PDA

View Full Version : N4PY Software

W5BRM
08-01-2014, 01:52 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever used the N4PY rig control software?

http://www.n4py.com/icom.html

I was looking into software for the 7200 and I came across this. I've never run any radio as a SDR or SDT so I am totally noob at this.

As I am interested in Digi modes, HRD is a consideration but can it be run as SDR with full rig control and the full band sweep? I know the N4PY software won't do digi but is otherwise a full control program. Whats the comparison between them (other then digi mode xmit)

n0iu
08-02-2014, 06:12 AM
I have never used the N4PY software, but...

Just because you can control your rig with your computer, that does not mean you have a "software defined radio". A software controlled radio and a software defined radio are two completely different things.

and furthermore...

No piece of software alone will give you a full band sweep "panadapter" by itself. In order to do that, you will need to add additional hardware to your station. According to the N4PY page, "With the new Flex-1500 (or even a used SDR-1000 1 watt version for around $200) now available from Flex Radio, you can now add the fantastic Flex Radio real time panadapter to your Icom radio when using N4PY software. The N4PY Icom Radio Control program will allow you to add any Flex radio (the brand new Flex-1500 is only $579) to your Icom radio." (And to update this, the SDR-1000 is no longer in production and the Flex-1500 is now $699.00.)

So now that I have totally burst your bubble...

I heartily recommend HRD. If you really want to try it out without the 30 day "trial period" limitation of the latest version, you can download the last free version here: http://www.iw5edi.com/software/ham-radio-deluxe-5-download-links. I still use the free version and it works fine for my purposes. The only caveat is that there is no "official" support for this product from the company that now owns HRD, but there are plenty of folks out there using it so getting support shouldn't be a problem. I use it with an IC-7410 that also has the same USB connection as the IC-7200 and setup is a breeze. (But then again I thought setting up LoTW was pretty easy!) If you really like HRD and have $99 burning a hole in your pocket, they tell me that migrating from the free version to the paid version is a relatively painless process.

Clear as mud, eh?

WØTKX
08-02-2014, 08:35 AM
I used N4PY software a LOT, and it worked well for me.

I have run as many as three rigs at the same time...
Ten Tec Pegasus, Kenwood TS-850, and Yaesu FT-897.

The logging is good, and it allowed me to do things remotely.

I have not used it in quite a while, but I will/would if I use the Pegasus again.
However, I'm using the Flex 3000 all the time, and I prefer it over the others.

I quit using HRD, but used to. I switched to FL-Digi, logging is a lot better.

n0iu
08-02-2014, 08:51 AM
And there is also the DX Labs suite of programs which is also free, but personally I think Dave AA6YQ is a dickhead. But that's OK, he doesn't care much for me either.

N8YX
08-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Has anyone reading this thread used 'PY to control a Ten-Tec transceiver (Omni V/VI, Paragon, etc) in slave mode with a supported receiver such as an RX-340? I'm envisioning the next iteration of my shack and I think the Ten-Tecs have earned a permanent spot therein. Just need secondary receiver support for each.

WØTKX
08-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Umm, I tried it with the Pegasus and the Delta II. But the Delta II has very limited rig control.

However, it should work... go to his website and ask him.

W5BRM
08-02-2014, 04:26 PM
I have never used the N4PY software, but...

Just because you can control your rig with your computer, that does not mean you have a "software defined radio". A software controlled radio and a software defined radio are two completely different things.

and furthermore...

No piece of software alone will give you a full band sweep "panadapter" by itself. In order to do that, you will need to add additional hardware to your station. According to the N4PY page, "With the new Flex-1500 (or even a used SDR-1000 1 watt version for around $200) now available from Flex Radio, you can now add the fantastic Flex Radio real time panadapter to your Icom radio when using N4PY software. The N4PY Icom Radio Control program will allow you to add any Flex radio (the brand new Flex-1500 is only $579) to your Icom radio." (And to update this, the SDR-1000 is no longer in production and the Flex-1500 is now $699.00.)

So now that I have totally burst your bubble...

I heartily recommend HRD. If you really want to try it out without the 30 day "trial period" limitation of the latest version, you can download the last free version here: http://www.iw5edi.com/software/ham-radio-deluxe-5-download-links. I still use the free version and it works fine for my purposes. The only caveat is that there is no "official" support for this product from the company that now owns HRD, but there are plenty of folks out there using it so getting support shouldn't be a problem. I use it with an IC-7410 that also has the same USB connection as the IC-7200 and setup is a breeze. (But then again I thought setting up LoTW was pretty easy!) If you really like HRD and have $99 burning a hole in your pocket, they tell me that migrating from the free version to the paid version is a relatively painless process.

Clear as mud, eh?

Thanks for that. Yeah i totally dont know the diff between how a computer interacts with a radio so far as Controlled and Defined go. I doubt I would ever go as far as actually adding more equipment to my station for that, me being the el cheapo that I am...lol. Thanks for the link to the older version of HRD. I might try that before I get tyhe $$$HRD . I have FLDIGI that i play around with decoding stuff I hear using http://www.globaltuners.com/ so I'm not ENTIRELY noobish at it. Just have never had anything hooked to a LIVE radio before.