PDA

View Full Version : Mayday Mayday Mayday

K9CCH
06-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Seriously?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/19/coast-guard-seeks-public-help-in-identifying-hoax-caller/

K7SGJ
06-24-2014, 01:44 PM
While this is truly bullshit, and misdirects rescue resources from those that might be legitimate, I really hope the media jumping all over it doesn't encourage others to do likewise. Kinda like the "lasers shined in the pilots eyes" epidemic. Once it hit the media, a lot of assholes who never had an original thought started doing it, too.

KK4AMI
06-24-2014, 02:01 PM
OK, I'm sure the Chinese flooding the market about 10 years ago with green laser diodes and today with handheld transceivers that cover the marine band, would have nothing to do with it?

KG4CGC
06-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Oh sure. Let's blame the Chinese for the reprehensible behavior of the idiot behind the mic.

K7SGJ
06-24-2014, 02:17 PM
OK, I'm sure the Chinese flooding the market about 10 years ago with green laser diodes and today with handheld transceivers that cover the marine band, would have nothing to do with it?

WTF? Of course, if they weren't available, these AHs would have to find something else to do. But, to blame the Chinese for abusing something they provide, is totally irresponsible. Used properly, these lasers and radios are inexpensive tools with a specific purpose.

Your statement is akin to blaming the drug companies for all those who chose to abuse the drugs that others need and use responsibly.

KK4AMI
06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Oh I'm sorry. Let me get this straight. If guns are used to commit crimes we need to regulate guns. If electronic devices are being used to commit crimes, we need to prosecute the asshole using it. OK, I'm on the same page wit' ya' all.:chin::lol:

NQ6U
06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
"When cheap Chinese HTs are outlawed, only outlaws will have cheap Chinese HTs."

KG4CGC
06-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Oh I'm sorry. Let me get this straight. If guns are used to commit crimes we need to regulate guns. If electronic devices are being used to commit crimes, we need to prosecute the asshole using it. OK, I'm on the same page wit' ya' all.:chin::lol:

Wow. Talk about grasping at straws.

K7SGJ
06-24-2014, 03:11 PM

I don't think we can put the misuse of firearms on par with lasers or Baofengs. Besides, this is not the forum to discuss guns. That one has run it's course at least 20 times over, but I digress. Let's face it, people will abuse just about anything. The misuse of some tools, have more devastating consequences than others. Look at all the people that misused radios during the CB craze. Most popular were the Yaesus, made in Japan. Should all HF radios from Japan have been banned or regulated?

What is YOUR solution to the abuse of lasers and handheld radios?

ad4mg
06-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Gun thread is here: https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/24268-The-Gun-Debate-The-one-thread-to-rule-them-all

Play pop-guns there, NOT in the technical forums. :angry: