PDA

View Full Version : 100 years ago yesterday

NQ6U
08-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Great Britain declared war on Germany, launching World War l. That, in turn, set the stage for the rise of fascism in Europe and led to World War ll, making the 20th Century the deadliest one hundred years in recorded human history.

PA5COR
08-05-2014, 01:55 PM
That is quite simplified and wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I
Have a read up.

NQ6U
08-05-2014, 01:56 PM
That is quite simplified and wrong.

Simplified, yes. Wrong? Please elaborate.

PA5COR
08-05-2014, 01:57 PM

NQ6U
08-05-2014, 02:12 PM

Read my post again. You'll notice that it does not mention the root causes of World War l at all, only the generally agreed upon start date—the date that Britain declared war on Germany.

PA5COR
08-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks to the harshness of its peace settlement (signed at Versailles in 1919), sow the seeds for a second and even more destructive global conflict which, in turn, gave rise to the Cold War.

The Key Dates

28th June - Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to Austro-Hungarian Empire, by a Serb separatist at Sarajevo.

28 July - Austro-Hungarian Empire declares war on Serbia

31st July - Australian Government pledges support for Britain "to our last man and our last shilling"

1 August - Germany declares war on Russia

2nd August - German troops move into Luxembourg

3rd August - Germany declares war on France

3rd August - Australia offers expeditionary force of 20,000 troops

4th August - Germany invades Belgium, Britain declares war on Germany

5 August - Australia declares war on German. Artillery at Fort Nepeanfire at ship Pfalz to stop her leaving Port Phillip Bay - the first Allied shot fired in the war.

6th August - Austro-Hungarian Empire declares war on Russia

7th August - British Expeditionary Force lands in France

10 August - Australian Imperial Forces (A.I.F) launch recruitment drive

12 August - Britain and France declare war on Austro-Hugarian Empire

13 August - Austro-Hungarian Empire forces invade Serbia. Establishment of the Australian Red Cross to raise funds to purchase comfort supplies for Australian service personnel overseas

As you can see the war already started before the UK declared war on Germany.

VE7DCW
08-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Read my post again. You'll notice that it does not mention the root causes of World War l at all, only the generally agreed upon start date—the date that Britain declared war on Germany.

Agreed ........ August 4th 1914 which really should've been a "day that would live in infamy" .....Britain declared war on Germany to start the Great War and by default pretty well dragged the Commonwealth in and for that 60,000 Canadians died in those amazing killing fields and trenches of Belgium and France....... all to set up in preparations for the conditions to start the Second World War :(

HUGH
08-05-2014, 03:36 PM
It was more complex than expressed on the TV, and little of the full build-up history has normally been explained. Wikipedia has quite a lot of information. Here is a little of my infill perhaps:

Beginning, possibly as long ago as the reunification, the German government forsaw the need to fully equip their new army and to defend both the Eastern and Western fronts during their ambitions. These ambitions had seemed clear to France from the 19th century leading to the reinforcement of the frontier. The assassination of the headstrong Archduke Ferdinand was probably of little global importance and some nations would have breathed a sigh of relief.

At the start of World War I, to assist in these ambitions the Germans planned to use the existing railways to carry troops and equipment through neutral Luxembourg and Belgium, annexing those countries on the way, and into France thus bypassing the conventional fortifications on the Franco-German border, and subduing France, possibly blocking Britain also even if she remained neutral, leaving more troops free to hold back the Eastern front from Russia, who had long allied with France.

Saboteurs from Luxembourg,and especially Belgium, destroyed some of the rail infrastructure but the Germans entered France with less delay than hoped and initially there appeared little to stop them. This was when both France and Britain really started to gear up for war, building vehicles, weapons and munitions and transporting them to the front. It would have been quite impossible for Britain to ignore happenings in Europe, if the Germans had their own way, most of Europe may have become a "no-go" zone.

The Commonwealth was a mixture of countries which the British had colonised, many people leaving Britain to settle overseas, voluntarily or otherwise, so in view of the sheer numbers of men required in battle it seemed logical to persuade, or insist on, colonists to sign up, immigrant or native regardless. Thousands volunteered and thousands died in the process.

The Great War had to start officially on one day even though the German plans were well known in advance and the day chosen was declared. Some body had to do it so reprisal and densive action could begin.

NQ6U
08-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Cor, you're absolutely correct about hostilities beginning before Britain declared war on Germany. However, the majority of historians say that Britain's declaration was the official beginning of The Great War, much like their declaration of war against Germany after the Nazis invaded Poland is considered the official start of the Second World War even though they'd been marching through much of Europe for some time before that.

WØTKX
08-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Yea, they were still "Empire" back then, but fading fast. Our turn now.

NQ6U
08-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Yea, they were still "Empire" back then, but fading fast. Our turn now.

Our turn to fade? I think that might not be such a bad thing.

N2NH
08-06-2014, 10:12 AM

July 28th 1914 is the agreed date of the start of World War I in a thread that I posted about a month ago (https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/27942-One-Hundred-Years-Ago-This-Month-The-First-World-War-Began?highlight=world). Unless you live in the UK, Britains entry did not mark the start of the war.

World War I (WWI or WW1 or World War One), also known as the First World War or the Great War, was a global war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war) centred in Europe that began on 28 July 1914.

Or in Amerispeak, 7/28/1914. So it would be more accurate to say that World War I began 100years, 1 week and 2 days ago as of today. In light of the fact that this is the Centenary of the war in which some estimate (CNN) that 2% of the world was killed (probably as many died of the Spanish Influenza in 1918 too), I have read quite a few books on this. All have 7/28/1914 as the beginning of the war.

LINKINATION. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I)

N2NH
08-06-2014, 06:14 PM
This IS the 69th anniversary of the dropping of the Atomic Bomb over Hiroshima though. A few days later, the Atomic Bomb was dropped over Nagasaki (8/14/1945). That date is the end of World War II.

NQ6U
08-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Well, fuck it, I was wrong. Disregard this entire thread (you bastids).

K7SGJ
08-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Well, fuck it, I was wrong. Disregard this entire thread (you bastids).

Don't sweat it, your Bushtit post more than makes up for any future errors. And by the way, here is a little known fact:

100 years ago yesterday, the Liverpool Bushtit declared war on the Bavarian Titwillow. Who Gnu?

N2NH
08-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Don't sweat it, your Bushtit post more than makes up for any future errors.

I agree. Nobody, and I mean nobody does Bushtit like da popey dude.

And by the way, here is a little known fact:

100 years ago yesterday, the Liverpool Bushtit declared war on the Bavarian Titwillow. Who Gnu?

Ya skuled me.

NQ6U
08-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Don't sweat it, your Bushtit post more than makes up for any future errors. And by the way, here is a little known fact:

And if the Bushtit hadn't prevailed, we'd all be stuffing thistle seed socks for the Kaisertit.

W7XF
08-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Do we all have our ducks in a row?

K7SGJ
08-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Do we all have our ducks in a row?

Ducks? We're still working on the Bushtits.

KG4CGC
08-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Ducks? We're still working on the Bushtits.

Aflac?

K7SGJ
08-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Aflac?

Ben has nothing to do with it.

N2NH
08-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Ben has nothing to do with it.

Alright Uncle back in the closet with you.
http://www.unclebens.com/getattachment/b912a5ef-39d8-4899-8016-634fe99ce833/Uncle-Ben-s-reg;-Fast-Cook.aspx