PDA

View Full Version : Mixed use on HSMM

KC2UGV
08-26-2014, 09:46 AM
So, by and large, HSMM uses standard networking tools (OSLR, etc etc). The only thing that would make it Part 97 is EIRP limits being exceeded.

So, my question is this: If end users connect via Part 15 signals (Or wired, for that matter), and my license is used for the Part 97 links (Where high power is employed, no encryption, etc etc), does this count as "Third party traffic", or just blatant violation of the rules?

K0RGR
08-26-2014, 01:53 PM
So, by and large, HSMM uses standard networking tools (OSLR, etc etc). The only thing that would make it Part 97 is EIRP limits being exceeded.

So, my question is this: If end users connect via Part 15 signals (Or wired, for that matter), and my license is used for the Part 97 links (Where high power is employed, no encryption, etc etc), does this count as "Third party traffic", or just blatant violation of the rules?

One thing to consider is content. If the Part 15 user is surfing the web, browsing commercial web pages, that's legal, but not if the traffic is over a Part 97 connection.

KC2UGV
08-26-2014, 04:05 PM
One thing to consider is content. If the Part 15 user is surfing the web, browsing commercial web pages, that's legal, but not if the traffic is over a Part 97 connection.

So, how do mariners do it on the ham bands?

W3WN
08-26-2014, 06:43 PM
So, how do mariners do it on the ham bands?Illegally.

KC2UGV
08-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Illegally.

Ah, ok... I figured as long as it wasn't for a commercial purpose (ie, checking email), and done in the clear, I'm good to go. Oh well, Part 15 ISM links it is :)