PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever work with Hardipanel?

KK4AMI
07-20-2014, 07:57 AM
My wife and I found a "Fixer-Upper" on North Carolina Waterfront. It was built in 1978 and still has the same exterior wood panelling painted over in barn red. It also needs about every window replaced because the seals on the double panes are broken and the windows are fogged up. So cutting to the chase we are looking at replacing all the major windows and residing the walls with Hardipanel (I want it to be maintenance free for my tender years (60-80). I noticed the stuff comes in 4x9 ft panels and I'm guessing it weighs a ton. I was wondering if its worth the effort?

PS- This is a Real Estate photo designed to put it in the best light. If you were in close you would see the panel damage from lawn mower hits, buckling, insects, etc.

W3WN
07-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Hardiepanel I haven't worked with, but I know it comes from the same place that Hardibacker for replacement under-flooring comes from.

It's a cement/fiberglass hybrid. Very heavy, very rugged, well worth it. Hardiepanel is the exteror siding version, for those who haven't figured it out yet.

If I were in your circumstances, I'd go for it. But that's me.

KK4AMI
07-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Hardiepanel I haven't worked with, but I know it comes from the same place that Hardibacker for replacement under-flooring comes from.

It's a cement/fiberglass hybrid. Very heavy, very rugged, well worth it. Hardiepanel is the exteror siding version, for those who haven't figured it out yet.

If I were in your circumstances, I'd go for it. But that's me.

It weighs roughly 2.5 lbs per sq ft. So I was thinking each sheet is 36 sq ft and oooh my back. Is there lighter stuff that is as durable and bug resistant? Thank you for the input.

K7SGJ
07-27-2014, 01:13 PM
It weighs roughly 2.5 lbs per sq ft. So I was thinking each sheet is 36 sg ft and oooh my back. Is there lighter stuff that is as durable and bug resistant? Thank you for the input.

Not that I know of. You could do T-111, but a sheet of 3/4 inch is pretty heavy, too. Although the rough sawn looks nice, it does require periodic maintenance. You could go vinyl or aluminum I guess, but you'd loose the rustic look. Look at it this way, if you use the good stuff now, it will last the rest of your life. When you die the guy that buys the place will thank you, and bring flowers to your grave. They'll probably be plastic flowers, but what the hey......

NQ6U
07-27-2014, 01:14 PM
They'll probably be plastic flowers, but what the hey......

Or, maybe, cement flowers.

http://temporarilylostdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/sinchon-and-ehwa-17-cement-flowers.jpg

KK4AMI
07-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Not that I know of. You could do T-111, but a sheet of 3/4 inch is pretty heavy, too. Although the rough sawn looks nice, it does require periodic maintenance. You could go vinyl or aluminum I guess, but you'd loose the rustic look. Look at it this way, if you use the good stuff now, it will last the rest of your life. When you die the guy that buys the place will thank you, and bring flowers to your grave. They'll probably be plastic flowers, but what the hey......

T-111 is what's on there now. I assume its the original since that stuff was popular in the 70s. He has it painted pretty thick, so I'm kinda wondering what still is siding, how much is paint and how many termites and bees are behind it. I guess if my wife decides its the house she wants...then its a Hardi Hi-Hoe.

WØTKX
07-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Where's the tower and the 4-square array gonna go? :chin:

N2NH
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
PS- This is a Real Estate photo designed to put it in the best light. If you were in close you would see the panel damage from lawn mower hits, buckling, insects, etc.

Photo?

kb2vxa
07-27-2014, 10:26 PM
http://www.jameshardie.com/d2w/best-practices/hardiepanel-hz5-ca-en.pdf

NA4BH
07-27-2014, 10:33 PM
We recently re-sided our house with Hardi-board (or what ever it's called. It's the cement siding stuff). It came in single run panels that were 12 feet (or so) long. Don't know the weight (other people put it up) but I don't see this place ever needing it replaced. If that's what you are talking about and plan on doing it yourself let me know. There a few tricks to putting it up.

K7SGJ
07-27-2014, 10:38 PM
We recently re-sided our house with Hardi-board (or what ever it's called. It's the cement siding stuff). It came in single run panels that were 12 feet (or so) long. Don't know the weight (other people put it up) but I don't see this place ever needing it replaced. If that's what you are talking about and plan on doing it yourself let me know. There a few tricks to putting it up.

If you were a real ham, you'd go help him and show him your tricks.

KK4AMI
07-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Where's the tower and the 4-square array gonna go? :chin:

It's only about 0.4 acre. There are pines in the front and cypress in the water. I think I can put up a dipole.

KK4AMI
07-28-2014, 06:51 AM

My BIL recommended Hardieplank but this house is a weird contemporary design that lends itself more to the vertical lines of paneling.

KK4AMI
07-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Photo? You can't see the picture?

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12796&stc=1

WØTKX
07-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Wowsers. Even in the most benign of threads, context is missed by some.

:dunno: :lol: