PDA

View Full Version : I'm now radio active.... sort of...

W5BRM
08-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Got my 40m Hamsticks in the mail today as well as my 259c analyzer. Got the dipole up as a vertical with the feedpoint at about 15ft. It needs tuning but its too darned hot today to play with it. the analyzer reads the antenna as lowest swr 1.3 at 6.8mhz with ohms at 40 and reactance at 8. I need to shorten it and make it ABSOLUTE vertical. It's a bit off and I think that messes with the R and X factors. I got the coax running off at 90 degrees perpendicular to the dipole but it's not perfectly parallel to the earth so thats messing it up some as well. I have read that if I keep the feedline horizontal to the antenna's vertical that I shouldn't need a balun. Might make a RF choke if I get RF into the radio or cause rfi to the wifi or tv.

I have about s6 to s7 atmospheric noise along with what sounds like low level AC or powerline noise in the background. It's daytime so it might be a lot of air conditioners running and pulling a draw on the AC feedlines that run in back of the house. Vertical installs are always noisier anyway as well so I don't think there will be much I can do about it. Is s6 atmospheric noise floor a usual thing on 40m during the daytime?

Also heard from MFJ today and they are sending me a new magloop. When it gets here, I plan on attempting to hang it where I have the dipole at now and see if that will work.

All in all, I'm happy with whats been done today. Kinda miffed that 3/4 of my vacation is done waiting for parts though... grrr...lol BUT i got something up.

It's a good day!

WØTKX
08-13-2014, 06:56 PM
As long as you can get it up, eh? ;)

W5BRM
08-13-2014, 07:42 PM
1st time in 10 years...lol

W5BRM
08-13-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm kinda wondering about running digital. When I put the radio into digital mode, the waterfall on both FLDIGI and WSJT-x gets very narrow. Thats D-USB. The receive changes like it's switched to rtty or cw and the audio on the waterfall is only a few hz wide. If i put it in USB, i get a full 2khz +- of signals. I don't think it should be like that though. my google-fu is weak and cant find anyone who seems to have my same problem... Am I supposed to have the radio in Digital USB to run digital modes?

NA4BH
08-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Martin Jue (MFJ) is a genuine nice guy. I stopped by his place a few years back and he took me on a tour of all his boat anchors.

NQ6U
08-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Am I supposed to have the radio in Digital USB to run digital modes?

I wouldn't, at least not for for PSK-31 which is the only digital mode I use regularly. You want the FLDIGI waterfall to display the full SSB 2kHz bandwidth so you can see all the available signals.

KC2UGV
08-13-2014, 10:43 PM
I'm kinda wondering about running digital. When I put the radio into digital mode, the waterfall on both FLDIGI and WSJT-x gets very narrow. Thats D-USB. The receive changes like it's switched to rtty or cw and the audio on the waterfall is only a few hz wide. If i put it in USB, i get a full 2khz +- of signals. I don't think it should be like that though. my google-fu is weak and cant find anyone who seems to have my same problem... Am I supposed to have the radio in Digital USB to run digital modes?

Which radio did you get again?

W5BRM
08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Which radio did you get again?

Icom IC-7200

W5BRM
08-13-2014, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't, at least not for for PSK-31 which is the only digital mode I use regularly. You want the FLDIGI waterfall to display the full SSB 2kHz bandwidth so you can see all the available signals.

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking. Same with JT-65/9. It doesn't make sense to chop the rcv to a couple dozen hz. But the instructional vid by IcomAmerica says to do exactly that.

Im wondering if there is any setting on the radio to expand that digital rcv bandwidth. Been researching all night but cant find any info on it. Not sure if operator error or what. Theres a lot i dont understand about this radio!

I am wondering as well, can the radio xmit these digi formats in standard usb or does it HAVE to be in digi usb?

K7SGJ
08-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Like the Popeman sez just do regular usb for psk31@ 30 watts or so. You'll work the world.

However you end up on the air remember just one thing

HAVE FUN, AND LOTS OF IT

That is all.

XE1/N5AL
08-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Icom IC-7200
Nice radio. I used one during Field Day a couple of years back.

n0iu
08-14-2014, 05:42 AM
Am I supposed to have the radio in Digital USB to run digital modes?

I have an IC-7410 and this wasn't the easiest thing to figure out.

The answer is, "It depends." The three factory default filter settings are much narrower in the "D" mode than in the "normal" USB/LSB mode so this is why things sound "weird" in this mode. But you can change the filter settings to anything you want. This is in your manual in the section about IF Filter selection.

The other reason to have a separate "D" setting is that it comes in really handy if you are using the USB connection to the radio instead of an outboard sound card. Through the menus, you can set the input to the radio in data mode and data off (normal) mode. You can set this to MIC, ACC, MIC,ACC or USB. IOW, when you are using phone, the input would be MIC but when you are in "D" mode, the input would be USB.

Clear as mud, eh?

W5BRM
08-14-2014, 07:18 AM
I have an IC-7410 and this wasn't the easiest thing to figure out.

The answer is, "It depends." The three factory default filter settings are much narrower in the "D" mode than in the "normal" USB/LSB mode so this is why things sound "weird" in this mode. But you can change the filter settings to anything you want. This is in your manual in the section about IF Filter selection.

The other reason to have a separate "D" setting is that it comes in really handy if you are using the USB connection to the radio instead of an outboard sound card. Through the menus, you can set the input to the radio in data mode and data off (normal) mode. You can set this to MIC, ACC, MIC,ACC or USB. IOW, when you are using phone, the input would be MIC but when you are in "D" mode, the input would be USB.

Clear as mud, eh?

AHA! Got it! Thanks so much! I reset the filter to 2 khz. Now it looks and sounds normal...lol Got 2khz on the waterfall. Gotta fine tune the antenna just a smidge more. Can't seem to get the SWR down to 1.0. best I can get is 1.3. Gonna tune that for the 7.076. It looks like I have about 25khz bandwidth on this dipole.

Still got a lot more to learn but I got the basics down now.

K7SGJ
08-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Ah.....all these new fangled rigs. Makes my tuna tin transmitter look a little fishy.

W5BRM
08-14-2014, 05:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RrK3pFK.jpg Got JT65 working. My 1st contact!

NQ6U
08-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Got JT65 working. My 1st contact!

Just don't try to call the Delaware Troglodyte (KJ3N) when he sends CQ DX on JT65.

W5BRM
08-14-2014, 08:41 PM
lol I saw N2ADV on last night. Didn't have the antenna matched though so I couldnt get him.

I got one final issue that might not even be an issue. Was watching my ALC meter and its at 7. Is that an indicator i'm overdriving my audio? no matter what I do, I cant get it to go down. I don't have any way to watch my transmit audio so I'm not sure if I'm overdriving it or not. Anyone have any advise on that? Dont wanna be a JT65 LID! lol

n2ize
08-14-2014, 09:38 PM
AHA! Got it! Thanks so much! I reset the filter to 2 khz. Now it looks and sounds normal...lol Got 2khz on the waterfall. Gotta fine tune the antenna just a smidge more. Can't seem to get the SWR down to 1.0. best I can get is 1.3. Gonna tune that for the 7.076. It looks like I have about 25khz bandwidth on this dipole.

Still got a lot more to learn but I got the basics down now.

In the old days a 4:1 SWR was perfectly normal. If you are down to a 1.3 you have achieved perfection.

NQ6U
08-14-2014, 10:36 PM
I got one final issue that might not even be an issue. Was watching my ALC meter and its at 7. Is that an indicator i'm overdriving my audio? no matter what I do, I cant get it to go down. I don't have any way to watch my transmit audio so I'm not sure if I'm overdriving it or not. Anyone have any advise on that? Dont wanna be a JT65 LID! lol

Yes! You were probably splattering pretty badly.

You want no movement on your ALC meter at all. Turn the audio level all the way down on your interface unit or computer, whichever applies. Start transmitting and turn it back up until the ALC meter just moves off the peg, then back down until it's back on the peg again.

K7SGJ
08-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes! You were probably splattering pretty badly.

You want no movement on your ALC meter at all. Turn the audio level all the way down on your interface unit or computer, whichever applies. Start transmitting and turn it back up until the ALC meter just moves off the peg, then back down until it's back on the peg again.

That pretty much pegs it.

NQ6U
08-14-2014, 10:40 PM
That pretty much pegs it.

Talk about bringing it down to your level...

W5BRM
08-15-2014, 12:43 AM

GRRRR!!!!!! My 1st DX and this guy wouldn't do it RIGHT!!

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12909&d=1408081337

n0iu
08-15-2014, 05:13 AM

The only other thing to add is that you must turn your compression OFF. Keep the RF output on your radio to its maximum setting and control the output power by adjusting the audio output level of your computer.

Confused yet?

W5BRM
08-15-2014, 07:05 AM
The only other thing to add is that you must turn your compression OFF. Keep the RF output on your radio to its maximum setting and control the output power by adjusting the audio output level of your computer.

Confused yet?

OK looks like compression is off in it's default state. I dont get the Comp Icon until I activate it then I can turn it down to Got it! Thanks everyone so much for your help!

N2ADV
08-15-2014, 09:21 AM
lol I saw N2ADV on last night. Didn't have the antenna matched though so I couldnt get him.

Darn, if you see me again, shoot me a message through JT-Alert and I'll stand by if you need to retune. I work from home so I keep WSJT-X running all the time and the K3, TS480, TS440, or FT817 (depending on which I'm using) is always warm :)

W5BRM
08-15-2014, 08:03 PM
well got the loop back today. its a totally new loop. still not working. dont know if its something im doing wrong or what. all i know is im getting pissed!

Think ill just get my money back from gigaparts and get hamstick dipoles.

KJ3N
08-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Think ill just get my money back from gigaparts and get hamstick dipoles.

A pox on hamstick dipoles. :yuck: :vomit:

Put up a real one, preferably fed with ladder line and a manual tuner.

NQ6U
08-15-2014, 10:00 PM

Confused yet?

I agree completely with turning the compression off but, on my setup, cranking up the RF gain to max doesn't work. The SignaLink USB requires a certain level of audio going into the unit to trigger the VOX, enough that the power level would be too high for PSK-31. YMMV, of course

W5BRM
08-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Loop is being returned to Gigaparts. It's gonna cost me 15% restocking fee plus shipping. Paid $367 for it, its gonna cost me $100 to return that fucker! Thats the only way they would accept it and refund me. If I was to return "defective" I would have to ship to MFJ and MFJ would have to verify it's defective, R/A it back to GP and that would take 30 days. WTF!! :angry::angry::angry:

W5BRM
01-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Just bought a new tuner. Mfj 969. Also bought a window passthrough. Mfj 4602. Already got 50ft ladderline and new coax to replace the old coax. Not going to get the new stuff in time to get on the air this month but i should be ok for next month. Still need to see about the earchi endfed and get some ferrite cores for the coax rf choke balun.

Things are shaping up nicely i think!

W5BRM
02-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Well. got my parts all set up for my 450ohm LL fed Inverted V doublet. Got it almost entirely set up but forgot 1 important thing. Storm Windows! Got storm windows over and what appears to be metallic screening over my windows. I bought a MFJ window passthrough and went to install it. Tried to remove the screen and its all 1 piece attached to the storm window frame. The storm window frame is built into the window frame so I have to disassemble the window frame to remove the storm window frame to get this passthrough to work. Not gonna happen as this is a rental. So now I have to figure out how to get the ladderline outside without running over metal framework. All my windows have the same metal frames around them.

Frustrated!

W5BRM
02-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Got the issue solved. Just checked into OMISS 17m 18.164. New tuner seeeeems to be working. Can tune on 17m and 20m so far. Working on checking out other bands in a while. Tried setting up JT9/65 but i seem to have a modulation problem again. Cant get any audio from the computer to the radio. Radio keys ok and CAT seems ok. Just no audio. Updated the icom drivers and that doesnt help. kinda frustrated. I can receive OK. Saw Spain on 17m JT65 so DX is rolling. Its been 4 months since I last had this going so I've forgotten how to set it up again...lol

Lovin this headset as well. Comfortable for the last 45 mins

KG4NEL
02-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Well. got my parts all set up for my 450ohm LL fed Inverted V doublet. Got it almost entirely set up but forgot 1 important thing. Storm Windows! Got storm windows over and what appears to be metallic screening over my windows. I bought a MFJ window passthrough and went to install it. Tried to remove the screen and its all 1 piece attached to the storm window frame. The storm window frame is built into the window frame so I have to disassemble the window frame to remove the storm window frame to get this passthrough to work. Not gonna happen as this is a rental. So now I have to figure out how to get the ladderline outside without running over metal framework. All my windows have the same metal frames around them.

Frustrated!

In my experience with open wire lines, I haven't found them to be as metal-sensitive as some people make them out to be. As long as you're not taping it to something conductive, I don't think I'd be too worried about it if you don't get RF back in the shack and the tuner likes it.

W5BRM
02-15-2015, 04:21 PM
In my experience with open wire lines, I haven't found them to be as metal-sensitive as some people make them out to be. As long as you're not taping it to something conductive, I don't think I'd be too worried about it if you don't get RF back in the shack and the tuner likes it.

Well my tuner seems to like it but my cable TV box in the bedroom/radio room doesn't like it so much. Not sure about the one in the living room. Think I'm just swamping it with RF so gonna have to keep low power for a bit. I like to run JT65 so that wont be much of an issue. The ladderline doesnt seem to have much of an issue with the aluminum window frame. I ran the LL under the frame where theres a bit of rot going on. (contemplating notifying the landlord about that but if he fixes it....) the LL runs about half an inch under it and I have a plastic shim between it and the frame. I can tune just about everything 40m and up down to a 1:1 to 1:4 swr so its working. Not sure if the 40m inv V will tune 80m or not. might tinker with that later

koØm
02-15-2015, 05:59 PM

Frustrated!

I have the same metal frame window situation but with a twist; from the tuner I am running about 4 feet of flatline TV antenna wire (75 ohms?) out to my antenna "system" (and, I use the term lightly). I ran the wire and then, closed the horizontal sliding window and used "Kentucky Chrome" in an attempt to keep the cold air outside.

BTW, I have all of my equipment grounds running to a common point on the inside of this window frame. On the outside of the frame, I drilled a hole and connected a section of #15 gauge magnet wire which I dropped 3 stories to a ground rod.

I tried to get on the radio yesterday but, I could not get the tuner to work at the normal settings for the different bands. Upon inspection, one side of my Dipole had dipped to the ground.

I pretty sure that anyone who saw me with a fishing rod extended from my window reeling in a piece of #15 coated copper wire thought i was crazy. I was generous with the length of wire on that leg and because of it, my Dentron Tuner could not bring the lower frequencies into a good range; I pruned about 3-5 feet of wire and, the tuning fell right into place.

So, picture this, a " 3' X 5' rectangular ground bus elevated 30 feet in the air with the feedline running thru it to the dipole. It works but, I don't know how much better it would do not being in such close proximity with the metal frame/counterpoise.