PDA

View Full Version : I've been screwing all day

NQ6U
06-20-2014, 05:54 PM
1300 times since this morning no less.

What? Oh, no, I meant 2" drywall screws fastening down 15/32" plywood underlayment. Sheesh, you guys have such dirty minds.

http://i.imgur.com/gkCQp3c.png

VE7DCW
06-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Been there....... done that..... I mean screwing down plenty of sub-floor.What else would I have thought? :chin:

VE7DCW
06-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Just out of curiosity Carl......what thickness of plywood were you able to get away with for your sub-floor? ....... :chin:

NQ6U
06-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Just out of curiosity Carl......what thickness of plywood were you able to get away with for your sub-floor? ....... :chin:

I used 15/32" (don't know what the metric plywood equivalent would be; 15/32" is about 12mm) exterior glue ply but it's put down over the existing subfloor, which was only about 1/2" and a bit bouncy. We're putting in tile on the floors so we wanted to firm things up a bit so it didn't crack.

VE7DCW
06-20-2014, 06:44 PM
We don't use metric for lumber and building supplies ......a 2X4 is still that..... but,any sheet of good plywood better than 1/2 inch will support anything including tile...... 5/8 inch fir plywood is the most ideal! .....i've seen idiots here try using OSB board but it won't work and it violates building codes here....... I've had to repair flooring where nut jobs have even used K4 in Kitchens!!! ......the pics show you did a terrific job! :yes:

NA4BH
06-20-2014, 06:47 PM
I generally quit at 1301 too. The wife is usually tired by then and besides the Today Show is coming on.

KG4CGC
06-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Well there you have it. The Pope is screwy.

NQ6U
06-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Well there you have it. The Pope is screwy.

Like you didn't already know that...

http://byebyepie.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f9367fb8834017d4178c5da970c-pi

AE5CP
06-20-2014, 10:16 PM
I always wondered why that duck always had a flag pole shoved up his ass.

NQ6U
06-20-2014, 10:18 PM
I always wondered why that duck always had a flag pole shoved up his ass.

Because Bugs Bunny drew him that way.

NQ6U
06-20-2014, 10:23 PM
We don't use metric for lumber and building supplies ......a 2X4 is still that..... but,any sheet of good plywood better than 1/2 inch will support anything including tile...... 5/8 inch fir plywood is the most ideal! .....i've seen idiots here try using OSB board but it won't work and it violates building codes here....... I've had to repair flooring where nut jobs have even used K4 in Kitchens!!! ......the pics show you did a terrific job! :yes:

This place is, for the most part, very well built but they kind of skimped when it came to the subfloor. If we were putting in carpet or even hardwood flooring, it would have been okay but for tile it had to be more solid to avoid cracks, so we added another layer of plywood laid perpendicular to the old sheets and screwed down every 4" to the joists. The floor feels almost as solid as concrete now. With a layer of plywood nearly an inch thick, it ought to.

KG4CGC
06-20-2014, 10:25 PM
At least they used plywood. Code around her says particle board is just dandy. It isn't.

NQ6U
06-20-2014, 10:32 PM
At least they used plywood. Code around her says particle board is just dandy. It isn't.

I don't think particle board had yet been invented when they built this place 65 years ago but, yeah, it's not a good subfloor at all, especially in damp climates. I think OSB is allowed, but I'm not sure. High-end places seem to use wonderboard, which we would have liked to use also but it cost four times as much and would probably have been overkill anyhow.

KG4CGC
06-20-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm surprised you didn't screw me for my error. Her is not equal to here, nor is here equal to her.

W7XF
06-21-2014, 08:01 AM
I generally quit at 1301 too. The wife is usually tired by then and besides the Today Show is coming on.
I thought quitting time was 1620.....

K7SGJ
06-21-2014, 12:33 PM
1300 times since this morning no less.

What? Oh, no, I meant 2" drywall screws fastening down 15/32" plywood underlayment. Sheesh, you guys have such dirty minds.

http://i.imgur.com/gkCQp3c.png

I was just floored the first time I read this, but, now I'm board. However, looking at your staggered seam placement, and alternate run of grain underneath, I'd say......you really nailed it.

Oh, and by the way, I hope your tile gets laid.

NQ6U
07-10-2014, 10:51 PM
The tile got laid.

Still have lots to do but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel well enough to recognize that it's not the headlight of an oncoming train.

http://i.imgur.com/mkg2TH9.jpg

K7SGJ
07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Did you do the tile yourself?

NA4BH
07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
You do know that you can use a chalk line to get the tiles straight.

NA4BH
07-10-2014, 10:56 PM

He was too busy screwing with the "hard wood". Maybe 40 years ago. Now it's like shooting pool with a rope.

NQ6U
07-10-2014, 10:57 PM

No, I had a buddy of mine who's a pro do it, I only helped. I know enough about it now, though, to give it a go next time the need pops up, which I hope will be sometime circa 2064.

NQ6U
07-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Hey, Gerry! Because we were worried a bit about house not being quite settled in yet after removing several tons of excess roofing, we decided to use an uncoupling layer between the subfloor and the tile:

http://i.imgur.com/6w17iFe.jpg

I point this out to you because...it was made in Canada, eh?

http://i.imgur.com/dJobeM1.jpg

NA4BH
07-10-2014, 11:14 PM
So they have waffles in Canada? Square waffles require flat/long bacon, it's in the Geneva Convention. Look it up.

KG4CGC
07-10-2014, 11:34 PM
So they have waffles in Canada? Square waffles require flat/long bacon, it's in the Geneva Convention. Look it up.

Genoa Convention.
Bushtit.
Horse.
ARGO.
My nutz itch.
True Story.

K7SGJ
07-10-2014, 11:42 PM
No, I had a buddy of mine who's a pro do it, I only helped. I know enough about it now, though, to give it a go next time the need pops up, which I hope will be sometime circa 2064.

My wife a I did just about the whole house when we built the place 20 years ago. My knees are still AFU. I still have the wet saw, but doubt it'll get much more use for floor tile.

KG4CGC
07-11-2014, 12:00 AM
My wife a I did just about the whole house when we built the place 20 years ago. My knees are still AFU. I still have the wet saw, but doubt it'll get much more use for floor tile.

You could use it to slice up that stolen cow meat dropped from a pink APU by a Mexican Bedouin.

NQ6U
07-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Genoa Convention.
Bushtit.
Horse.
ARGO.
My nutz itch.
True Story.

You forgot "Hello."

NQ6U
07-11-2014, 12:38 AM

What kind of subfloor does your place have?

KG4CGC
07-11-2014, 12:39 AM
You forgot "Hello."

Over.

NQ6U
07-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Over.

Roger.

W7XF
07-11-2014, 12:49 AM
You do know that you can use a chalk line to get the tiles straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuiUOq-1t1U

VE7DCW
07-11-2014, 01:46 AM
Hey, Gerry! Because we were worried a bit about house not being quite settled in yet after removing several tons of excess roofing, we decided to use an uncoupling layer between the subfloor and the tile:

http://i.imgur.com/6w17iFe.jpg

I point this out to you because...it was made in Canada, eh?

http://i.imgur.com/dJobeM1.jpg

But of course.......where else would quality product come from? :-D

K7SGJ
07-11-2014, 08:17 AM

The house is concrete throughout.

I think we will be redoing both the bathrooms in the next few months, but the floors aren't that big, and that would be the easiest part of the whole project, anyway. I still have to put in the tiles backsplash and some other wall tile in the kitchen to finish up that job. I don't mind the walls and such, but the floors are tough on the knees for this old man.

wa6mhz
07-11-2014, 12:30 PM
We wondered why u missed the LARC meeting! Guess U were still screwing around.

KG4CGC
07-11-2014, 12:49 PM
We wondered why u missed the LARC meeting! Guess U were still screwing around.

Yep. I bet he was faffing about.

NQ6U
07-11-2014, 03:06 PM

That makes installing tile a lot easier. No worries about shoring up a sagging subfloor. On the other hand, if you have any plumbing problems below grade...

I think we will be redoing both the bathrooms in the next few months, but the floors aren't that big, and that would be the easiest part of the whole project, anyway. I still have to put in the tiles backsplash and some other wall tile in the kitchen to finish up that job.

I feel confident enough to redo our kitchen counters with tile but I'd be hesitant to do so big a job as doing the floors. Just putting down self-stick vinyl tiles a couple of years ago seemed like a major undertaking. Of course, I decided to put them in on the 45, which looks really nice but made the job about three times as hard as it would have been otherwise.

I don't mind the walls and such, but the floors are tough on the knees for this old man.

I wore kneepads the whole time and still had to gobble ibuprofen by the handful at the end of the day.

K7SGJ
07-11-2014, 03:25 PM
That makes installing tile a lot easier. No worries about shoring up a sagging subfloor. On the other hand, if you have any plumbing problems below grade...

I feel confident enough to redo our kitchen counters with tile but I'd be hesitant to do so big a job as doing the floors. Just putting down self-stick vinyl tiles a couple of years ago seemed like a major undertaking. Of course, I decided to put them in on the 45, which looks really nice but made the job about three times as hard as it would have been otherwise.

I wore kneepads the whole time and still had to gobble ibuprofen by the handful at the end of the day.

Actually, what is the hardest, in my opinion, is doing the layout so you end up with close to equal sizes at the walls. What makes it harder, is when you have to transition into several rooms, and have several walls to contend with. The pros just walk in, take a look, do a 30 second calculation in their head, and away they go. It took me a full day to come up with a layout that would work. Laying the field tiles isn't so bad, but then all the cutting and nipping at the walls and door jams takes a lot of time. At least, for a DIYer. One thing I won't do again, we laid the tile in the winter time, and I like to froze my hands off with the spray from the tile saw. I won't cut tile again unless it's over 60 degrees outside.

NQ6U
07-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Actually, what is the hardest, in my opinion, is doing the layout so you end up with close to equal sizes at the walls. What makes it harder, is when you have to transition into several rooms, and have several walls to contend with. The pros just walk in, take a look, do a 30 second calculation in their head, and away they go. It took me a full day to come up with a layout that would work. Laying the field tiles isn't so bad, but then all the cutting and nipping at the walls and door jams takes a lot of time. At least, for a DIYer. One thing I won't do again, we laid the tile in the winter time, and I like to froze my hands off with the spray from the tile saw. I won't cut tile again unless it's over 60 degrees outside.

It took my friend a little longer than thirty seconds but he did get it right on the money. I did the cutting while he was laying tile, which sped things up considerably. It was in the high eighties here while we doing the tile work so the spray actually felt kind of good. Washing my hair afterwards was no fun, though.

W3WN
07-12-2014, 10:43 AM

I think we will be redoing both the bathrooms in the next few months, but the floors aren't that big, and that would be the easiest part of the whole project, anyway. I still have to put in the tiles backsplash and some other wall tile in the kitchen to finish up that job. I don't mind the walls and such, but the floors are tough on the knees for this old man.Ugh

The bathroom remodel wrapped up Tuesday evening. (Well, the inside of it is done. Now, I have to paint the outside hall, and some other trim work, but that's the easy part)

In the process of the job, the contractor discovered that the old floor tile had been put on top of a thin layer of "leveling concrete", which was on top of the old floor boards. Major PITA to deal with, trying to get the old concrete out of there.

He ended up chiseling it all out, then put down a layer of Hardibacker cement board. The new floor tiles are on top of it, and it's a much more level floor... and no creaks when we walk on it.

His opinion of the previous contractor? (The previous owner's brother, a contractor, who she urged us to use. Right.)

"Bushtit!" (or something like that)

NQ6U
07-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Where that little counter is now, there had been a full wall with doorway between the living area and the kitchen. The kitchen was cramped and dark and almost immediately after moving my M-I-L into the place, I thought about removing it. She was okay with things as they were, though, and didn't want to deal with the disruption of construction work so the wall remained in place while she lived there.

As we were getting ready to begin the remodel, I mentioned removing the wall to the friend who was helping me and he agreed that it would be good but we weren't sure we could pull it off on our limited budget, thinking we'd have to add a beam across the entire width to support the ceiling. While we were talking about it, however, he absentmindedly pushed against the wall and noticed it flexed far too easily to have been built out of old-fashioned lath and plaster like the rest of the house, or even drywall. On further investigation it became obvious that the wall was not original to the house so we decided to tear into it right then and there. Turns out it had been framed using (used) 1x4 fir spaced about three feet on center and covered on one side with some that cheesy 1/8" plywood paneling that was popular in the 70s, turned inside out and with a portion of an old sign painted on 1/4" plywood on the other. It took all of fifteen minutes to demo the entire thing using nothing more than a 16 oz finish hammer, a Wonderbar and our feet. No shoring was required.

The place looks much nicer returned to it's original floor plan—much more spacious and airy. We added the pony wall to block the side view of the stove and provide a little counter space for holding things while cooking. It's framed with 2x6 fir lag bolted to the floor joists just to be sure it's solid.

n2ize
07-13-2014, 06:34 AM

No subfloor. The floorboards are the floor and the ground floor is dirt :lol: