PDA

View Full Version : Why Triumph at K1MAN decisions ?

W1IT
07-05-2014, 11:12 AM
We've been hearing a lot about Glen Baxter. What I believe, we as amateur operators have NOT perceived what has actually happened here.
Now, this will inflame many of you, but did you know a Nanny ARRL or worse FCC who have their own private agendas does not benefit our hobby, because its stuck in a time warp of about 1965 and is sinking slowly into the depths of historical arcane old fart facts nobody cares about.

Yes, maybe Glen is eccentric, but it was people like him who in 1961, amused me as I listened to their lunacy on 75 meter am Ol Stanley comes to mind, W1TJX, poor Stanley everybody could hear him, but he never could quite copy anybody. Until he met the mailman from Brattleboro Vt, W1SIO.

I can say I was sad. because I knew crazy Stanley now had a rag chew buddy he could hear and would not keep up the CQ that took a half hour and annoyed everyone.

You see people nothing grows without conflict, nothing grows when its regulated too much because when it is, the very fresh blood, creative people you want to attract find open alternatives. No where today is that as true with web internet just placing video, information and communications of all kinds in the hand of everyone. Ever wonder why Face Book became a multibillion dollar industry. So when you crucify your apparent crazy fringes and put them to death, you also condemn yourself to being old, stale and irrelevant.

WX7P
07-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Blah blah blah whatever. There's nothing original about Baxter. just another attention whore

N2NH
07-05-2014, 11:23 AM
So when does the AT&T person and the Verizon person start having a fight on Main Street to have the rights to cellphone towers in my town? Oh, right, they'll probably merge first. Funny you should mention Facebook. See Facebook makes all it's revenue selling information about you, the same way Google and Yahoo make all their money too. Better yet, are you a Facebook user? Then you're a Lab Rat to them. Nothing more, nothing less. Wanna see a fight? Watch when they're in court trying not to pay the fine for this one.

Calling all Lab Rats, Facebook needs more to experiment with. <--- LINK (http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/facebook-manipulates-emotions-business-usual-social-media-giant-n144811)

N2NH
07-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Blah blah blah whatever

Oh NOES! HE done show'd us Lib'tards!! He's got the BOLD goin'!

http://th47.photobucket.com/albums/f162/baritonobasso/th_Onoz-omg_animated.gif

KC2UGV
07-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Only a moron would be sad at Glen's license being revoked.

It took too long to accomplish, and that's the only thing I'm sad about.

W3WN
07-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Only a moron would be sad at Glen's license being revoked.

It took too long to accomplish, and that's the only thing I'm sad about.Agreed. Because it's a shame about what happened to him.

Not about his license being revoked. About his loss of his marbles before, that eventually led to it.

One should never gloat about the mentally unbalanced damaging themselves like this. (Well, with one or two exceptions, but this isn't about certain former bar residents)

W1IT
07-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Blah blah blah whatever. There's nothing original about Baxter. just another attention whore

But, obviously there was. Isn't that what got him attention. Its challenging the norms against the odds bring technical, social progress.
Because, first Amateur radio is a HOBBY, and not even a scientific one at that. Why not explore some new grounds. Your insulting remarks show me how sad you really are and you fit right in with the HR main streams.

W1IT
07-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Actually " loose marbles" have been the conservative retort against front runners in every field for centuries. W6OBB correctly channeled his loose ones and is a millionaire several times over because of it.

VE7MGF
07-05-2014, 12:37 PM
gary are you a special buddy of glen?

KG4CGC
07-05-2014, 01:07 PM
IT, you joined in January of this year but have you read enough to know us or know Janet well enough to make that comment?

W2NAP
07-05-2014, 01:07 PM
well, this is going to END well...

WX7P
07-05-2014, 02:02 PM
But, obviously there was. Isn't that what got him attention. Its challenging the norms against the odds bring technical, social progress.
Because, first Amateur radio is a HOBBY, and not even a scientific one at that. Why not explore some new grounds. Your insulting remarks show me how sad you really are and you fit right in with the HR main streams.

yawn. you're just another variant of the Ayj er WBJ school of contrary just for the hell of it just to get a reaction. we've caught this act before.

as as for baxter, some people have either nothing better to do than bitch about him or building their own "look at me" empire crusading against him.

Your act is old and boring, station. go find a 2 meter repeater. Somewhere and be a crusader with some naive newbies...

W3WN
07-05-2014, 02:08 PM
We've been hearing a lot about Glen Baxter. What I believe, we as amateur operators have NOT perceived what has actually happened here.
Now, this will inflame many of you, but did you know a Nanny ARRL or worse FCC who have their own private agendas does not benefit our hobby, because its stuck in a time warp of about 1965 and is sinking slowly into the depths of historical arcane old fart facts nobody cares about.
< snip >
Actually " loose marbles" have been the conservative retort against front runners in every field for centuries. W6OBB correctly channeled his loose ones and is a millionaire several times over because of it.
OK. Time to cut to the chase.

Clearly, sir, you have come here for an argument. Clearly you feel that the actions taken against Mr. Baxter are unwarranted, if not unfair and/or unjust as well. Clearly you hope by this argument to convince some of us to join your call for action to get him reinstated.

Fine. Well, I'll see who's free at the moment.
Mr. DeBakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory. Ahh yes, Try Mr. Barnard; room 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjCqjzbvJY

ad4mg
07-05-2014, 02:40 PM
You see people nothing grows without conflict, nothing grows when its regulated too much because when it is, the very fresh blood, creative people you want to attract find open alternatives.e and irrelevant.

I think the members here are being fresh and creative and helping you grow with conflict.

That is why you're here, correct? You'll get what you wish, but it will be short lived.

Carry on.

N2NH
07-05-2014, 04:02 PM
I think the members here are being fresh and creative and helping you grow with conflict.

That is why you're here, correct? You'll get what you wish, but it will be short lived.

Carry on.

But Luke, the problem these days is that these cast-aways aren't up to the creeping mold that they used to be before that Black guy moved into their White House, took their guns away and enslaved them. We've been down any road they care to point to so often that, honestly, we're getting jaded. They're easier than a hooker at an RNC convention.

What I guess I'm trying to say is they're just not challenging anymore. He needs to go back to the minors and work on his knuckler. It's just too predictable right now.

Just a thought, but since Mr. I. Wanna Groe is trying to be a git, maybe this should be moved to the "controversial" area. Just a thought.

N8GAV
07-05-2014, 04:07 PM
To be honest, I've not seen ANYTHING about Baxter on here for a looooooong time. Didn't know anyone here really cared one way or the other about him.

N2NH
07-05-2014, 04:09 PM
To be honest, I've not seen ANYTHING about Baxter on here for a looooooong time. Didn't know anyone here really cared one way or the other about him.

Oh great! Now you went and spoiled his day.

ad4mg
07-05-2014, 04:10 PM

There's a somewhat comical discussion about Baxter's license renewal rejection here: https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/27922-Step-Right-Up!-K1MAN-is-available

Seems rather tame to me.

WØTKX
07-05-2014, 04:17 PM
:lol:

FWIW, Art Bell doesn't belong on that list, just because he explores the aberrations of others. And attracted negative attention for same.

Mr. Baxter is no Tesla it seems, and even the great conjurer of swirling fields had issues, which got worse in his later years.
Creativity from a different "difference engine" between the ears can be useful, but may not accurately model reality. :doh:

Issac Newton was a closet alchemist. And a lot of "great minds" flamed out with perpetual motion machines.
Maxwell holds up to scrutiny, for the most part. The EH antenna does not. The Pogue carburetor was bullshit.

As the Tralfamadorians from the universe of Kurt Vonnegut (an amusing creative mind in fiction) say... "And so it goes".

W1IT
07-05-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm an advocate to personal liberty and wonder why after 100 years, same old tired rules apply to HR. Years back when FCC said Ok, CB ers, just to your thing, nothing really much happened, except CB grew bigger. And, those who splattered over onto other frequencies were the subject of FCC enforcements, as they should have been. Today HR, an old old man's pass time while CB remains vibrant and active. Nobody has self destructed and FCC saved millions by deregulation of CB!

W1IT
07-05-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm sort of wondering, if Art Bell would have interviewed K1MAN. He has so rather "wild" theories. Now, if K1MAN wrote a book about these crazy eccentric ideas, he would probably get a publisher. I don't really know. Glen pushed the envelope and he fought the " Sheriff" = FCC and maybe lost. It was an empty battle if you ask me.

WX7P
07-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Bot bot who's got the bot

W7XF
07-05-2014, 05:50 PM
W1IT...deja vu? Here we go again xD

N2NH
07-05-2014, 06:11 PM
This is beginning to sound awfully familiar... see the rest of you at the bottom of Alpha-Hotel.

WØTKX
07-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Ohhh, 'IT for 'TAT on '.313/.275, Possums, Little Peoples Net, and ESSB Thumpers.

Yeee Haw! Or wait, these days it's Live Action! No insult to "The Turtle Man".

Gary, you've stumbled upon a diverse group of (for the most part) skeptical thinkers.

Go QRM the Liberty Net. Or scream on the air like 'OGL, 'cause it's so unfair.

Or something. :lol:

W2NAP
07-05-2014, 06:16 PM
So who got da popcorn.

Also if K1MAN was so smart... you think he would have at least had GOOD AUDIO during his broadcast.....

WØTKX
07-05-2014, 06:17 PM
No shit! :rofl:

W2NAP
07-05-2014, 06:20 PM
No shit! :rofl:

shit man, I have heard CB'ers with D104's set to 10, mic gain 10. echo 10. sound better then K1MAN's station.

N2NH
07-05-2014, 06:35 PM
http://i62.tinypic.com/24ox3kn.gif

W1IT
07-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Diverse thinkers? Can you tell me why the majority of bores, red necks and just plain old men are always on HR and always can be predicted to have the same red neck opinions on any subject. Like attracts Like so if I'm the ACE in the deck .. so...

KJ3N
07-05-2014, 06:49 PM
:sleep: :sleep:

Somebody wake me when we get to something original...

:sleep: :sleep:

N7YA
07-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Ill go ahead and prepare the boat for you Luke. It make take a few weeks...maybe not...

N7YA
07-05-2014, 06:55 PM

NA4BH
07-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Diverse thinkers? Can you tell me why the majority of bores, red necks and just plain old men are always on HR and always can be predicted to have the same red neck opinions on any subject. Like attracts Like so if I'm the ACE in the deck .. so...

So which category do you fit into ACE? Bore, Redneck, or Just Old?

KJ3N
07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
So which category do you fit into ACE? Bore, Redneck, or Just Old?

More like Not Very Original.

NQ6U
07-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Can you tell me why the majority of bores, red necks and just plain old men are always on HR and always can be predicted to have the same red neck opinions on any subject. Like attracts Like so if I'm the ACE in the deck .. so...

Sounds suspiciously like Burt K1OIK, doesn't it?

NM5TF
07-05-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm an advocate to personal liberty and wonder why after 100 years, same old tired rules apply to HR. Years back when FCC said Ok, CB ers, just to your thing, nothing really much happened, except CB grew bigger. And, those who splattered over onto other frequencies were the subject of FCC enforcements, as they should have been. Today HR, an old old man's pass time while CB remains vibrant and active. Nobody has self destructed and FCC saved millions by deregulation of CB!

soooooooooo.....if you are so fucking anti-HR, why do you have a callsign...if you really do...

go back to 11 Meters where you belong....or better yet, go back to the swamp & Phred's bed....asswipe

KC2UGV
07-05-2014, 09:40 PM
So who got da popcorn.

Also if K1MAN was so smart... you think he would have at least had GOOD AUDIO during his broadcast.....

From the little I could hear of his broadcasts, he had less knowledge of audio processing chains, antenna gain, and transmitter design than I have. And, that's saying quite a bit.

W3WN
07-05-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm an advocate to personal liberty and wonder why after 100 years, same old tired rules apply to HR. Years back when FCC said Ok, CB ers, just to your thing, nothing really much happened, except CB grew bigger. And, those who splattered over onto other frequencies were the subject of FCC enforcements, as they should have been. Today HR, an old old man's pass time while CB remains vibrant and active. Nobody has self destructed and FCC saved millions by deregulation of CB!Translation: How dare the FCC enforce the rules.

You want Room 12A, just along the corridor.

W3WN
07-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Diverse thinkers? Can you tell me why the majority of bores, red necks and just plain old men are always on HR and always can be predicted to have the same red neck opinions on any subject. Like attracts Like so if I'm the ACE in the deck .. so...And now the insults.

Gary: You want the room next door. It's "Being Hit On The Head" lessons in here.

Someone pass the extra butter. :popcorn:

W2NAP
07-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Someone pass the extra butter. :popcorn:

I thought it was "pass da extra buddah.

VE7DCW
07-06-2014, 01:42 AM

You're beginning to sound a lot more like VE7KFM with his "fucktards from stupid land" kind of station instead of being so much of an K1MAN apologist! ......... I call them as I see them..... sorry i've had experience with the same Mr.Kooky....please feel free to defend yourself on what i've said..... :snicker:

N7YA
07-06-2014, 04:24 AM
Well..he's gone. I guess he got the validation he wanted.

suddenseer
07-06-2014, 07:31 AM
To be honest, I've not seen ANYTHING about Baxter on here for a looooooong time. Didn't know anyone here really cared one way or the other about him.This, who with a life, REALLY gives a shit?

kb2crk
07-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Who is K1MAN and what does it matter to me?
Oh wait, I don't give a spit........

KK4AMI
07-06-2014, 08:47 AM
I never heard K1MAN on the radio. I do recognise that every organization has various personalities, some that will clash with other personalities. When I had a job I let many personalities cause me ulcers. Since I retired, I have no ulcers. I won't allow any hobby I have to cause me ulcers. I also avoid things like clubs, organizations and churches because there is always some "personality" trying to control and lead the other personalties. I guess if Ham Radio goes that way I'll just do WSPRnet, it seems pretty difficult to cause conflict there.

W1IT
07-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Translation: How dare the FCC enforce the rules.

You want Room 12A, just along the corridor.

No, you miss the point. READ a bit deeper OLD MAN! I said, amateur radio is NOT vibrant, not diverse, not young, a bore and sinking into the swamp. Now, clarification : Would you change a law, deregulate it or just crash heads to scare the little monkeys? The FCC needs to Deregulate HR same as they did CB and let the castle be rebuilt or self destruct. The ARRL has vested interest in keeping HR in a time warp circ 1965, I'd say. Why do YOU people never use vox and just jabber on like a old women in a demented phone conversation with her dead husband!

N2NH
07-06-2014, 10:12 AM
http://i58.tinypic.com/10cln2c.gif

N2CHX
07-06-2014, 10:15 AM

New grounds? Like low power, horrid audio quality shortwave broadcasts of right-wing propaganda in the amateur radio band? That's not new ground. Religious broadcasters have been doing it for decades.

K7SGJ
07-06-2014, 10:27 AM
No, you miss the point. READ a bit deeper OLD MAN! I said, amateur radio is NOT vibrant, not diverse, not young, a bore and sinking into the swamp. Now, clarification : Would you change a law, deregulate it or just crash heads to scare the little monkeys? The FCC needs to Deregulate HR same as they did CB and let the castle be rebuilt or self destruct. The ARRL has vested interest in keeping HR in a time warp circ 1965, I'd say. Why do YOU people never use vox and just jabber on like a old women in a demented phone conversation with her dead husband!

So, what exactly do you suggest? Deregulate what and how? Just let anyone use the ham bands? Eliminate licensing altogether, or just issue one to anyone who applies? (It's pretty much that way now for anyone with half a memory) Run any emission anywhere? Let people like baxter and his ilk continue to do their thing? Let ham radio morph into what 11 meters has become. Have a list of accepted topics for ham radio operation? Revoke licenses of anyone over 50?

Be specific. What has you so pissed off and what is your idea of perfect ham radio? You come in here pissing and moaning, (trolling) post your views of what is wrong with ham radio, and yet you offer no concrete and specific resolutions. You are just like all these morons that run down the country, or anything else that chaps their ass, and yet offer nothing or participate in any way to effect an improvement.

Bitch on McDuff.

W1IT
07-06-2014, 10:54 AM
New grounds? Like low power, horrid audio quality shortwave broadcasts of right-wing propaganda in the amateur radio band? That's not new ground. Religious broadcasters have been doing it for decades.

Isn't this what I've said. Its apparently people who just want to say a lot of words about nothing. Example, in the US you have not needed to give your call anymore frequently than ten minutes (even this a dumb old requirement, IMHO). Yet we hear a quarter to a third of contact time just MOUTHING, repeating call signs? This is progress? Recall the FCC deregulated that with log books over 40 years ago!

W1IT
07-06-2014, 10:59 AM
So, what exactly do you suggest? Deregulate what and how? Just let anyone use the ham bands? Eliminate licensing altogether, or just issue one to anyone who applies? (It's pretty much that way now for anyone with half a memory) Run any emission anywhere? Let people like baxter and his ilk continue to do their thing? Let ham radio morph into what 11 meters has become. Have a list of accepted topics for ham radio operation? Revoke licenses of anyone over 50?

Be specific. What has you so pissed off and what is your idea of perfect ham radio? You come in here pissing and moaning, (trolling) post your views of what is wrong with ham radio, and yet you offer no concrete and specific resolutions. You are just like all these morons that run down the country, or anything else that chaps their ass, and yet offer nothing or participate in any way to effect an improvement.

Bitch on McDuff.

Well, you could allow music, what is big deal there? Idiotic restriction just carried over for years. I'd keep the broadcast definition as FCC says, transmissions intended for the general public. Because you would get a lot of K1MAN 24/7 transmissions. But how about allowing a broadcast for 30 minutes a day?
N8AD does that on 7.255, granted he doesn't play DJ ( well, yes in a way he does) , without music. This crazy senseless howdy doody time show of stations coming on nets just to wave and say Hi.. I mean is this a Peggy Lee would, " all there is "

W1IT
07-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Carry that one to its logical conclusion, " Why would anyone with a life get a HR license and give a SHIT about the entire hobby?"

NQ6U
07-06-2014, 11:09 AM
If you want to broadcast music, get licensed for a LPFM station. That is not the purpose of the amateur radio service. Amateur radio is "a voluntary, non-commercial, radio communications service [which] allows licensed operators to improve their communications and technical skills, while providing the nation with a pool of trained radio operators and technicians who can provide essential communications during emergencies." Emphasis mine.

Being licensed gives us privileges that the unlicensed services don't have because we have (allegedly at least) demonstrated a higher level of technical competency. You can't legally build your own 11m rig and take it on the air.

As far as nets go, they once served a purpose but I'd tend to agree with you that they're are now largely pointless.

K7SGJ
07-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Well, you could allow music, what is big deal there? Idiotic restriction just carried over for years. I'd keep the broadcast definition as FCC says, transmissions intended for the general public. Because you would get a lot of K1MAN 24/7 transmissions. But how about allowing a broadcast for 30 minutes a day?
N8AD does that on 7.255, granted he doesn't play DJ ( well, yes in a way he does) , without music. This crazy senseless howdy doody time show of stations coming on nets just to wave and say Hi.. I mean is this a Peggy Lee would, " all there is "

Okay, so now you are playing music on the ham bands. Who is paying the ASCAP and BMI fees? No one? If you were a singer or song writer that depended on that for a living, I'm sure you would feel a little differently. You want to play DJ? Take it to the internet. There is plenty of room. However, with all the existing music sources available, I doubt you could do anything unique. I suppose the next thing you would want to do is run a few commercials for the local hardware store or grocery?

You do realize that the FCC in it's infinite wisdom, has created radio services to serve just about any need. Commercial AM/FM/TV, CB HR, PS...........et al.

Obviously, you haven't thought the music idea out very well. What other revelations do you have for the "new use" of HR? Maybe playing movies on ATV?

K7SGJ
07-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Carry that one to its logical conclusion, " Why would anyone with a life get a HR license and give a SHIT about the entire hobby?"

You are the only one that has mentioned anything about giving a shit about the entire hobby. That is the beauty, in my opinion, about it.......take out of it what interests you. Experimenting, transmitters, receivers, antenna, modifications, TV, digital, building, repair, DX, contests, satcom, EMCOMM, ragchew, nets, and so it goes. No one is twisting your dick to participate in any facet. If you can't find something in the hobby that interests you, why did you get licensed?

Or, is your view that ham radio should be what YOU want it to be? Let's prohibit nets, because YOU find them obsolete. Let's allow music because that's what YOU want. Let's prohibit "jabber" because it irritates YOU.

What else should be allowed or prohibited in your perfect AR world?

ad4mg
07-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Carry this to its logical conclusion, "Why would anyone with a life give a SHIT about your mindless ramblings?" We get one like you (agenda trolls) just about once a year.

If you hate amateur radio, hate it somewhere else. This is an amateur radio forum.

KC2UGV
07-06-2014, 12:24 PM

Why don't you just use CB then, instead of ham bands?

N2CHX
07-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Why don't you just use CB then, instead of ham bands?

Bingo! Or start a movement like the Prometheus Radio Project did for LPFM and petition the FCC to start a low power SWBC band that ISN'T within the amateur bands. There's plenty of spectrum out there.

I don't understand this idiot and wanting to change HR into a free-for-all broadcast band. Radio broadcasting is on its way out anyway, and shortwave broadcasters led the decline, with AM and FM following closely behind. What ham radio needs is more creative ways to network digitally over the HF bands. The LAST thing HR needs is a bunch of self-serving lunatics like Glenn Baxter taking up spectrum within the ham bands with their bullshit propaganda broadcasts.

N2CHX
07-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Isn't this what I've said. Its apparently people who just want to say a lot of words about nothing. Example, in the US you have not needed to give your call anymore frequently than ten minutes (even this a dumb old requirement, IMHO). Yet we hear a quarter to a third of contact time just MOUTHING, repeating call signs? This is progress? Recall the FCC deregulated that with log books over 40 years ago!

Bad troll. Bad. Not even a cute troll. Just bad.

W3WN
07-06-2014, 01:06 PM
I thought it was "pass da extra buddah.
Actually, right now, I'm hoping it's Raise The Jolly Rodger.

W1IT
07-06-2014, 01:41 PM
If you want to broadcast music, get licensed for a LPFM station. That is not the purpose of the amateur radio service. Amateur radio is "a voluntary, non-commercial, radio communications service [which] allows licensed operators to improve their communications and technical skills, while providing the nation with a pool of trained radio operators and technicians who can provide essential communications during emergencies." Emphasis mine.

Being licensed gives us privileges that the unlicensed services don't have because we have (allegedly at least) demonstrated a higher level of technical competency. You can't legally build your own 11m rig and take it on the air.

As far as nets go, they once served a purpose but I'd tend to agree with you that they're are now largely pointless.

Oh, boy are you full of it. Have you taken the new Technician 35 question test? Tsk, I have, 100 percent without having the exact easy answers provided to me. May I ask how old farts pretending to pass radiograms (traffic) or jabber about their last wart the doctor removed, improving the art of radio. I suppose you'll next say HR invented the cell phone. Hahahah

W1IT
07-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Okay, so now you are playing music on the ham bands. Who is paying the ASCAP and BMI fees? No one? If you were a singer or song writer that depended on that for a living, I'm sure you would feel a little differently. You want to play DJ? Take it to the internet. There is plenty of room. However, with all the existing music sources available, I doubt you could do anything unique. I suppose the next thing you would want to do is run a few commercials for the local hardware store or grocery?

You do realize that the FCC in it's infinite wisdom, has created radio services to serve just about any need. Commercial AM/FM/TV, CB HR, PS...........et al.

Obviously, you haven't thought the music idea out very well. What other revelations do you have for the "new use" of HR? Maybe playing movies on ATV?

I think you are sleep walking buddy, " The FCC in its infinite wisdom".. Oh, well No, you don't get broadcast even with LPFM because organizations have taken all the channels. They don't need give YOU any time on THEIR station.

KC2UGV
07-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Oh, boy are you full of it. Have you taken the new Technician 35 question test? Tsk, I have, 100 percent without having the exact easy answers provided to me. May I ask how old farts pretending to pass radiograms (traffic) or jabber about their last wart the doctor removed, improving the art of radio. I suppose you'll next say HR invented the cell phone. Hahahah

So, bro, do you even radio?

XE1/N5AL
07-06-2014, 02:02 PM

I think that deregulating ham radio would only serve to create a mess, which is how I have viewed the CB bands since their deregulation. Sure, there are many good operators on CB, but there are just too many idiots, as well. Besides, as Amateur Radio is a part of globally coordinated effort, I'm not sure that the FCC can unilaterally decide to throw in the towel on amateur radio regulation and just ignore its international brothers. Here, there is still a Morse code requirement to get a ham license ...although it is only 7 WPM for Class II, and 10 WPM for Class I.

Looking at your blog (goofyradio.blogspot.com), it seems that you have gotten really "burned-out" on ham radio -- or at least the aspects of the hobby in which you currently participate. It happens. Maybe it's time to step away from the microphone and find a new hobby: something that is new, exciting and gives you plenty of room to learn and experience.

n2ize
07-06-2014, 02:07 PM

There are many people exploring new grounds. And many things that are an inspiration for newcomers. My inspiration came back in the early 1970's. I was a CB'er and a SWL. MY SWL receiver was kind of primitive, it was a homebrew regenerative type receiver and was not very good at picking up SSB. So, my inspiration to get into ham radio cam from listening to the AM'ers on 75 and 40 meters. Most of them were located in New England, i was very impressed with the fidelity on their signals and I learned a lot by listening to their technical discussions.I decided that I not only wanted to become a ham but an AM'er as well. However, that didn't materialize intil the mid to late 1980's when I finally got my license. A few days later I happened to stumble across an old Johnson Viking 2 transmitter and I immediately went to work setting up an antenna and fixing up the Viking 2 and opening up the audio chain for a higher quality high fidelity type of sound. Within months I was a regular on 75 and 40 AM with a hi fi signal, audio processing, asymetrical peak limiting, etc. I also started working CW, SSB, and VHF/UHF FM as well.

I didn't see how K1MAN was any kind of inspiration for me or anyone. He routinely interrupted ongoing QSO's, never listened to see if the frequency was in use before keying up his transmitter. he was constantly threatening legal action against other hams, he felt he owned the frequencies he broadcast on and had exclusive rights to those frequencies. He abused Walter Cronkite's hospitality, he used his station for commercial gains in violation of the rules,. he frequently transmitted hours of "dead air" with no identification, he was self righteous, egotistical, indignant, lacked common courtesy, broke numerous rules,etc. I could go on but we all know why people took issue with him.... I fail to see what good he brought to the table. There are plenty of good inspirations out there but K1MAN was certainly not one of them.

K7SGJ
07-06-2014, 02:11 PM
I think you are sleep walking buddy, " The FCC in its infinite wisdom".. Oh, well No, you don't get broadcast even with LPFM because organizations have taken all the channels. They don't need give YOU any time on THEIR station.

First off, let's get something straight. You are no buddy of mine.

And as far as your wanting to broadcast music, you haven't addressed the ASCAP/BMI issue. I am guessing you would just fuck them out of their rightful income from their intellectual property? I guess you wouldn't give a shit if your intellectual property were stolen, right? Assuming you have any intellectual property, of course. Why is your need to broadcast music on HR so important to you? Shirley you can find other ways to impress others and feed your ego.

NQ6U
07-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Oh, man, so many logical fallacies in such a short post! Let us count: strawman, ad hominem attack, circular reasoning, false analogy and division just to start. You're going to have to do better than that if you want me to continue any dialog with you.

n2ize
07-06-2014, 02:22 PM

So, are you without a life since you have a ham license and apparently do give a shit about what goes on there ? If you really want to do something useful and really innovative then why not get your doctorate in some relevant subject and work as an academic researcher. They are really on the frontier of science and technology.

Ham radio is a hobby. It is regulated so that we can maintain some sense of order without it degrading into total chaos. Different people enjoy it for different reasons. Some like to build things and experiment with a wide range of technologies. others prefer to chase DX and work contests. Some simply like to ragchew and chew the fat with friends and acquiescence they have known for years. Some prefer to focus on emergency preparedness. Some operate frequently and others hardly at all. There is a niche for almost everyone out there. I fail to see what great innovation there really is in making one way broadcasts and/or broadcasting music. Broadcasting is quite ancient and dates back to the 1920's and earlier. If you really find that ham radio is not far enough out on the forefront or research for your liking or has nothing to offer you then perhaps you should consider dropping out of it and putting your efforts into something more advanced and productive, such as research. I have friends who do research at places like MIT who are on the outermost frontier of new ideas that may eventually revolutionize technology as we know it today and make everything we see as high tech today primitive. Why not focus on something like that as opposed to a hobby radio service ?

K7SGJ
07-06-2014, 02:26 PM
So, are you without a life since you have a ham license and apparently do give a shit about what goes on there ? If you really want to do something useful and really innovative then why not get your doctorate in some relevant subject and work as an academic researcher. They are really on the frontier of science and technology.

Ham radio is a hobby. It is regulated so that we can maintain some sense of order without it degrading into total chaos. Different people enjoy it for different reasons. Some like to build things and experiment with a wide range of technologies. others prefer to chase DX and work contests. Some simply like to ragchew and chew the fat with friends and acquiescence they have known for years. Some prefer to focus on emergency preparedness. Some operate frequently and others hardly at all. There is a niche for almost everyone out there. I fail to see what great innovation there really is in making one way broadcasts and/or broadcasting music. Broadcasting is quite ancient and dates back to the 1920's and earlier. If you really find that ham radio is not far enough out on the forefront or research for your liking or has nothing to offer you then perhaps you should consider dropping out of it and putting your efforts into something more advanced and productive, such as research. I have friends who do research at places like MIT who are on the outermost frontier of new ideas that may eventually revolutionize technology as we know it today and make everything we see as high tech today primitive. Why not focus on something like that as opposed to a hobby radio service ?

It is easier for him to bitch, than put any effort or work into change.

W1IT
07-06-2014, 02:27 PM
You are correct about the " burn out" yes.. and new hobbies. I have two and maybe another after I sell out the HR gear. But, that said, for all of you "left behind", I don't think any of my observations are based on personal burnout, may being a truth apostate .

W1IT
07-06-2014, 02:30 PM

You make some reasonable points, but maybe you've misunderstood mine. As for PhD got that, wrong filed, now too old to do much but be a philosopher.

W1IT
07-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Oh, dear, I'm not your buddy, I'm heart broken. I didn't say I wanted to transmit music. I said it harmless and it is a restriction that keeps HR pulled into an old man's smoke room. It doesn't matter what I think because you have no qualified HR operators anyway. Pre published easy tests with answers and no code
That fact you dislike the truth or me leaves me rather in different.

W7XF
07-06-2014, 02:59 PM
*waxing the Island plank and starving the piranhas again*

W1IT....I have it on good authority that grounding the B+ of your equipment greatly reduces noise. Try it.

ad4mg
07-06-2014, 03:15 PM
vacuous: adjective
having or showing a lack of intelligence or serious thought : lacking meaning, importance, or substance

Describes this thread nicely. High potential for more trolling/baiting.

I locked it earlier, should have left it locked.

NQ6U
09-09-2014, 11:52 AM
in the US you have not needed to give your call anymore frequently than ten minutes (even this a dumb old requirement, IMHO).!

Apparently, the FCC disagrees with you on this. But, of course, you've already received a nice letter from them reminding you about it.

PA5COR
09-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Here it's end and start of transmitting ( can be spread over a few short overs) and every 5 minutes, be glad it is 10 minutes there.
Reason I use a cw identifier running in the background...

N8YX
09-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Apparently, the FCC disagrees with you on this. But, of course, you've already received a nice letter from them reminding you about it.
What you did there: We see it.

W3WN
09-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Now, now, ladies and gentleman.

It's not nice to kick a man when he's down. Not nice at all.

Instead, you make him walk the plank. The board's repaired, waxed & ready to go... and the piranha in the Cowthief Memorial Lagoon are hungry (they'll make taco meat out of anybody)

VE7DCW
09-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Now, now, ladies and gentleman.

It's not nice to kick a man when he's down. Not nice at all.

Instead, you make him walk the plank. The board's repaired, waxed & ready to go... and the piranha in the Cowthief Memorial Lagoon are hungry (they'll make taco meat out of anybody)

The Cowthief Memorial Lagoon....... I like that one! :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
09-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Yeah. Me, too. Maybe we can film the event from the air using...........you know what.

W5BRM
09-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah. Me, too. Maybe we can film the event from the air using...........you know what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LRwRmX-H8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqb9Pcg8A4o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahEZKMcWad0

kb2vxa
09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
W1 IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE to troll the Cowthief Memorial Lagoon thinking IT would catch some fish, but the fish caught IT! <ouch>

WØTKX
09-10-2014, 04:10 PM
The accusation of being a Broney (true or not) is absolutely perfect for QRM'rs and forum trolls.

It just tickles my evil sensibilities, no offense to the My Little Pony Priesthood.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6292810752/h60445B9A/

W2NAP
09-10-2014, 09:00 PM
silly brony, my little pony is for girls

:v

KJ3N
09-10-2014, 09:21 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/deb/407/8f6/resized/pedobear-meme-generator-so-bronies-what-s-your-favorite-episode-fbbfa4.jpg

N2NH
09-11-2014, 01:06 AM

Me too. ;)

http://i60.tinypic.com/mbpjxe.jpg

kb2vxa
09-11-2014, 10:43 AM
HAH!!!

WØTKX
09-11-2014, 01:25 PM
http://irenebrination.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55290e7c4883301a3fce5e578970b-800wi

N2NH
09-11-2014, 02:57 PM
... the Cowthief Memorial Lagoon...

This would be a good title for an area here on the Island. Where else would you find a lagoon??:lol:

n2ize
09-11-2014, 03:36 PM
http://irenebrination.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55290e7c4883301a3fce5e578970b-800wi

When you see that parked at your local airport you KNOW that Cowthief is in town... :mrgreen:

WØTKX
09-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Even as a fan of campy, bitchy artistic endeavours (because they're funny and fun) from Truman Capote to Latrice Royale, I never thought I would ever say this phrase:

That pink helicopter is fabulous.

w2amr
09-11-2014, 04:10 PM

Yes, maybe Glen is eccentric, but it was people like him who in 1961, amused me as I listened to their lunacy on 75 meter am Ol Stanley comes to mind, W1TJX, poor Stanley everybody could hear him, but he never could quite copy anybody. Until he met the mailman from Brattleboro Vt, W1SIO.

I can say I was sad. because I knew crazy Stanley now had a rag chew buddy he could hear and would not keep up the CQ that took a half hour and annoyed everyone.

You see people nothing grows without conflict, nothing grows when its regulated too much because when it is, the very fresh blood, creative people you want to attract find open alternatives. No where today is that as true with web internet just placing video, information and communications of all kinds in the hand of everyone. Ever wonder why Face Book became a multibillion dollar industry. So when you crucify your apparent crazy fringes and put them to death, you also condemn yourself to being old, stale and irrelevant.
Yeah, it's a real shame about Baxter. It's a shame they didn't confiscate his equipment and throw the arrogant prick in jail.

KJ3N
09-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah, it's a real shame about Baxter. It's a shame they didn't confiscate his equipment and throw the arrogant prick in jail.

I'd have tied his equipment around his neck and pushed him off the plank.

w2amr
09-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Lost to the briny deep with a boat anchor tied to his neck. Arrrr.

kb2vxa
09-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Don't you mean with IT tied to his neck? You don't need a boat anchor where the briny is deep, he can't swim that far. Besides, it's a waste of a perfectly (well, maybe not so perfectly) good KW-1.

KJ3N
09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Somehow, I don't think we'll see W1IT-less here anytime soon. He's too busy trying his (lost) case in the court of public opinion on eham.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,98862.0.html

It's not going well there, either. :rofl: :rofl:

W3WN
09-12-2014, 01:45 PM
http://irenebrination.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55290e7c4883301a3fce5e578970b-800wiWhy does this thing remind me of the descriptions of the ornithopter in the original Dune novel?

W3WN
09-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Somehow, I don't think we'll see W1IT-less here anytime soon. He's too busy trying his (lost) case in the court of public opinion on eham.

It's not going well there, either. :rofl: :rofl:He's definitely drank a full gallon of the K1MAN-flavored Kool-Aide.

And he still can't spell worth a spit

NQ6U
09-12-2014, 02:21 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Pyle_pirate_plank_edited.jpg/640px-Pyle_pirate_plank_edited.jpg

BTW, next Friday is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr....!

W3WN
09-12-2014, 02:43 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Pyle_pirate_plank_edited.jpg/640px-Pyle_pirate_plank_edited.jpg

BTW, next Friday is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr....!Damn straight it is.

Here's two of them. Older pictures I'm afraid, but I didn't have anything recent handy...
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13042&stc=1
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13041&stc=1

N8YX
09-12-2014, 05:21 PM

Eham is seemingly where the clueless and disjointed go to electronically rot, all the while getting the metaphoric shit kicked out of them. I see a couple "luminaries"....errr, dim bulbs actively polluting their forums on occasion, interspersed with the requisite Know-It-Alls.

It's bad when a board conspires to drive the likes of 'JI away due to buffoonery in the technical sections.

KJ3N
09-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Eham is seemingly where the clueless and disjointed go to electronically rot, all the while getting the metaphoric shit kicked out of them. I see a couple "luminaries"....errr, dim bulbs actively polluting their forums on occasion, interspersed with the requisite Know-It-Alls.

It's bad when a board conspires to drive the likes of 'JI away due to buffoonery in the technical sections.

Eham isn't alone in that regard. How many times has 'JI disappeared on QRDead?

kb2vxa
09-12-2014, 06:15 PM
"BTW, next Friday is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr....!"

GREAT! We had our shARRR of pirate ports hARR in New JARRRsey, I wondARR if people living thARRR know their histARRRy. Pieces of eight, pieces of eight! ARRRK! Yo ho ho, ho, and a bottle of rum ye lusty wench! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Somehow, I don't think we'll see W1IT-less here anytime soon."
At least not until he gets over mourning the loss of his 10-4 good buddy K1 less than a MAN.
"He's too busy trying his (lost) case in the court of public opinion on eham."
Speaking of which, my favorite post on (m)e ham?

"Hey W1IT-less !
Give it up dude. You're getting bitchslapped everytime you post something stooopid."

n2ize
09-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Yaaar matey, Here lie thee lyrics to that most bloody song ye chante...

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum Drink and the devil be done for the rest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum The mate was fixed by the bos'n's pike The bos'n' brained with a markin spike And Cookey's throat was marked belike It had been gripped by fingers ten And there they lay all good dead men Like break o' day in a boozing ken Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum Fifteen men of a whole ship's list Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum Dead and be damned and the rest gone whist! Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum The skipper lay with his nob in gore Where the scullion's axe his cheek had shore And the scullion he was stabbed times four And there he lay and the soggy skies Dripped all day in up-staring eyes At murk sunset and at foul sur-prise Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum Fifteen men of ‘em stiff and stark Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum Ten of the crew had the murder mark Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum ‘Twas a cutlass swipe or and ounce of lead Or a yawning hole in a battered head and the scuppers glut with a yawning red And there they lay aye damn my eyes All lookouts clapped on par - a - dise All souls bound just con – tra – ri - wise Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum Fifteen men of ‘em good and true Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum Every man Jack could ha' sailed with old Pew Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum There was chest on chest of Spanish gold With a ton of plate in the middle hold And the cabins riot with stuff un told As they lay there that had took the plum With a sightless glare and their lips struck dumb While we shared all by the rule of thumb Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum Fifteen men of a dead man's chest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum Drink and the devil had done for the rest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum We wrapped ‘em all in a mains'l tight With twice ten turns of a hausers bight And we heaved ‘em over and out of sight With a yo heave ho and fare you well And a sullen plunge in a sullen swell Ten fathoms deep on the road to hell Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum (http://Fifteen%20men%20on%20a%20dead%20man's%20chestYo%20 ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rum%20Drink%20an d%20the%20devil%20be%20done%20for%20the%20restYo%2 0ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rumThe%20mate%2 0was%20fixed%20by%20the%20bos'n's%20pike%20The%20b os'n'%20brained%20with%20a%20markin%20spikeAnd%20C ookey's%20throat%20was%20marked%20belikeIt%20had%2 0been%20gripped%20by%20fingers%20tenAnd%20there%20 they%20lay%20all%20good%20dead%20menLike%20break%2 0o'%20day%20in%20a%20boozing%20ken%20Yo%20Ho%20Ho% 20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rumFifteen%20men%20of%20 a%20whole%20ship's%20listYo%20Ho%20Ho%20and%20a%20 bottle%20of%20rum%20Dead%20and%20be%20damned%20and %20the%20rest%20gone%20whist!Yo%20ho%20ho%20and%20 a%20bottle%20of%20rumThe%20skipper%20lay%20with%20 his%20nob%20in%20goreWhere%20the%20scullion's%20ax e%20his%20cheek%20had%20shore%20And%20the%20sculli on%20he%20was%20stabbed%20times%20fourAnd%20there% 20he%20lay%20and%20the%20soggy%20skies%20Dripped%2 0all%20day%20in%20up-staring%20eyesAt%20murk%20sunset%20and%20at%20foul %20sur-priseYo%20ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rumFif teen%20men%20of%20%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%CB%9Cem%20stiff% 20and%20starkYo%20ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of% 20rum%20Ten%20of%20the%20crew%20had%20the%20murder %20markYo%20ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rum% C3%A2%E2%82%AC%CB%9CTwas%20a%20cutlass%20swipe%20o r%20and%20ounce%20of%20leadOr%20a%20yawning%20hole %20in%20a%20battered%20head%20and%20the%20scuppers %20glut%20with%20a%20yawning%20redAnd%20there%20th ey%20lay%20aye%20damn%20my%20eyes%20All%20lookouts %20clapped%20on%20par%20-%20a%20-%20diseAll%20souls%20bound%20just%20con%20%C3%A2%E 2%82%AC%E2%80%9C%20tra%20%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%80%9C% 20ri%20-%20wiseYo%20ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rumF ifteen%20men%20of%20%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%CB%9Cem%20good %20and%20trueYo%20ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of% 20rum%20Every%20man%20Jack%20could%20ha'%20sailed% 20with%20old%20PewYo%20ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle% 20of%20rumThere%20was%20chest%20on%20chest%20of%20 Spanish%20goldWith%20a%20ton%20of%20plate%20in%20t he%20middle%20hold%20And%20the%20cabins%20riot%20w ith%20stuff%20un%20toldAs%20they%20lay%20there%20t hat%20had%20took%20the%20plum%20With%20a%20sightle ss%20glare%20and%20their%20lips%20struck%20dumb%20 While%20we%20shared%20all%20by%20the%20rule%20of%2 0thumbYo%20ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rumFi fteen%20men%20of%20a%20dead%20man's%20chestYo%20ho %20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rum%20Drink%20and% 20the%20devil%20had%20done%20for%20the%20restYo%20 ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rumWe%20wrapped% 20%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%CB%9Cem%20all%20in%20a%20mains'l %20tightWith%20twice%20ten%20turns%20of%20a%20haus ers%20bight%20And%20we%20heaved%20%C3%A2%E2%82%AC% CB%9Cem%20over%20and%20out%20of%20sightWith%20a%20 yo%20heave%20ho%20and%20fare%20you%20well%20And%20 a%20sullen%20plunge%20in%20a%20sullen%20swell%20Te n%20fathoms%20deep%20on%20the%20road%20to%20hellYo %20ho%20ho%20and%20a%20bottle%20of%20rum/)y

N2NH
09-13-2014, 12:45 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/8xpted.jpg

K7SGJ
09-13-2014, 01:20 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/8xpted.jpg

He could probably play Anthony Band-er-ass's part in Zorro, too.