, their location, near Downtown Dallas, was too far away for hams living in the rapidly expanding suburbs to the north (where newly-opened Texas Towers was courting customers). As I recall, Electronics Center also started expanding into the highly-competitive personal computer market. Computers, of course, soon became commodity items.

K7SGJ
09-02-2014, 10:20 PM
According to Google Maps, the new Plano HRO store is only half a mile away from the Texas Towers store.

From the 1960's through the early 1990's, there was another ham radio store, in Dallas, called Electronics Center. It was the premier store in the area during its 60's-70's heyday. Aside from selling all the newest gear on the market, they also had a big wall loaded with used trade-ins. As a kid with a modest allowance, about they only thing I could do was to enter the store and drool.

One Saturday per month, there was a tailgate, flea market in the store parking lot. Hams would bring "what they got" and then do some horse trading with other area hams.

I don't know why the store isn't still in existence. Maybe, their location, near Downtown Dallas, was too far away for hams living in the rapidly expanding suburbs to the north (where newly-opened Texas Towers was courting customers). As I recall, Electronics Center also started expanding into the highly-competitive personal computer market. Computers, of course, soon became commodity items.

That sounds like a place that was in downtown Phoenix around the early 60s. Southwest Electronics had all the latest ham gear, and a huge inventory of trade in stuff. Much like you, all I did was spend the drooling, and then catch a bus for the long ride home with nada.

W3WN
09-02-2014, 10:54 PM

When I first moved to the Pittsburgh area, there was a downtown ham/electronics store called Tydings Electronics. The owner had sold out to another store, South Hills Electronics. SHE eventually folded ALL of their over the counter retail stores in favor of wholesale & bulk sales, more lucarative. SHE is still in existence, although under another name due to mergers, but they don't want to be bothered with the average person.

There had also been a rival downtown store called Cameradio. Yup. Cameras along with radios. They too were bought out by another store, and got folded into Cam/RPC, and their customer retail phased out.

So the corporate entity behind Electronics Center may still be around, but the retail store may have been deemed not profitable or not profitable enough.

N8YX
09-03-2014, 06:30 AM
There was a little corner electronics shop in the Kenmore (Akron) area back in the late 70s-early 80s. They sold a fair amount of ham gear on consignment and had a number of milsurp/industrial surplus offerings available from time to time.

I got my first look at Heathkit SB10x, SB30x and 40x equipment via that outfit - they certainly had a lot of it in and out their doors.

Ended up buying a Clegg Interceptor and a couple pieces of UHF/SHF mil gear, along with a bazillion discrete parts and other project-centric supplies. They closed shop in the mid 80s. Sad.

KG4CGC
09-03-2014, 09:06 AM
I've been to the HRO store in Atlanta a couple of times. Tee tiny little place but it will do. I'd go out there again if I really needed something. These days I do AR on the bleeding edge of minimalism.

N2NH
09-03-2014, 11:25 AM
AES played hard-ball with me on a mistake they made a few years back and I switched to HRO. HRO is a much better store but the nearest one is over 200 miles away from me. Wish they'd open one a bit closer.

Congrats on the new store. Tell them to open one in upstate NY. ;)

n2ize
09-03-2014, 04:54 PM
The closest "ham radio store" we had around here was actually an electronics outfit in the 1970's but it was run by a bunch of hams so they had a lot of gear. That is long gone. The second closest was Barry's Electronics in Manhattan but they were overpriced, had lousy service, an arrogant staff, and to my best knowledge is today out of business.

I can't imagine a ham radio store doing well here in this area. Hobby shops are also a bad business venture around here. RC cars, planes, model trains, and other hobby type stuff just don't do well round here. not enough interest in suburbia.

Hard to even find a good music store around here. Most of my music supplies, i.e strings, tuners, bridges, rests, etc. I get from online shops. If I need any work done on my instrument I need to travel into Connecticut or into New York City.

If you're into these types of hobbies and interests the Internet and online shopping (and mail order) is the best way (and often the only) way to go.

All people seem to be interested round here are plastic kids toys, lawns, home improvement and TV.

Fortunately we have an MEI Microcenter nearby which has a good selection of computer related stuff.

n0iu
09-03-2014, 09:11 PM
If you are going to order something online, I have two words to say about that: DX Engineering.

wa6mhz
09-04-2014, 10:10 AM
The Wonderful HRO here in SDG has FREE DONUTS and COFFEE on Saturday mornings!! Well worth the trip all the way from East County to score a nice free donut!

KC2UGV
09-04-2014, 10:49 AM
I am GOING to randomly capitalize WORDS for NO reason from now ON. Because PEOPLE love random shouts DURING a conversation WITH others.

n2ize
09-04-2014, 02:31 PM
I am GOING to randomly capitalize WORDS for NO reason from now ON. Because PEOPLE love random shouts DURING a conversation WITH others.

lol sounds LIKE A good IDEA.

W7XF
09-04-2014, 10:20 PM
BUSHTIT. Say no MORE.

K7SGJ
09-04-2014, 10:23 PM
BUSHTIT. Say no MORE.

YOU'VE said it ALL.

XE1/N5AL
09-05-2014, 12:35 AM
BUSHTIT. Say no MORE.

W5BRM
09-05-2014, 07:50 AM

Well Said!

N8YX
09-05-2014, 11:16 AM
If you are going to order something online, I have two words to say about that: DX Engineering.
I'm close enough to shop there in person.

For those who don't know, they're located inside the Summit Racing complex near Tallmadge, OH.

W5BRM
09-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I've driven by there a bunch of times but never had the chance to stop. Thing I like about their place is it appears they have room for big trucks like I drive. Their building is right next to I76. One of these days, I'll get a chance to stop by once I get back to work

n2ize
09-05-2014, 08:26 PM
YOU'VE said it ALL.

BUSHTIT AND say NO more.

KG4CGC
09-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Great place to visit but buy online for better deals.

KC2UGV
09-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Great place to visit but buy online for better deals.

You MEAN great place TO visit but buy online FOR BETTER deals, amirite?

n2ize
09-07-2014, 02:15 PM
You MEAN great place TO visit but buy online FOR BETTER deals, amirite?

That's BETTER.