PDA

View Full Version : July/August 2014 NCJ

W3WN
07-21-2014, 05:56 PM
I have to admit, the July/August 2014 issue of the National Contest Journal, a "Special WRTC 2015 Commemorative Edition", is really something:

-- Biographies on the competitors and referees.
-- Antenna design
-- Schedule of Events.
-- A Great Circle map centered on the WRTC locations.
-- Real-time scoreboard information, so you can follow along at home.
-- Participation Awards check-list to be used while operating.

Great issue.

Of course, it would have been a lot more useful if it had arrived before the event. Not today: 8 days after the event ended.

Too bad all that hard work on this special issue went for naught.

KG4NEL
09-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Hams, on the cutting edge!

The irony is, the idea of a real-time packet cluster predated Twitter by decades.

W3WN
09-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Funny thing, after I posted a similar comment on the Contest reflector, I got four different sets of responses:

A lot of the hard core contesters all told me, in essence, "quit being a cheap ham, next time, pay for first class mail delivery". On the reflector.

Many casual contesters, and some of the hard core ones as well, told me that the same thing had happened to them, and that they were disappointed to some degree. Off the reflector.

One of the higher-ups in organizing the WRTC said it was his fault, that he'd delayed some of the articles for refinement/review to make the WRTC-oriented issue just peachy, so as a result, it was shipped out 2 weeks late. On the reflector.

And one of the NCJ staff people told me, off the reflector, Tough $h!t.

I don't plan on renewing my subscription.

K7SGJ
09-24-2014, 08:13 AM
You're probably better off putting that $$ towards World Series tickets.

W3WN
09-24-2014, 11:01 PM
You're probably better off putting that $$ towards World Series tickets.
We already have our WC & NLDS tickets. Next NLCS. One thing at a time.