PDA

View Full Version : Droid Apps....

K9CCH
06-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Soooo I quit drinking the Apple Kool Aid and traded my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy Note 3 phablet.

I can't remember all the apps I had on my iPhone, soooooo what are your favorite Droid apps?

koØm
06-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Soooo I quit drinking the Apple Kool Aid and traded my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy Note 3 phablet.

I can't remember all the apps I had on my iPhone, soooooo what are your favorite Droid apps?

opensignal (http://opensignal.com/)

NQ6U
06-24-2014, 08:57 PM
These aren't the droids we're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.

K9CCH
06-24-2014, 09:04 PM
I guess I probably should have specified "radio related apps".

K7SGJ
06-24-2014, 09:50 PM
You may want to sign up at Amazon for their free app of the day. I have been getting apps for free daily, for the last couple of years. Some are shit, of course, but many of them are quite good. I have gotten many games, utilities, and other things that I have on my Kindle, plus our phones, all the Android sys stuff we have around here. I think there are a couple of other places that have free apps every day for droid os, too. Some have had values up to $15.00 if normally bought at their app store. As a matter of fact, being a cheap old bastid, I can't think of very many droid apps I have had to buy. Once you download an app from them, you can pretty much put them on all your droid stuff.

koØm
06-24-2014, 10:19 PM
I guess I probably should have specified "radio related apps".

Your phone IS a radio.

The app lets you direction find the cell towers that you are connected, shows them on a map; kinda neat to to watch the different networks as you move from cell to cell. Does a lot of other things also like tells you the signal strength, type of network (EDGE, 2G, 3G, HSPA, HSPA+, 4G-Lte). It's a lot of "Need to know" information on the radio commonly known as a "Cell Phone".

KG4CGC
06-25-2014, 02:46 AM
These aren't the droids we're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.
bushtit

KC2UGV
06-25-2014, 06:04 AM
EchoLink, DroidPSK...

I'll post more as I remember them. I have an iPhone now (Work phone), so I have to dig through my secondary storage to remember any.

K9CCH
06-25-2014, 09:01 AM
EchoLink, DroidPSK...

I'll post more as I remember them. I have an iPhone now (Work phone), so I have to dig through my secondary storage to remember any.

I downloaded Echolink this morning. I've been listening to the DODROPIN reflector/satellite/thingy this morning. Breakfast club net.

W7XF
06-25-2014, 10:57 AM
APRSDroid
DXFun
RepeaterBook (NOT the ARRL's)

and yes, The Swamp has a call lookup Droid app that doesn't need their overpriced XML subby.

kb2vxa
06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
You can find a lot more than just cell towers if you do your WiFi thing and check out THIS web site: http://www.antennasearch.com/

koØm
06-28-2014, 06:52 PM
You can find a lot more than just cell towers if you do your WiFi thing and check out THIS web site: http://www.antennasearch.com/

I like that cell phone app that I mentioned because among other things, it gives a constant read out of signal strength in dBm/asu.

My cell phone carrier brags that 96% of the country is covered by it's 4G-Lte, my whole city is in the 4% that is not covered, we have HSPA+, which falls back to 3G and then to EDGE network.

I get absolutely crappy cell phone signal sitting here in this room where I use the computer most while, if I change locations in the house, the signal is better. Just for my own edification, that cell phone app allowed me to discover that if my phone is within 3 feet of the keyboard, I drop down to -115 dBm / 4 asu and my phone is on the EDGE network. When I move away from the keyboard, my signal level increases and, I am bumped up to 3G speed.

If I walk into the front part of my house, I get a better signal, that's because I have been switched off to another cell tower and I and now receiving HSPA+ . The phone signal is switched between cell towers depending upon what part of the house I'm in.

The app also does speed test of your data sending and, receiving from the cell tower and stores a history of it.

Most people don't care to or, cannot comprehend the complexity of cell phone transmission, all they want is for the thing to just complete a call or maybe sent a text message. I want to know more.