PDA

View Full Version : Lovers of the rails...

N2CHX
07-20-2014, 07:16 PM
I went on a little mountain bike journey today and this is what I came back with. The engine is the former CP #5361, also found in this image from 1950: http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/uploads/r/null/9/0/906522/bdcca31a-796e-42d1-adfa-3b5a64c30070-A22222.jpg

Enjoy...

http://storage.kellimcmillan.com/rails/

XE1/N5AL
07-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Cool photos. They bring back memories. When I was a child, we lived about 1/4 of a mile from the rail line and we kids would walk for miles along the tracks. Also, I still remember Mom taking my brother and I on a passenger train ride around Dallas, in the early 1970's. Passenger train service had been discontinued in the area, and the train company was offering a short, reminiscent excursion for train fans who wanted to "ride the rails" one more time.

KG4CGC
07-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Cool pics. Some of the close ups would make great textures for photoshop. Is that your personal server you have them stored on?

VE7DCW
07-20-2014, 08:07 PM
5361 was a 2-8-2 "Mikado" built by Montreal Locomotive works for Canadian Pacific in 1919.....the "Mikes" were the most powerful class of steam locomotives CP had,even compared with their Royal Hudson's,until the late 1940's when the mighty Selkirks were built for pulling trains through the Rocky Mountains.......Geeeeeeez.... I guess those were the days! :yes:

N2CHX
07-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Cool photos. They bring back memories. When I was a child, we lived about 1/4 of a mile from the rail line and we kids would walk for miles along the tracks. Also, I still remember Mom taking my brother and I on a passenger train ride around Dallas, in the early 1970's. Passenger train service had been discontinued in the area, and the train company was offering a short, reminiscent excursion for train fans who wanted to "ride the rails" one more time.

That's cool. My mom took me on the Arcade & Attica when I was little, which partially accounts for my love of trains.

Cool pics. Some of the close ups would make great textures for photoshop. Is that your personal server you have them stored on?

Feel free to use them. Yes, that's my server :)

KG4CGC
07-20-2014, 08:34 PM

WØTKX
07-20-2014, 08:40 PM
I used to ride the train when I was little, to visit my grandparents in Iowa and (at the time) Wisconsin.

Kids traveling alone were common, and the RR folks took special care of us, it was great FUN!

NQ6U
07-20-2014, 08:56 PM
The rails are boring.

It's the stuff that rolls on the rails that are cool.

KG4CGC
07-21-2014, 12:36 AM
The rails are boring.

It's the stuff that rolls on the rails that are cool.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Train_Easley/TR0028.jpg

KG4CGC
07-21-2014, 12:44 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Dog%20Walk/55f2a425.jpg

n2ize
07-21-2014, 01:17 AM
I am a bit of a railfan myself. But for me my rail fanning interest lies manly with subway trains. Why ? Because that is the kinds of trains I grew up with. For me steam locomotives, diesels, and mainline railroads were things that only appeared in books and TV shows. I didn't experience those till later on in life when we moved outseide the city and even then it was primarily electric and diesel commuter trains running on the New York Central > Penn central --> Conrail --> and finally Metro-North.

In any event thanks for these pics. They are interesting. In particular I like that old steam locomotive. And those old tracks, overgrown with weeds and seeming to lead to nowhere.

The other day I shot some video footage of a stalled Metro-North diesel commuter train at ,my local station being hitched to a diesel locomotive and getting towed southbound. I'll try and post it as soon as I get a chance to edit and splice them together and put it up on Utube.

XE1/N5AL
07-21-2014, 01:57 AM
How many of you were/are into model trains?

From the sixth grade, until the mid-ninth grade, I had an HO gauge layout in the garage. It was a two car garage and Dad let me occupy half of it. He almost always parked outside the garage, anyway.

Getting back to the train layout, it started out occupying a 4 foot x 8 foot rectangular area. Eventually it grew to 4 foot x 16 foot. I don't remember too many details about it; but I do remember building mountains and tunnels by cutting fiberboard forms, tacking down screen wire and covering everything with many boxes of plaster.

The layout had an electric turntable and roundhouse for the engines. Also, there was a neat bridge that my dad had bought for me during one of his business trips to Curacao (still part of the Netherlands Antilles at the time). The different segments of track could be switched between two controllers, so that two persons could operate the set at the same time.

As far as the trains themselves went, I didn't have anything exotic nor remotely expensive. I remember a complete Tyco diesel passenger train with Santa Fe Railroad markings. I think I also had three steam engines and a variety of box cars, tank cars, flat cars and a caboose, or two. As I recall, one of those steam engines was a real junker that didn't run so well.

I looked forward to when I had the funds and when Mom was willing to drive me across town, to Jo-Jo's toy store (in Dallas' Hillside Village shopping center); to buy another thing, or two, for the train set. Many times, I just a bought a "Model Railroader Magazine" and walked out happy.

The demise of my model railroad hobby days was when we moved to Florida, in the middle of ninth grade, and I had to tear everything down. We moved around a lot after that and I never had the opportunity to build another layout.

KK4AMI
07-21-2014, 07:12 AM
I went on a little mountain bike journey today and this is what I came back with. The engine is the former CP #5361, also found in this image from 1950: http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/uploads/r/null/9/0/906522/bdcca31a-796e-42d1-adfa-3b5a64c30070-A22222.jpg

Enjoy...

http://storage.kellimcmillan.com/rails/

I like the old timey sepia prints you have. Reminded me of the Pittsburgh factories and rail yards in the 60s and 70s. Unfortunately, that was the real color in Pittsburgh from all the sulphur in the air. :doh:

W3WN
07-21-2014, 09:29 AM
I am a bit of a railfan myself. But for me my rail fanning interest lies manly with subway trains. Why ? Because that is the kinds of trains I grew up with. For me steam locomotives, diesels, and mainline railroads were things that only appeared in books and TV shows. I didn't experience those till later on in life when we moved outseide the city and even then it was primarily electric and diesel commuter trains running on the New York Central > Penn central --> Conrail --> and finally Metro-North.

In any event thanks for these pics. They are interesting. In particular I like that old steam locomotive. And those old tracks, overgrown with weeds and seeming to lead to nowhere.

The other day I shot some video footage of a stalled Metro-North diesel commuter train at ,my local station being hitched to a diesel locomotive and getting towed southbound. I'll try and post it as soon as I get a chance to edit and splice them together and put it up on Utube.Do you know W2IRT? He's done some books on subway trains. (Which I'm sure now seems obvious, given his vanity call)

When we go on vacation in a few weeks, we're going to spend 2 days in NJ. The second day will be to visit my Mom before heading to the shore, but the first day we're going to be in or near Flemington. I want to schlep around the Black River & Western, and maybe also the New Hope & Ivyland a little bit. I haven't seen the PRR 4666 Brill Doodlebug literally in decades, and I hear it's operational (again).

N8YX
07-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Kelli, where were those photos taken? I would like to see the facility via Google Earth.

NA4BH
07-21-2014, 11:58 AM
That's right off the Fajita HWY, isn't it? Yes it is, there's FATZ.

n2ize
07-21-2014, 02:48 PM
How many of you were/are into model trains?
From the sixth grade, until the mid-ninth grade, I had an HO gauge layout in the garage. It was a two car garage and Dad let me occupy half of it. He almost always parked outside the garage, anyway.

As a kid I played around with Lionel Super-O and O gauge but never had an actual layout. I basically used to lay the tracks down on the floor and take them up when i was done. My brother built up a small Lionel O Gauge setup with switches and sibnals. In my early 20's I built up an N-Gauge layout complete with switches and illuminated signals. I ran a set of electric commuter cars. I wanted to run a set of subway cars but in those days they were rare, hand crafted out of brass, and extremely expensive. So a settled for the next best thing. A factory made set of electric commuter cars. Unfortunatey over the years the layout got wrecked from moving it around, etc.

These days my "model trains" are in the form of train simulators. I've got almost the entire NYC Subway system on computer. I can run old trains, new trains, from R1's to R160's etc. I can drive them the full route from inside the cabs complete with switches, interlockings, layups, wayside block signals, timers etc. I can also ride inside them as a passenger or wait at a station or anywhere along the lines and watch the trains go by or board them. So that is now my dream come true "model railroad". Best of all the only space it takes up is on my hard drive. That is another problem. in this house I have limited space for actual model train layouts.

n2ize
07-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Do you know W2IRT? He's done some books on subway trains. (Which I'm sure now seems obvious, given his vanity call)

It is possible I might have read some of his writings and stuff up on www.nycsubway.org. I might recognize him better by name than by call.

When we go on vacation in a few weeks, we're going to spend 2 days in NJ. The second day will be to visit my Mom before heading to the shore, but the first day we're going to be in or near Flemington. I want to schlep around the Black River & Western, and maybe also the New Hope & Ivyland a little bit. I haven't seen the PRR 4666 Brill Doodlebug literally in decades, and I hear it's operational (again).

I have recently been gaining an interest in urban rail systems outside of the NYC area as well. For example I've been reading about the Chicago transit system.

Sounds like an interesting vacation. If you ever find yourself in NYC around the holidays and in the 6th avenue subway line and you get really lucky you might be able to ride on an old R1 subway car, complete with straw seats and ceiling fans. Every year, usually around the holiday season the NYCTA occasionally runs an old set of R1's for reasons of nostalgia. It's a real treat if you are lucky enough to catch it. They also run it as a "fan trip" but people make reservations and pay a fee to ride it. But wen they run it as a hiliday special you can board it and ride it to your destination for the regular fare just like any other train. The trick is being at the right station at the right time to catch it.

N2CHX
07-21-2014, 09:34 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9102163,-78.6762718,15z

Along the red line between Walter Winter Drive and Rt 78. It's the old DL&W line.

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12740&stc=1

N2CHX
07-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I like the old timey sepia prints you have. Reminded me of the Pittsburgh factories and rail yards in the 60s and 70s. Unfortunately, that was the real color in Pittsburgh from all the sulphur in the air. :doh:

Thank you. Yeah I did a few in B&W and sepia. I thought they looked pretty cool. Same thing south of Buffalo with Bethlehem Steel BTW. We used to pass by the mill almost every weekend on my way to my grandparent's house. I held my nose for miles lol.

NQ6U
07-21-2014, 09:43 PM
I have recently been gaining an interest in urban rail systems outside of the NYC area as well. For example I've been reading about the Chicago transit system.

John, you might enjoy doing some rail fan stuff in San Diego. There are a shit ton of trolleys running all day and the San Diego and Imperial Valley Railroad runs freight at night along the Orange and Blue lines. I hear the locomotive here most nights between midnight and 12:30AM.

NY4Q
07-22-2014, 07:30 AM
Nice. Thanks for posting.

w2amr
07-22-2014, 09:21 AM
As a kid I played around with Lionel Super-O and O gauge but never had an actual layout..Weren't they called O-gauge and O-27 John?

N8YX
07-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Weren't they called O-gauge and O-27 John?
O (or O-30) and O-27 for the radius of the curves.

Tinplate is fun to play with. One of my area motorcycle buddies (sadly, now passed) had a huge collection of the stuff dating from the 20s through the 50s.

n2ize
07-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Weren't they called O-gauge and O-27 John?

Yes. But for a limited time Lionel was selling what they called "Super O" track. It was the same as O Guage except instrad of the traditional track consisting of 3 metal rails the Super O was designed to look more realistic. Each piece of track was fitted with ties to make it appear more like real railroad track. It had the 2 traditional running rails on which the wheels would ride and for the third rail it had a thin copper strip in the center of the track from which the train took its power. One of the problems with this type of track was that after many hours of running time that thin copper third rail would cut a deep groove into the pickup shoes. Eventually the pickup shoes would have to be replaced on a much more frequent basis than with the satandard O and 027 gauge trackage.

w2amr
07-22-2014, 02:34 PM
My dad had a big layout of O gauge trains in a room upstairs when I was a kid. Mostly Lionel with some Marx stuff. I loved playing with the Lionel electric crane and milk car unloader. I still have a Lionel set from 1957. The engine takes smoke pellets, and the whistle is in the tender. I Still have a milk car with unloader, it looks just like the white one in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKU24_eYIlE

HUGH
07-22-2014, 03:27 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Train_Easley/TR0028.jpg

That looks like a well maintained section of track!

XE1/N5AL
07-22-2014, 04:14 PM
A realistic model railroad layout, based on our train networks, would need a lot of figures representing the Central American passengers.

KK4AMI
07-22-2014, 04:22 PM
A realistic model railroad layout, based on our train networks, would need a lot of figures representing the Central American passengers.

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12747&stc=1

I'm guessing there are not many tunnels?

NA4BH
07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
And speaking of trains, the trusty scanner just announced than there is a fire on an Amtrak train nearby.

W2NAP
07-22-2014, 05:07 PM
I miss all the rail we had out here, most of it been removed. but long ago we had so much rail ol bankrobber Dillinger refused to rob a bank in Anderson in fear of getting stopped by a train

N2NH
07-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Love the CP 2-8-2 steam engine in the OP. Never saw that one before. :agree:

N2CHX
07-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Love the CP 2-8-2 steam engine in the OP. Never saw that one before. :agree:

That's the same exact engine in the pics I took.

KG4CGC
07-24-2014, 08:24 PM
That looks like a well maintained section of track!

That was taken right after they raised the bridge over it. They also raised 2 roads that are near it. It used to be the lowest bridge over RR tracks in the US.

n2ize
07-24-2014, 09:41 PM
The Southern Presbyterian railroad shall raise again. Against the heat of the heathens,

W3WN
07-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Well, plans change. Now looks like we won't be heading to NJ until Sunday afternoon -- Little Miss Field Day has a Youth Group "pray and wash" car wash on Sunday morning, and the Boss doesn't want her to miss it -- so I may not have any time on Monday to visit the BR&W and/or NH&I after all. Bummer.

KK4AMI
07-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Well, plans change. Now looks like we won't be heading to NJ until Sunday afternoon -- Little Miss Field Day has a Youth Group "pray and wash" car wash on Sunday morning, and the Boss doesn't want her to miss it -- so I may not have any time on Monday to visit the BR&W and/or NH&I after all. Bummer.

Positive Thinking. You won't have to wash the "family truckster" before you go!

N2NH
07-25-2014, 01:44 PM
5361 was a 2-8-2 "Mikado" built by Montreal Locomotive works for Canadian Pacific in 1919.....the "Mikes" were the most powerful class of steam locomotives CP had,even compared with their Royal Hudson's,until the late 1940's when the mighty Selkirks were built for pulling trains through the Rocky Mountains.......Geeeeeeez.... I guess those were the days! :yes:

My great grandfather was a stone mason with the Canadian Pacific and worked on some of the bridges they built in the Canadian Rockies. I got to admit that I'm more of a Canadian National fan though.

kb2vxa
07-27-2014, 06:49 PM
If we're going to be run out of town on a rail we need a train! <boo> It looks like somebody started a little cosmetic restoration on that engine, but he's going to need a lot more paint. I saw two items of particular interest, an antenna tower (I have three eyes, one for the chicks, one for trains, and one for antennas) and a rotting coal trestle at what was a coal company where the trucks are parked now. That you can see in the Google image from above, Transit Road ( 78 ) is immediately to the left. There was one in my home town Rahway, one of many PRR sidings in town, so I immediately recognized it. The one in the picture has wooden supports, the one I saw had concrete, but the bays are the same between those long horizontal members where the trucks pulled in to be loaded from "side dumps" on the track above. Those BTW are gondolas with chutes on the side of the bottom, others have them in the center. The CNJ had a marvel of engineering in Jersey City that turned several gons upside down at the same time dumping coal into barges. Railroad tugs towed them across the river to Manhattan when everybody burned coal and the city was a much bigger big smoke that it is now. Grey smog is dull and boring, Pissburgh's orange and yellow was pretty, almost as pretty as London's. <cough - gag - choke>

Yeah, I'm a DOM with an eye for the chicks. When I stop looking, bury me.

VE7DCW
07-27-2014, 07:01 PM
My great grandfather was a stone mason with the Canadian Pacific and worked on some of the bridges they built in the Canadian Rockies. I got to admit that I'm more of a Canadian National fan though.

Nothing wrong with being a Canadian National fan..... it is the largest railway in Canada followed by CP.... but CP is the oldest railway that brought British Columbia into confederation and basically united Canada..... CN vacated their presence here on Vancouver Island in the early 1980's and CP sold off the E&N division here on the Island in 1999. :irked:

N2NH
07-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Nothing wrong with being a Canadian National fan..... it is the largest railway in Canada followed by CP.... but CP is the oldest railway that brought British Columbia into confederation and basically united Canada..... CN vacated their presence here on Vancouver Island in the early 1980's and CP sold off the E&N division here on the Island in 1999. :irked:

Sorry to see that they've pretty much gotten rid of trains on your island.

When I visited Montreal back in the 60s, I used to see the CN engines at the head of trains leaving Central Station every morning. Left there myself on Amtrak in '87.

There's two lines here, the Hudson Line on the east shore of the Hudson River and the West Shore line on the opposite shore. The West Shore does most of the heavy lifting when it comes to freight service. The Hudson Line is mixed but seems to be mostly passenger service. Though I am in the mountains, on a quiet day I can hear the horns of the trains blowing 25-30 miles away.

http://yourrailwaypictures.com/TrainBridges/Super_Continental_arriving_at_Montreal_Central_Sta tion%20_CN6793.jpg

n2ize
07-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Reminds me of when I lived in Brooklyn. On a quiet night you could hear the J Train rounding the tight S curves between Cypress Hills and Crescent Street. There is a 10 mph timer controlled speed restriction on both ends of that curve and all the track in between the two curves and right into Crescent.

VE7DCW
07-29-2014, 12:08 PM
The E&N railway here on the Island is not quite dead yet.....when Rail America dumped out on it after the purchase from CP,the native Indian bands,pretty well all the municipalities, towns and even the City Of Victoria came together and formed the Island Corridor Foundation to restore the rail service including passenger service back to the line..... 2 years ago passenger service had been halted by Via rail Canada because of horrendous track conditions and they have stated that it will not return until conditions have been made safe!
The Island Corridor Foundation has acquired approximately 27 million dollars to fix trestles,replace ties etc. and announced just recently with Via Canada confirming a deal to get passenger service up and running again by April of 2015!

Limited freight service with barge ferry transfer supplied by Southern Rail of British Columbia from the mainland never ceased......but the track conditions put them edge to say the least! ........ for the moment it appears that the E&N will survive..... as I write this I can hear the 2 GP 10's supplied by Southern Rail coming down from Nanaimo blowing their air horns at road crossings not too far away from me as they haul down hopper cars of feed product to the livestock feed mill here in Duncan!

I'm not too big a fan of Wikipedia,but they did a fairly good job of describing the history of,and whats currently going on with our Vancouver Island Railway......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Railway_of_Vancouver_Island :clap:

NQ6U
07-29-2014, 12:49 PM
What's the correct pronunciation of "Esquimalt", Gerry?

VE7DCW
07-29-2014, 01:13 PM
What's the correct pronunciation of "Esquimalt", Gerry?

" S-Kwi-malt"= Esquimalt or "Ess-qui-malt" may be a better way to write it out for pronounciation........ say it fast.It's the name of the Indian nation who populated the area around Southern Vancouver Island in the early Fort Victoria days,and who gave their names to the Naval base and the municipality of Esquimalt and the railway of course :-D

NQ6U
07-29-2014, 01:15 PM
So, pretty much as it's spelled, then, but you never know about place names. Thanks

K7SGJ
07-29-2014, 01:30 PM
So, pretty much as it's spelled, then, but you never know about place names. Thanks

Like Lemon Grove? Lee moan Grow vay

N2NH
07-29-2014, 01:44 PM
The E&N railway here on the Island is not quite dead yet.....when Rail America dumped out on it after the purchase from CP,the native Indian bands,pretty well all the municipalities, towns and even the City Of Victoria came together and formed the Island Corridor Foundation to restore the rail service including passenger service back to the line..... 2 years ago passenger service had been halted by Via rail Canada because of horrendous track conditions and they have stated that it will not return until conditions have been made safe!
The Island Corridor Foundation has acquired approximately 27 million dollars to fix trestles,replace ties etc. and announced just recently with Via Canada confirming a deal to get passenger service up and running again by April of 2015!

Limited freight service with barge ferry transfer supplied by Southern Rail of British Columbia from the mainland never ceased......but the track conditions put them edge to say the least! ........ for the moment it appears that the E&N will survive..... as I write this I can hear the 2 GP 10's supplied by Southern Rail coming down from Nanaimo blowing their air horns at road crossings not too far away from me as they haul down hopper cars of feed product to the livestock feed mill here in Duncan!

I'm not too big a fan of Wikipedia,but they did a fairly good job of describing the history of,and whats currently going on with our Vancouver Island Railway......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Railway_of_Vancouver_Island :clap:

That's great to hear. I always like to see passenger ops happening. It's becoming pretty rare in some places.

We've got the commuter rail lines to the city and AMTRAK, but also the Ulster County Railroad and the Catskill Mountain RR in the area.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2yoz4f9.jpg

NQ6U
07-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Like Lemon Grove? Lee moan Grow vay

Hah! No, I live in one of the few places in this county named in English. But there's a local highway named (I think) after an old Spanish land grant: Jamacha Road. Nobody I've ever asked has figured out how to pronounce that one without being told because it follows neither proper English nor proper Spanish rules.

(It's pronounced Ham a shaw, BTW)

VE7DCW
07-29-2014, 07:02 PM
I was out and about here in Duncan today on one of the warmest days so far this summer (31 degrees Celsius way above normal) and I had my new smart phone with me and wanted to try the camera part out...... my travel took me near the railway station on the E&N and took some pictures of the state of the tracks and stuff.......I'll try to upload here.....

Damn uploader thing definately needs some work :yuck:

N2NH
07-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Great pix. Is that RR Station still in use? Most of the ones here have been converted to other uses once the trains stop running.

One day I'll have to take a picture of the narrow gauge track I saw in Newburgh, NY. It's looks pretty old as trees are growing between the ties (sleepers).

n2ize
07-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Sorry to see that they've pretty much gotten rid of trains on your island.

When I visited Montreal back in the 60s, I used to see the CN engines at the head of trains leaving Central Station every morning. Left there myself on Amtrak in '87.

There's two lines here, the Hudson Line on the east shore of the Hudson River and the West Shore line on the opposite shore. The West Shore does most of the heavy lifting when it comes to freight service. The Hudson Line is mixed but seems to be mostly passenger service.

Yes, you are correct. The Hudson Line is primarily passenger / commuter service but still does handle freight. I live right near the Harlem Line. In fact in the winter months I can just about see the train from the front windows. The Harlem Line is basically all commuter service these days but several decades ago they also used to pull some freight. I remember a freight train used to rumble through round 1:00 am almost every weeknight. Sometimes we used to watch the long freight trains run by during the day. But I haven't seen a freighter on the Harlem Line in ages. Seems to be 100% passenger these days.

BTW from what I have been told that line that runs on the west side of the Hudson also pulls a great deal of passenger service. I used to think it was all freight but someone who lives on that side of the river told me its much like the Hudson line, mostly passenger and some freight. However, since you life further north it may be different where you are. In you area it might be mostly freight.

VE7DCW
07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Great pix. Is that RR Station still in use? Most of the ones here have been converted to other uses once the trains stop running.

One day I'll have to take a picture of the narrow gauge track I saw in Newburgh, NY. It's looks pretty old as trees are growing between the ties (sleepers).

The Duncan railway station is still used ironically to house the Cowichan Valley museum that contains a fair amount of historical artifacts,photographs etc. about historical connections with the railway and the early days of Duncan and the Cowichan Valley.
In the top photograph the red CN caboose is 79124 one of the last remaining wooden cabooses known left to be existent in Canada! And it's the only known remnant of any infrastructure left of CN's Cowichan Subdivision.....I remember this relic as a kid seeing it towed on CN trains in 1960's hauling finished lumber and cedar siding down to tidewater from Youbou to Cowichan bay.It's a wooden caboose built in the 1930's and was transported to Vancouver Island from Ontario in the late 50's
It was the only Caboose used by CN on the Island!

The Duncan station does have a dedicated VIA rail waiting room and ticket window for the passenger service,but it's been closed the last 2 or 3 years waiting for when passenger rail service gets re-instated.....

The picture of the station and the tracks running beside it are facing south towards the Malahat and on the other side the City of Victoria and Esquimalt southern terminus of the line....

The other pictures are the Queens Rd. crossing just a hundred meters north of the station and the last photo is the James St. crossing on the north boundary of Duncan, 2 kilometers from the station facing south in the direction of the station. :-D

VE7DCW
08-19-2014, 06:19 PM
We got some terrific news in our local paper about the fate of our railway I mentioned above..... Southern Rail of Vancouver Island,the company contracted to operate the E&N railway for non profit railway owners The Island Corridor Foundation,has announced that work tenders have now been issued for required track work to start this winter to allow for resumption of passenger rail service between Victoria and Nanaimo...... they indicated that service is to resume by late spring and with added track work they hope to have Nanaimo to the town of Courtenay in service by fall!

I'm hoping that they will re-open the Port Alberni subdivision from the Parksville junction....... it's been about 11 years since it was last used......... :-D

n2ize
08-19-2014, 06:25 PM
If we're going to be run out of town on a rail we need a train! <boo> It looks like somebody started a little cosmetic restoration on that engine, but he's going to need a lot more paint. I saw two items of particular interest, an antenna tower (I have three eyes, one for the chicks, one for trains, and one for antennas) and a rotting coal trestle at what was a coal company where the trucks are parked now. That you can see in the Google image from above, Transit Road ( 78 ) is immediately to the left. There was one in my home town Rahway, one of many PRR sidings in town, so I immediately recognized it. The one in the picture has wooden supports, the one I saw had concrete, but the bays are the same between those long horizontal members where the trucks pulled in to be loaded from "side dumps" on the track above. Those BTW are gondolas with chutes on the side of the bottom, others have them in the center. The CNJ had a marvel of engineering in Jersey City that turned several gons upside down at the same time dumping coal into barges. Railroad tugs towed them across the river to Manhattan when everybody burned coal and the city was a much bigger big smoke that it is now. Grey smog is dull and boring, Pissburgh's orange and yellow was pretty, almost as pretty as London's. <cough - gag - choke>

Yeah, I'm a DOM with an eye for the chicks. When I stop looking, bury me.

I am an Industrial Artist, I don't look back. I can take the sun out of the daytime and paint the sky line black

N2NH
08-20-2014, 04:15 AM
We got some terrific news in our local paper about the fate of our railway I mentioned above..... Southern Rail of Vancouver Island,the company contracted to operate the E&N railway for non profit railway owners The Island Corridor Foundation,has announced that work tenders have now been issued for required track work to start this winter to allow for resumption of passenger rail service between Victoria and Nanaimo...... they indicated that service is to resume by late spring and with added track work they hope to have Nanaimo to the town of Courtenay in service by fall!

I'm hoping that they will re-open the Port Alberni subdivision from the Parksville junction....... it's been about 11 years since it was last used......... :-D

That's good to hear. I prefer watching a train go down the line to a highway full of cars caught in a traffic jam anyday. The Hudson River line was re-opened by my old neighborhood by AMTRAK in the early 90s. It had been closed since 1968 when due to bad maintenence, a NYC U-28 pulling a freight train derailed. As long as the rails aren't pulled up, there's hope.

VE7DCW
08-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Southern Rail of Vancouver Island has said that after The VIA rail passenger service is re-instated on the Island they will concentrate on tourist train operations that was tried on the E&N several years ago like the Pacific Wilderness Railway that Ross Rowland ran for about 2 years on the E&N! :yes:

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/photos/shortline/PAW.htm

N2NH
08-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Nice engines. GP-9 and GP-10s are great. They had a ALCO C-420 as well as a FA-2 on the LIRR well into the 80s. Not quite as spiffy a paint job I'm afraid, but the LIRR paid more attention to their traction MUs than their diesels.

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12945&stc=1

K6CPO
08-21-2014, 05:11 PM
John, you might enjoy doing some rail fan stuff in San Diego. There are a shit ton of trolleys running all day and the San Diego and Imperial Valley Railroad runs freight at night along the Orange and Blue lines. I hear the locomotive here most nights between midnight and 12:30AM.

There is also the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum outside of town in Campo. That's where my avatar picture was taken...

kb2vxa
08-21-2014, 07:29 PM
"...the Pacific Wilderness Railway that Ross Rowland ran for about 2 years on the E&N!"

ROSS ROWLAND! OOhh, I knew I'd never be satisfied until I had his blood running between my fingers... So slowly I turned, step by step, step by step I crept upon him - and when I saw the streak on his countenance I grabbed him and I couldn't help myself and I was going out my mind!

That's a recurring dream every time I think of what he did, repainted my favorite steamer, C&O 614 I first met in New Hope, Pennsylvania where it was being overhauled a yukky grasshopper green thinking he'd use it on his Greenbrier Presidential Express only for it to end up rusting away in Clifton Forge, VA. You can read the story with pictures on line if you like, a bit too long for here, but I'd rather remember an old friend in her better days. Ross' too before he lost his mind letting lust for money get the better of him forgetting all about a little thing called wheel hammer.

n2ize
08-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Makes me want to get back into driving trains again.

K7SGJ
08-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Makes me want to get back into driving trains again.

At your age, you should probably stick to pulling a train.

WØTKX
08-22-2014, 04:32 PM
I miss riding on this train. Got five rides, but now, it's gone.

http://www.tikidevelopments.com/images/ski%20train%20small.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xiNDL9L6lxs/TuK3vbUdxQI/AAAAAAAACbQ/2R7Rlf3SI6A/s1600/Ski%2Btrain%2B4.JPG

n2ize
08-22-2014, 09:54 PM
At your age, you should probably stick to pulling a train.

Nah, Once driving trains is in your blood you always want to get back to it. No matter how old you get. I drove primarily electric passenger cars but I always wanted to get behind the controls of an old diesel or a steamer.

W3WN
08-23-2014, 02:33 PM
< snip >That's a recurring dream every time I think of what he did, repainted my favorite steamer, C&O 614 I first met in New Hope, Pennsylvania where it was being overhauled a yukky grasshopper green thinking he'd use it on his Greenbrier Presidential Express only for it to end up rusting away in Clifton Forge, VA.
< snip >So, you understand how heartsick I was seeing the Doodlebug rusting & rotting away over at the BR&W the other day.

The 4666 was Hugh Jenkins baby. He spent all week driving trains for the Reading -- ConRail hadn't happened yet -- and all weekend either fixing or driving the 'bug. Love of his life.

Well, that, and his favorite hooker in downtown Philadelphia.

K7SGJ
08-23-2014, 03:30 PM
So, you understand how heartsick I was seeing the Doodlebug rusting & rotting away over at the BR&W the other day.

The 4666 was Hugh Jenkins baby. He spent all week driving trains for the Reading -- ConRail hadn't happened yet -- and all weekend either fixing or driving the 'bug. Love of his life.

She pulled a train, too.

n2ize
08-25-2014, 01:05 AM
So, you understand how heartsick I was seeing the Doodlebug rusting & rotting away over at the BR&W the other day.

What about the transit museum ? They restore, display, and even run all sorts of old trains, trolleys, and buses. Esp. if they are scarce. They have commandeered many of the few old NYC subway cars that haven't been scrapped. Also trolleys and some buses.

N2NH
08-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania

The original core of our collection, since greatly expanded, is a fantastic assortment of vintage locomotives and rolling stock that the Pennsylvania Railroad assembled for the 1939-1940 New York World's Fair. The "Pennsy" had been preparing for the fair for a number of years by gathering together and refurbishing historic equipment and relics from the earlier decades of railroading.
In contrast to the contemporary PRR locomotives and cars were several examples of historic equipment, including a wooden Cumberland Valley Railroad Combination Coach originally built in 1855, six late 19th Century wooden passenger cars, and a class H3 freight steam locomotive built in 1887. Also, two full-sized replicas, one of the "John Stevens," originally built in 1825, and a replica of the "John Bull," a Camden and Amboy locomotive, originally built in 1831. Both replicas were built in Altoona in 1939/1940 to be used in the "Parade of Locomotives," a daily attraction at the fair.
After the fair ended, the Pennsylvania Railroad continued to add to the collection and stored it at an unused roundhouse in Northumberland, Pennsylvania. By 1957, the collection had grown to include a D16SB "American" type locomotive (4-4-0) built in 1905 at Juniata and an A5 (0-4-0) switcher also built at Juniata in 1917, a B6 switcher, three passenger locomotives (Classes E6, G5 and K4), an M1 dual-service locomotive, and four freight engines (Classes H6, H10, I1 and L1).The original core of our collection, since greatly expanded, is a fantastic assortment of vintage locomotives and rolling stock that the Pennsylvania Railroad assembled for the 1939-1940 New York World's Fair. The "Pennsy" had been preparing for the fair for a number of years by gathering together and refurbishing historic equipment and relics from the earlier decades of railroading. In contrast to the contemporary PRR locomotives and cars were several examples of historic equipment, including a wooden Cumberland Valley Railroad Combination Coach originally built in 1855, six late 19th Century wooden passenger cars, and a class H3 freight steam locomotive built in 1887. Also, two full-sized replicas, one of the "John Stevens," originally built in 1825, and a replica of the "John Bull," a Camden and Amboy locomotive, originally built in 1831. Both replicas were built in Altoona in 1939/1940 to be used in the "Parade of Locomotives," a daily attraction at the fair.
After the fair ended, the Pennsylvania Railroad continued to add to the collection and stored it at an unused roundhouse in Northumberland, Pennsylvania. By 1957, the collection had grown to include a D16SB "American" type locomotive (4-4-0) built in 1905 at Juniata and an A5 (0-4-0) switcher also built at Juniata in 1917, a B6 switcher, three passenger locomotives (Classes E6, G5 and K4), an M1 dual-service locomotive, and four freight engines (Classes H6, H10, I1 and L1).
- See more at: http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/roster/index.shtml#sthash.zAAiCiBq.dpuf

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania (http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/)

Across the road at the Strasburg Railroad there are vintage trains operating that you can ride on. Beginning in early October will be Oktoberfest Beer Trains:

Everyone celebrates Oktoberfest under giant tents, and, well, that’s the traditional thing to do. Lancaster County if offering up a different way to celebrate everyones favorite German beer holiday though, with an Oktoberfest Beer Train. The train ride takes you through the Lancaster countryside, while you sip on a variety of Oktoberfest beers and enjoy a similarly themed meal.
This also makes for a great chance to check out some of the many breweries in the area such as Lancaster Brewing Company, Spring House, St Boniface, and then Troegs, Pizza Boy, Liquid Hero and others just outside Lancaster County.
Here are more details on the Oktoberfest Train:

Lancaster County is rich with German heritage making Oktoberfest a natural fit. Strasburg Rail Road (http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/) is joining the celebration by brining a sampling of German food and craft beers to the railroad.
Visitors will delight in the unique experience of dining aboard the rails in Strasburg Rail Road’s vintage steam trains. The Oktoberfest Train includes a 45-minute train ride and a menu of traditional German recipes including wurst (sausages), schweinebraten (pork) and sauerkraut and hand-rolled brezen (pretzels) paired with a sampling of five seasonal, craft beers

Trains, Beer, German food? Who could ask for anything more?

Philly Beer Scene story on the Oktoberfest Train (http://www.beerscenemag.com/2014/08/oktoberfest-on-the-rails/)

W3WN
08-26-2014, 06:47 PM
What about the transit museum ? They restore, display, and even run all sorts of old trains, trolleys, and buses. Esp. if they are scarce. They have commandeered many of the few old NYC subway cars that haven't been scrapped. Also trolleys and some buses.Which one?

I don't know if a museum would be interested in the 4666, although I certainly hope so. Nor do I know if they would desire to restore it -- or if they could afford to. Nor do I know who the current owners are, what their plans are, or whether or not they're going to eventually restore it -- or leave it to rot.

Would I love to see it, running again? Positively. But how?

N2NH
08-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Which one?

I don't know if a museum would be interested in the 4666, although I certainly hope so. Nor do I know if they would desire to restore it -- or if they could afford to. Nor do I know who the current owners are, what their plans are, or whether or not they're going to eventually restore it -- or leave it to rot.

Would I love to see it, running again? Positively. But how?

Try RR Museum of PA. If it's Pennsy, they might be interested. Is that a Doodlebug?

W3WN
08-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Try RR Museum of PA. If it's Pennsy, they might be interested. Is that a Doodlebug?It sure is.

However, as I said... not knowing who the owners are, let alone what their plans are, there's really not much I can do. For all I know, the current owners might not appreciate someone telling the museum to collect their prize...

n2ize
08-26-2014, 07:10 PM
That's good to hear. I prefer watching a train go down the line to a highway full of cars caught in a traffic jam anyday. The Hudson River line was re-opened by my old neighborhood by AMTRAK in the early 90s. It had been closed since 1968 when due to bad maintenence, a NYC U-28 pulling a freight train derailed. As long as the rails aren't pulled up, there's hope.

Hmmm.... Maybe then the old Putnam Line has a chance of a come back. I think you can find traces of the old tracks that were never pulled up midst the forest that has from around them.

n2ize
08-26-2014, 09:31 PM
I was out and about here in Duncan today on one of the warmest days so far this summer (31 degrees Celsius way above normal) and I had my new smart phone with me and wanted to try the camera part out...... my travel took me near the railway station on the E&N and took some pictures of the state of the tracks and stuff.......I'll try to upload here.....

Damn uploader thing definately needs some work :yuck:

I see that's a no shoebeam railroad.

W3WN
08-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Hmmm.... Maybe then the old Putnam Line has a chance of a come back. I think you can find traces of the old tracks that were never pulled up midst the forest that has from around them.The Black River & Western bought a very small portion of the old Penn Central Bel-Del line, that went North from Trenton, paralleling the Delaware & Raritan Canal. As I recall, they couldn't work out buying the line from Trenton up to Lambertville.

The lower portion of the line has been converted to a bike trail, and will probably never see trains again.

Now, when the BR&W operated on it, they ran a small train (usually the Doodlebug) from Ringoes, or even from Flemington, into Lambertville, stopping alongside the old Lambertville PRR station. That stopped due to a combination of factors... the Doodlebug needing work, the BR&W losing a freight customer on that segment, and the failed inspection of some of the bridges on the line. (I've also been told at least one bridge burned down, but I have no confirmation of that.) All combined to take the line out of service. And without that freight customer, they have no incentive to spend a lot of money repairing or replacing the bridges.

Today, Lambertville Station is a fancy, high-end restaurant, with a wine bar and the whole touristy shebang.
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12966&stc=1
Now, right behind Little Miss Field Day was the passenger platform... now, not only a brand new deck, but clearly part of the restaurant ambiance. Can you imagine a train pulling up to this, today, and loading/unloading passengers on this platform?

Worse, what isn't clear in the picture... alongside the rails, in the right of way, are a bunch of planters, flowers, baskets... oh, it's pretty. But obviously, the owners of Lambertville Station are more concerned with looks. The first time a train comes through there again, if ever, there's going to be a lot of broken pottery.

A little further down, just past the old station, is a small footbridge that connects two parking lots on each side of the canal.
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12967&stc=1
It's a very nice little foot bridge. But it also crosses part of the right of way, so if & when, there will be some broken lumber as well.

I have a sneaky feeling that the trains won't be welcome in Lambertville any longer.

n2ize
08-27-2014, 05:36 AM
It sure is.

However, as I said... not knowing who the owners are, let alone what their plans are, there's really not much I can do. For all I know, the current owners might not appreciate someone telling the museum to collect their prize...

What I meant was is to let the museum do the legwork. If there is a good transit museum in the area that seems to take an interest in that sort of thing you ca show them a picture of it and see if they are interested. If they are interested they can send someone over to take a few pictures of it and find out who currently owns it. Then if they decide it is something they might want to add to their collection they can contact the owner and ask if they might be interested in selling it and if so at what price. Worst that could happen is that the museum isn't interested or, the owner doesn't want to sell it and either just lets it rot or eventually scraps it. The best that could happen is the museum gets it, cleans it up and restores it and preserves a piece of history.

n2ize
08-27-2014, 05:55 AM
The Black River & Western bought a very small portion of the old Penn Central Bel-Del line, that went North from Trenton, paralleling the Delaware & Raritan Canal. As I recall, they couldn't work out buying the line from Trenton up to Lambertville.

The lower portion of the line has been converted to a bike trail, and will probably never see trains again.

Now, when the BR&W operated on it, they ran a small train (usually the Doodlebug) from Ringoes, or even from Flemington, into Lambertville, stopping alongside the old Lambertville PRR station. That stopped due to a combination of factors... the Doodlebug needing work, the BR&W losing a freight customer on that segment, and the failed inspection of some of the bridges on the line. (I've also been told at least one bridge burned down, but I have no confirmation of that.) All combined to take the line out of service. And without that freight customer, they have no incentive to spend a lot of money repairing or replacing the bridges.

Today, Lambertville Station is a fancy, high-end restaurant, with a wine bar and the whole touristy shebang.
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12966&stc=1
Now, right behind Little Miss Field Day was the passenger platform... now, not only a brand new deck, but clearly part of the restaurant ambiance. Can you imagine a train pulling up to this, today, and loading/unloading passengers on this platform?

Worse, what isn't clear in the picture... alongside the rails, in the right of way, are a bunch of planters, flowers, baskets... oh, it's pretty. But obviously, the owners of Lambertville Station are more concerned with looks. The first time a train comes through there again, if ever, there's going to be a lot of broken pottery.

A little further down, just past the old station, is a small footbridge that connects two parking lots on each side of the canal.
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12967&stc=1
It's a very nice little foot bridge. But it also crosses part of the right of way, so if & when, there will be some broken lumber as well.

I have a sneaky feeling that the trains won't be welcome in Lambertville any longer.

That reminds me of the old platforms along the New York Central when i was a kid. The platforms were low and when the train pulled in you would climb up the steps to enter. Upon entering you would be greeted by an old fashioned style conductor complete with full uniform, waistcoat and gold pocketwatch on a chain who would check the time and signal the driver when everyone was "all aboard" and it was clear to pull out. They would also verbally hollar out all the stops along the way. These days its called "Metro-North" and looks more like an extension of the NYC Subway system. All platforms are elevated, train doors automated, announcements are automated, tickets are sold and scanned electronically and you won't find any conductors wearing waistcoats and carrying gold railroad pocket watches on chains. In fact the only person to wear a pocket watch on any of today's trains is probably me.

The NY central abandoned the Putnam Line in the late 1950's. I remember the tracks were still in reasonably good shape into the early 70's. Then they started to disappear as weeds and later trees grew up on and around them. In some areas the old tracks were pulled up and the right of way converted into a walking/biking trail. In other areas it's basically part of the forest and if you look in the right places and scrummage through the tall weeds and trees you may still find sections of the old trackage... rusted rails, old ties. Not far from me there is a cafe sitting next to the old Putnam right of way that was designed to look like a station that once sat along side the old Putnam division. One thing for certain. No way is the Putnam Line ever coming back.

There is an interesting colour UTube video that shows the old Putnam line in operation. The video mainly focuses on the NYC Elevated transit system (what most New Yorkers call the "El" part of the subways system), but they also have some footage of the old NY Central Putnam Division as well as railways that served Staten Island and that ran through New Jersey into PA. When i get a chance I'll dig it up and post it here. Similar to your pictures the Putnam line was never electrified as were the Hudson and Harlem lines of the NY Central. BTW Metro North still runs some diesel passenger service on the Harlem Line. In fact I have some video footage of it that I'll try and put up on You Tube soon. Years ago they ran freight and a lot of diesel passenger service since the northern end of the Harlem line was not electrified until the past decade or so. I have an old picture from the late 19th century of what my local Harlem Line station looked like back then, complete with a northbound steamer pulling in (or out). BTW it looks like Little Miss Field Day was h enjoying the day,

W3WN
08-27-2014, 10:25 AM
That reminds me of the old platforms along the New York Central when I was a kid.
< snip >Yes.

As I recall, they had a little step-stool that the "conductor" put on the platform, to help the tourists riders enter & exit the passenger compartment.

I should have mentioned that the glassed-in area of the restaurant was at one time also open platform, another reason why I have my doubts about service ever being restored there.

Now, it's possible that one day, the BR&W will get the bridges rebuilt or replaced. I suspect that they either will stop short of the old station, on the other side of SR 179 (old US 202), or go past it and stop somewhere else, maybe just past it. There's a new hotel building in behind the station, with a gorgeous view of the Delaware River (no, I didn't get a snapshot of it, that's about the time the batteries in the camera died; I had more, but they were back in the car.) So a stop between the two buildings might be beneficial to all -- at least, that's what I'd do. Not that anyone ever asked me.

< snip >
BTW it looks like Little Miss Field Day was enjoying the day,Oh yes. She had a blast. Especially once the ladies started checking out the antique shops. Fortunately, they didn't buy anything; I don't know how we would have squeezed anything else into the trunk of that Mazda. (Next time we go to the shore for a week, screw the gas mileage, I'm taking the Trailblazer. At least there'll be plenty of room for all their bags!)

K7SGJ
08-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Yes.

As I recall, they had a little step-stool that the "conductor" put on the platform, to help the tourists riders enter & exit the passenger compartment.

I should have mentioned that the glassed-in area of the restaurant was at one time also open platform, another reason why I have my doubts about service ever being restored there.

Now, it's possible that one day, the BR&W will get the bridges rebuilt or replaced. I suspect that they either will stop short of the old station, on the other side of SR 179 (old US 202), or go past it and stop somewhere else, maybe just past it. There's a new hotel building in behind the station, with a gorgeous view of the Delaware River (no, I didn't get a snapshot of it, that's about the time the batteries in the camera died; I had more, but they were back in the car.) So a stop between the two buildings might be beneficial to all -- at least, that's what I'd do. Not that anyone ever asked me.

Oh yes. She had a blast. Especially once the ladies started checking out the antique shops. Fortunately, they didn't buy anything; I don't know how we would have squeezed anything else into the trunk of that Mazda. (Next time we go to the shore for a week, screw the gas mileage, I'm taking the Trailblazer. At least there'll be plenty of room for all their bags!)

How to get more stuff home is a no brainer. They'd be half way home , (with all the stuff) and you'd still be on the platform waiting for that next train.

KG4CGC
09-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Anyone know any train jokes? How about one about a conductor?

There was once a conductor whose wife wanted him to make some more money, so she requests that he steal a penny for every dime that he makes. Paycheck comes and he steals a penny for every dime that he makes. Wife says "great! We're going to buy some new furniture!"

Well next week comes and the wife says "I want you to steal not one penny but two pennies for every dime that you make."
So his paycheck comes and he steals not one penny but two pennies for every dime that he makes. Wife says "Great! we're going to buy a new car!"
Well next week comes and the wife says "I want you to steal not one penny not two pennies but three pennies for every dime that you make."
So his paycheck comes and he steals not one penny not two pennies but three pennies for every dime that he makes. Wife says "Great! we're going to buy a new house!"
Well next week comes and the wife says "I want you to steal not one penny not two pennies not three pennies but four pennies for every dime that you make."
So his paycheck comes and he steals not one penny not two pennies not three pennies but four pennies for every dime that he makes. Wife says "Great! we're going to buy a yaught!"
Well next week comes and the wife says "I want you to steal not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies but five pennies for every dime that you make."
So his paycheck comes and he steals not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies but five pennies for every dime that he makes. Wife says "Great! we're going to buy a mansion!"
Well next week comes and the wife says "I want you to steal not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies but six pennies for every dime that you make."
So his paycheck comes and he steals not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies but six pennies for every dime that he makes. Wife says "Great! we're going to buy a jumbo jet!
Well next week comes and the wife says "I want you to steal not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies but seven pennies for every dime that you make."
So his paycheck comes and he steals not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies but seven pennies for every dime that he makes. Wife says "Great! we're going to buy a jumbo jet!
Three weeks later and the wife says "I want you to steal not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that you make."
At that point the police come and arrest him for stealing not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that he makes.
He goes before the circuit judge who asks him "You stand accused of stealing not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that you made," how do you plead?
"Innocent your honor!"
So the prosecution lawyer comes in, and asks tells the jury: "Before you stands a man who stole not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that he made. Will you let such a crime go unpunished?
The jury hand down their verdict: The man is guilty of stealing not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that he made.
The man is sentenced to the electric chair.
The man appeals his case to the state court. The prosecution lawyer comes in, and tells the jury: " before you stands a man who stole not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that he made. Will you let such a crime go unpunished?
The jury hand down their verdict: The man is guilty of stealing not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that he made.
They again uphold the electric chair.
So the man takes it to the supreme court. The head judge asks the others: " before you stands a man who stole not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that he made. Now he asks us to review his case.
The judges hand down their verdict: The man is guilty of stealing not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that he made.
They uphold the death sentence.
The man personally calls the president to ask for a pardon. The president says "So let me get this straight. you stole not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that you made, and you are asking me for a pardon? Off with you!
So the man takes his court to the UN court of human rights, as he feels that death is too harsh of a penalty. The Grand Jury review the case: a man is accused of stealing not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that he made. They find him Guilty on all charges. They believe that the death penalty is too harsh for a crime of stealing not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that one makes, but their decision is non binding.
The man is sent to death row. His cellmate asks "What are you in for buddy? I'm in for beating a man to death with a shamwow."
He answers: "I stole not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that I made"
So the man stays in death row while he is waiting to be executed. After a few years pass, the day finally comes. He is sitting in the chair. The executioner says "For you crime of stealing not one penny not two pennies not three pennies not four pennies not five pennies not six pennies not seven pennies not eight pennies not nine pennies but ten pennies for every dime that you made, I sentence you to death. "
So, the lever is pulled, 10000 volts run through the mans body and they realize that HE'S STILL ALIVE! Then they decide the electric chair will never work, since he's a conductor.

VE7DCW
09-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Wonderful news that came out today on the status to restore the E&N Railway on Vancouver Island!

http://917coastfm.com/news/major-hurdle-cleared-in-effort-to-restore-passenger-rail-service-on-vancouver-island/

The weather is supposed to pretty good for the next few days so I'm going to take some more photo's with my cell phone camera of the historic Duncan Train station and i'll post them accordingly for interest sake :-D

N2NH
09-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Wonderful news that came out today on the status to restore the E&N Railway on Vancouver Island!

http://917coastfm.com/news/major-hurdle-cleared-in-effort-to-restore-passenger-rail-service-on-vancouver-island/

The weather is supposed to pretty good for the next few days so I'm going to take some more photo's with my cell phone camera of the historic Duncan Train station and i'll post them accordingly for interest sake :-D

That's good to hear. They could always sell it from a Green point of view that it's less polluting than a bunch of cars. I think trains use less fuel than buses too. They're trying to close one of the tourist railroads here to make a bike path. They aren't even listening to those who are willing to share the right-of-way between trains and bikes. That and Hurricane Irene trashed the tracks a few years ago and they're still repairing them.

VE7DCW
04-15-2015, 02:49 PM
**BUMP**

A little update for lovers of rails everywhere on how it's officially going with the fight to save our Vancouver Island railway from extinction..........

http://www.islandrail.ca/islands-en-rail-repairs-on-hold-during-provincial-review/#comment-1669

(My comment is the only one in there at the moment and it tells it like it is!) :wtf:

K7SGJ
04-15-2015, 02:56 PM
**BUMP**

A little update for lovers of rails everywhere on how it's officially going with the fight to save our Vancouver Island railway from extinction..........

http://www.islandrail.ca/islands-en-rail-repairs-on-hold-during-provincial-review/#comment-1669

(My comment is the only one in there at the moment and it tells it like it is!) :wtf:

You're on the right track, just don't let them derail you.

VE7DCW
04-15-2015, 03:08 PM

I really think my caboose has gone off track on this! :yes:

NQ6U
04-15-2015, 03:08 PM

In the mean time, go have a highball and tie one on. It will signal a real switch for you

N8YX
04-15-2015, 04:57 PM
I was searching for info on abandoned railways in Ohio and came across a business article which delves into the reopening of many of the old Class II and Class III right-of-ways. Specifically, they're being snapped up by property management outfits then resold or leased to railroads which service the fracking industry. In the western half of PA and the eastern half of OH, that industry is booming.

Also mentioned was the bit about putting in shared bike and hike trails, typically on the railroad's dime. It's a win for all except for the anti-petroleum NIMBYs...

K4PIH
04-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Yeah the JEF's of the world!

HUGH
04-22-2015, 01:27 PM
If you're on SH395 near Bishop anytime, have a look at the nearby Law Rail Museum. Apart from anything else there's a restored Brill railcar and some old boys willing to engage you in conversation about mining, trains, etc.

K7SGJ
04-23-2015, 01:56 PM
In the mean time, go have a highball and tie one on. It will signal a real switch for you

I understand the highball (also known as chestnuts) I had that once, but don't understand about having to go to Taiwan.

HUGH
04-25-2015, 11:23 AM

W5BRM
06-07-2015, 01:39 AM
http://www.dailybulletin.com/lifestyle/20150606/big-train-show-rolls-into-ontario

Yeah so it's about model trains and not the real big ones...
I'm only a few miles away from this but no way to get there! So sad. Had one when I was a kid. Too bad I was into wrecking my toys or I'd have a cool collection by now

n2ize
06-07-2015, 03:05 AM
Looks like good targets for the "Conquestors"...