PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!

WX7P
07-01-2014, 03:58 PM
We are moving. Again.

This time to the tri-cities area of southern Washington (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland).

Time to pack. Time to sell yet another house. Time to coordinate everything (guess who gets to do that!)

Now to the important stuff... A new callsign! It will be a 7 again.

I'm hoping this is the last move.

West Coast? Check
No humidity? Check
Stable Job? Check
Relatively inexpensive house prices? Check
Somewhat close to aging parents? Check

Massive amounts of joy joy all around!

KG4CGC
07-01-2014, 04:02 PM
This is probably a good move. I think you are stifled in Illi.

WX7P
07-01-2014, 05:01 PM
This is probably a good move. I think you are stifled in Illi.

Yep, the term "fish out of water" comes to mind.

I will say this. The people here have been great. Everyone has been really friendly and nice. Everyone seems to be less in a hurry around here.

The weather and the lack of mountains were a big minus. In addition, Bloomington, IL has to be the most boring college town in the country. You'd think a place with two universities (Illinois State: 20K enrollment and Illinois Wesleyan: 2K enrollment) there'd be a more eclectic environment. Not even close. I'm not sure why that is. I don't think it's a midwestern thing because Ann Arbor MI and Champaign-Urbana Il are both pretty happening.

N2NH
07-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Good Luck Janet! Good to see you getting back in your element. Is it really that dry in Washington State? I'd always heard it was pretty humid there.

K7SGJ
07-01-2014, 06:09 PM
And you just finished painting the house.......

KK4AMI
07-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Good Luck. Watch out for the Measles outbreak in Washington. Although at our age I guess that is less of a worry since most of us had it already.

NQ6U
07-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Good Luck Janet! Good to see you getting back in your element. Is it really that dry in Washington State? I'd always heard it was pretty humid there.

The Tri-Cities area is east of the Cascades, which is high desert country. The climate is similar to that of Boise, ID—cold winters and hot, dry summers.

KG4CGC
07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I think it will be a prime radio location assuming that antennas will be allowed.

AE5CP
07-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Illinois sucks because it is in Illinois.

XE1/N5AL
07-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Congratulations on the move, Janet. It sounds like something that you really wanted to do.

One item on your "list of benefits" really stands out: Somewhat close to aging parents? Check.
Living so far away from my parents, this is something I worry about, myself. I'm glad you'll have the chance to be much closer to your parents.

PA5COR
07-02-2014, 02:13 AM
Congrats Janet, good to see you fulfilling a wish, and get better times back again.
Wishing you all the luck in the move and life there ;)

suddenseer
07-02-2014, 05:31 AM
Janet, have you considered selling the house, and buying a really large, fancy RV? It would be easier than moving.

n0iu
07-02-2014, 05:32 AM

This is why all the trees in Missouri lean towards Illinois!

Be that as it may, good luck and congratulations.

WX7P
07-02-2014, 07:37 AM

I don't know if I'd be that severe Bill (is it Bill?), and this is coming from one of the most regionally chauvinistic people around.

Like I said, the people are nice, at least out here in the cornfields, and it is cheap to live here. We would have had to pay 7x as much to get this house in the SF Bay Area. Sarah really liked her job here, it paid well, so some of the baseline Mazlov's needs stuff was well covered. So why leave? It's a complicated, yet surprisingly simple answer.

The people dynamic here, while generally favorable is just not the same for us. There really is a huge cultural difference from the peeps here and urban Northern California. I really have to slow down when I talk here, not because the people are stupid, but because they don't communicate the same way as they do out there. Any joke reference has to be real obvious, or they don't get it here. Note I said urban California, not California in general. We lived in extreme Northern California for 2 years in a place called Tulelake, which was a complete shithole. Great scenery, but the area was filled with the biggest collection of dumbasses I've ever seen. That's not the issue here.

The parents thing is a big deal for me. Even though my parents are in good shape, physically and mentally, they are still 86 and 82 years old. They are going to need help at some point in the future. Even though we will still be about 12 hours away by car, it'll still be a lot simpler logistically if we need to get to the Bay Area right away.

The weather here is a huge minus. I could never grok the snow thing at all. I have something called Raynaud's syndrome which means my hands and feet turn blue and numb quickly in cold weather. It means doing anything in the snow is pretty much off limits. In the summer, the humidity is oppressive. Again, we are not used to it (Sarah's from the San Diego area) and I suspect we would never get used to it. Just doing minor things in the garage makes me sweat like crazy.

I had trouble finding a decent (any) job here that didn't involve retail. Some of that to do with the long term unemployment bias, but the reality is there aren't many good paying jobs here except in areas where I have no training. I've already got some lines on things to do in the Pasco area, so I suspect I won't be unemployed for too long when we get there. That's huge, not only from a financial standpoint, but also sanity. There's only so much cleaning and organizing one can do over the course of the day. Ham radio is a decent distraction, but I can't do that all day long like some people.

Anyway, the bottom line has two entries. 1. Sarah loves her job, but hates it here. 2. (and most importantly) Illinois isn't home. Southern Washington isn't home either, but it's a lot closer match than this place.

WX7P
07-02-2014, 07:39 AM
And you just finished painting the house.......

I don't want to talk about that....:irked:

WX7P
07-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Congratulations on the move, Janet. It sounds like something that you really wanted to do.

One item on your "list of benefits" really stands out: Somewhat close to aging parents? Check.
Living so far away from my parents, this is something I worry about, myself. I'm glad you'll have the chance to be much closer to your parents.

I'm hip, Ricardo.

That aspect of the equation doesn't always resonate with Sarah, as her parents left the planet in 1999 and 2000. I suspect my parents have at least another 4 years where they can still live in their own house, barring any sort of accident. The gene stock is great on both sides and neither has anything funky wrong with them. My Dad was smart enough to quit smoking in 1980, so he dodged that bullet.

KC2KFC
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Congratulations Janet. It's always nice to be close to parents especially as they age.

w2amr
07-04-2014, 06:32 AM
We are moving. Again.

This time to the tri-cities area of southern Washington (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland).

Time to pack. Time to sell yet another house. Time to coordinate everything (guess who gets to do that!)

Now to the important stuff... A new callsign! It will be a 7 again.

I'm hoping this is the last move.

West Coast? Check
No humidity? Check
Stable Job? Check
Relatively inexpensive house prices? Check
Somewhat close to aging parents? Check

Massive amounts of joy joy all around!
I am Nomad :mrgreen:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnEPcG6ulpSw_aVlUuUol2Nh6PXEquK xUmkYM8aCUTLMFhQBVg

NQ6U
07-04-2014, 10:25 AM
I am Nomad :mrgreen:
http://speedydaddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/SD_1957-Chevrolet-Nomad-Fuelie-Picture.jpg

Fixed that for you...

w2amr
07-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Fixed that for you...It crossed my mind.:snicker:

N2NH
07-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Fixed that for you...

http://speedydaddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/SD_1957-Chevrolet-Nomad-Fuelie-Picture.jpg

It needs a texas bugcatcher on the back. :yes:

n6hcm
07-04-2014, 05:52 PM
welcome back to the best coast!