PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Tickets

W3WN
08-28-2014, 09:18 PM
So, the day before we go on vacation, we get a postcard from the Pirates, informing us that we can find out what our status is on season tickets after a certain date.

We checked out the link provided for our personal information, and are informed that since, even though we are season ticket holders, we're only on a 1/4 ticket plan, we have to call our rep -- but if we "upgrade" to a 1/2 season plan next year, we are guaranteed tickets. Only way to guarantee playoff tickets.

The boss finally hooked up with our rep today.

If we stay on the current plan, we are guaranteed TWO tickets for the Wild Card round. Only two. Not three. Even though we have three seats on the plan.

Nothing the Pirates can do, we are told. This is set by Major League Baseball.

In other words, squeeze 'us for all we got...

I guess, IF the Pirates make the playoffs (which I think they will, but there's no guarantees yet), the Boss & Little Miss Field Day will be at the stadium. I'll be watching the boobus toobus here at home.

And working DX. Hmmm. So I guess it's not all bad...

N2NH
09-01-2014, 03:54 PM
At least they have a chance of making the playoffs. All they have to do is sweep the Redbirds and get a game up on them. Pity the Rockies...

W3WN
09-01-2014, 04:26 PM
At least they have a chance of making the playoffs. All they have to do is sweep the Redbirds and get a game up on them. Pity the Rockies...I've felt sorry for the Rockies fans ever since the team fired Clint Hurdle and replaced him with John "Mr. Emotion" Russell.

N2NH
09-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I've felt sorry for the Rockies fans ever since the team fired Clint Hurdle and replaced him with John "Mr. Emotion" Russell.

I hope that if the Yankees replace Girardi, they get Willie Randolph. He did an impressive job while he managed the Mets and that was with a team that was dead from the neck up and management that was having money troubles (Bernie Madoff). If Girardi goes, he or Mattingly would be good, but I doubt if Mattingly would leave the Dodgers and I don't blame him.

Right now, the Yanks are my #2 team. I told NHE on Jan. 1st that the Yanks didn't have the horses to go all the way and that there was too much dead wood on the team. I switched to the Dodgers then. :yes:

W3WN
09-17-2014, 03:40 PM
And today's number is:

Three.

NQ6U
09-17-2014, 03:48 PM
And today's number is:

Three.

Today's majick number for the Padres is:

E

Oh, well, there's always next year.

W3WN
09-17-2014, 08:12 PM
I didn't say it was the "magic" number. Just the key to a milestone.
--------
We decided to pass on buying the "strip" of tickets. We weren't going to get our seats anyway, and it was just way too much cash to outlay... especially for only 2 seats.

However, we had another round, which started at 10 AM (EDT) yesterday through midnight tonight. We could purchase up to 4 tickets per game, on a game by game basis, for any potential Wild Card or NLDS game.

So, we got three tickets for the Wild Card, three for NLDS Game 1, three for NLDS Game 2. Any games not played or not played here, we get an immediate refund. Should we get to the NLCS or even the WS round, they'll do the same thing. I'm fully expecting that, well, baring a collapse by either the Giants and/or the Cardinals, the Pirates will be the #2 Wild Card this year, so they'll play the WC on the road -- so we'll get those shekels back. But, just in case...

W3WN
09-17-2014, 09:21 PM
The number for Thursday 18 Sept 2014:

K7SGJ
09-17-2014, 09:29 PM
The number for Thursday 18 Sept 2014:

Just remember 1 is the loneliest number.

W3WN
09-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Just remember 1 is the loneliest number.I've heard that.

IIRC, the magic number for the Pirates is 10. However, the magic number for the Cardinals is 9. Going to be a VERY interesting week coming up...

on edit: and my count was off, it should have been 1, not 2, this morning.

W3WN
09-18-2014, 09:01 PM
ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W3WN
09-18-2014, 09:20 PM
With the sweep of the Red Sox, the Pirates now have 82 wins on the season.

I don't know why I was thinking 82 wins guaranteed no worse than a .500 season. THAT was taken care of last night, with win 81.

TONIGHT guarantees a winning season. And more (I hope) to come.

NQ6U
09-18-2014, 09:45 PM
On the plus side regarding the Padres season, there are four MLB teams with worse W-L records than they have, and two of those teams are in their division. When you're a Padres fan, you have to take solace in little things.

W3WN
09-18-2014, 10:22 PM
On the plus side regarding the Padres season, there are four MLB teams with worse W-L records than they have, and two of those teams are in their division. When you're a Padres fan, you have to take solace in little things.Not that I'm unsympathetic, but...

Remember that for 20 years, not only did I watch losing season after losing season... and after the 2nd place finish (even with a losing record) in 1997, the failure of 1998 REALLY stung... but I lived with a Pirate Fanatic, and have raised a daughter who is as fanatical as her mom (believe me, there is a BIG difference between Fan and Fanatic) who took it all very personally.

I know it hurts, but trust me... you don't know what real pain is, sports wise. With any luck, you never will.

K7SGJ
09-18-2014, 11:13 PM
On the plus side regarding the Padres season, there are four MLB teams with worse W-L records than they have, and two of those teams are in their division. When you're a Padres fan, you have to take solace in little things.

The real sad part is, the 4 MLB teams with worse W/L records, all consist of Octogenarians.

kd6nig
09-19-2014, 02:17 PM
You could be an A's fan watching them sink like a stone at the end.

Then again, the alternative might be to watch them do the same in the first round of the playoffs.

The plunge came early this year, it appears.

WØTKX
09-19-2014, 03:02 PM
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/colorado.rockies.suck.memes.20.jpg

W3WN
09-19-2014, 04:57 PM
You could be an A's fan watching them sink like a stone at the end.

Then again, the alternative might be to watch them do the same in the first round of the playoffs.

The plunge came early this year, it appears.Ah, we saw that 2 seasons ago. And 3 seasons ago.

Been there, done that, no thanks.

W3WN
09-20-2014, 10:15 AM
OK, time for a reset.

Today's magic number is 5. 5 and 9, to be precise, are the numbers.

5 to clinch the playoffs.
9 to win the division (unfortunately, the Cardinals magic number to do that is 8, but one thing at a time)

W3WN
09-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Make that Magic Number (for the playoffs) 3.

W3WN
09-22-2014, 09:11 PM

Dagnabit Cubbies aren't doing their part, they're laying down in front of the blanket-blank-blank-redacted-censored Cardinals.

W3WN
09-23-2014, 09:00 PM
The bad news is... I'm not getting a refund from MLB for those playoff tickets we just got...

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

K7SGJ
09-23-2014, 09:14 PM
The bad news is... I'm not getting a refund from MLB for those playoff tickets we just got...

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I'll give you two bucks for them. All of them. that is.

Third base.

W3WN
09-23-2014, 09:27 PM
I'll give you two bucks for them. All of them. that is.

Third base.You wish.

Now, if the damn Cubs would just quit choking for a couple more games...

K7SGJ
09-23-2014, 09:31 PM
You wish.

Now, if the damn Cubs would just quit choking for a couple more games...

Just trying to ease your financial burden. After all, what are Island buddies for?

W3WN
09-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Just trying to ease your financial burden. After all, what are Island buddies for?If you were a real buddy, you'd have gotten the tickets for me.

Just like another Islander did last year.

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13104&stc=1

Time for Little Miss Field Day to break this shirt out again...
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13105&stc=1

N2NH
10-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Well it was fun while it lasted. I was rooting for the Pirates. I think it'll be Dodgers vs. Orioles, but I hope it's the Royals.

NQ6U
10-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Bumgarner was dealing (he only allowed four hits and struck out ten); I don't think any team could have beat the Giants last night.