PDA

View Full Version : So we bought a trailer....

K9CCH
08-11-2014, 09:12 AM
We finally decided to buy used, instead of buying new and taking the major depreciation hit and getting stuck with something that we wont be able to sell if we need to. I found this trailer on Craigslist, which should have been my first clue, and we went to look at it. It was priced at $6K, they said they'd go as low as $5K, and I only offered them $4K. They took it, and we knew there had been previous "repairs" to water damage. We just didnt' know the extend of the water damage. I'll basically have to repair all of the floor under the dinette and a portion of the rear wall.

Other than that, all systems work - A/C, fridge, lights, propane, stove, oven, microwave, furnace, converter, brakes, awning, slide, windows, etc etc etc. We ran it this weekend in the driveway and its mostly good. I'll only have to change out the water heater, and thats only about $300 and I can do it myself.

If I can fix the floor, and the water heater, the trailer will be worth between $7K and $8K...

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12883&stc=1https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12882&stc=1https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12884&stc=1https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12885&stc=1https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12886&stc=1

K9CCH
08-11-2014, 09:14 AM

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12887&stc=1https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12888&stc=1https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12889&stc=1https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12890&stc=1

K7SGJ
08-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Nice looking rig. A little sweat equity, and you're good to go.

KC2UGV
08-11-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm kinda jealous here. A nice work project to make your own :)

N8YX
08-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Not a bad find. If you're handy with tools you'll not have a problem making that rig as good as new.

What are you planning to pull it with?

K7SGJ
08-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Not a bad find. If you're handy with tools you'll not have a problem making that rig as good as new.

His Honda 125

N2CHX
08-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Nice!

K9CCH
08-11-2014, 11:30 AM

We traded Kenny's space ship in on a 2014 GMC Sierra Texas Edition with the 4.6L V6 Ecoboost engine. The trailer only weighs 4300lbs and it pulls like a dream can't even tell its behind the truck.

The people we bought it from pulled it with a Ford Flex!! LOL

ETA: I'm hoping you're right about that remodeling thing!! We were quite disappointed when we got home and started poking farther and farther into things.

N8YX
08-11-2014, 12:02 PM
The biggest PITA will be getting all of the fixtures and appliances out to get at the damaged areas. How does the subfloor look from underneath the trailer?

KG4CGC
08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Y'all need to christen the hell out of that thing!

K9CCH
08-11-2014, 08:24 PM
The biggest PITA will be getting all of the fixtures and appliances out to get at the damaged areas. How does the subfloor look from underneath the trailer?

Luckily all the floor under the kitchen cabinets are solid. The only thing I'll have to remove is the dinette and the couch, which is just a few screws. And there isn't any plumbing or electrical to contend with so it ought to be pretty easy.

The underside has a bladder under it, so none of the frame is exposed. from what I can feel, most of the joists are still solid. We'll see when we finally get down do it.

It's quite useable as it is though. The patch/hack job that has been done to it in the past has held.

K9CCH
08-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Y'all need to christen the hell out of that thing!

I'mma christen it ok. I'mma park that big bitch on the beach and fish the hell out of a weekend!!

N8YX
08-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I'mma christen it ok. I'mma park that big bitch on the beach and fish the hell out of a weekend!!
That's what I'm talking about! :yes:

NQ6U
08-11-2014, 09:34 PM

My sister and brother-in-law do that all summer long. It's a nice life.

K7SGJ
08-11-2014, 09:45 PM

There is proof positive, right here on this very site, that you don't need a trailer, or even fishing pole to be successful at trolling. Maybe one of the experts around here can guide you.

XE1/N5AL
08-11-2014, 10:26 PM
I worked with a guy whose wife was a corporate big-shot. She was always traveling on business trips around the world. Her husband, my co-worker, was just a happy-go-lucky engineer. When his wife was out-of-town, he would park their camper at the lake and live there while commuting to work each day. The lake was actually much closer to our work than his house. Around quittin' time, I remember that he was always looking forward to a quiet evening of beer and fishing.

K7SGJ
08-11-2014, 10:57 PM
I worked with a guy whose wife was a corporate big-shot. She was always traveling on business trips around the world. Her husband, my co-worker, was just a happy-go-lucky engineer. When his wife was out-of-town, he would park their camper at the lake and live there while commuting to work each day. The lake was actually much closer to our work than his house. Around quittin' time, I remember that he was always looking forward to a quiet evening of beer and fishing.

What an excellent plan. And they think us guys are just dumb maroons.

NA4BH
08-11-2014, 11:01 PM
What an excellent plan. And they think us guys are just dumb maroons.

So you've heard whats been said behind your back?

K7SGJ
08-11-2014, 11:07 PM
So you've heard whats been said behind your back?

Many things go on behind my back, It's not the words thar scare me, it's someof them other things you hear so much about. Deeds, doings, and goinons.

W3WN
08-11-2014, 11:42 PM
So, where are you putting the HF rig & the mobile antennas?

K9CCH
08-12-2014, 11:43 AM

We've looked at travel trailers for two months now, and I've seen everything from the $100K units to the $4K units.

It's AMAZING what you can get in a travel trailer for just $40K. We've jokingly said that we should sell our house and buy one of those.

But think about it. No utilities, minor maintenance costs as compared to a house, the same or sometimes BETTER amenities.... and when you get tired of living on the beach, you can move to the piney forest. And when you get tired of the piney forest, you can move back to the beach.

I'd seriously give it some considerable thought if my partner were serious about it.

K9CCH
08-12-2014, 11:45 AM
So, where are you putting the HF rig & the mobile antennas?

LOL... not sure. I've thought about that though.

I thought about getting one of those antenna tripods that I saw at field day and keeping it in the trailer.

KK4AMI
08-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Make sure you have "Bearing Buddies" on all axles. Buy a grease gun and keep the bearings lubed. Nothin' worse n' that sudden jolt as you are going down the road and that wheel passing you on the left or right. :doh:

K7SGJ
08-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Make sure you have "Bearing Buddies" on all axles. Buy a grease gun and keep the bearings lubed. Nothin' worse n' that sudden jolt as you are going down the road and that wheel passing you on the left or right. :doh:

+100 Bushtits. Those things really work. I have them on all my trailers, and especially wouldn't consider a boat trailer without them. Forces any water out.

NQ6U
08-12-2014, 08:13 PM
+100 Bushtits. Those things really work. I have them on all my trailers, and especially wouldn't consider a boat trailer without them. Forces any water out.

Huh, who gnu that Bushtits were good for wheel bearings?

KG4CGC
08-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Someone should have told the guys at Top Gear that before they took them around their track, by the Stig.

K7SGJ
08-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Huh, who gnu that Bushtits were good for wheel bearings?

They are greasy little bastids. The really hard part is getting them through the zerk fitting.

K9CCH
08-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Bearing buddies huh? Sounds like some kind of child birth adapter.

K7SGJ
08-13-2014, 09:16 AM

Well, it DOES involve using a grease gun.

KK4AMI
08-13-2014, 09:26 AM

If you ever had to lift a trailer, hammer a burned bearing race off the axle or get the damn tire that rolled over an embankment, the resulting hernia does resemble a child birthing. I don't know why, but boat trailer bearings always seem to fail because they go in water, but any trailer that sits around a lot seems to get a seized bearing just to frustrate a good vacation.

NQ6U
08-13-2014, 09:47 AM
If you use Bushtits, it's "Bearing Birdies."

If you ever had to lift a trailer, hammer a burned bearing race off the axle or get the damn tire that rolled over an embankment, the resulting hernia does resemble a child birthing. I don't know why, but boat trailer bearings always seem to fail because they go in water, but any trailer that sits around a lot seems to get a seized bearing just to frustrate a good vacation.

That's why big rigs use oil-filled bearings rather than the greased sort.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads22/wheel_bearing+21371080021.jpg

W7XF
08-13-2014, 12:31 PM
If you use Bushtits, it's "Bearing Birdies."

That's why big rigs use oil-filled bearings rather than the greased sort.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads22/wheel_bearing+21371080021.jpg

Your HolyShitness....
Isn't that the dial for the combo lock chastity belt to the nunnery?

NQ6U
08-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Your HolyShitness....
Isn't that the dial for the combo lock chastity belt to the nunnery?

I would think that even a recovering truck driver would recognize a Stemco bearing cup.

K7SGJ
08-13-2014, 05:24 PM
I would think that even a recovering truck driver would recognize a Stemco bearing cup.

I think I wore one of those when I was a catcher n little league.

NQ6U
08-13-2014, 05:40 PM
I think I wore one of those when I was a catcher n little league.

And it probably kept your ball bearings well-lubricated, too.

Seriously, I wish I could come up with a deal like the manufacturer has going with those things. There's six of them (at about $20 each) on every 18-wheeler you see going down the road, all made by Stemco.

K9CCH
08-14-2014, 06:59 AM

I've not ever had to do that... course I haven't owned any boats or travel trailers before either. And I guess I never pulled out horse trailers enough for that to happen.

Are they easy to install myself, or does it require a visit to a service center?

K7SGJ
08-14-2014, 09:08 AM
I've not ever had to do that... course I haven't owned any boats or travel trailers before either. And I guess I never pulled out horse trailers enough for that to happen.

Are they easy to install myself, or does it require a visit to a service center?

Just pop off the old grease cups by prying with a screwdriver or use a pair of channel locks and roll off. The buddy bearings just pound on with a rubber mallet or a regular hammer and a block of wood to protect the bearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5Bng4Y3Ns

KG4CGC
08-14-2014, 09:16 AM
*Bobby Hill voice* "I'm trailing the hell out of this trailer!"