PDA

View Full Version : down goes me

w2amr
07-09-2014, 02:21 AM
Spent 4 hrs in the ER yesterday. I was doing about 40 mph when a woman pulled out in front of me. Rather than broadside her , I laid the Harley down. I have some pretty severe road rash on my right side and both hands. And my right shoulder is screwed up. Also have blisters on my hands , that came from the exhaust I guess. Didn't get much sleep from the pain, hope things get better today. They gave me a prescription for oxycodone, but I remember Bill's problem with that shit and said no thanks. They took the bike away on a roll back, and I didn't look at it's condition.

PA5COR
07-09-2014, 02:33 AM
Damn.... get better fast....
Hope the other party will pay the full cost of repair of the bike, first is getting you well, the rest is replacable.

Take care, there are replacements for painkillers with less bad effects though, don't play the tough guy, it will hinder your recovery if you have too much pain.

ad4mg
07-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Sorry to hear about that, George. Ask them to prescribe Tramadol (Ultram). That worked well for pain a couple of years ago for me.

WØTKX
07-09-2014, 04:26 AM
Painkillers are different for everybody, but Tramadol worked for me after my bike went invisible four years ago.

n0iu
07-09-2014, 05:31 AM
Prayers and thoughts are with you.

I know the card says get well after your operation, but its the best I could come up with on short notice!

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/hamcard1_zps4b085b4f.jpghttp://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/hamcard2_zpsf560ec16.jpghttp://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/hamcard3_zpsaf34d5e3.jpg

KK4AMI
07-09-2014, 05:38 AM
Ouch, you just lived through the bikers worst nightmare. Get better fast. Tramadol is highly recommended by my Wife and my Dog. Think happy thoughts about insurance and bike repairs. Maybe time to add that Morris magneto and a little more chrome!

KC2UGV
07-09-2014, 05:50 AM
What a horrid choice: Take the broadside hit, or lay it down... If it's any consolation, it was probably the smartest move. You thankfully avoided head injuries and numerous broken bones. Here's to a speedy recovery, replete with many painkillers.

NY4Q
07-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Dang, sorry to hear about this. I'm glad you're still here to post!

N2NH
07-09-2014, 06:05 AM
40 to Zero is quite a few G's. I've slid a few times myself but not going that fast. Get well soon George.

N2CHX
07-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Oh shit! I'm so sorry, George. That sucks. I'm gonna catch hell from other women for saying this, but I'm not surprised it was a woman. Was it a mini van? I have come to the conclusion, now that I'm on season four of riding 2.0, that women really are absolutely the worst drivers, and women in mini vans are the ABSOLUTE worst. Almost every near-accident and stupid bullshit move I've watched happen has been a female driver. Guys somehow know how to drive around a bike. Women just don't give a shit. I've actually had two women damn near run me down and smile at me while doing it. About a month ago, I had some stupid chick cut me off, then get pissed when I honked at her and she and her passenger threw shit at me out the window, then she confronted me and tried to push me off my bike! I had to head-butt her with my helmet to get her away from me!

Anyway, glad you're OK, but road rash sucks. Coulda been worse though. You made a good quick decision to just lay it down. Hope it's not damaged too badly.

Keep us posted and feel better!

K7SGJ
07-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Glad to hear you're doing well, George, it could have certainly have been a lot worse. I hope you make a full recovery quickly.

KG4CGC
07-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Damn George, really sorry to hear about this. Really really am.
Take care and get better.

W3WN
07-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Ouch.

Well, the bike can be fixed or replaced. You can't, but you will heal.

Just glad that you survived more or less intact, with nothing significant damaged or missing.

NQ6U
07-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident, George. I stopped riding years ago because of stuff like that.

XE1/N5AL
07-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Sorry about the accident, George, and I hope you get back to 100% really soon. This happened to a friend of mine, but he didn't have the chance to lay his bike down. Instead, he broadsided the car and spent the next few months in a hospital bed.

Again, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

w2amr
07-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm a hurting puppy today, but at least nothing is broken. After riding one of these things on and off for 50 years , maybe it's time to hang the helmet up . No Kelli, she wasn't driving a mini van. That really would have been insult to injury.:mrgreen:

KK4AMI
07-09-2014, 12:14 PM
After riding one of these things on and off for 50 years (Snip):mrgreen:

Ha there is the problem. To enjoy motorcycles you have to ride "on" them. It's ridin' off them that hurts.

I always heard that Harley's were the best bikes to lay on their sides and survive. A friend of mine died in Arizona when he tried to lay down a BMW. That opposing cylinder caused the bike to flip and burn on top of him.

W2NAP
07-09-2014, 12:31 PM
get well man.

KC2UGV
07-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm a hurting puppy today, but at least nothing is broken. After riding one of these things on and off for 50 years , maybe it's time to hang the helmet up . No Kelli, she wasn't driving a mini van. That really would have been insult to injury.:mrgreen:

Meh, you could be killed/injured/whatever crossing the street.

KG4CGC
07-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Usually at the hands of a woman in a minivan.

K0RGR
07-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I didn't lay it down, but I had a Honda drag me about 50 yards once, too. They have a bad habit of spreading pea gravel on the roads in San Jose in order to protect the roads. They did it one afternoon while I was at work, and when I tried to get on the Expressway on the way home, I found a foot high pile of gravel at the fast end of the on ramp. I was never fond of riding on dirt or gravel roads after that. I kept my helmet and leather jacket as souvenirs. The jacket was ripped to shreds and the helmet was cracked from font to back. I hobbled away from it, and my left knee has never forgiven me, but at least I can walk.

Get well soon.

w2amr
07-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Ha!

n2ize
07-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Spent 4 hrs in the ER yesterday. I was doing about 40 mph when a woman pulled out in front of me. Rather than broadside her , I laid the Harley down. I have some pretty severe road rash on my right side and both hands. And my right shoulder is screwed up. Also have blisters on my hands , that came from the exhaust I guess. Didn't get much sleep from the pain, hope things get better today. They gave me a prescription for oxycodone, but I remember Bill's problem with that shit and said no thanks. They took the bike away on a roll back, and I didn't look at it's condition.

The oxycodone is pretty safe if you use it only for a short time. It can become problematic if you take too much of it for too long and/or when you are not in pain. But if its only for a week or two I wouldn't be too worried. I've used it occasionally for tooth pain after dental surgery.

Otherwise I am sorry to hear about what happened. Hopefully things will heal quickly and you won;t be uncomfortable for too long. I also hope the bike can be restored.

w2amr
07-09-2014, 04:28 PM
The oxycodone is pretty safe if you use it only for a short time. It can become problematic if you take too much of it for too long and/or when you are not in pain. But if its only for a week or two I wouldn't be too worried. I've used it occasionally for tooth pain after dental surgery.

Otherwise I am sorry to hear about what happened. Hopefully things will heal quickly and you won;t be uncomfortable for too long. I also hope the bike can be restored.Yep. after saying I wouldn't , the pain got so bad I popped an Oxy. So far it has taken the edge off. Got the bike back from impound this afternoon. It looks a lot better than I do.

N2CHX
07-09-2014, 04:48 PM

True story!

KG4CGC
07-09-2014, 06:42 PM
True story!

AMEN! AWOMAN TOO! Gotta be equal, you know.
-Robin Williams stand up circa 1981.

suddenseer
07-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Damn George! What are going to do for an encore? I am glad that you are still with us.

KG4CGC
07-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Damn George! What are going to do for an encore? I am glad that you are still with us.

Nothing, I hope. It was a one time performance.

n2ize
07-09-2014, 11:02 PM

Or struck by lightening. I came pretty close to getting hit during a severe storm many years ago. When my folks got home later that evening they said I was acting strange. Like I was tired and dazed as if I was there physically but my mind was someplace else. The next day was back to my normal self. Guess some of those excess electrons had to discharge from my head overnight... :)

KG4CGC
07-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Or struck by lightening. I came pretty close to getting hit during a severe storm many years ago. When my folks got home later that evening they said I was acting strange. Like I was tired and dazed as if I was there physically but my mind was someplace else. The next day was back to my normal self. Guess some of those excess electrons had to discharge from my head overnight... :)

Quaaludes. Tuinal.

NA4BH
07-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Quaaludes. Tuinal.

Amyl Nitrate

NQ6U
07-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Or struck by lightening. I came pretty close to getting hit during a severe storm many years ago.

I got hit by a meteor once. Bounced right off my head and broke a mirror. I've had bad luck ever since.

NA4BH
07-09-2014, 11:23 PM
True story

KG4CGC
07-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Amyl Nitrate

No no no no no. Not even in the same family.

W7XF
07-10-2014, 03:13 AM
Amyl Nitrate

THC. :yes:

W5BRM
07-10-2014, 10:25 AM
I thought about riding a bike a few times then I saw this YT channel...lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse/videos

Some scary stuff there.

He sets up on Mulholland Highway in 6 land and records the chaos

NQ6U
07-10-2014, 10:30 AM
I thought about riding a bike a few times then I saw this YT channel...lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse/videos

Some scary stuff there.

He sets up on Mulholland Highway in 6 land and records the chaos

Mulholland Drive has been an attraction for street racers of all stripes for many years.

W5BRM
07-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Mulholland Drive has been an attraction for street racers of all stripes for many years.

Yup

A collection of lane crossers and driving fails recorded on Mulholland Hwy over the last 6 Months.
Mulholland Highway in Los Angeles has been a popular riding area for motorcycles & fast cars for decades. Car and motorcycle clubs are regular visitors every weekend. Jay Leno can often be found at the famous Rockstore and at a view point called Lookout talking with fellow motor enthusiasts. Crashes are common as well as a heavy police presence on most weekends. The Snake is a two mile section of Mulholland above the Rockstore. Riders usually will make multiple runs allowing me to move from corner to corner when assembling rider videos. The speed limit is 45 mph, most riders are not going much over that so the majority of tickets are crossing the line, wheelies or equipment violations. Bicycles are up here all the time but motorcycles and bikes seem to do fine together as long as the cyclists are willing to stay to the right. Cars passing them are a bigger problem since there is no shoulder and most turns are blind.
I mainly shoot on the last corner coming up because I can see much of the road and photogs are expected. The turn gets it's fair share of crashes but people crash other places also just no one is filming. The top corner I shoot seem to average one crash every couple weeks in the summer, out of many hundreds of riders. 911 emergency services are rarely called and accidents are seldom reported since most riders do not get injured severely. Google Street View - http://goo.gl/wsMi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBg9vmKbz0

KG4CGC
07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
We have a few mountain roads like that here and in Western North Carolina. The most popular one in Robbinsville is called the Tail of the Dragon. It's over 318 curves in an 11 mile stretch.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
On the internet people are told in bold face that if they can't stay in their own lane to stay the hell at home.
http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=the+tail+of+the+dragon&oq=the+tail+of+the+&gs_l=hp.1.0.0l10.1137.3981.0.7282.17.15.0.1.1.0.34 1.1886.0j9j1j1.11.0....0...1c.1.48.hp..6.11.1553.0 .eWLA7Ua4T_8

W3WN
07-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Yup

A collection of lane crossers and driving fails recorded on Mulholland Hwy over the last 6 Months.
Mulholland Highway in Los Angeles has been a popular riding area for motorcycles & fast cars for decades. Car and motorcycle clubs are regular visitors every weekend. Jay Leno can often be found at the famous Rockstore and at a view point called Lookout talking with fellow motor enthusiasts. Crashes are common as well as a heavy police presence on most weekends. The Snake is a two mile section of Mulholland above the Rockstore. Riders usually will make multiple runs allowing me to move from corner to corner when assembling rider videos. The speed limit is 45 mph, most riders are not going much over that so the majority of tickets are crossing the line, wheelies or equipment violations. Bicycles are up here all the time but motorcycles and bikes seem to do fine together as long as the cyclists are willing to stay to the right. Cars passing them are a bigger problem since there is no shoulder and most turns are blind.
I mainly shoot on the last corner coming up because I can see much of the road and photogs are expected. The turn gets it's fair share of crashes but people crash other places also just no one is filming. The top corner I shoot seem to average one crash every couple weeks in the summer, out of many hundreds of riders. 911 emergency services are rarely called and accidents are seldom reported since most riders do not get injured severely. Google Street View - http://goo.gl/wsMi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBg9vmKbz0
Whoa.

A couple of comments...
1. I'm sure glad my company doesn't do much Personal Lines insurance in CA.
2. Some of the people taking pictures are as nutz as the drivers.
3. But thanks for the warm-up. Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix starts this weekend, with "modern" sports/race cars at PittRace (formerly BeaveRun), and "vintage" vehicles in Schenley Park next weekend.

I'll be at Corner 18, as usual.

I've seen a lot of "incidents" like those shown in the video, but at least when it happens on the track (city streets turned into a closed course), the only people in danger are the nutz behind the wheel, and us nutz on the corners. You don't have to worry about some schmuck losing control while heading up the S curve and taking you out...

PA5COR
07-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Funny, just saw a Discovery piece about the most dangerous roads in the world, Tail of the Dragon was there in it too.
;)
Talk about coincidences...

WX7P
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM
I hope you have a good convalescence, George.
Hope the bike isn't banged up.

Rambler to be a driver as soon as I find a radiator!

KG4CGC
07-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Funny, just saw a Discovery piece about the most dangerous roads in the world, Tail of the Dragon was there in it too.
;)
Yep. Main problem is people trying to run it as fast as possible, in seasonal tourist traffic AND crossing into the other lane to make turns. A lot of blind curves. People are told NOT to cross lanes. That and speed are how the idiots kill themselves and others.

w2amr
07-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I hope you have a good convalescence, George.
Hope the bike isn't banged up.

Rambler to be a driver as soon as I find a radiator!
I got the bike from impound yesterday. Other than the damage to the front fender, it should be a fairly easy fix. Handlebars, headlight shell, front master cylinder, mirror, both floorboards, both exhaust pipes, rear brake pedal, right turn signal lights. The paint on the tanks and rear fender are fine. I should be seeing a claims adjuster within the next couple of days.
Go Rambler!

W5BRM
07-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Glad to hear you didnt get seriously hurt to need a hospital stay. Less painful to repair a bike then a person.

W7XF
07-10-2014, 06:50 PM
<snip>Rambler to be a driver as soon as I find a radiator!<snip>

Why buy a

when you want the Rambler to be a

N8YX
07-13-2014, 07:44 AM
I have a headlight assembly for that bike. A new takeoff from a buddy's Fat Boy years ago. Let me know if you're interested, and I hope you're doing better

w2amr
07-13-2014, 08:57 AM
I have a headlight assembly for that bike. A new takeoff from a buddy's Fat Boy years ago. Let me know if you're interested, and I hope you're doing betterOK Fred, thanks. We are still waiting for the accident report. Hopefully the insurance company will have it taken to a Harley dealership and have them handle all the repairs. Wonder what they will do about the $2000 paint job.

XE1/N5AL
07-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Wonder what they will do about the $2000 paint job.

Don't worry, we have you covered...

n2ize
07-13-2014, 03:53 PM
;)

Just don't go chasing the dragon... :hahano:

NQ6U
07-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Just don't go chasing the dragon... :hahano:

How about kicking the gong?

n2ize
07-13-2014, 04:15 PM
How about kicking the gong?

Hi De Hi De Hi De Hi... Hi De Hi De Hi De Ho...

K7SGJ
07-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Who you calling a ho, bitch.

w2amr
07-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Here's the skid mark. Looks to get wider as the bike is going down.

N8YX
07-14-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm glad you're still with us.

KK4AMI
07-14-2014, 07:34 AM
I'm glad you're still with us.

Well at least half of him is still here. I hope you get your "pound of flesh" out of the idiot that turned in front of you.

w2amr
07-14-2014, 08:44 AM
I'm glad you're still with us.Me too Fred.

w2amr
07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Well at least half of him is still here. I hope you get your "pound of flesh" out of the idiot that turned in front of you.Still waiting for the accident report , then we can get he wheels turning.

KK4AMI
07-14-2014, 09:11 AM
Hearing about your accident reminds me of when I bought my first bike. My Mother was so horrified that I would crash that she bought me this 100 lb leather jacket from Sears. It had silver studs all over it, she said the Fonz wears one like it and I should to. It was pretty embarrassing. It smelled like dead cow, the leather was so thick, I think it could have stopped bullets. The arms were so stiff that I could hardly bend my arms. Needless to say, I bought a Brooks brothers in San Francisco during a business trip. Now that leather was supple and I could still bend my arm enough to pick my nose!

N2ADV
07-14-2014, 10:02 AM
God damn cagers. Didn't read the whole thread (will go back when I have time) but hope the lady in question got cited.

w2amr
07-14-2014, 11:56 AM
God damn cagers. Didn't read the whole thread (will go back when I have time) but hope the lady in question got cited.Just got the accident report. She got a ticket for careless driving.:clap:

w2amr
07-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Hearing about your accident reminds me of when I bought my first bike. My Mother was so horrified that I would crash that she bought me this 100 lb leather jacket from Sears. It had silver studs all over it, she said the Fonz wears one like it and I should to. It was pretty embarrassing. It smelled like dead cow, the leather was so thick, I think it could have stopped bullets. The arms were so stiff that I could hardly bend my arms. Needless to say, I bought a Brooks brothers in San Francisco during a business trip. Now that leather was supple and I could still bend my arm enough to pick my nose! When riding I used to wear heavy jeans, gloves, boots and jacket. But over the years I guess I got complacent. Complacent sure can be painful.:ugh:

NQ6U
07-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Just got the accident report. She got a ticket for careless driving.:clap:

That's good, but I would have felt better about it if they'd thrown in a swift kick in the ass for good measure.

N2CHX
07-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Just got the accident report. She got a ticket for careless driving.:clap:

Well, that's a start. So what happens from here?

w2amr
07-14-2014, 12:49 PM
That's good, but I would have felt better about it if they'd thrown in a swift kick in the ass for good measure.And I would be happy to volunteer my time in order to provide that service.

w2amr
07-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Well, that's a start. So what happens from here?
Get the police report to Geico I guess.

n2ize
07-14-2014, 01:19 PM

George, how are you feeling. Is your pain subsiding ? Sometimes healing can take some time. I hope you are feeling better.

N2CHX
07-14-2014, 01:26 PM

I hope they're better to you than they have been to Dan. He got t-boned in November and they've jerked him around quite a bit.

w2amr
07-14-2014, 03:25 PM
George, how are you feeling. Is your pain subsiding ? Sometimes healing can take some time. I hope you are feeling better.Considering everything John , ok I guess. It's murder when we clean and redress the wounds every day. I was bitching to Kath about how slow the healing process is. She told me to shut up and go look at the pictures from the hospital. Only took 2 oxy's so far and I have been sleeping pretty well.
I go to the wound doctors on Wednesday to have them check me out. It took 6 days to get an appointment. There must lots of motorcyclist in South Jersey. :mrgreen:

w2amr
07-14-2014, 03:27 PM
I hope they're better to you than they have been to Dan. He got t-boned in November and they've jerked him around quite a bit.They have been great so far, but so far it's just talk. If they screw with me ,I will hunt down that little green fuck.

WX7P
07-14-2014, 03:41 PM
When riding I used to wear heavy jeans, gloves, boots and jacket. But over the years I guess I got complacent. Complacent sure can be painful.:ugh:

At least you have cats. They probably like the extra big warm pillow.

WØTKX
07-14-2014, 03:43 PM
I hired a lawyer. It was a good idea, but it took over a year for the (low) six figure settlement.

Luckily, I have excellent short and long term disability available from work. I had an underinsured/no inured rider on my policy.

The "perp" got reckless driving, 3 years suspended, and an added $5k, which is paid out to me at $100 per month.

I have Geico too, the lizard took care of me OK.

w2amr
07-14-2014, 04:46 PM
At least you have cats. They probably like the extra big warm pillow.I know they like having me around all day to serve them.

KC2KFC
07-14-2014, 04:47 PM
I hope you heal soon. I've only dumped a bike once and fortunately I wasn't going as fast as you were. I wouldn't give up riding quite so soon. Perhaps there's a trike in your future.

w2amr
07-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I hired a lawyer. It was a good idea, but it took over a year for the (low) six figure settlement.

Luckily, I have excellent short and long term disability available from work. I had an underinsured/no inured rider on my policy.

The "perp" got reckless driving, 3 years suspended, and an added $5k, which is paid out to me at $100 per month.

I have Geico too, the lizard took care of me OK.
No amount of money can make up for what you went through.

KG4CGC
07-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Glad to hear that you're in better spirits today, George. Keep us updated please.

I got a bee in my bonnet today. Stung me right on the throat, adams apple. At least that was 3 minutes before I got home.

KK4AMI
07-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear that you're in better spirits today, George. Keep us updated please.

I got a bee in my bonnet today. Stung me right on the throat, adams apple. At least that was 3 minutes before I got home.

Now you are reminding me of all the reasons I sold my 81 Sturgis and quit bikes. While riding up and down I-70 (without a helmet) I've been whacked in the face with bees, cicada and tweety birds. I had a swollen jaw for a week with that damn bird doing 70 mph, err was I doing 70 mph.

KG4CGC
07-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Now you are reminding me of all the reasons I sold my 81 Sturgis and quit bikes. While riding up and down I-70 (without a helmet) I've been whacked in the face with bees, cicada and tweety birds. I had a swollen jaw for a week with that damn bird doing 70 mph, err was I doing 70 mph.

I was wearing a helmet. It hit my right hand first and took a trajectory up and to the left. Nailed my throat right in the center of the adams apple.

w2amr
07-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Geico had the Harley taken to the local dealer for repairs today. Also got a subpoena to testify on behalf of the state, in the case of the state vs the stupid fuckin twit who pulled in front of me. I'll be happy to.:yes:

WX7P
07-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Geico had the Harley taken to the local dealer for repairs today. Also got a subpoena to testify on behalf of the state, in the case of the state vs the stupid fuckin twit who pulled in front of me. I'll be happy to.:yes:

Sounds like she's pleading not guilty...

w2amr
07-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Sounds like she's pleading not guilty...Could be . There are several eye witnesses who said that she caused the accident, including the guy driving behind her. They received subpoenas as well.

n2ize
07-15-2014, 09:55 PM
I was wearing a helmet. It hit my right hand first and took a trajectory up and to the left. Nailed my throat right in the center of the adams apple.
e
Let's face it folks. Riding bikes is dangerous. If not crazy careless drivers then the birds and the bees.

W3WN
07-16-2014, 07:39 AM
Geico had the Harley taken to the local dealer for repairs today. Also got a subpoena to testify on behalf of the state, in the case of the state vs the stupid fuckin twit who pulled in front of me. I'll be happy to.:yes:Sounds like she's pleading not guilty...Not necessarily. I think they have to file the charges first, and then dimbulb decides whether or not to contest them.

Where there witnesses? Never mind, I didn't see the next post until I turned the page.

Good. Let's hope that the dimbulb decides to fall on her sword, so to speak, and own up to her being at fault...

[what am I saying? this is amerika, nobody admits to being at fault]

When the boss got her fender-bender a few years back, she neglected to call the police for an official police report. If she'd called me when it happened, I would have told her to do that, but... so even though there were witnesses, there was no official "record" of them. When the girl who hit her changed her story, our insurance adjuster (Erie Insurance) told us that the official record said "no fault."

The boss was incensed, but it was explained to us that without a police report and no witnesses, it came down to she-said/she-said. "No fault" didn't mean that they didn't believe her, just that they couldn't prove the other person was at fault since there were no witnesses or official documentation.

At least we didn't have to pay out on the deductible. The other driver was also insured by Erie, and I was told (off the record) that this wasn't the first time, so SHE had her rates go way up. Us? First automobile-related claim in over 20 years, our rates didn't go up a dime; in fact, they went DOWN the next year. Go figure.

w2amr
07-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Now you are reminding me of all the reasons I sold my 81 Sturgis and quit bikes. While riding up and down I-70 (without a helmet) I've been whacked in the face with bees, cicada and tweety birds. I had a swollen jaw for a week with that damn bird doing 70 mph, err was I doing 70 mph.The Harley has a detachable windshield that goes on when it's cold. The Honda has a windshield that is part of the front fairing, and stays on all the time . Windshields do a great job of deflecting flying critters away from your face.

W7XF
07-17-2014, 04:45 AM
The Harley has a detachable windshield that goes on when it's cold. The Honda has a windshield that is part of the front fairing, and stays on all the time . Windshields do a great job of deflecting flying critters away from your face.

Except Arizona's kamikaze doves (experience speaking here).

N2CHX
07-17-2014, 06:51 AM
e
Let's face it folks. Riding bikes is dangerous. If not crazy careless drivers then the birds and the bees.

Nah. Careless drivers, yes. But wear proper gear and you could drive through a swarm of bees and barely notice. I wear a full face helmet, leather gloves, a leather jacket and leather chaps. I've been hit in the face shield by rocks and other than the sound it made, didn't bother me. I see a lot of people riding with half helmets though, and quite frankly I think they're insane.

N2ADV
07-17-2014, 07:06 AM
e
I took a bird to the helmet on the way to work yesterday at 50 mph or so and my head still hurts from the strike (I think that little shit was moving super-sonic and aimed for me). In the case of large dog vs SIDI riding boots, however, it's boots: 1, dog: 0. Freaking dog... yesterday was a bad day.

Edit: I ride ATGATT - full face helmet, full gear (it was warm yesterday so it was Joe Rocket Alter Ego stuff).

N8YX
07-17-2014, 01:35 PM
I took a cicada to the face at speed while on a Gold Wing several years back. Little bastard went around the fairing, under my helmet's face shield - then BLAMMO, right to the cheek!

w2amr
07-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Dennis helping with the healing.

KG4CGC
07-19-2014, 03:25 PM
GO DENNIS!

N2CHX
07-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Awwwww! Dennis is adorable!

NQ6U
07-19-2014, 04:37 PM
I don't know how it looks to other but on my computer, the fine lines of Dennis's whiskers interact with the raster image to create a really cool Moiré pattern.

N2CHX
07-19-2014, 05:10 PM
I don't know how it looks to other but on my computer, the fine lines of Dennis's whiskers interact with the raster image to create a really cool Moiré pattern.

Yes, I see that on my monitor as well.

WØTKX
07-19-2014, 05:16 PM
They have the same facial expression, and similar whiskers. :lol:

w2amr
07-19-2014, 05:27 PM
They have the same facial expression, and similar whiskers. :lol:
Ha!:mrgreen:

w2amr
07-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Toots helps too.

w2amr
07-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Awwwww! Dennis is adorable!You have a cat that looks like him, don't you?

WX7P
07-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Dennis helping with the healing.

You touch my peep, and I SLASH!

w2amr
07-19-2014, 05:54 PM
You touch my peep, and I SLASH!Nah, he's a pretty mellow dude.

N2CHX
07-19-2014, 05:57 PM
You have a cat that looks like him, don't you?

Yes, Pixel looks very similar. I love tiger cats.

KG4CGC
07-19-2014, 07:19 PM
GO TOOTS!

w2amr
07-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Go Kath! She's the one who has to deal with all of this every day. I don't know what I would do without her.

KK4AMI
07-20-2014, 05:06 AM
Go Kath! She's the one who has to deal with all of this every day. I don't know what I would do without her.

I'll assume Kath is your "better half" and like the rest of us you probably didn't know what to do without her before the accident. ;)

I'm enjoying meeting the family. Ahh, so in all fairness where is the picture of Kath sitting in your lap? :lol:

w2amr
07-20-2014, 06:52 AM
I'll assume Kath is your "better half" and like the rest of us you probably didn't know what to do without her before the accident. ;)Right on both counts.

w2amr
07-20-2014, 06:55 AM
I'm enjoying meeting the family. Ahh, so in all fairness where is the picture of Kath sitting in your lap? :lol:You're gonna have to give me some time to work on that one.:mrgreen:

w2amr
07-22-2014, 05:09 PM
The estimate to repair the bike is $4.800. Including $350 for a new primed front fender, and $800 to paint it to match the rest of the bike.

N2CHX
07-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Wow. I could buy three Ninja's for that :p

KK4AMI
07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
The estimate to repair the bike is $4.800. Including $350 for a new primed front fender, and $800 to paint it to match the rest of the bike.

Are you going to do any of that yourself? It could be great therapy! Excuse to buy tools!

w2amr
07-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Wow. I could buy three Ninja's for that :pYou could also buy a nice Sportster for that.

w2amr
07-23-2014, 03:21 AM
Are you going to do any of that yourself? It could be great therapy! Excuse to buy tools!
I'm not touching it. Let the twit who caused this mess be responsible for everything. Besides, I already have plenty of tools.:mrgreen:

w2amr
07-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Holy shit, they are saying the bike is only worth about 4 grand and they might total it. I had a feeling I was going to get screwed on this deal.

KK4AMI
07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Holy shit, they are saying the bike is only worth about 4 grand and they might total it. I had a feeling I was going to get screwed on this deal.

Are they going to let you keep the bike or haul it away after they total it? If they let you keep it or buy it back cheap then you might have to fix it yourself. That is rotten. Have they priced Harley's lately?

N8YX
07-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Are they going to let you keep the bike or haul it away after they total it? If they let you keep it or buy it back cheap then you might have to fix it yourself. That is rotten. Have they priced Harley's lately?
Buy the carcass back, George. I have the headlight you need and probably a few other usable (new) parts beside.

I'll be going to a couple of swap meets in the area and know pretty much for certain that I'll find a fender for your bike. In fact, there was a complete, custom-painted set (front, rear, tank) at Mid-Ohio a couple weekends ago for $375.

w2amr
07-23-2014, 02:49 PM
I just checked NADA. The average retail is 6 grand, low retail is $4590. That low ball, 4 grand figure is wholesale for Christ sake. Anyway, The adjuster is negotiating with the dealer now. If the bike is totaled, the dealer isn't going to make any money. It will be to their advantage to lower the estimate figure so that they can fix the bike. That $4800 estimate was probably way high, and they can lower it. Let's see how it plays out.

w2amr
07-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Good news, I talked to the adjuster this morning, and The bike will be repaired. The Book value of the bike is around 6 grand, and the dealer estimate was dropped to about $3800.

N2CHX
07-24-2014, 09:19 AM
You could also buy a nice Sportster for that.

I like having dual redundant backups :mrgreen:

w2amr
07-24-2014, 10:21 AM
I like having dual redundant backups :mrgreen:Absolutely.

w2amr
07-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Every time I limp into the garage, I swear I hear my 750 Honda with the crash bars laughing at me.

N2ADV
07-24-2014, 06:47 PM
I took a cicada to the face at speed while on a Gold Wing several years back. Little bastard went around the fairing, under my helmet's face shield - then BLAMMO, right to the cheek!
Those little shits are sneaky.

I was going to ride to work this morning. Got all my gear on, wheeled the bike out, threw my leg over, turned the key, and thumbed the starter.... Click. F**k. Try again. Click. Lights dimmed, injectors sound like a sick cat. Battery was dead. It was only sitting for 3 days. Time for another new battery. Last one lasted 9 years. This one? 10 months. Wasn't an el cheapo, either. Same brand as the one that came with the bike.

N8YX
07-26-2014, 08:15 PM
What does your bike have in the way of electronics with memory keep alive circuits? Both of my Valkyries incorporate back-up memory features for their OEM radios and this draws about 10ma with the key off. Over the course of a few weeks they'll drain their batteries to the point there isn't enough voltage to fire the plug circuitry when cranking.

PA5COR
07-27-2014, 03:01 AM
Battery's here have a mandatory 2 year full warranty, so see if you can swap it free for a new one ;)

w2amr
07-27-2014, 03:14 AM
What does your bike have in the way of electronics with memory keep alive circuits? Both of my Valkyries incorporate back-up memory features for their OEM radios and this draws about 10ma with the key off. Over the course of a few weeks they'll drain their batteries to the point there isn't enough voltage to fire the plug circuitry when cranking.That's why God made float chargers.

KK4AMI
07-27-2014, 05:38 AM
That is why the "Bike God" made magnetos and kick starters!

N8YX
07-27-2014, 08:05 AM
That's why God made float chargers.
I have one for each bike on standby. During the summer I'll use them to top up the Valkyrie batteries. When winter rolls around and the Valkyries are stored, the chargers stay on both Concours 14s for the duration.

N8YX
07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
That is why the "Bike God" made magnetos and kick starters!
That doesn't work with a computerized, EFI equipped motorcycle which will actually get you to your destination.

KK4AMI
07-27-2014, 09:25 AM
That doesn't work with a computerized, EFI equipped motorcycle which will actually get you to your destination.

Will it if your battery is dead or you just experienced an X Class Solar flare? :lol:

N8YX
07-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Will it if your battery is dead or you just experienced an X Class Solar flare? :lol:
Battery dead - swap for another.

X-class flare - not enough cross section/capture area in the wiring harness to induce a pulse capable of blowing the bike's electronics. Even less of an issue if it's parked inside a steel-sided pole building. Think 'Faraday cage'. ;)

I'll gladly trade that set of caveats for ultimate engine and driveline reliability, having spent far too much time of the years screwing around with the Prince of Darkness' creations, leaking primaries, head and base gaskets...faulty magnetos...points ignitions which eat points faster than the average hamfest attendee eats Cheetos...etc.

KK4AMI
07-27-2014, 01:09 PM

X-class flare - not enough cross section/capture area in the wiring harness to induce a pulse capable of blowing the bike's electronics. Even less of an issue if it's parked inside a steel-sided pole building. Think 'Faraday cage'. ;)

I'll gladly trade that set of caveats for ultimate engine and driveline reliability, having spent far too much time of the years screwing around with the Prince of Darkness' creations, leaking primaries, head and base gaskets...faulty magnetos...points ignitions which eat points faster than the average hamfest attendee eats Cheetos...etc.

The last bike I had was an FXB with Morris Magneto in 1989. So I have no point of comparison as far as fuel injection, etcetera! However, there are times when I pull out the trusty John Deere lawn tractor in the spring, with its 15HP Kawasaki V twin, that I wish it had a magneto and a kick start.:irked:

w2amr
07-27-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm healing pretty well. Went to the wound doc last Thursday and he said I probably won't need skin grafts. The wounds on my right forearm and foot are still open, but getting smaller each day. The muscle in my right thigh and shoulder still hurt like hell, might have to follow up on them if things don't improve. Kath and I go see a lawyer on Monday night. We aren't looking to get rich , but we do want fair compensation for all of this. Hell, we have spent over $300 in medical supplies so far.

KK4AMI
07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm healing pretty well. Went to the wound doc last Thursday and he said I probably won't need skin grafts. The wounds on my right forearm and foot are still open, but getting smaller each day. The muscle in my right thigh and shoulder still hurt like hell, might have to follow up on them if things don't improve. Kath and I go see a lawyer on Monday night. We aren't looking to get rich , but we do want fair compensation for all of this. Hell, we have spent over $300 in medical supplies so far.

Just $300? Doctor's bills and what not. Even your medical insurance company might want their money back!

PS - Watch what you write on here. It could come back to haunt you.

w2amr
07-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Just $300? Doctor's bills and what not. Even your medical insurance company might want their money back!

PS - Watch what you write on here. It could come back to haunt you.
No, $300 just for bandages, gauze , tape, and Silvadene cream.

K7SGJ
07-27-2014, 06:18 PM
No, $300 just for bandages, gauze , tape, and Silvadene cream.

And Pot, don't forget the pot.

w2amr
07-28-2014, 10:08 AM
And Pot, don't forget the pot.Never touch the stuff.

WØTKX
07-28-2014, 11:02 AM
From George Carlin:

"Bashful doesn't need any drugs, he's paranoid on his own".

:monkeydance:

N2ADV
07-28-2014, 11:21 AM
What does your bike have in the way of electronics with memory keep alive circuits? Both of my Valkyries incorporate back-up memory features for their OEM radios and this draws about 10ma with the key off. Over the course of a few weeks they'll drain their batteries to the point there isn't enough voltage to fire the plug circuitry when cranking.It has the normal stuff to keep the clock current and such. The old battery would be able to sit for months with no issue.

Battery's here have a mandatory 2 year full warranty, so see if you can swap it free for a new one ;)

I'll check that out.

N2CHX
07-29-2014, 06:38 AM

I will never, ever, ever own a hog. Those things are like cats, actually. You don't own them, they own you.

w2amr
07-29-2014, 12:29 PM
I will never, ever, ever own a hog. Those things are like cats, actually. You don't own them, they own you.
It will be returned to it's former glory. Me on the other hand............

K7SGJ
07-29-2014, 01:40 PM
It will be returned to it's former glory. Me on the other hand............

You young guys heal quickly, and any physical scars are a badge of honor. Now get your bike parts off my fucking lawn. :stickpoke:

N2NH
07-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Anything worthwhile takes time. Healing too. But I find the phantom pain lingers awhile. Maybe it's the iron in the mountains here, but I can feel toothaches in teeth I haven't had for years.

w2amr
07-29-2014, 02:08 PM
You young guys heal quickly, and any physical scars are a badge of honor. Now get your bike parts off my fucking lawn. :stickpoke:Somebody will also be along for the body parts directly. I told Kath I've lost 3 lbs. She said it's ground into crown point road.

n2ize
07-31-2014, 12:33 AM

I like the old bikes. I would own one if I lived in a very rural area with roads that have little or no traffic. I am very wary about driving a bike down here though. Roads are way too crowded and there are too many inconsiderate crazies on the roads. That is the main reason I never got a motorcycle.

w2amr
07-31-2014, 03:13 AM
I like the old bikes. I would own one if I lived in a very rural area with roads that have little or no traffic. I am very wary about driving a bike down here though. Roads are way too crowded and there are too many inconsiderate crazies on the roads. That is the main reason I never got a motorcycle.My neighbor has been riding dirt bikes off road for many years. Yet, he never got a motorcycle license and says he would never drive a bike on the street. Just too dangerous

WØTKX
08-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Bump...

I hope this is not "too soon". :evil:

Advanced meat recovery (AMR) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_meat_recovery)

In the United States, USDA regulations stipulate that AMR machinery cannot grind, crush, or pulverize bones to remove edible meat tissue, and bones must emerge intact. The meat produced in this manner can contain no more than 150(±30) milligrams of calcium per 200 grams product, as calcium in such high concentrations in the product would be indicative of bone being mixed with the meat. Products that exceed the calcium content limit must instead be labeled "mechanically separated beef or pork" in the ingredients statement.

NQ6U
08-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Bump...

Advanced meat recovery (AMR) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_meat_recovery)

The regulations don't mention the use of asphalt pavement as a means of removing meat tissue.

w2amr
08-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Bump...

:lol: It's never TOO soon.

n2ize
08-18-2014, 01:38 AM
My neighbor has been riding dirt bikes off road for many years. Yet, he never got a motorcycle license and says he would never drive a bike on the street. Just too dangerous

I don't blame your neighbor. I feel the same way. I have no problem with riding on 2 wheels and I trust myself. But i don;t trust the person in the car or SUV in front of, behind, or next to me. I would prefer to ride off road also. Probably when I move up north I'll be doing a lot of snowmobiling (aka snow machines).

NQ6U
08-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Probably when I move up north I'll be doing a lot of snowmobiling (aka snow machines).

"When John the Eskimo gets here, everybody's gonna run to him."

n2ize
08-18-2014, 11:34 AM
"When John the Eskimo gets here, everybody's gonna run to him."

Come on without... Come on within.

NQ6U
08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Come on without... Come on within.

"You ain't seen nothin' like the mighty Quinn John."

WØTKX
08-18-2014, 11:57 AM
I rode dirt bikes only for about 7 years, but I missed street riding.

Now, I'm thinking about a smallish "adventure bike".

Oh, wait, the mortgage. :doh:

Never mind. :(

w2amr
08-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Went to the orthopedic doc today for the pain in my right shoulder.He gave me an exam and said that he didn't see any problems in the X-ray. Then he gave me a shot of cortisone and said to come back in three weeks. Within 15 minutes most of the pain was gone. Wonderful thing medicine.

N2NH
08-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Went to the orthopedic doc today for the pain in my right shoulder.He gave me an exam and said that he didn't see any problems in the X-ray. Then he gave me a shot of cortisone and said to come back in three weeks. Within 15 minutes most of the pain was gone. Wonderful thing medicine.

So how are you making out otherwise George? Shoulder pain sounds like a bit of inflammation but if that's the biggest problem I imagine you're doing alright.

(Saw your pic on QRZ - how did you ever get away with putting all those knobs on their site?) :lol:

w2amr
08-19-2014, 06:54 AM
So how are you making out otherwise George? Shoulder pain sounds like a bit of inflammation but if that's the biggest problem I imagine you're doing alright.

(Saw your pic on QRZ - how did you ever get away with putting all those knobs on their site?) :lol:Doing pretty well John. Still have some scabs on my forearm , foot, and side. The cortisone shot in my shoulder really helped. The swelling in my leg has gone down, and I'm shooting for the first week in Sept for return to work. They still have my bike at the Harley shop, I don't know when that will be finished.
I'm gone, but I left a few knobs over there to remember me by.:mrgreen:

w2amr
08-25-2014, 03:20 AM
Well, I took the 750 Honda out for a short ride yesterday . It seems that I haven't been overly traumatized by the accident. But, I'm in no hurry to drive in traffic again either. The first time I encounter a woman driving an SUV, and holding a cell phone, I might just park the bike on the side of the road and walk home.:shock:

KK4AMI
08-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Sure, show no fear! George, GEORGE are you in there?

K7SGJ
08-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Well, I took the 750 Honda out for a short ride yesterday . It seems that I haven't been overly traumatized by the accident. But, I'm in no hurry to drive in traffic again either. The first time I encounter a woman driving an SUV, and holding a cell phone, I might just park the bike on the side of the road and walk home.:shock:

You better buy some comfy shoes.

w2amr
08-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Sure, show no fear! George, GEORGE are you in there?Yep, Safety first.

w2amr
08-25-2014, 11:18 AM
You better buy some comfy shoes. I won't have to walk very far.

N2NH
08-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Then again, sometimes one never knows what they'll find out there on the road...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MwQqKBAOjp8/Tg6LEQXURzI/AAAAAAAAAdg/yNnKprGwAeo/s1600/motorcycle.jpg

K7SGJ
08-25-2014, 11:30 AM
I won't have to walk very far.

Maybe not far, but often.

N2CHX
08-25-2014, 12:01 PM
I won't have to walk very far.

I hear you on that. Caught two this morning. Last week one of our local cops almost ran a red while my BF and I were on our walk, because... Yeah you guessed it-- he was yakking on a cellphone.

w2amr
08-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Maybe not far, but often.Might as well stay home.:mrgreen:

w2amr
08-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Then again, sometimes one never knows what they'll find out there on the road...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MwQqKBAOjp8/Tg6LEQXURzI/AAAAAAAAAdg/yNnKprGwAeo/s1600/motorcycle.jpg
Dayum!

KG4CGC
08-25-2014, 07:48 PM

The Boss Hoss. Made right up the road from here. Dumbest. Bike. Ever.

K7SGJ
08-25-2014, 08:22 PM
The Boss Hoss. Made right up the road from here. Dumbest. Bike. Ever.

Go tell HER that.

KG4CGC
08-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Go tell HER that.

Think I wouldn't? Choad.

w2amr
08-26-2014, 03:15 AM
The Boss Hoss. Made right up the road from here. Dumbest. Bike. Ever.I kinda like the boss hoss V-8 trike with the 57 Chevy inspired ass end. http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/general-harley-davidson-chat/286389d1356043760-cool-bikes-and-cool-cars-08_57.sold.jpg

KG4CGC
08-26-2014, 08:46 AM
At least that has a TRUNK!

w2amr
08-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Think I wouldn't? Choad.She would stuff you into the gas tank.

KG4CGC
08-26-2014, 12:06 PM
She would stuff you into the gas tank.

Doubtful. She's just a paid, er, um, model?

KK4AMI
08-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Oh Gawd No Ma'am! I said I didn't like that big ugly "Bike!"