PDA

View Full Version : Too much trailer??

K9CCH
07-04-2014, 07:55 PM
So we're looking at travel trailers. Until now we've been looking at new trailers because I did not want to buy used.

Well today we were presented with a deal too good to pass up. A 27' Mallard 26E by Fleetwood. Its a 2000 and is in impeccable condition. It has a 12'x32" slide, and all the amenities. Current NADA values are anywhere from $6K to $8K, and they want to sell it to us for $4500 and they're even including the weight distribution hitch, and sway bars.

Too good to be true right?

Well the dry weight is 5800. Our brand new 2014 GMC Sierra with the 4.3L V6 is only rated at 6500lbs.

We aren't going in mountains, we aren't pulling across country, its mostly going to be local trips to state parks or down to the beach for a weekend.

So. Would you pull it, or do you think its a safety issue being so close to the mac tow rating?

Dry weight is 5800
GVWR is 7500

K7SGJ
07-04-2014, 08:11 PM
I think towing specs have some head room, and I don't think I'd be too concerned. Especially since you aren't going long distances, and especially not in mountainous terrain. I'd make sure your vehicle has the towing package that has HD radiator, oil cooler, and all that stuff.

Does your vehicle have a switch for towing or do you just take it out of overdrive? Also, does the trailer have brakes that require a controller in the towing vehicle?

K9CCH
07-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Yes. I have a full factory towing package on the truck, with a factory receiver. The trailer is coming with a weight distribution hitch and sway bars, and it has trailer brakes.

The truck has a 7 way connection in the back, but I will be putting in a brake controller box as well.

NQ6U
07-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Yes. I have a full factory towing package on the truck, with a factory receiver. The trailer is coming with a weight distribution hitch and sway bars, and it has trailer brakes.

The truck has a 7 way connection in the back, but I will be putting in a brake controller box as well.

You're golden. Go for it.

K9CCH
07-04-2014, 08:31 PM
This thing is impeccable. It's really one of those too good to be true deals....

The only reason I'm buying it is because this 80 year old man is picky picky picky and has kept it in immaculate condition. The only thing I can find wrong with it is a cracked vent cover on one of the air ducts. Thats it.

Other than a layer of dirt, there isn't a thing wrong with it.

K7SGJ
07-04-2014, 08:39 PM
I agree, you should be good to go. Absolutlely get a brake controller. I use a Curt TriFlex which is good for 1 to 4 axles, and it is a proportional unit. They are only around $100, and well worth it. When I tow my 20 foot dual axle trailer with the fork lift on it, I'm very close to max specs for the Tundra. But I just take it easy, and haven't had any problems. When I tow the tractor, it is a lot easier since it doesn't weigh as much. Brake controllers makes all the difference when stopping or just slowing down. A breakaway kit on your trailer would be another good investment if it doesn't come with one.

KK4AMI
07-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Generally, you only have too much trailer when you can't figure out where to put it when you aren't using it. Or the neighbor tell you it's an eyesore. ;)

K7SGJ
07-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Generally, you only have too much trailer when you can't figure out where to put it when you aren't using it. Or the neighbor tell you it's an eyesore. ;)

That's when you leave the last 3 or 4 feet hanging in their yard.

n0iu
07-04-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't know if its on Netflix, but try and find "The Long, Long Trailer" with Desi and Lucy. Now that was a story about too much trailer!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-48vv9WzNjQw/TkM006capcI/AAAAAAAAetQ/j4uR0S8fhTQ/s1600/The-Long-Long-Trailer-35.png

K9CCH
07-04-2014, 11:06 PM

We're going to have to keep it in the driveway for a little while anyway, while we search for storage lot. If we back it up to where the rear spare is within an inch of the house, the tongue will be about 4 feet from the street!!

WØTKX
07-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Cult classic, and funny. :clap:

Check out the title and chorus of this song from a band I listen to a lot... :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/GH21QovdhZs

WX7P
07-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Cult classic, and funny. :clap:

Check out the title and chorus of this song from a band I listen to a lot... :mrgreen:

First thing that came to mind when I saw the pic in the previous post!

I've seen TMBG 3 times in person. Best show was at a small venue in Petaluma, CA in 1994.

NQ6U
07-04-2014, 11:57 PM
I've seen 'em twice. They're way better live than recorded.

suddenseer
07-05-2014, 01:24 AM
My ex, and I got the camping bug a couple of years after sleeping in a tent on weekend camping trips. We bought a 2000 model Fleetwood 5th wheel. It was nice. We went camping 3 times after it was paid off. I hope your mileage is better. I only camp out several times a year now.........in a tent.

n0iu
07-05-2014, 06:28 AM
If we back it up to where the rear spare is within an inch of the house, the tongue will be about 4 feet from the street!!

You should call your trailer Gene Simmons!

http://web.gk12.net/mm/WDprojects/Spring_2010/jordan_fan/images/gene%20tn3.jpg

K9CCH
07-05-2014, 08:47 AM
You should call your trailer Gene Simmons!

we're gonna name it "Swishy Petes Camp For Feminine Boys"

WØTKX
07-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Stay in your lane with that swishing! :lol:

K9CCH
07-05-2014, 09:12 AM
I really want this trailer, because the condition and price are just too good. But I'm really concerned about the weight.

I've been hanging out on the RV's forums doing my research and the weight police have gotten me scared out of my wits.

Now I've pulled over size loads WITHOUT trailer brakes, back when I was young and stupid and I did fine. I dont know why I'm so concerned now.

n0iu
07-05-2014, 09:23 AM
I've been hanging out on the RV's forums doing my research and the weight police have gotten me scared out of my wits.

That's easy.... stop going to RV forums!

...back when I was young and stupid...

Yeah, I did a lot of dumb things when I was young and stupid. That's why I am on my third marriage!

K7SGJ
07-05-2014, 09:43 AM
I really want this trailer, because the condition and price are just too good. But I'm really concerned about the weight.

Now I've pulled over size loads WITHOUT trailer brakes, back when I was young and stupid and I did fine. I dont know why I'm so concerned now.

Trailer brakes make all the difference. I adjust mine to where the trailer brakes just a little bit harder than the truck. For my situation, it gives me great control. If there is any way you can drive a vehicle towing a trailer with trailer brakes before you commit, you will be convinced.

As far as the RV forums go, they are like the ham forums. A real ham uses a top of the line transmitter, amplifier, and full studio audio processing, feeding a G5RV. A real RVer uses a Peterbuilt tractor to pull a 10 foot tent trailer with 10 inch tires.

Don't worry about it. Your setup will do just fine. It's not like you are going to be pulling the trailer to the top of Mt. Rainier.

K9CCH
07-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Well here's the thing.

The trailer is currently valued a $6500 to $7900 retail. They are selling it to us for $4500.

We'll buy it, and pull it to a few local campgrounds on the beach, and State Parks. We'll pay it off in the next 12 months and if it ends up being too much trailer for the truck, then next summer we'll trade it in on a something newer and lighter. We'll take it easy, drive slowly, and see how we like the TT lifestyle.

Whats the worse that can happen? We buy a trailer thats just a little too heavy, and then sell it for $2K more than we paid for it.

I think for the condition, the price, and the way we will be using it, it's a good introduction to the lifestyle.

K7SGJ
07-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Well here's the thing.

The trailer is currently valued a $6500 to $7900 retail. They are selling it to us for $4500.

We'll buy it, and pull it to a few local campgrounds on the beach, and State Parks. We'll pay it off in the next 12 months and if it ends up being too much trailer for the truck, then next summer we'll trade it in on a something newer and lighter. We'll take it easy, drive slowly, and see how we like the TT lifestyle.

Whats the worse that can happen? We buy a trailer thats just a little too heavy, and then sell it for $2K more than we paid for it.

I think for the condition, the price, and the way we will be using it, it's a good introduction to the lifestyle.

It's a good plan

n0iu
07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
we're gonna name it "Swishy Petes Camp For Feminine Boys"

Ummmm....

I am not here to judge, but is there something you're not telling us Chris?

K9CCH
07-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Ummmm....

I am not here to judge, but is there something you're not telling us Chris?

I'm secretely straight and I enjoy a good vagina appetizer every now and then.

KG4CGC
07-05-2014, 11:46 AM

Told ya! Told ya all!

N2NH
07-05-2014, 12:09 PM

Told ya! Told ya all!

[wipes screen clean] That's right up there with "Luke I am your father."

K0RGR
07-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Before you commit to anything, have someone check the wooden frame for any signs of water damage. I bought a Mallard motorhome years ago, and it disintegrated on it's first trip down the highway, because roof and other openings had leaked water and the frame was rotted out. We called our Mallard 'the Ruptured Duck' for years, until the cost of owning it drove me to basically give it away.

K9CCH
07-05-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm going to have the trailer fully inspected before I sign the title....

W7XF
07-05-2014, 05:46 PM

:vomit: :sick: :vomit:

K9CCH
07-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Dude, people on the camping forums have made this so stressful.

I realize that I'm pushing the limits of my tow capacity, I'm not stupid.

NQ6U
07-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Dude, people on the camping forums have made this so stressful.

I realize that I'm pushing the limits of my tow capacity, I'm not stupid.

Fuck the people on the camping forums—in the metaphorical sense, of course. They're just like ham radio forums at certain other sites (cough cough eHam): a lot of people talking out of their asses.

K9CCH
07-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Well their ass cheeks are certainly loose!!!

NA4BH
07-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Carl's right, it's just like when you ask how to hook a diapole to a balum. They go all Floyd "The Barber" Lawson on you. You have a cesspool of knowledge here with a lot less stress. Just be sure to keep your trailer hitch bearings lubricated.

NQ6U
07-05-2014, 11:16 PM
Carl's right, it's just like when you ask how to hook a diapole to a balum. They go all Floyd "The Barber" Lawson on you. You have a cesspool of knowledge here with a lot less stress. Just be sure to keep your trailer hitch bearings lubricated.

And be careful not to bend the Johnson Rod when you're backing up.

NA4BH
07-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Especially if it's a filth wheel.

NQ6U
07-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Carl's right

Which is a rare and notable event, I'll have you know.

XE1/N5AL
07-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Sounds like something you'd plug into the back of an old Valiant transmitter.

K9CCH
07-05-2014, 11:45 PM

I'm very good with Johnsons. I've been around a few in my lifetime....

n0iu
07-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Just be sure to keep your trailer hitch bearings lubricated.

With the weight of that trailer, be sure to buy the heavy duty grade of blinker fluid for the trailer lights.

W7XF
07-06-2014, 03:02 PM
With the weight of that trailer, be sure to buy the heavy duty grade of blinker fluid for the trailer lights.

And super heavy duty muffler bearings.

NA4BH
07-06-2014, 06:15 PM
I forgot about those two things, thanks.

K9CCH
07-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Well I'm looking at the trucks manual and it says that its only rated to 6000lbs with a 1200lb tongue weight when using a weight dist hitch.

So basically one cooler of food and drinks and we are at the max trailer weight.

The funny thing is that the 4x4 version of our truck has a 7200lb rating.

KK4AMI
07-06-2014, 06:52 PM
WAIT A MINUTE! Are you trying to say that you're a Texan without a 4x4 Pick-up truck that can move the Rock of Gibraltar? That's unheard of! Let's see your birth certificate!!! :lol:

One time when I was in Dallas, I swear I saw a Kenworth tractor with a pick-up truck bed welded to the back of it.

K9CCH
07-06-2014, 07:03 PM
WAIT A MINUTE! Are you trying to say that you're a Texan without a 4x4 Pick-up truck that can move the Rock of Gibraltar? That's unheard of! Let's see your birth certificate!!! :lol:

One time when I was in Dallas, I swear I saw a Kenworth tractor with a pick-up truck bed welded to the back of it.

They are International CXT's.

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/randy_international_cxt_truck.jpg

K7SGJ
07-06-2014, 07:09 PM
They are International CXT's.

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/randy_international_cxt_truck.jpg

I wouldn't risk anything bigger than a Coleman tent trailer behind that.

KG4CGC
07-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Tonka makes penis extensions? Hew Gnu?

KK4AMI
07-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Well if I was a Texan, I'd be feeling really inadequate about now.

K7SGJ
07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Tonka makes penis extensions? Hew Gnu?

I think those are made by Tinker Toy, a subsidiary of Strapon Industries.

Business must be bad. The last I heard, they were in the hole.

AE5CP
07-06-2014, 10:21 PM
I guess I will go against the crowd and say it's not the best idea.
Having been in a similar situation where the camper was just barely beyond the limits of the tow vehicle, I will say that it is smart to stay within the parameters given.

We had to retire a tow vehicle after about 20 trips to a local state park. Either upgrade the tow vehicle now, or do it later. Downgrading a camper you love is not an option, I've been in that position.

KG4CGC
07-06-2014, 11:37 PM
I guess I will go against the crowd and say it's not the best idea.
Having been in a similar situation where the camper was just barely beyond the limits of the tow vehicle, I will say that it is smart to stay within the parameters given.

We had to retire a tow vehicle after about 20 trips to a local state park. Either upgrade the tow vehicle now, or do it later. Downgrading a camper you love is not an option, I've been in that position.

I kind of agree with this. I've told my dad many times in the last few years to quit buying shit tools to do big jobs.

N2NH
07-07-2014, 04:55 AM
I think those are made by Tinker Toy, a subsidiary of Strapon Industries.

Business must be bad. The last I heard, they were in the hole.

As long as there's no fire in the hole. Then again, wouldn't they have a fire sale?

K9CCH
07-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I kind of agree with this. I've told my dad many times in the last few years to quit buying shit tools to do big jobs.

HEY! The GMC isn't shit... its just a little understated... LOL

It's not like I'm trying to tow 4000 pounds more than the truck is rated for. Obviously it can pull 6000lbs safely otherwise they wouldn't put it in the manual and open themselves up to that kind of lawsuits and liability.

In a perfect world, I'd like to have one of those 4000lb ultra lite trailers, but that will come next summer when we use this monstrosity for a trade in.

KG4CGC
07-07-2014, 12:51 PM
My biggest concern would be the gearbox and rear end. You may need to look into a high end lube.

AE5CP
07-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Oh, believe me, it seems like it should work. If it's going to be that short term it should be ok, but we've been burned by getting a 6500lb trailer and pulling it with a vehicle with a 6000lb tow rating.
Granted our situation was a bit different, all of our state parks around here are in very hilly areas.

Having been an RV owner for a number of years, and knowing what can happen with insufficient tow vehicles I can't say everything will be peachy.

WØTKX
07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
It's pushing (pulling) it a bit... and I'd be damn careful about towing in 100+ heat.

Drive mellow, and at night if it's too hot...

K9CCH
07-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Galveston Beach is 30 miles away, the state park that we'd visit most often is only about 40 miles away, and most everything here on the coast is F-L-A-T.

The only partially hilly place we'd take it would be to New Braunfels to go to the river, and it gets slightly more hilly there, but even then its nothing like what yall have in mountainous areas.

And the longest trip we'd probably take would be about 280 miles either to Dallas or to Lafayette, both of which are relatively flat.

K9CCH
07-07-2014, 04:25 PM
This of this more like our 12 weekend trial trailer. We'll take it out locally about once a month for a year or so. If we like taking it out and can afford it, we'll use it as a trade in.

If we dont like it and cant afford it, we'll sell it and wont be out any fundage. At the price of rentals, if we were to rent one every month it would probably be WAY more than the price of this one anyway. It's like $500 a weekend around here to rent a trailer.

K9CCH
07-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Ok, I feel a little better. I found the actual 2000 model brochure. It's actually 5,690lbs.

http://media.rvusa.com/library/Fleetwood2000_ma_b.pdf

AE5CP
07-07-2014, 07:26 PM
You should be fine. Just drain any fluids from the storage tanks before moving it, that will cut quite a bit of your weight.
Make sure to balance the trailer, you want about 10 to 15 percent of your trailer weight on the tongue. If you have 4900lbs of camper and all the stuff that goes in it then you'd want around 490 to 735 on the tongue. Verify the rating of your frame mounted hitch receiver to accept that weight, a load distribution hitch may be required (good thing it is included).
These are just ballparks, refer to the camper forums for the actual math.

K9CCH
07-07-2014, 07:41 PM
I have a 600 lb tongue rating, 1200 if using a weight distributing hitch which I will be. The trailer has a tongue weight of 610 I believe.

AE5CP
07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
That is the dry tongue weight. Just make sure you balance out your belongings in there to keep that ratio about even.
In other words, put your heavier items closer to, or just ahead of the axle so that about 10-20% of the weight winds up on the tow vehicle.

K9CCH
07-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Edit

XE1/N5AL
07-07-2014, 10:39 PM
These discussions remind me of a friend who destroyed his car while towing a boat over the North Carolina mountains. He had just purchased the old boat and was bringing it back to his house, in Atlanta, for restoration. In theory, my friend should have been fine. But, he forgot to drain the water from the boat's hull before embarking on his journey. Doooooh!!!!