PDA

View Full Version : FCC to KV4I: No, you can't use ham gear on GMRS

W3WN
06-20-2014, 10:38 AM
The FCC has dismissed a petition for rulemaking from Mark Friedlander KV4I.

The request proposed a modification of GMRS rules (section 95.129) that would permit any Amateur holding a Tech or higher license to use a non-certified transmitter on GMRS frequencies, as long as it met the technical specs for GMRS.

...in other words, if you owned a GMRS-capable radio (hello, Baofeng!) that hadn't formally be certified, you ought to be able to use it.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0620/DA-14-860A1.pdf

IMHO: Ah... no. Bad idea.

KG4CGC
06-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Does this have to do with power limitations or the thought that GMRS may be pirated? I don't know who I'd rather have pirate GMRS. Hams or just average non technically inclined people. I'm sure the FCC would frown on both.
HOWEVER, try buying an FRS radio that doesn't have GMRS frequencies already in the channel line up. Now how many people read the rules and pay attention to what frequency they're on?

K7SGJ
06-20-2014, 01:24 PM
If the FCC was smart, they would out law all RF transmissions on all frequencies.

W3WN
06-20-2014, 02:06 PM
If the FCC was smart, they would out law all RF transmissions on all frequencies.Don't give them any ideas.

N8YX
06-20-2014, 02:59 PM
But...but...what of all those masterboaters just dying to be rescued at sea, and who are too cheap to buy an HF SSB Marine radio to call for help with?

Wait; wrong emergency. Nevermind...

K7SGJ
06-20-2014, 03:06 PM
But...but...what of all those masterboaters just dying to be rescued at sea, and who are too cheap to buy an HF SSB Marine radio to call for help with?

Shoot up a flare?

KJ3N
06-20-2014, 06:44 PM

Fuck 'em.

No Excuses...

kb2vxa
06-21-2014, 06:45 AM
So, Mr. Friebander (spelling intentional) thinks any plug 'n play ham's boner who has to buy a dipole in a bag because he can't understand 468/f (MHz) is qualified to certify a GMRS transmitter? This turkey goes in my FCC Funnies folder! Thanks for posting it, a morning without giggles is like a morning without sunshine, Florida OJ or OJ Simpson.

n2ize
06-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Only assed outs would use a Baofeng for GMRS. Lock out all thats illegal and "stanby foh furthah ohdars..."...

n2ize
06-23-2014, 10:49 PM
So, Mr. Friebander (spelling intentional) thinks any plug 'n play ham's boner who has to buy a dipole in a bag because he can't understand 468/f (MHz) is qualified to certify a GMRS transmitter? This turkey goes in my FCC Funnies folder! Thanks for posting it, a morning without giggles is like a morning without sunshine, Florida OJ or OJ Simpson.

Most hams are idiots who thing that just because they buy a toy radio they can use it anywhere. One of the reasons I hate hams.

KC2UGV
06-24-2014, 06:07 AM
Only assed outs would use a Baofeng for GMRS. Lock out all thats illegal and "stanby foh furthah ohdars..."...

Some Baofeng units are Part 90 certificated, and therefore fine to use on GMRS.

n2ize
06-29-2014, 01:09 AM

The problem with the Baofeng is that I can;t even use it as a public service monitor because it is capable of transmitting out of band as well as receiving. I had to lock down the vfo's and restrict them to the ham bands only. If I want to monitor public service I use the Yaesu which will receive out of band but will not transmit out of band. I use the Baofeng as a ham only radio.

KC2UGV
06-29-2014, 09:00 AM
The problem with the Baofeng is that I can;t even use it as a public service monitor because it is capable of transmitting out of band as well as receiving. I had to lock down the vfo's and restrict them to the ham bands only. If I want to monitor public service I use the Yaesu which will receive out of band but will not transmit out of band. I use the Baofeng as a ham only radio.

Then, I suppose you can't use any ham radio as a public service monitor, since many are capable of transmitting out of band.

Me? I program some of the local PS freqs into my 5R, and lock out transmit on there.

WN9HJW
06-29-2014, 09:08 AM

GMRS is Part 95, not Part 90.

KC2UGV
06-29-2014, 11:05 AM
GMRS is Part 95, not Part 90.

Very true, my mistake here. I was confused because many business radios (Part 90) are also certificated for Part 95.

n2ize
06-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Then, I suppose you can't use any ham radio as a public service monitor, since many are capable of transmitting out of band.

My Yaesu will not transmit on any of the P.S. frequencies. It will receive there but transmit is locked out. The Baofeng will transmit full power anywhere it can receive.

Me? I program some of the local PS freqs into my 5R, and lock out transmit on there.

I used the latest version of Chirp to program mine 5R and I didn't see a provision for locking out transmit. Where can I find this ?

KC2UGV
06-29-2014, 12:09 PM
My Yaesu will not transmit on any of the P.S. frequencies. It will receive there but transmit is locked out. The Baofeng will transmit full power anywhere it can receive.

Ok. I have a couple of transceivers that are ham radios, that transmit out of band.

I used the latest version of Chirp to program mine 5R and I didn't see a provision for locking out transmit. Where can I find this ?

Under the "Duplex" column. Put 0.000 in there.

n2ize
07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Ok. I have a couple of transceivers that are ham radios, that transmit out of band.

Under the "Duplex" column. Put 0.000 in there.

Ah, OK. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

OK I tried it and it works. Actually the "Duplex" column gives 4 options, +, - "none" and "off". Setting the channel to "off" prevents the unit from transmitting on the channel.