PDA

View Full Version : Noon News Reports Facebook is Down

N2NH
08-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Apparently the anchor was trying to update her page when it went down.

N2NH
08-01-2014, 11:24 AM
We're out here too...

In a rare outage, visitors to the Facebook website just before 5pm UK time were greeted with a message reading "Sorry, something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can."
And users of the network's mobile apps saw a network error.

Facebook's down. If everyone could just tweet me their Candy Crush scores directly, that would help out a lot.
— Grant Brisbee (@mccoveychron) August 1, 2014 (https://twitter.com/mccoveychron/statuses/495239342944952320)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/facebook-down-social-network-crashes-3949500#ixzz399sA4fMr
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=dndq0sFGyr34avadbi-bnq&u=DailyMirror) | DailyMirror on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=dndq0sFGyr34avadbi-bnq&u=DailyMirror)

As reported on the web, this from the UK.

W5BRM
08-01-2014, 12:45 PM
...and why is this important?

N2CHX
08-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Oh noeeessssss!

W3WN
08-01-2014, 01:23 PM
It's not. But some Facebookers will think it is.

suddenseer
08-01-2014, 02:29 PM
When was FB up?

N2NH
08-01-2014, 02:57 PM

Ummm... because half the sites out there have you log on with FB.

W5BRM
08-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Ummm... because half the sites out there have you log on with FB.

I dont have a facebook account and i have no problems login anywhere i make an account with a junk email address...lol :lol:

W5BRM
08-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I think thats just another reason that "convenience" is gonna b the death of us all! I never put all my eggs in one basket. These companies that want to be the end all of you internet experience are just plain evil

N2NH
08-01-2014, 03:21 PM
I think thats just another reason that "convenience" is gonna b the death of us all! I never put all my eggs in one basket. These companies that want to be the end all of you internet experience are just plain evil

Interesting that you should mention that. The telegraph was considered too fast for the truth over 150 years ago in the mid-18th Century...

Perusing The New York Times archives a few days ago, I stumbled upon a delightful news nugget (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9904EFD61331EE34BC4152DFBE668383 649FDE) from 1858 about the "benefits and evils" of the transatlantic telegraph—delightful, because it reads like it could have been written today by a print nostalgist about the benefits and evils of the Internet.

Just try replacing "telegraphic intelligence" with "Twitter" or "online news," and you'll see what I mean:
"Superficial, sudden, unsifted, too fast for the truth, must be all telegraphic intelligence. Does it not render the popular mind too fast for the truth? Ten days bring us the mails from Europe. What need is there for the scraps of news in ten minutes? How trivial and paltry is the telegraphic column?"
The article was published on August 19, 1858, three days after the completion of the first successful test of an undersea cable that made North American communications with Europe possible in minutes rather than days. More from the Times: "That it will be of very great use cannot be questioned, but how will its uses add to the happiness of mankind? Has the land telegraph done any good? Has it banished any evil, mitigated any sorrow?"

(http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/in-1858-people-said-the-telegraph-was-too-fast-for-the-truth/375171/)
In 1858, People Said the Telegraph Was 'Too Fast for the Truth' (http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/in-1858-people-said-the-telegraph-was-too-fast-for-the-truth/375171/)

Morse before Hams when people made money transmitting the news. I think eventually equilibrium will be achieved with the Internet but privacy, or the illusion of privacy, is history any way you look at it.

N2NH
08-01-2014, 03:22 PM
I dont have a facebook account and i have no problems login anywhere i make an account with a junk email address...lol :lol:

The sites I use always send a confirmation e-mail. I sometimes use facebook because I don't want junk e-mail.

W5BRM
08-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Interesting that you should mention that. The telegraph was considered too fast for the truth over 150 years ago in the mid-18th Century...

(http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/in-1858-people-said-the-telegraph-was-too-fast-for-the-truth/375171/)
In 1858, People Said the Telegraph Was 'Too Fast for the Truth' (http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/in-1858-people-said-the-telegraph-was-too-fast-for-the-truth/375171/)

Morse before Hams when people made money transmitting the news. I think eventually equilibrium will be achieved with the Internet but privacy, or the illusion of privacy, is history any way you look at it.

FB is trying to be the Wal Mart of the social media world. They are simply trying to be the "one stop shop" for all your online needs. News, shopping, neighborhood gathering place. In some cases they even want to supplant the way local govt interfaces with its citizens by giving a "platform" for each party to communicate.

The main issue i have with all this is that when you think about it, you have 1 party attempting to control how you interact with govt, get you news from and who you can socialize with! NO single entity should ever have that sort of power over anyones life! I just dont get why people cant SEE the potential for evil here. Potential is actually the wrong word. Lets remove that.

I just dont get it!

All your information that you choose to put online is captured, stored and sold by fb making them millions of $$ and what do you get? Silly farm games, brainless chat, a platform that you THINK will make a difference in the world but its all swallowed up by the same 2billion other users who are making the same noise you are. It just dont make sense.

Folks need to look beyond their "status" postings and see what kind of real damage they are doing to their privacy and rights they have.

Its nobody looking at the Big picture that everyone refuses to see that gets under my skin about FB.

Jeez its a pita to type this out on a ;4$$&$ phone... Lol

N2CHX
08-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I just don't want to live on this planet anymore...

http://myfox8.com/2014/08/01/facebook-goes-down-for-about-a-half-hour-911-lights-up/

n2ize
08-01-2014, 04:08 PM
I don't understand what is wrong with some people. FB goes down for 1/2 an hour and they think it's an international emergency.

Don't get me wrong. I use FB and I like it for certain things. But, when it becomes an obsession and something you can't do without for a couple of minutes then something is very wrong.

K7SGJ
08-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Well it did knock the Ebola news into 2nd place, albeit briefly.

N2NH
08-01-2014, 04:33 PM
They went to Twitter of course...

Chris F. Holm (@chrisfholm)
"DAMMIT WHAT IF TODAY'S THE DAY I SEE A SUNSET AND FEEL BLESSED? #facebookdown"
Monstaz (@MonstazFaye)
"I am hearing voices. Oh, nvm, its just people going outside to shout out their status updates. #facebookdown"
God (@TheTweetOfGod)
"Attention world: #facebookdown. Please remain calm and do not attempt to interact with human beings."

ThisSongSlaps.com (@thissongslaps)
"#Facebookdown: Millions of mothers worldwide are forced to raise their babies instead of posting pictures of them on Facebook."
WGNMorningNews (@WGNMorningNews)
"Now is the PERFECT time to get Grandma signed up for The Twitter. #FacebookDown"

Yep, Grandma just needs The Twitter.

Facebook down: The best tweets during the Facebook outage (http://www.examiner.com/article/facebook-down-the-best-tweets-during-the-facebook-outage)

PA5COR
08-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Yep, god forbid people really had to communicate with each other face to face in a real conversation, yuck...

kb2vxa
08-01-2014, 05:50 PM
The internet is made of cats, and Fartsbook is made of cat shit.

N2CHX
08-01-2014, 05:52 PM
You know what kills me? I had a co-worker not invite me to a party because we weren't friends on facebook so she had no clue how to invite me.

N2NH
08-01-2014, 06:14 PM
What kills me is that a news service doesn't know the difference between half an hour and 2 and a half hours.

But yep. A lot of people use FB for connections and messaging. Makes me wonder what they do with their phones? Oh, right, they go on FB - I know because I had a friend who couldn't take phone calls because he was on his smartphone posting on FB.

It can be handy. We recently were able to locate a friend who had moved overseas 8 years ago.

Are there problems? Sure. I only go on once or twice a week because I think people who post 50 things a day on a timeline are abusing the privilege.

HUGH
08-02-2014, 03:00 PM
I'd tweaked my email system to a "T", set up Skype correctly, bought 4 new cordless phones and, bugger me as we say, most of the people I might want to communicate with now use FaceAche instead. The trash and other stuff that I have to keep hiding is in vast quantities and one or two relatives get all huffy if I remove them from my Family or Friends (which both seem to be the same to me, but then I don't really know how to use it anyway).

FaceAche just does not work how I would want or expect and it's constantly changing with advertising now. I hope it all catches fire. Bah, Humbug and it isn't even Christmas.

NQ6U
08-02-2014, 03:12 PM
I played around on Facebook for a while but decided that the trade-off between what I got out of it and what the company did with my personal information wasn't worth it so I closed my account. The company makes doing that as hard as possible which, in my book, is a big red flag all by itself.

Now if I want to log on to the site for some reason or another, I use an account I created using a pseudonym and a throw-away e-mail address.

kb2vxa
08-03-2014, 01:29 AM
Don't forget the proxy server!

HUGH
08-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Now if I want to log on to the site for some reason or another, I use an account I created using a pseudonym and a throw-away e-mail address.

Being a bit too innocent at the time I wish I'd thought of that.

n2ize
08-04-2014, 02:45 PM
What kills me is that a news service doesn't know the difference between half an hour and 2 and a half hours.

But yep. A lot of people use FB for connections and messaging. Makes me wonder what they do with their phones? Oh, right, they go on FB - I know because I had a friend who couldn't take phone calls because he was on his smartphone posting on FB.

It can be handy. We recently were able to locate a friend who had moved overseas 8 years ago.

Are there problems? Sure. I only go on once or twice a week because I think people who post 50 things a day on a timeline are abusing the privilege.

I have a FB app on my phone. But most of the time I keep the app shut down. I don't need to be alerted every time someone responds to something. I might turn it on if I am going to be away for several days but that's about it. same thing for Google/YouTube notifications. I don;t need to be notified everytime someone responds to a likes a video or comment. I can wait till I get home to look at FB or Google. Prolongs battery life too. And even when i am home I check it only once a day of so. I do use the Ebay phone app when I am in the bidding process on an item. Otherwise I keep that shut down as well. Sometimes if a bid is nearing it's end and I can't get home in time it comes in very handy and can mean the difference between winning the bid or losing it.