PDA

View Full Version : Light The Grill!

W3WN
08-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Ever since the Boss had her gastric bypass surgery, there are many foods that she simply can no longer eat.

One of them is red meat. Specifically, hamburgers & hot dogs.

So for the last few years, the grill has been much less active. We used to grill most nights, either burgers or chicken. Now it's been mainly chicken, one or two nights a week.

Fast forward to last week. When we visited the kids, they cooked burgers for dinner.

Turkey burgers.

The boss loved them. More importantly, her stomach could handle them.

I made some for dinner tonight. Nothing fancy; ground turkey, mixed in a little garlic salt, parsley, oregano, basil; added in some chopped onions, mixed, former into patties, and on the hot grill.

Success!

I may have to stock up on charcoal again...

W5BRM
08-31-2014, 08:54 PM
Wish I could get my insurance company to cover a GBP. Been trying for a decade to lose and just can't do it. Glad The Boss found good meat to eat.

The XYL here grilled some burgers, hot dogs and brats. Made a simple tuna pasta salad. with some peas in it. It was quite tasty, but too much pasta is not good so I tried to limit myself on it. I need to get the better half to cook more chicken. I love a good chicken breast or a quarter grilled with bbq sauce on it.

K7SGJ
08-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Ever since the Boss had her gastric bypass surgery, there are many foods that she simply can no longer eat.

One of them is red meat. Specifically, hamburgers & hot dogs.

So for the last few years, the grill has been much less active. We used to grill most nights, either burgers or chicken. Now it's been mainly chicken, one or two nights a week.

Fast forward to last week. When we visited the kids, they cooked burgers for dinner.

Turkey burgers.

The boss loved them. More importantly, her stomach could handle them.

I made some for dinner tonight. Nothing fancy; ground turkey, mixed in a little garlic salt, parsley, oregano, basil; added in some chopped onions, mixed, former into patties, and on the hot grill.

Success!

I may have to stock up on charcoal again...

If she can handle, and you all like fish, Tilapia is a great choice for a grilling basket on the grill. We have it at least twice a week. It is quick, tasty, and there are a shit-ton of recipes out there. We do fish tacos, lemon pepper, marinade in Italian salad dressing, lemon-butter-basil-rosemary, and a whole slew of others. We usually have it with rice I make in the rice maker. Usually, half white rice and red Quinoa. Season to taste. Then of course there is the bass and rainbow trout we catch when we go to the lake or mountain streams.

It is very tasty. and very healthy.

KK4AMI
09-01-2014, 09:09 AM
My wife and I have started to adapt to eating for the "Old and Infirmed". Gone are the inch thick T-bones, 1/4 lb beef anything, Brats and hotdogs. Bring on the fish fillets, chicken breasts and turkey burgers. Ground turkey is surprisingly agile on the grill. You can add almost anything to it to make it taste good. I use Sauers Seasoning Salt, shrooms, onions and bread crumbs to change it up once in a while. Adding bread crumbs makes it taste like a cheap meatball (Good for spaghetti)

PS- I'm experimenting with crab and salmon patties, but so far I still like them better in the frying pan.

n2ize
09-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Nobody can operate grill like I can. I pick everything out personally, from the specific type of charcoal or wood that I use, to the meat that I personally inspect and have butchered to my specifications before purchasing it, right on down to the most minute detail. When I serve my grilled foods nobody walks away from the table dissatisfied. And I take my grilling very seriously, regardless of whether I'm grilling a frankfurter or the finest cut of steak. I receive nothing but complements from my guests.

K7SGJ
09-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Nobody can operate grill like I can. I pick everything out personally, from the specific type of charcoal or wood that I use, to the meat that I personally inspect and have butchered to my specifications before purchasing it, right on down to the most minute detail. When I serve my grilled foods nobody walks away from the table dissatisfied. And I take my grilling very seriously, regardless of whether I'm grilling a frankfurter or the finest cut of steak. I receive nothing but complements from my guests.

What is this thing called steak, of which you speak?

NQ6U
09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
What is this thing called steak, of which you speak?

It's a type of meat that comes in tube form. AKA, a "hot dog."

K7SGJ
09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
It's a type of meat that comes in tube form. AKA, a "hot dog."

Now that I'm familiar with. And how are these arranged to make this thing called T-bone I have heard so much about? I assume one could arrange two of them to form a Tee, but how do you get boned?

XE1/N5AL
09-01-2014, 02:35 PM
My wife and I have started to adapt to eating for the "Old and Infirmed".
A big sigh of relief! The first time I read that sentence, I didn't notice the word "for".

W3WN
09-01-2014, 04:25 PM
What is this thing called steak, of which you speak?It's the muscle of a bovine, separated, sliced, and cooked.

K7SGJ
09-01-2014, 06:27 PM
It's the muscle of a bovine, separated, sliced, and cooked.

Who Gnu? Sounds expensive, and a bummer for said bovine.

KK4AMI
09-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Who Gnu? Sounds expensive, and a bummer for said bovine.

Oh well, bovine bummer, that is not steak, that would be called rump roast.