PDA

View Full Version : Guitars.

N7YA
06-18-2014, 07:51 AM
Lets talk about these wonderful devices!

I have been getting back in to playing regular guitar (the 6 string variety) lately. I have been playing guitar for as long as i have been playing bass and have a very bluesy/rock/jazzy-type, feel oriented style...by no means am i Steve Vai. Im more in the Carlos Santana range. Not great, but i dont suck. After 36 years, i had better not!

I have 5 guitars and 7 basses. The guitars i have are a Jackson Dinky customized by Jaime Naymes. He started by gutting it, setting it on fire, letting it burn then cleaning off the burnt stuff and lacquering it up, screwing some bolts into it, locking down the tremolo and putting everything back on. It has a repaired crack below the headstock, but its otherwise playable...ugly as hell, but good for metal. Trade bait for me.

Next, i have a Jackson Kelly. Red opaque finish with flame top, fast as hell and aggressive! Not my style of guitar. The case is huge! It was owned by Jason Tanzer for a metal act he was in. He bolted the strap right to the front of the guitar so he could swing it around his neck. That shit is goofy to me (and him too, but it was work). It will be trade bait as well.

I have a 2002 Tom Song custom solid body from Calgary. It was made by Tom before he sold off and split from his partner. Jason had it made for him for a tour he was on with a signed act...i had my eye on it since he left that band and traded away studio gear to get it. Its a very cool looking guitar, ash gray opaque finish over a flame top, dual humbuckers and plays like butter. Needs a little intonation work and some new strings...and that one is staying put!

Now my favorite, the vintage stuff. I have a late 40's/early 50's Silvertone acoustic Archtop. Needs a little bit of work to smooth out the working parts, but its perfectly playable. Here it is...

I also have a 1965 Silvertone 1446L semi hollowbody. It needs quite a bit of work (refret, neck tweaking, a spring for the Bigsby, clean up the tuners, electronics, etc...), but it would be worth it to get it done. Its the exact same guitar Chris Isaak plays. I got both of these from Tanzer at different times. The Archtop was his ex's family guitar, but she left it with him and i ended up with it in a trade. The 1446 he saw from the road at a garage sale when he was out driving...paid $35. I paid nothing because, like the Archtop, i had it thrown into a trade deal as a bonus. Fully functioning, ive seen them range between $800 and $1500. But i love those rockabilly guitars, so i would probably keep it anyway.

My basses are 3 Fenders. The two workhorses i gig and travel with, a pair of 2005 American Jazz Standards (with the S1 switch), and an American Deluxe P. I also have a Bunny Brunell 5-string fretless for jazz work. A 5 string Schecter rock bass i used on Industry's first album, a Washburn 6 string bass i also used on the first few tracks before a rain storm caved the roof of the practice room in and dumped water on it all night, thus warping and cracking the fretboard. Poopy thing to find the next day. And a stripped down hulk of an old 5 string Ibanez that i used to use in prog bands.

I will post pictures of all of them soon. I want to move a couple of these along so i can get another semi-hollow, old school rocker (think Gretsch). I just love those things!

I know there are quite a few musicians here. Please post your pics and stories, likes and dislikes, favorite instrument, etc...i love these kinds of things. Pics! :-D

N2NH
06-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Before Florida lightened my wallet and belongings, I had 2 regular guitars and 2 basses.

The first was a Ibanez Acoustic-Electric 6 string. It had a red burst body, 3 band equalizer on the pickup, round hole. Nice sound but one of the frets on the E string (the small one) was a bit buzzy if you didn't peg the string just right.

The second regular guitar was a chrome red Fender American Standard Strat. Pretty much standard.

The Basses - both were full scale (leaving the best for last):

The first was a Fender Zone 4 String, Mexican but played great. Black with active P-J pickups.

The other one was a Washburn Oscar Schmidt Delta King hollow-body 4 string bass in Blueburst. Twin pickups, and surprisingly great tone and sustain. Ebony wood fretboard - probably was one of a kind and was a steal on e-Bay. Just needed to straighten the neck for $20. The whole investment was under $200.

http://i59.tinypic.com/168vn10.jpg

*sigh*

Looking to get a Squier 6 string to replace the regular guitars and possibly a Dean Q5/6 for a bass eventually...

NQ6U
06-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Speaking as someone who's tried many times and even spent three years in his junior high and high school band before coming to the conclusion that he is not a musician, I just want to give Adam a hearty "fuck you, asshole" for being so good at it. Bastid.

N2NH
06-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Speaking as someone who's tried many times and was even spent three years in his junior high and high school band before coming to the conclusion that he is not a musician, I just want to give Adam a hearty "fuck you, asshole" for being so good at it. Bastid.

:rofl:

You'd hate me too. I can play regular and bass guitar by ear (hearing goes down to 4 Hz measured at a studion in the United Nations), and keyboard to some extent too...

I'm not a pro and I tip my hat to Adam for being able to do that. Not many of us get to do what we love and get paid for it too.

PS - Carlos Santana? That's a great sound Adam. :yes:

K7SGJ
06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Speaking as someone who's tried many times and even spent three years in his junior high and high school band before coming to the conclusion that he is not a musician, I just want to give Adam a hearty "fuck you, asshole" for being so good at it. Bastid.

When it comes to guitars, he is a little....................plucky.

KG4CGC
06-18-2014, 11:43 AM
I've noticed that quite a few Island members are literally, guitarded.

K7SGJ
06-18-2014, 11:44 AM
I've noticed that quite a few Island members are literally, guitarded.

Don't fret.

KG4CGC
06-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Don't fret.

You're a sharp one, F?

XE1/N5AL
06-18-2014, 11:56 AM
For three years, I played the string bass in my middle school orchestra. I was pretty bad at it, but I was the only bass player they had!

K0RGR
06-18-2014, 03:32 PM
I still have my Ovation Glen Campbell Edition 12 string with all the fancy dodads and gegaws on it. I sold my 1962 Stratocaster a couple years ago - it was in horrible condition but I got $8,000 for it anyway - if it had been in decent shape, it would have been more like $20K. Unfortunately, I have carpal tunnel in my left hand, and the pinky finger is too slow, so I don't play much anymore.

N7YA
06-18-2014, 05:34 PM
Before Florida lightened my wallet and belongings, I had 2 regular guitars and 2 basses.

The first was a Ibanez Acoustic-Electric 6 string. It had a red burst body, 3 band equalizer on the pickup, round hole. Nice sound but one of the frets on the E string (the small one) was a bit buzzy if you didn't peg the string just right.

The second regular guitar was a chrome red Fender American Standard Strat. Pretty much standard.

The Basses - both were full scale (leaving the best for last):

The first was a Fender Zone 4 String, Mexican but played great. Black with active P-J pickups.

The other one was a Washburn Oscar Schmidt Delta King hollow-body 4 string bass in Blueburst. Twin pickups, and surprisingly great tone and sustain. Ebony wood fretboard - probably was one of a kind and was a steal on e-Bay. Just needed to straighten the neck for $20. The whole investment was under $200.

http://i59.tinypic.com/168vn10.jpg

*sigh*

Looking to get a Squier 6 string to replace the regular guitars and possibly a Dean Q5/6 for a bass eventually...

I love that blue bass! And for $200?? I need to get into something like that. But i wouldnt be able to use it on my regular gig since the heat and cold would kill it. I swear, they dont want me to play indoors...i think its just an excuse to not let me in! :lol:

N7YA
06-18-2014, 05:38 PM

I humbly accept this. :)

Being a musician brings me the highest honors and respect in todays societ....ah, who am i kidding? I am not a DJ, therefore, i am nothing more than a shit relic. :lol:

KG4CGC
06-18-2014, 05:39 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Guitarded.jpg

N7YA

You'd hate me too. I can play regular and bass guitar by ear (hearing goes down to 4 Hz measured at a studion in the United Nations), and keyboard to some extent too...

I'm not a pro and I tip my hat to Adam for being able to do that. Not many of us get to do what we love and get paid for it too.

PS - Carlos Santana? That's a great sound Adam. :yes:

He plays PRS and has a great tone, i just cant stand him, so its not really a compliment as much as it is a way to say i am a really basic guitar player. :lol:

KG4CGC
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/moto_horiz.jpg

N7YA
06-18-2014, 05:41 PM
When it comes to guitars, he is a little....................plucky.

Dont get all strung out now, i had to hang my neck out there and get in tune with this before making my case.

KG4CGC
06-18-2014, 05:50 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Ibanez_new.jpg

K7SGJ
06-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Dont get all strung out now, i had to hang my neck out there and get in tune with this before making my case.

I'm glad you made the right pick, and were able to bridge that gap and make it a case closed.

KG4CGC
06-18-2014, 06:12 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/skeltarfull.jpg

N2NH
06-18-2014, 06:35 PM
I love that blue bass! And for $200?? I need to get into something like that. But i wouldnt be able to use it on my regular gig since the heat and cold would kill it. I swear, they dont want me to play indoors...i think its just an excuse to not let me in! :lol:

Yep, under $200 and it's unlikely I'll see its like again. The closest thing to it is the single cutaway Gretsch full scale hollow bass. For about 4 to 5 times more expensive. Well, eventually I might get one like it again, but they don't even come up on eBay anymore. Better yet, the guitar was made in Indonesia from native woods. That's probably why the tone was so great. I am so dying to wrap my hands around a guitar again I've been dreaming about it lately... but in the meantime, I've been memorizing notes to play by ear when I get one. ;)

Sound outdoors in the heat? That is tough on any instrument. You must have to retune before every show.

I suppose I could be a DJ. I have extensive board experience in nearly every form of music and have mike'd live events with Jazz bands as well as rock (Greenwich Village). Gives me an edge in playing as I can mic myself.

N2NH
06-18-2014, 06:41 PM
He plays PRS and has a great tone, i just cant stand him, so its not really a compliment as much as it is a way to say i am a really basic guitar player. :lol:

Santana is far from basic, you're much too modest. My style is pretty much just mimicking whatever bass-line I'm channeling at the time. I like the thump on U2 and the growl on Bowling for Soup. I have a bad habit of going a bit too low so I use headphones. The last time I practiced thru the speaker, half the block thought there was an earthquake. :lol:

NA4BH
06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
This is what the body of my Strat looked like, before some Asswipe decided to take it from me. This is not a picture of my actual guitar, only a reasonably facsimile there of.

http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-28708-0-16054500-1360332103.jpg

n2ize
06-18-2014, 10:24 PM

I am one up you you there. My hearing was tested at the National Bureau of standards. I can hear down to 0.25 Hz and up to 75,000 Hz.

NQ6U
06-18-2014, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Oj-eZqpHE

n2ize
06-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Did you ever see power lines vibrating in a strong wind ? Well, I can not only see them vibrate I can actually hear them vibrate. That is an example of how low my hearing levels go. When a suspension bridge sways in a strong wind I can actually hear the bridge.

KG4CGC
06-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Did you ever see power lines vibrating in a strong wind ? Well, I can not only see them vibrate I can actually hear them vibrate. That is an example of how low my hearing levels go. When a suspension bridge sways in a strong wind I can actually hear the bridge.

Have you considered the 84" gong?

XE1/N5AL
06-19-2014, 10:58 AM
I am one up you you there. My hearing was tested at the National Bureau of standards. I can hear down to 0.25 Hz and up to 75,000 Hz.
Eh? What's that. you say? I used to drive by their headquarters, outside of D.C., almost every day. Also, a former college classmate was the Director there, at the time. She's now the head of DARPA; where I think they are building Terminators, or something.

Does that count for at least a few bonus points in my favor?

N2NH
06-19-2014, 12:16 PM

I knew you looked familiar...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ASZI7BFBAEU/TMUlLFEGSRI/AAAAAAAAAHs/OtjsnuClQEc/s400/bat-boy.jpg

WØTKX
06-19-2014, 12:44 PM
The Ears of a Bushtit.

NA4BH
06-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Hear no more

K7SGJ
06-19-2014, 01:37 PM
You've heard it all.

W7XF
06-19-2014, 01:51 PM
:kiss: my bass!

N7YA
06-19-2014, 04:28 PM
:kiss: my bass!

If its a vintage AEB-1 with the original case...i just might!

N8OBM
06-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Baby pics of my kids? Rodger that! Stand by for pics of my guitars and basses.

I had a cool microphone find! I got a call from a friend about an RCA 74b it terrible shape. I re aligned the magnets, made a new ribbon, gave it a new cable, replaced the silk and straightened the grill. It's not museum quality but, it's working well. I didn't want to make it too clean so that I was afraid to use it.

Archie N8OBM

KG4CGC
06-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Baby pics of my kids? Rodger that! Stand by for pics of my guitars and basses.

I had a cool microphone find! I got a call from a friend about an RCA 74b it terrible shape. I re aligned the magnets, made a new ribbon, gave it a new cable, replaced the silk and straightened the grill. It's not museum quality but, it's working well. I didn't want to make it too clean so that I was afraid to use it.

Archie N8OBM

Find out if that 74b ever made a trip to France.

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Find out if that 74b ever made a trip to France.

Sadly, no way of knowing. I'm just glad the breath some life back into it.

Archie N8OBM

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Ok lets start with the guitars that live in the studiohttps://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12545&stc=1

From left to right, A 60's Hoyer bass West German made, Danelectro 6/12 double neck around 2000, 2003 faded sg with golden age pick ups, Ibanez atk 5 string bass, Hamer USA Daytona, Hamer Prototype bass- didn't make production, and lastly an 84 Ibanez Roadstar II MIJ with Fender american pickups.

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 01:12 AM
Ok two more live downstairs most of the time:

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12546&stc=1

A Guild Jumbo and a Martin D35

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Ok lets go upstairs now

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12547&stc=1

Hamer Echotone prototype. Note the trapeze tailpiece and lack of pickup switch. Gibson Trini Lopez. I think it's a 73. 1968 ES335, and lastly an Epiphone Joe Pass.

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 01:24 AM
More guitars:

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12548&stc=1

Left to right again. Hamer Artist custom. 1978 Hamer Sunburst, one of the first 500 guitars they made. 1982 Epiphone Spirit II CMT. it's rare, One of the last guitars made in Kalamazoo Mi at the old Gibson plant. The next year they moved production to Nashville and gave this model a Gibson Logo. Hamer FM Special.

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 01:35 AM
One more for tonight, however there are more to come.

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12549&stc=1

Takamine EG531sc. The twin of our singers guitar. Last week hers was stolen out of car. GRRR! Ovation USA I believe it's a balladeer. Fender FM53. 1973 Gibson Humming Bird. This guitar was owned by Ted Nugent and was sold as part of a big gear dump he did through Al Nali music when he was having his tax problems. I'll never part with it cause it must cause him a little grief to know that one of his guitars is in the hands of liberal. More to come but enough for tonight....

N7YA
06-20-2014, 05:17 AM
Outstanding, Archie!

I nailed all of them except the mandolin by the picture alone. The Gibson caught my eye in particular, didnt know it had a famous douchebag backround. :lol:

N7YA
06-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Ok lets start with the guitars that live in the studiohttps://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12545&stc=1

From left to right, A 60's Hoyer bass West German made, Danelectro 6/12 double neck around 2000, 2003 faded sg with golden age pick ups, Ibanez atk 5 string bass, Hamer USA Daytona, Hamer Prototype bass- didn't make production, and lastly an 84 Ibanez Roadstar II MIJ with Fender american pickups.

Awesome collection!

N7YA
06-20-2014, 05:20 AM
Ok lets go upstairs now

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12547&stc=1

Hamer Echotone prototype. Note the trapeze tailpiece and lack of pickup switch. Gibson Trini Lopez. I think it's a 73. 1968 ES335, and lastly an Epiphone Joe Pass.

I know you already posted pics of your guitars...but im going to post them again.

By the way, THESE are the kind of guitars i like. Especially the one on the right.

K7SGJ
06-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Huh. I can't seem to see any of the pix, again. Does someone have the RAT filter engaged?

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Ok here I go with the rest

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12553&stc=1

Left to right again. Levinson Blade Vintage. G+L SC3 with lace sensors. American standard strat with lace sensors. Rickenbaker 330.

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
And yet more

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12554&stc=1

The odd balls left to right. Late 50's Silvertone. 1969 or 1970 Gibson Les Paul Recording. Gretsch 6118 Tennessee Rose. 70's Ovation Bread Winner.

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 11:03 AM
And still more

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12555&stc=1

The Telecasters. From left to right. The full bastard strat/tele from hell. Boogie bodies body, allparts neck, Kahler tailpiece and Old dimarzio PAF pickups. Parts caster Tele setup with heavy strings and tuned to C. 80's Fernandez TE2 Japanese production just post lawsuit. Fender Roadworn 50's Tele. I've played this next to my friends 53 and it's scary how close fender got with this series. 1996 Fender Telecaster with B Bender.

KG4CGC
06-20-2014, 11:16 AM
N8OBM, you sir, are the most guitarded of all.

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Ok now for the basses

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12556&stc=1

Left to right. Hamer Chaparral 12 string. just what you need for those Cheap trick, Pearl Jam, or Kings X covers. 67 or 68 Hagstrom 8 string. Can you say "Spanish Castle Magic?". 1963 Fender P bass. Plug this into my old B15 Portaflex and stand by for Duck tone. 70's Music Man Sabre. Late 90's Fender Jazz Bass. It's the discontinued Mexican Deluxe series. Mexican body and neck with US electronics. Laying Down in front is a Hamer Cruise set neck 4 string. Some one pulled the frets, planed the fret board, and put marine epoxy over it. I got it with the intent of restoring it but, I found I liked it just as it is. It's got character.

The 63 P Bass has a cool story with it. As you might expect after all those years and notes It needed a refret job. I took to a fellow in Ypsilanti township who does great fretwork. On the day that I picked it up there was an other old fender P bass on his bench. It was a sunburst with a rosewood fret board and a sponge under the bridge to mute the strings. That's right folks, a sponge. Bob Babbits Bass was in front of me. All the guitars from the famous Funk Brothers were going though his shop to get tuned up before they shot Standing in the shadows of Motown. I touched Bob Babbits Bass. To a bass player, that's like a pilgrim touching the Shroud of Turin. I found Mecca 50 miles outside of Detroit.

Well that's it for now. I actually have 6 more instruments that are either at Danny's studio ( we are working on a project. ) or in our rehearsal space. They include 3 strats, an Ibanez AS120 ES335 thing, an Aria solid body acoustic, and a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass.

Just for the record, I often get asked Are you a bass player or a guitar player. My standard response is "whats the gig?". I don't generally tell folks that I also play guitar when I go for a bass gig. It's usually a bad thing when a guitar player plays bass. Somehow, I seem to be an exception. I started in several bands playing bass and when they finally heard me play guitar they got a new bass player. I picked up the bass because The bass players I was working with in high school were playing the dang thing like it was a big guitar instead of the glorious thing that bass is. It's a different muscle that playing guitar. I love playing bass. Locking in with the drummer. I always watch the drummer like a hawk when I play. It's almost as much fun as playing drums.

That's it folks. Today is my 50th birthday. I'm going to round up some of the neighborhood kids so I can yell at them to get off the lawn...

Archie N8OBM

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 12:16 PM
I know you already posted pics of your guitars...but im going to post them again.

By the way, THESE are the kind of guitars i like. Especially the one on the right.
Nah, The two you really want to play are the two in the middle.

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 12:23 PM
N8OBM, you sir, are the most guitarded of all.

Guilty as charged. I do have a bad case of G.A.S. or Gear Acquisition Syndrome. That said as much as I play live I always have a back up of the guitar in question 'cus, strings do break. So if I need a tele and les paul like thing to do the gig I bring a back up for each so I can quick change if, no WHEN a string breaks and I always have a back up amp in the van or trailer depending on the size of the gig. Simply put, stuff breaks. usually when you least want it to.

BTW I know people who have collection 2 and 3 times or more larger. That's scary!

Archie N8OBM

KG4CGC
06-20-2014, 01:32 PM
<snip>
BTW I know people who have collection 2 and 3 times or more larger. That's scary!

Archie N8OBM

You mean a pawn shop?
LOL :)

N8OBM
06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
You mean a pawn shop?
LOL :)

Nope, I mean real people who play them. I have a better inventory than the local pawn shop.

Archie N8OBM

N7YA
06-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Damn, Archie....well, i WAS going to post pics of the rest of my guitars. At least the pressure is off now. :lol:

N2NH
06-20-2014, 09:24 PM
That's a heck of a collection. Guitar heaven.

KG4CGC
06-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Nope, I mean real people who play them. I have a better inventory than the local pawn shop.

Archie N8OBM

I bought a guitar from a pawn shop in 1991. Payed a hundred bucks for it. Still have it. Made in Korea in the 80s. No name on it but the action is awesome. Tried to get a couple of musicians I knew to teach me a few basics. They said, "Just listen it out." I never learned to read music. I should pick it up again. Maybe I've absorbed some knowledge by now.
Last time I ran it into the phono amp in my old Zenith Trans Oceanic and then ran that to into a small box amp.