PDA

View Full Version : How you DON'T poke this bear!!

W7XF
08-30-2014, 04:26 AM
Just a routine trip to Homo Despot till....

A ditzy 22 yr old girl....PROBABLY texting, failed to notice that traffic was stopped in front of her till....BAM! And I was the unlucky soul at the end of the queue at the signal.

And this is what AZ DPS would not let her drive home...well....that Nissan Maxima did have a 2"x2" hole in the radiator. I just hope she smiled while she went under!!

Waiting for Auntie Flo to call me and get the dirty details.

Meanhwhile, she will be making a ~$300 involuntary donation to the Marana Justice Court within the next 5 days, as well as buying herself a car...the price of texting whilst driving. Neither of us were injured, and John Boner did not speak to either of us.

And I just mailed payment #1 on my tank YESTERDAY!!

n0iu
08-30-2014, 06:29 AM
Since you have ham plates, she was probably Googling your call sign so she could find out all sorts of information about you because as we all know, having ham plates increases your chances of having something bad happen to you! And since you have your home address listed on QRZ, you had better beef up your security system since your home will no doubt be broken into any day now.

And you might as well sell "The Tank" since all of the car thieves in your area have been given it's description and notified that you have 10's of thousands of dollars of radio equipment on board!

KG4CGC
08-30-2014, 06:32 AM
I bet she was scared shitless when she saw you get out of your truck. Did she try any tricks to try to get you to forget about the whole thing?

KK4AMI
08-30-2014, 06:49 AM
Did you have a trailer hitch on your truck at the time? I had a car with a hitch when somebody rear ended my car. Our cars got hooked together. It killed their car by punching a hole in their radiator, but just scratched my bumper.

What is the purpose in getting an Amateur Radio License plate? Its not like two Hams can talk to each other on the road. Is there a standard Mobile Hailing Frequency?

PA5COR
08-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Hope you won't vote republican.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/08/28/3476810/koch-brothers-rnc-data/
Koch bros ad Gop work together to track voters...

Good luck with the repair of the car, have the chassis checked if nothing is bend there, even smaller accidents can get the chassis bend.

KG4CGC
08-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Uh, yeah, hope you don't vote Republican and good luck with the repair.

K7SGJ
08-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Sorry to see this shit happen to you, Kev. Glad no one got hurt.

N2CHX
08-30-2014, 08:53 AM
What is the purpose in getting an Amateur Radio License plate? Its not like two Hams can talk to each other on the road. Is there a standard Mobile Hailing Frequency?

How long have you been a ham? Yes, there is actually. It's 146.52 or 146.55 on 2 meters, which is the most commonly used. There are frequencies for other bands but if you're a ham on the road, most likely if you see another ham you're gonna try 146.52. You seriously didn't know this?

XE1/N5AL
08-30-2014, 09:54 AM
I have been involved in two car accidents in recent history -- both caused by drivers trying to use their cellphones. One was a teenage girl sending text messages and the other was a middle-aged man on a cellphone call. Neither realized that traffic had stopped in front of them. Fortunately, nobody was hurt in the slightest. My car suffered only minor bumper scratches that weren't even worth fixing. However, the other two cars now have nice little square holes in their plastic front bumpers, where my steel trailer hitch thingie introduced itself.

KK4AMI
08-30-2014, 11:40 AM
How long have you been a ham? Yes, there is actually. It's 146.52 or 146.55 on 2 meters, which is the most commonly used. There are frequencies for other bands but if you're a ham on the road, most likely if you see another ham you're gonna try 146.52. You seriously didn't know this?

It has been since 2011 and no I don't involve myself with 2m at all. My mobile is set up for HF and 6m only. I hardly talk at all on Mobile, just listen.

N2NH
08-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Since you have ham plates, she was probably Googling your call sign so she could find out all sorts of information about you because as we all know, having ham plates increases your chances of having something bad happen to you! And since you have your home address listed on QRZ, you had better beef up your security system since your home will no doubt be broken into any day now.

And you might as well sell "The Tank" since all of the car thieves in your area have been given it's description and notified that you have 10's of thousands of dollars of radio equipment on board!

I heard that's how Amy Fisher got started...

Sorry to see this shit happen to you, Kev. Glad no one got hurt.

Totally agree. This is the most important thing.

W7XF
08-30-2014, 04:45 PM
thx guys and girl. No, I didn't have the hitch bar in. No way in hell I'm voting Teapublitard (the John Boner reference meant the airbags). And, no, she didn't start macking on me (although, her boyfriend, who showed up a bit after the crunch.....I wouldn't say no to him :lol:). But when she got out of her car, she was talking to her boyfriend on the phone...I had to tell her 3 times to call the constabulary, as I had not found my phone yet since the impact sent it flying off the seat. But I found it a few minutes later, so I could take pix of the damage and have it out for the imminent look at it by the officer.

N2CHX
08-31-2014, 09:19 AM
What an idiot. Glad it was minor damage though. People who yak on their phones or text while driving annoy the fuck outta me. Yesterday we passed some girl on the Thruway who was texting and doing about 58 (speed limit is 65) and she was all over the road, holding up traffic because everyone (rightfully) was afraid to pass her. People like that need to hit a wall at 65 mph.

W3WN
09-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I am still floored by the vast number of people I see trying to type on their smartphone while driving. Clearly the phone is smarter than most of them...

--------------

My windshield got dinged on Saturday. After the monthly club breakfast, a couple of us rode down to the W3PIE Gabfest. About halfway there on I-70, there's a loud "crack!" and the center of the windshield has a star-shaped pattern on it.

Called it in to insurance as soon as I got home; Erie has a deal with Safelight, they'll come out and fix a ding for free. Right.

Tech called me an hour ago. Windshield not repairable. He claims that it started cracking, no doubt from the heat, and he didn't feel it was safe.

Called my agent. They told me that, unofficially, it wasn't unusual for some of the techs to "lean" on a windshield and "encourage" cracks, which would require a replacement... and, since I wasn't there to see it, I can't prove it.

Because of my deductible, I'll have to pay for it. OK, so how much?

Safelight: $298.65. (Don't know if that includes sales tax or not)

So I called around. Local outfit, Ryan's Auto Glass: $249 plus tax.

Another local outfit, Precision Auto Glass: $165 plus tax. And they're across the street from my LRT stop.

Now I know how Safelight pays for their commercials.

W7XF
09-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Well....things got better today. Spoke to Flo....she can see that Texting Chiquita was blatantly at fault. Adjuster will follow up with me as soon as she contacts Chiquita's insurance company.

Flo's adjuster calls me back about 1.5 hrs. later...gives me Chiquita's adjusters name and claim #.

(the good part is coming)

15 minutes later.....Chiquita's adjuster calls me. Progressive's call to him was THE FIRST to them about this accident. Yes, I got hit Friday. Today is Tuesday. I'm in shock....Progressive knew about my claim before the police report was written....and you'd think a claims rep would be on duty 24/7 at ANY insurance company to take a call. So, her adjuster is using my photos, etc. to work on their side of the claim. I called Flo back, my adjuster is aghast about Chiquita's non-attention to the matter, as well as not returning phone calls to either Progressive or The Buck Private (General).

Maybe Chiquita doesn't want her insurer (The General) to know that she got a triple-header ticket (distracted driving, failure to control speed, tailgating). And, I don't think this was her first rodeo by the looks of her car. (I'm fully expecting to be subpoenaed into court to testify because she is gonna try to fight the tickets.)

This looks like it's gonna be good.

XE1/N5AL
09-03-2014, 01:40 AM
I'm glad that things will work out in your favor.

This all proves that texting, driving and toting a basket of tropical fruit just don't mix. :)

KG4CGC
09-03-2014, 09:15 AM
I am still floored by the vast number of people I see trying to type on their smartphone while driving. Clearly the phone is smarter than most of them...

--------------

My windshield got dinged on Saturday. After the monthly club breakfast, a couple of us rode down to the W3PIE Gabfest. About halfway there on I-70, there's a loud "crack!" and the center of the windshield has a star-shaped pattern on it.

Called it in to insurance as soon as I got home; Erie has a deal with Safelight, they'll come out and fix a ding for free. Right.

Tech called me an hour ago. Windshield not repairable. He claims that it started cracking, no doubt from the heat, and he didn't feel it was safe.

Called my agent. They told me that, unofficially, it wasn't unusual for some of the techs to "lean" on a windshield and "encourage" cracks, which would require a replacement... and, since I wasn't there to see it, I can't prove it.

Because of my deductible, I'll have to pay for it. OK, so how much?

Safelight: $298.65. (Don't know if that includes sales tax or not)

So I called around. Local outfit, Ryan's Auto Glass: $249 plus tax.

Another local outfit, Precision Auto Glass: $165 plus tax. And they're across the street from my LRT stop.

Now I know how Safelight pays for their commercials.

Ron, I'm stealing this.

W3WN
09-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Ron, I'm stealing this.No you're not.

You have my permission to use it, AND to quote me on it. Therefore, it's not stealing.

I should add, that when I got home yesterday, it was very obvious from the discontinuity in the suddenly much longer (about 18 inches!) crack, that this happened well after the original damage. Now, I can't PROVE that it was done by someone, of course... oh, and in the fine print (as I saw in the many emails from Safelight reminding me about the appointment), there is a disclaimer that IF their tech "accidentally" causes further damage in the attempt to repair the windshield, basically, tough noogies.

Should have the Chevy back tonight. Then I have to stop at the garage and see how much it will cost to get replacement inspection/emissions stickers put on the new windshield (they will "cut out" that part of the old windshield & place it on the dash, but that's one more thing to worry about)

W3WN
09-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Well....things got better today. Spoke to Flo....she can see that Texting Chiquita was blatantly at fault. Adjuster will follow up with me as soon as she contacts Chiquita's insurance company.

Flo's adjuster calls me back about 1.5 hrs. later...gives me Chiquita's adjusters name and claim #.

(the good part is coming)

15 minutes later.....Chiquita's adjuster calls me. Progressive's call to him was THE FIRST to them about this accident. Yes, I got hit Friday. Today is Tuesday. I'm in shock....Progressive knew about my claim before the police report was written....and you'd think a claims rep would be on duty 24/7 at ANY insurance company to take a call. So, her adjuster is using my photos, etc. to work on their side of the claim. I called Flo back, my adjuster is aghast about Chiquita's non-attention to the matter, as well as not returning phone calls to either Progressive or The Buck Private (General).

Maybe Chiquita doesn't want her insurer (The General) to know that she got a triple-header ticket (distracted driving, failure to control speed, tailgating). And, I don't think this was her first rodeo by the looks of her car. (I'm fully expecting to be subpoenaed into court to testify because she is gonna try to fight the tickets.)

This looks like it's gonna be good.Sounds like Chiquita has been a naughty girl.

w6tmi
09-03-2014, 10:44 AM
It has been since 2011 and no I don't involve myself with 2m at all. My mobile is set up for HF and 6m only. I hardly talk at all on Mobile, just listen.

Horn CW?

K7SGJ
09-03-2014, 01:07 PM
No you're not.

You have my permission to use it, AND to quote me on it. Therefore, it's not stealing.

I should add, that when I got home yesterday, it was very obvious from the discontinuity in the suddenly much longer (about 18 inches!) crack, that this happened well after the original damage. Now, I can't PROVE that it was done by someone, of course... oh, and in the fine print (as I saw in the many emails from Safelight reminding me about the appointment), there is a disclaimer that IF their tech "accidentally" causes further damage in the attempt to repair the windshield, basically, tough noogies.

Should have the Chevy back tonight. Then I have to stop at the garage and see how much it will cost to get replacement inspection/emissions stickers put on the new windshield (they will "cut out" that part of the old windshield & place it on the dash, but that's one more thing to worry about)

For what it's worth, if you can, keep a window open a wee bit, so when you close the door the air from the pressure of closing the door has some way to escape. I had a big van in the 70's, and I failed to do that after a windshield replacement. I hit a nasty rain storm in Northern AZ., and it leaked like a SOB. By the time I could get to shelter, there was water all over everywhere. Under the dash, on the floor, in the heater box, and everywhere else water could possibly go. I had the windshield removed, re-sealed, and put back in. I kept the windows cracked for a few days and had no more problems. Common sense should have been enough for me to realize that in that size vehicle, and that big of a windshield, there would be a lot of rapid changes of air pressure opening and closing the doors all day, causing problems. But back then, we didn't need no stinkin common sense.

W3WN
09-03-2014, 09:19 PM
For what it's worth, if you can, keep a window open a wee bit, so when you close the door the air from the pressure of closing the door has some way to escape. I had a big van in the 70's, and I failed to do that after a windshield replacement. I hit a nasty rain storm in Northern AZ., and it leaked like a SOB. By the time I could get to shelter, there was water all over everywhere. Under the dash, on the floor, in the heater box, and everywhere else water could possibly go. I had the windshield removed, re-sealed, and put back in. I kept the windows cracked for a few days and had no more problems. Common sense should have been enough for me to realize that in that size vehicle, and that big of a windshield, there would be a lot of rapid changes of air pressure opening and closing the doors all day, causing problems. But back then, we didn't need no stinkin common sense.When I paid the bill, the bill itself included the "lifetime" warranty on the seal (for as long as I own the Trailblazer). However, for the warranty to be in effect, it explicitly states that we have to leave some windows cracked open for 24 hours, until the seal sets.

No sweat.

And thanks for the reminder.

K7SGJ
09-03-2014, 09:24 PM
When I paid the bill, the bill itself included the "lifetime" warranty on the seal (for as long as I own the Trailblazer). However, for the warranty to be in effect, it explicitly states that we have to leave some windows cracked open for 24 hours, until the seal sets.

No sweat.

And thanks for the reminder.

Sure. I would think the sealants these days are quicker setting and far superior to those of the 70's, but it never hurts to be cautious.

suddenseer
09-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Well, I'm a bear, and I understand proper methods of poking bears. :shhh:

W7XF
09-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Well, I'm a bear, and I understand proper methods of poking bears. :shhh:

Please demonstrate..(in my bedroom)

W7XF
09-13-2014, 03:55 PM
No wonder she never called her insurance agent...SHE DIDN'T HAVE INSURANCE!!! She was one of those pay one month's, get the proof of insurance, tag her car, and let it lapse types. So...I'll take The Tank to the dealer on Monday, have them do an estimate and make sure there isn't any damage I missed, then go from there.

And wait for the subpoena to testify in court against her (no-insurance tickets are a mandatory appearance here, and the fine starts at $~1800)
Not to mention that she's doubly at fault, as being in an accident with no insurance in AZ automatically puts you at fault (if ya don't have insurance, you shouldn't have been there).

W3WN
09-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Most of the time, the dealer tends to charge top dollar. Don't know about your insurance, mine usually requires three estimates. Or they recommend a body shop (this is what happened with the Boss's Mazda a couple of years ago), and if you go there, don't worry about the estimate?

The question is, will your insurance cover it & then go after her (they should), and if so, will you still pay the deductible? Follow-up question, will they settle for the dealer, or require additional estimates?

W7XF
09-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Ron.. that will be the case.. If I do have my uninsured motorist coverage take it, I will have to pay my deductible. However, I priced the parts on rockauto.com, with shipping, the parts the dealer would be replacing will be $~750...figure about $500 for labour, and the markup on the parts....I'd say I probably have a case for $2000 easily....and the judge would award me triple punitive since she didn't have insurance.....hmmmm...lucrative???? Might be worth a $50 gamble for a almost guaranteed $~2000-6000 award.

NQ6U
09-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Might be worth a $50 gamble for a almost guaranteed $~2000-6000 award.

Assuming you can actually collect.

W7XF
09-15-2014, 05:02 AM
Idea is, if I win, her licence is suspended till she ponies up, not just for 365 days.
And, she won't be able to ditch it via bankruptcy, since it is a damage award.

W3WN
09-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Ron.. that will be the case.. If I do have my uninsured motorist coverage take it, I will have to pay my deductible. However, I priced the parts on rockauto.com, with shipping, the parts the dealer would be replacing will be $~750...figure about $500 for labour, and the markup on the parts....I'd say I probably have a case for $2000 easily....and the judge would award me triple punitive since she didn't have insurance.....hmmmm...lucrative???? Might be worth a $50 gamble for a almost guaranteed $~2000-6000 award.Yes, it is worth the gamble.

Not just the $50 to file the charges, but there may also be additional fees to help collect... for example, around here, if you get a sheriff's deputy to serve the papers, there's a fee involved -- which can be bundled into the ultimate settlement, so you get it back, you just have to pay the shekels upfront.

She is going to have a very expensive lesson, one way or another. One can hope that she'll live long enough to learn from it -- and that she'll live long enough for you to collect.

And I'll give you better than even odds that even if her license is indefinitely suspended, she continues to drive. The entitlement mentality at work.

kd6nig
09-18-2014, 03:01 PM
People complain about California all the time, but one of the smartest things they did is require all insurance report electronically to DMV.

You don't have insurance, they suspend the plates on the vehicle.

Not that people still drive anyway, but at least if the plate gets ran, there is a chance they might get removed from the street before they hit someone.

W7XF
09-19-2014, 03:46 AM
Now I'm just waiting.... I'll pull an MVR on her in a couple of weeks, to make sure she was convicted of her traffic offences, and the driving without insurance charge, then send her a certified letter as to how much the damages are. No response = Small Claims ($5000 limit in AZ). That's when I'll add the triple damages for driving w/o insurance.

BTW....the insurance companies are supposed to report daily here in AZ...just might have not been entered yet.