PDA

View Full Version : length of a power line...

K9CCH
08-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Let's say that I were to put at least a 2m/70cm rig in the trailer. The marine battery is way up at the front of the trailer, and my mounting position inside is right in the middle.

Would 10 to 20 feet of power wires be ok, or would I lose (what would it be) volts? by the time it got to the radio?

KJ3N
08-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Ten feet isn't a problem. Twenty feet starts to be a problem.

I would suggest a pair of #8 or #6 wires to a DC distribution panel, located near the operating position. This would allow for future expansion to an HF rig at some point.

Something on the order of this:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009865

N2CHX
08-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Just use heavy gauge wire and you'll be fine. I would try to ground to the body/frame somewhere close to the radio in addition to the power cables though, for a better RF ground.

For a 100 watt rig at that length, I'd go with 8 gauge minimum.

N2CHX
08-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Ten feet isn't a problem. Twenty feet starts to be a problem.

I would suggest a pair of #8 or #6 wires to a DC distribution panel, located near the operating position. This would allow for future expansion to an HF rig at some point.

Something on the order of this:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009865

Agreed. If it's 20 feet I'd definitely go with the heaviest wire manageable.

KK4AMI
08-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Since you probably have room, would another battery be an idea, especialy if you don't want to drain the house battery?

K9CCH
08-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Well there is a 3 stage converter in the trailer under the stove. It puts out 13.6 volts I think. My friend checked each of the mini fuses on the DC side with his fluke meter.

I just dont know if there's any space to steal power from.

As for another battery, I'm not sure how I'd add that.

NQ6U
08-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Bungie cords, to the roof.

koØm
08-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Well there is a 3 stage converter in the trailer under the stove. It puts out 13.6 volts I think. My friend checked each of the mini fuses on the DC side with his fluke meter.

I just dont know if there's any space to steal power from.

(Chris, I love your candor and the naiveté of a still "new" ham)

A know-it-all (from the CB days) such as myself would say, "just get another battery and connect them in parallel; connect hot side to hot side and, ground to ground on both batteries". However, it is possible for one battery to "ask" for more charging voltage and, damage the other battery which is already at charge.

If, you do run a line from the battery to the interior of the vehicle, make sure that it is fused on the outside (very close to the battery) of the passenger compartment and another fuse inside for the sake of safety.

Look out ya'll next thing ya know, he'll be over at Da-'Zed inquiring, "How to make a dye-pole?"

I know that everyone isn't as electrically astute as me, just poking him a little

K9CCH
08-17-2014, 07:19 PM
If the 3 stage converter takes a portion of the 110 and converts it to DC, and sends 13.6 volts to the battery as a trickle charge... Couldn't I just tap into those somehow?

I suppose the easiest thing would be to put an RS-20a on the kitchen counter, and plug it into the 110 outlets huh? LOL

The combination of the AC system, and the DC system in the one vehicle confuses the hell out of me......

K9CCH
08-17-2014, 07:22 PM
I know that everyone isn't as electrically astute as me, just poking him a little

Done poke too hard. I'm one of those girly boys who might like it.... :spin:

K7SGJ
08-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Bungie cords, to the roof.

Oh hell yes. And, since bungee cords are so cheap, I'd strap down a bunch of solar cells, too.

W7XF
08-17-2014, 08:24 PM
If the 3 stage converter takes a portion of the 110 and converts it to DC, and sends 13.6 volts to the battery as a trickle charge... Couldn't I just tap into those somehow?

No. Non. Nein. NYET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris, that power supply that is installed in the trailer is the FILTHIEST kind made. It's simply a 120V -> 12 V transformer and a diode rectifier. No filtration whatsoever. You NEED to go direct to the battery, and you still may have to install filter capacitors in the line to the radio to filter the noise from the power converter.
They are THAT noisy. Or, alternately, use a quality power supply plugged into the 110V outlet.

n2ize
08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
No. Non. Nein. NYET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris, that power supply that is installed in the trailer is the FILTHIEST kind made. It's simply a 120V -> 12 V transformer and a diode rectifier. No filtration whatsoever. You NEED to go direct to the battery, and you still may have to install filter capacitors in the line to the radio to filter the noise from the power converter.
They are THAT noisy. Or, alternately, use a quality power supply plugged into the 110V outlet.

That would be my approach.

NQ6U
08-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Oh hell yes. And, since bungee cords are so cheap, I'd strap down a bunch of solar cells, too.

Duct tape works better for solar cells.

W7XF
08-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Duct tape Bushtits work better for solar cells.

Fixed.