PDA

View Full Version : Big X-class flare nearly DESTROYS EARTH!!! ...oh noes....

N7YA
07-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Whew! We skated death 2 years ago....of course, death being defined by the New York Post as losing reliable cell service for a day or two, and maybe some good light shows in the atmosphere.

I just thought this was a humorous thing to share with a bunch of radio ops.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/24/solar-flare-nearly-destroyed-earth-two-years-ago-nasa/

K7SGJ
07-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Can you imagine no "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" for several days? People would be cutting their throats all over the place.

KJ3N
07-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Can you imagine no "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" for several days? People would be cutting their throats all over the place.

Don't get my hopes up....

N2NH
07-25-2014, 07:02 PM
I knew about this nearly 3 months ago, but I refrained from posting in my capacity of Gloom and Doom Poster.

IF this had hit, nearly all electronics would've been fried, and electrical generation would've become non-existent. Transformers everywhere would be blown out and it would take years if not decades just to restore basic electrical production. I'm pretty certain GPS, Air travel, rail travel and anything computer controlled would be junk. For years, thanks to a story in the Old Farmers Almanac, I have been aware of the prior event that took place in the mid-1800s when there was little running on electricity. Railroad telegraphers had a heck of a time though. One thing that they found out was that they could disconnect their lines from the battery and they would still work.

Be interesting to see the ramifications of living in 1800 again in a world with 8 billion people living in the dark.

NQ6U
07-25-2014, 07:03 PM

Hell, I'd set up a push cart and start renting out knives.

KG4CGC
07-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Again, this actually hit about the 8 o'clock position assuming we were at 12:00 o'clock in the orbital path. Just like the one in 2012 which was actually closer.

W7XF
07-26-2014, 03:41 AM

Or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo??

Or Justin PowerBottom videos?

N2CHX
07-26-2014, 05:45 AM

Yeah really... Don't be such a tease!

n2ize
07-26-2014, 10:50 AM

Are you kidding. They go insane when the station breaks into their show to provide a tornado or hurricane warning. Meteorologists have gotten death threats from angry viewers pissed off because they broke into their show to warn people in the path of an oncoming tornado to take shelter and be ready. Of course most of the angry remarks and threats come from people who are not in the storms path. In other words, " am watching Honey Boo Boo so screw anyone who may be in danger".

wa6mhz
07-26-2014, 12:30 PM
It is very DANGEROUS To live on this Planet!!! not only are there big flares, but also big spiders!!!

NQ6U
07-26-2014, 12:46 PM
It is very DANGEROUS To live on this Planet!!! not only are there big flares, but also big spiders!!!

And Lincoln Towncars that look like porcupines!!!

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/patmobile.jpg

n2ize
07-26-2014, 01:02 PM

Spiders don't scare me in the least. In fact I like them. However, that said remember, it's not the big ones that one should worry about, it's the small ones...the ones that are no bigger than a dime.

KJ3N
07-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Only to the perpetually fearful, paranoid, and hyperbolic.

N2NH
07-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Only to the perpetually fearful, paranoid, and hyperbolic.

Interesting. I heard the same thing about hurricanes until Sandy hit. Then it was, meh, everybody knows that happens. SO, hyperbole before, meh afterwards. This ought to be interesting as it was the second near miss we've had in the last twenty years and the predictions for the next ten years are 1 in 8 of it actually hitting the Earth. Of course, we'll not have the chance to react on the Internet as there will be no Internet if this does happen. So, a pre-emptive...

meh.

KJ3N
07-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Interesting. I heard the same thing about hurricanes until Sandy hit. Then it was, meh, everybody knows that happens. SO, hyperbole before, meh afterwards. This ought to be interesting as it was the second near miss we've had in the last twenty years and the predictions for the next ten years are 1 in 8 of it actually hitting the Earth. Of course, we'll not have the chance to react on the Internet as there will be no Internet if this does happen. So, a pre-emptive...

meh.

Oh, by all means, please continue with the flailing of arms at everything around you that could potentially kill you.

http://blog.pickcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/6a012876c6c7fb970c017c3705c35f970b.gif

I'll be over here, smoking a fattie.

http://rakesprogress.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/smokingpot.jpg

I refuse to hide under my bed at every boogey man out there. Everyone dies, it's just a question of when. You don't get out of life alive.

Was there anything we could have done about an X-class flare with 9 minutes warning? In all likelihood, no, so why worry about it?

Life will go on. The 3.5 billion-year history of this planet tells us that. If it goes on without us, that's just another chapter of life on planet Earth.

Meh...

"You got people like this around you? Country is full of them now! People walking around all day long, every minute of the day — worried about EVERYTHING! Worried about the air, worried about the water, worried about the soil. Worried about insecticides, pesticides, food additives, carcinogens; worried about radon gas; worried about asbestos." - George Carlin

N2NH
07-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Nothing of the sort. Meh away. If we fail to survive as a species, we have nothing to differentiate us from the 'pea-brained*' dinosaurs that disappeared.

*as described when I went to college.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hTrYUFu44Fk/TamE4jpWgKI/AAAAAAAADIc/d7BV8bxo_08/s1600/Sarah-Palin-Dinosaurs-and-man-lived-together.jpg

N7YA
07-26-2014, 05:33 PM
It seems that the ones who will go the way of the dino's are the ones who cant adjust to living in an 1800's scenario. This isnt that hard. We can learn to live without our beeping, flashy lights and stuff. And the effects of a huge flare hitting us will be a matter of the atmosphere getting back to normal after a week, the companies that make billions using some of that money to fast track their systems back to operational. Lots of things will be damaged, but only for a short time.

The only systems that may be down for years, as it were, will be more rural, less well equipped systems with very limited funds. It would be chaos for a bit as some looting and lots of complaining will occur, but people will get back to their normal, over-consuming, needlessly whiny and undeservedly entitled selves. :yes:

The ones who can (or currently do) live by, or easily adjust to, 1800's standards wont notice a thing besides the really cool lights in the night sky...and maybe some increased skin cancer, but the jury is still out on that one.

N2NH
07-26-2014, 06:23 PM
It seems that the ones who will go the way of the dino's are the ones who cant adjust to living in an 1800's scenario. This isnt that hard. We can learn to live without our beeping, flashy lights and stuff. And the effects of a huge flare hitting us will be a matter of the atmosphere getting back to normal after a week, the companies that make billions using some of that money to fast track their systems back to operational. Lots of things will be damaged, but only for a short time.

The only systems that may be down for years, as it were, will be more rural, less well equipped systems with very limited funds. It would be chaos for a bit as some looting and lots of complaining will occur, but people will get back to their normal, over-consuming, needlessly whiny and undeservedly entitled selves. :yes:

The ones who can (or currently do) live by, or easily adjust to, 1800's standards wont notice a thing besides the really cool lights in the night sky...and maybe some increased skin cancer, but the jury is still out on that one.

Sounds a lot like some of the religious sects here in the Northeast. But with 8 Billion people on the planet and most of our infrastructure controlled by computers and GPS, it will not be pretty. Then there's the medical labs who make medicine. They probably will not be able to make a lot of meds without electricity. People who live far from stores, pharmacies, hospitals, etc. will have to walk. Any car with electronics in it will be useless. Forget about Teslas and Prius', a 67 Impala will have a better chance of being unaffected.

K7SGJ
07-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Sounds a lot like some of the religious sects here in the Northeast. But with 8 Billion people on the planet and most of our infrastructure controlled by computers and GPS, it will not be pretty. Then there's the medical labs who make medicine. They probably will not be able to make a lot of meds without electricity. People who live far from stores, pharmacies, hospitals, etc. will have to walk. Any car with electronics in it will be useless. Forget about Teslas and Prius', a 67 Impala will have a better chance of being unaffected.

I'll depend on my old Mustang

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12782&stc=1

KG4CGC
07-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Lizard people have lived in underground cities for the past 8000 years.

NQ6U
07-26-2014, 07:39 PM

Shhhhhhhh! That's supposed to be our little secret! If everyone knew, they'd be down here eating all our bugs.

KG4CGC
07-26-2014, 07:49 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/10513491_255411111314142_3709253168443363299_n_zps 72c9f2d8.jpg

N2NH
07-27-2014, 06:23 AM

But can they keep up with Kim Jong Un?

http://youtu.be/JUgEmezpS_E

n2ize
07-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Oh, by all means, please continue with the flailing of arms at everything around you that could potentially kill you.

http://blog.pickcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/6a012876c6c7fb970c017c3705c35f970b.gif

I'll be over here, smoking a fattie.

http://rakesprogress.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/smokingpot.jpg

I refuse to hide under my bed at every boogey man out there. Everyone dies, it's just a question of when. You don't get out of life alive.

Was there anything we could have done about an X-class flare with 9 minutes warning? In all likelihood, no, so why worry about it?

Life will go on. The 3.5 billion-year history of this planet tells us that. If it goes on without us, that's just another chapter of life on planet Earth.

Meh...

Are you saying you are not worried ? If an asteroid doesn't take us out then a comet will, or a gamma ray burst will, or a solar flare will, or a nuclear war will, or a supervolcano will, or a massive earthquake will, or a hurricane will, or a tornado will, or a severe thunderstorm will, or a blizzard will, or an epidemic will. And even if we make it through all that in billions of years from now our sun will become a red giant and engulf the earth boiling iff the oceans and ending life as we know it,.So, no matter which way we slice it we are doomed no matter what.

n2ize
07-29-2014, 11:15 AM

I think I'll get a head start on it and go into the horse and carriage business. I wonder if it would be feasible to encapsulate the earth within an enormous metal sphere to protect us from electromagnetic radiation ?

w3bny
07-29-2014, 11:30 AM
"How sayeth you now about mine olde ways....bitches"

N2NH
07-29-2014, 11:32 AM
I think I'll get a head start on it and go into the horse and carriage business.

I think I'll get a '68 Firebird. I wonder if a car can be retrofitted to work without all those electronics. The I'm thinking not without gutting the entire engine and ignition system.