PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Microwave from Walmart...

W5BRM
08-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Just bought an Emerson microwave for $89 from our local Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Emerson-1.2-cu-ft-Microwave-with-Grill-Black/22257613

Got it home, took it out of the box. Big dent in it, major scratches on the face and top of the unit and FOOD!! still inside!! YAAAAAUUCKK!!!!!! Looked like someone cooked some sort of stuff with tomato sauce in it. Smelled nasty! Unfortunately the wife took it back before I could get pics but DAMN it was nasty. Funny thing is though, it looked like it was the original tape on the box. No store repacking and retaping. The box was in good condition and had all the seals in place.

I'm wondering if I got some sort of unit that was supposed to be refurbished and slipped through the system without getting refurbed or what. The wife is returning it to the store and getting a new one. I should have gone with her but I'm still recuperating. I told her to open the replacement before leaving the store OR buy a different model. g

Just really NOT happy. Never had anything this seriously messed up bought like this before

n2ize
08-29-2014, 06:41 PM
What more could you ask for, A microwave oven that comes with free food.

W5BRM
08-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Well Wife brought it back. Turns out it was the wrong model microwave in the box. Seems that someone bought the microwave, put a defective used unit back in the box and returned it. The idiots at Walmart didn't even check it apparently and just put it back on the shelf. Whoever did that really knows how to repackage stuff because the tape absolutely looked original. Pretty shitty maneuver imho.

W3WN
08-29-2014, 07:56 PM
That kind of stuff happens all the time.

But first, foo on the Walmart minimum wage weenies for not checking the return & simply restocking it. They ought to know better. Maybe they don't care.

Anyway, we had people trying to pull that stunt on us a De$pot all the time. All too often, the brain dead bimbos working the return desk never checked anything; as a result, we had a rule in our store, while I was in Hardware at least, that NO tools were to be returned without one of us checking the box first.

One time, some schmuck tried to "return" a grinder and pulled that same switcheroo -- put the old, burned up unit in the new box. When the box was opened, he took off. Problem was, the return bimbo had already credited his HD company credit card. Or was it?

Turns out, we had 30 minutes to cancel the credit transaction. We did. Then, the store manager called the owner of the CC, left a VM -- told him that there'd been a (unmentioned) problem with the transaction, could he come in so that we could give him proper credit? As you might suspect, we never saw or heard from him. No freebie.

Anyway. some contractors would buy the cheaper, consumer version of certain commercial tools (for example, Black & Decker brand is the consumer version, the heftier & more robust Dewalt brand is the contractor version -- both brands, amongst others, owned by B&D the corp), burn them up or damage them, and then return them for credit for "failing". Yeah, of course they failed, they weren't designed for contractor use -- and technically, the warranty was void, but too many store managers gave it anyway.

BTW, do you know why HD no longer accepts "no questions asked" returns for custom paint colors? Someone would buy a gallon, use a quart, and return it. Or buy a gallon, fill the can with used motor oil or chicken soup or something like that, and return it. Or, they'd try returning it, and then re-buy it later that day or the same day, cheap, off the "oops! wrong color" return rack... surprise on them, anytime custom paint was returned, before it was sold off cheap, additional color was added to the gallon, specifically so that the cheapskate could NOT pull that stunt.

Most people are honest... at least 95%, and would never even think of doing this. It's that remaining dishonest ~5% who make life miserable for everyone else.

XE1/N5AL
08-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Last year, I bought a laptop for my niece, at an Office Depot, here in Guadalajara. When we got home, we realized that it was a customer return. Some of the packaging material was missing, the battery was already installed and when the computer booted-up, a password screen appeared. Fortunately, they exchanged it for a new computer without any problem. But how could they put something back on the shelf without even trying it out?

---

Years ago, when I lived in San Jose, California, the Fry's Electronics nearest my house had a very liberal return policy. If you weren't happy with your purchase, it was no problem getting your money back. The store would knock a few dollars off of the price and put the returned product back on the shelf. There was a small risk in buying a discounted return item, because they were sometimes missing a cable, a small adapter or something that one needed to make the product work.

Anyway, one day I went to buy an electric razor, at Fry's. I was alarmed to find that the majority of the electric razors they had on their shelves (at the time) were labeled as customer returns! With all the blood borne illnesses out there, that seems like a health risk. I have bought lots of great stuff from Fry's ...just not customer-returned razors!

n2ize
08-29-2014, 10:13 PM
That kind of stuff happens all the time.

But first, foo on the Walmart minimum wage weenies for not checking the return & simply restocking it. They ought to know better. Maybe they don't care.

Why should they care. They can just get another min wage job. I remember an idiot telling me that transit workers should get min wage. I said, do you really think so. So a guy at min wage breaks all the safety rules and puts his passengers at risk. They fire him and he applies for a job at wallmart and gets the same wage

wa6mhz
08-30-2014, 10:26 AM
FRYS is the worst for returns. When an item is bad and returned, Frys just puts it back on the shelf for someone else to buy. maybe they knock a couple bucks off the new price. I bought a laser printer recently and it was missing the driver CD. So when I took it back they went over and puled another unit off the shelf, and yanked the CD from it. That printer went back on the for sale shelf for the next unknowing victim to purchase!

FRYS figures some will finally buy it and figure it is just too much trouble to take it back and eat the cost.