PDA

View Full Version : FCC Gets Serious About 11 Meter Enforcement

N2NH
08-31-2014, 03:16 PM
The FCC is starting to seriously enforce the rules for the CB Radio crowd.

Right on the heels of a whopping $14,000 proposed forfeiture (http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-proposes-to-fine-cber-14-000-for-not-permitting-station-inspection) for a Florida CBer for failing to allow a station inspection, the FCC Enforcement Bureau is recommending a $22,000 fine for a New York CBer. The FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability (NAL (http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0828/DA-14-1235A1.pdf)) in the case of James Engle of Lewiston, New York, on August 28, alleging that he interfered with the communications of other CBers, operated with an external linear amplifier, operated without authorization, and disregarded earlier FCC warnings.

“Mr Engle was warned repeatedly in writing by the Enforcement Bureau that his actions violated the law, and his apparent disregard for the Commission’s authority warrants an increased penalty,” the FCC said in the NAL.

No license doesn't mean no rules.

FCC Ups the Ante in Proposing Huge Fine on CB Operator (http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-ups-the-ante-in-proposing-huge-fine-on-cb-operator)

n2ize
09-01-2014, 01:59 PM
He was probably causing a lot of rfi and the FCC got complaints. The funny part is that he could have avoided this by heeding the warnings that were sent to him.A person with half a brain would have at the very least decided to lay low for a while or clean up his act a bit. But he kept right on going with impunity and disregard. Now he'll have to pay the price for his arrogance.

KC2UGV
09-01-2014, 02:12 PM
He was probably causing a lot of rfi and the FCC got complaints. The funny part is that he could have avoided this by heeding the warnings that were sent to him.A person with half a brain would have at the very least decided to lay low for a while or clean up his act a bit. But he kept right on going with impunity and disregard. Now he'll have to pay the price for his arrogance.

Shockingly, this guy wasn't. He actually was running a pretty clean station, just really high power. I think he built a 2KW amplifier which would make most hams drool. He was also a pretty friendly guy.

Again, assuming this is the guy I think.

n2ize
09-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Shockingly, this guy wasn't. He actually was running a pretty clean station, just really high power. I think he built a 2KW amplifier which would make most hams drool. He was also a pretty friendly guy.

Again, assuming this is the guy I think.

Ah well, even with the cleanest station it is possible some neighbors getting RFI complain, the Feces shows uop and figures he's running far more power than he should but he continues to operate.

He should get his ham ticket, then he could run his amps legally. One of my neighbors complained to the FCC that I was coming through some cheap Chinese crap consumer electronics of his.I was running at most 100 - 300 watts carrier amplitude modulated (close to legal PEP) and although he complained to the Feces as far as the Feces was concerned I was a legally licences station operating within all legal limits. They sent him a book on RFI proofing consumer electronics and sent me a copy of the same book. I offered to wrk on the issue with the neighbor but then my day to day operations became sporadic and we never got together on it. Had I been operating CB I would have been up the crick without a paddle.

BTW... In my CB Daze when I was a Monster Station and running well in excess of what I should have been running the Feces was nowhere to be seen. Nor did I ever get an RFI complaint... That was during the Reaganian times.

NQ6U
09-01-2014, 09:07 PM
The guy who was cited was running high power and deliberately interfering with other people's transmissions so I doubt it was Mr. Friendly.

n2ize
09-02-2014, 04:07 AM
The guy who was cited was running high power and deliberately interfering with other people's transmissions so I doubt it was Mr. Friendly.

More like Mr. Meany. Thing that makes me wonder is that he was warned repeatedly yet ignored every warning. Shit, if I got a warning from the FCC (as a CB'er) I would at least stop operating and lay low for quite a while. I wouldn't even question it as the law sets a rather low power limit for CB.

N2CHX
09-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Lewiston eh? Must be all the nuclear waste.

N8YX
09-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Let's see them crack down on the Superbowlers.

K7SGJ
09-02-2014, 07:19 PM

Yeah, that seven-ten split is a bitch.

koØm
09-02-2014, 08:21 PM

The FCC said that last October 23, agents from the Commission’s Philadelphia office, responding to a complaint from a CB operator on 27.325 MHz, CB channel 32, tracked the interfering transmissions to Engle’s station and “heard him repeatedly interrupt ongoing transmissions of another CB operator.” The following day, the agents inspected Engle’s CB station and discovered two linear RF amplifiers. The FCC said Engle “admitted that he used one of the power amplifiers” the previous night. Testing showed the unit was capable of putting out nearly 150 W.

Does the FCC have to get a search warrant before they can knock on your door; why the "next day" inspection, if he's broadcasting illegally, why wait until the next day?

Yes, they are really getting serious; seriously stupid for chasing a Chicken Bander running 150 watts.

WØTKX
09-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Unless it was a really dirty 150 watts. There's some real shit amps out there.
Transistors are fantastic harmonic generators.

NQ6U
09-02-2014, 08:43 PM
No, the FCC does not need a warrant to inspect your station.

KC2UGV
09-03-2014, 06:08 AM
No, the FCC does not need a warrant to inspect your station.

Correct. The "warrant" in this case is the license by rule, or by process.

koØm
09-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Correct. The "warrant" in this case is the license by rule, or by process.

The real question is why do they monitor today and inspect tomorrow?

n2ize
09-03-2014, 05:21 PM
The real question is why do they monitor today and inspect tomorrow?

Back in the early 70's most stations used "handles" and were either unlicensed or didn't identify. That is how they operated when they "cleaned up" the band one summer, 1974 I think). They tracked down just abiut every CB'er in Westchester and then paid visits to each one when they were done. In the following weeks the 11 meter band was pretty much silent in Westchester but The Bronx was still extremely active Seems the FCC was not too anxious to go into the Bronx. I can't say I blame them. The Bronx was pretty rough in those days and knocking on peoples doors and insiting on coming into the premisis was a good way to get your neck broken.

kb2vxa
09-04-2014, 03:11 AM
"...if he's broadcasting illegally, why wait until the next day?"
They, like all inspectors usually schedule inspections and notify of the date and approximate time of those inspections. Normally they may inspect during business hours and usually do, but legally they may inspect ANY time the station is on the air.

"Yes, they are really getting serious; seriously stupid for chasing a Chicken Bander running 150 watts."
They weren't chasing a chicken running 150 watts, they were chasing a chicken deliberately interfering with another chicken. They didn't even know about the leenyars or how much power the one they tested was putting out until they found them during the inspection. Don't put the cart before the horse, locomotives can push trains, horses can't push carts.

"Seems the FCC was not too anxious to go into the Bronx."
Roger Nye The FCC Guy was stupid but he wasn't crazy. He tried to screw an N connector into an SO-239 and measure the power of a CB set with a Bird 43 having a 100W 450MHz slug in it, but he wasn't crazy enough to mess with the gangsters surrounding Fort Apache.