PDA

View Full Version : NY TIMES: In Push to Shorten Games, There’s No Time to Waste

N2NH
08-23-2014, 01:12 PM
A suggestion to make the foul ball after strike two into strike three and to have pitching changes take 3 outs rather than numerous pitching changes in a single inning.

Sounds like heresy to me.

Wanna shorten the game? Play until 30 minutes has passed. When the clock hits a half-hour, declare it to the leading team. Ties will be allowed.

Really? Why mess with the game just because it can last as long as it needs to? Part of the charm of Baseball is it is one of a few sports that doesn't use a clock.

What say you?

LINK: NY TIMES: Imagine a foul ball as Strike Three. (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/sports/imagine-a-foul-ball-as-strike-3.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0)

NQ6U
08-23-2014, 01:54 PM
I agree with you completely.

K7SGJ
08-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Count me in. Baseball is by far my most favorite sport, second only to Australian dick wrestling and roller fucking.

NQ6U
08-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Count me in. Baseball is by far my most favorite sport, second only to Australian dick wrestling and roller fucking.

Roller fucking? That sounds intriguing. Please sign me up for your newsletter.

If they're serious about speeding up the game, they could always limit the number of times a player is allowed to step out of the batter's box during his at-bat. I mean, do they really need to adjust the strap on their glove after every pitch?

W3WN
08-23-2014, 03:46 PM
You want to shorten games?

Umpires don't have to grant unlimited time outs
Limit time outs and mound conferences 1 minute.
Don't permit the batter to leave the batters box after every pitch.
Enforce the 30 second rule. Pitcher should have 30 seconds after getting the ball back to set and throw the next pitch.
Cut down the number of warm up pitches thrown after the team takes the field between half innings.

XE1/N5AL
08-23-2014, 10:56 PM
You want to shorten games?Enforce the 30 second rule. Pitcher should have 30 seconds after getting the ball back to set and throw the next pitch.

Are you referring to the currently unenforced 12 second rule, which applies only when there are no runners on base?

NQ6U
08-24-2014, 03:41 AM
Are you referring to the currently unenforced 12 second rule, which applies only when there are no runners on base?

Maybe he means the five second rule, which applies when you drop your hot dog in the stands.

W3WN
08-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Trying to type while mobile (don't worry, it was the boss's turn to drive) is a major pain. That sentence somehow got clipped.

Yes, that rule, although I thought it was also 30 secs with runners on. You get the idea tho -- quit wasting time, pitch the damn ball.

All of those suggestions are simple, easy, obvious, and will never happen, for those very reasons.

XE1/N5AL
08-24-2014, 02:06 PM
^^^Thanks, I understood your suggestions and they make sense.

XE1/N5AL
08-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Maybe he means the five second rule, which applies when you drop your hot dog in the stands.
I hate it when that happens.

W3WN
08-24-2014, 05:04 PM
I hate it when that happens.Don't do it on Pup Night. That dog will never hit the ground... or in this case, the concrete.

(Don't laugh, they now do that at PNC at least two Tuesday home games per month, it is VERY popular. No, we are not taking LucyFurr to a game... maybe next year, if we can get tickets...)