PDA

View Full Version : New Coke Being Test Marketed

N2NH
06-17-2014, 04:23 PM
So far it's been released in South America and is about to be marketed in the UK, but with sales flagging, it probably will make an appearance here. Soon. The can has the familiar "Coca Cola" logo with "Life" in script underneath. And there's one other big change.

The can is lime green.

...a small green can that most American visitors won't recognize: Coca-Cola Life, a stevia-sweetened version of regular Coca-Cola.

Coca-Cola has been quietly test-marketing its new beverage, the first addition to the trademark "Coke" branded sodas in almost eight years. It released the drink in Argentina and Chile last year, and this fall it's launching in the U.K (https://www.bing.com/search?q=united%20kingdom&filters=ufn%3a%22united%20kingdom%22+sid%3a%22b1a5 155a-6bb2-4646-8f7c-3e6b3a53c831%22&FORM=BWEMON).

Coke Life isn't exactly a diet drink. According to (http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/11/coca-cola-fewer-calories-less-sugar) TheGuardian, it contains more than four tablespoons of real sugar and has about 89 calories per can -- less than the 140 calories found in a can of regular Coke, but hardly something that will be championed by the quinoa crowd.

Instead, Coke Life is Coca-Cola's answer to the two health concerns that have been hitting the company’s soda sales with a one-two punch: the anti-sugar movement, which rails against its full-calorie, full-sugar line of beverages, and the perception that artificial sweeteners such as aspartame (found in both Diet Coke and Coke Zero) are unhealthy and can even contribute to weight gain.

Coke Life, is this Coke for the 21st Century?

Coca-Cola quietly tests new soda as sales slide (http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post--coca-cola-quietly-tests-new-soda-as-sales-slide)http://i57.tinypic.com/34q6b6f.jpg
http://www.ramblingbarba.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Coke-Life.jpg

KG4CGC
06-17-2014, 04:27 PM
They need to also remove the "caramel" coloring.

W7XF
06-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Here we go again. CCE didn't learn their lesson in the early '80s. Maybe this will push McYukkys, et.al enough to switch to Pepsi or RC.

KG4CGC
06-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Here we go again. CCE didn't learn their lesson in the early '80s. Maybe this will push McYukkys, et.al enough to switch to Pepsi or RC.

I think the difference this time is that they're not pushing "New Coke" as the only choice in Coke. Like they did the last time.

n6hcm
06-18-2014, 01:30 AM
stevia? meh.

n2ize
06-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Most of the health concerns over aspartane are overblown and perpetrated by the same people that basically condemn all pharmaceuticals, all GMO products, etc. My issue with aspartame is that it tastes horrible. It leaves a nasty aftertaste. I don't care for stevia much either. The best sweetener in my opinion is sugar but it's not the best thing to consume lots of it and diabetics must avoid it. Then again, I hardly ever drink soda anyway so none of this matters much to me. In fact my preferred refreshment is water.

If they want a real product they should put some actual coca in it...

NQ6U
06-18-2014, 09:30 AM
After watching Breaking Bad, I'm not so sure I like the idea of stevia in anything.

XE1/N5AL
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Mexico gulps down a lot of Coca Cola, more than any other country in the world! Obesity is a "huge" problem here and the Mexican government is trying to change the population's eating habits. This January, new taxes targeting junk food and soft drinks came into effect. As a result, these products cost a little bit more. A kinder, friendlier, less sugar-charged Coca Cola product might stave off similar product attacks in other countries.

But realistically, a long-time consumer of a particular soft-drink is not going to change his old habits. If the new product doesn't taste exactly like the current one, he will reject it. A new generation of young Coca Cola drinkers might really go for new stuff, in the green can.

HUGH
06-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Huh! Weren't Coca Cola the company that bottled London tap water to sell as "Mineral Water" with a huge markup?

KG4CGC
06-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Huh! Weren't Coca Cola the company that bottled London tap water to sell as "Mineral Water" with a huge markup?

They did the same thing with Atlanta tap water.

XE1/N5AL
06-19-2014, 03:28 PM
In his wilder days, my youngest son racked up enough traffic violations to earn himself some quality community service time, at a county water treatment plant, in the Atlanta area. One look and he quickly vowed to never drink tap water again!

kb2crk
06-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Most of the health concerns over aspartane are overblown and perpetrated by the same people that basically condemn all pharmaceuticals, all GMO products, etc. My issue with aspartame is that it tastes horrible. It leaves a nasty aftertaste. I don't care for stevia much either. The best sweetener in my opinion is sugar but it's not the best thing to consume lots of it and diabetics must avoid it. Then again, I hardly ever drink soda anyway so none of this matters much to me. In fact my preferred refreshment is water.

If they want a real product they should put some actual coca in it...

Too bad that most soda does not contain sugar. It has High Fructose Corn Syrup which is cheaper and is worse for diabetics.

kb2crk
06-19-2014, 07:39 PM

It's called Dasani.....

W7XF
06-20-2014, 08:02 AM
They did the same thing with Atlanta tap sewer water.

Fixed!

W7XF
06-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Too bad that most soda does not contain sugar. It has High Fructose Corn Syrup which is cheaper and is worse for diabetics.

That slop needs to be banned!!!! At least the Coca Cola made in Messico has real cane sugar in it!!! And, IIRC, sugar is MUCH cheaper than HFCS in XE-land.

kb2vxa
06-20-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't drink New Coke, Class Sick Coke, Die It Coke, or snort coke, so DILLIGAF? Since I'm taking pain killers I can't drink beer at the Farts of July BBQ this year, Boot Beer if they have it, or maybe a little Poopsi since Coke tastes too nasty to drink ANY time.

K0RGR
06-20-2014, 03:24 PM
I bought a stevia-sweetened cola a while ago, and unless this Coke is much better, I'll pass. I really shouldn't drink cola at all, and I proved to myself that drinking any diet cola does make you hungrier. I know if I just drink water, I don't get nearly as hungry.

I don't think it matters if it's stevia, or aspartame or saccharine or any of the other artificial sweeteners out there. Drinking any sweetened beverage makes you hungry, and doesn't quench your thirst as well as plain water. There is also research that seems to indicate that aspartame IS digested by the body - it converts into alcohols that raise your triglycerides, and actually do contribute calories. I also think corn sweetener is partly responsible for the obesity epidemic that really took off after it replaced cane sugar in most processed foods and beverages - but Monsanto and others have spent hundreds of million if not billions of dollars to convince us otherwise.

HUGH
06-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Sucralose is the general sweetener thing here, it's entirely synthetic in spite of the name and supposedly safe.

I'm concerned that there is a move for the UK government to place a tax on products containg sugar (too many busybodies as usual) so manufacturers could use any old stuff as a sugar substitute, some of which is detrimental to health and tastes awful too. Saccharine always smells like those moth deterrent rings that Grandma used to put in her wardrobe. Anyway I like my cane (and beet) sugar but don't have a weight or diabetes problem so am lucky.

n2ize
06-23-2014, 10:29 PM

Actually sugar is sugar. HFCS is not worst for diabetics. Diabetics should be avoiding all sugars and most carbs,

n2ize
06-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Like I said. Coca Cola should loose the sugar, loose most of the cola and go heavy on the coca.

NQ6U
06-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Like I said. Coca Cola should loose the sugar, loose most of the cola and go heavy on the coca.

What you're talking about is widely available on urban street corners in a convenient power form.

WX7P
06-23-2014, 10:46 PM

I dunno. "Loose" sugar is pretty dangerous stuff. Gets all over the floor.

n2ize
06-23-2014, 10:52 PM
I dunno. "Loose" sugar is pretty dangerous stuff. Gets all over the floor.

Okay then. Lose sugar and loose coca. ;)

KG4CGC
06-24-2014, 01:07 AM
Actually sugar is sugar. HFCS is not worst for diabetics. Diabetics should be avoiding all sugars and most carbs,

Uh, yes it is. Sugar, real cane sugar (sucrose) does not break down as fast as fructose. Think of fructose as the crack cocaine of sugars. The faster breakdown rate is harder on the organs that handle simple carbohydrates. It's like OD'ing on sugar. Manufacturers use more of it, people consume more of it in general since it's in everything and that's why it causes diabetes at a faster rate that sucrose. The only thing worse is alcohol, also a "sugar" but obviously not a sweetener. Now look at drink mixers, made with HFCS and combined with alcohol. Is it any wonder people can't drink like they used to, back in the 50s and WWII?

Now, I can't explain this but HFCS also tricks the brain into making you think you're more hungry, more often. You eat more and you crave more sweets. AH!

n2ize
06-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Uh, yes it is. Sugar, real cane sugar (sucrose) does not break down as fast as fructose. Think of fructose as the crack cocaine of sugars. The faster breakdown rate is harder on the organs that handle simple carbohydrates. It's like OD'ing on sugar. Manufacturers use more of it, people consume more of it in general since it's in everything and that's why it causes diabetes at a faster rate that sucrose. The only thing worse is alcohol, also a "sugar" but obviously not a sweetener. Now look at drink mixers, made with HFCS and combined with alcohol. Is it any wonder people can't drink like they used to, back in the 50s and WWII?

Now, I can't explain this but HFCS also tricks the brain into making you think you're more hungry, more often. You eat more and you crave more sweets. AH!

I have actually read research that suggests the opposite. Let me track it down. I'ts been a while since.

KG4CGC
06-24-2014, 10:14 PM
I have actually read research that suggests the opposite. Let me track it down. I'ts been a while since.

I would question its origins. Back when the HFCS association was running those commercials on TV with perfect thin people in a corn field saying "sugar is sugar", I questioned it and discovered that fructose (HFCS) breaks down faster. I will read whatever you find on it though.
To be sure, I am not a scientist and while I am familiar with the scientific method, I am a skeptic.

N2NH
06-25-2014, 01:18 PM
I would question its origins. Back when the HFCS association was running those commercials on TV with perfect thin people in a corn field saying "sugar is sugar", I questioned it and discovered that fructose (HFCS) breaks down faster. I will read whatever you find on it though.
To be sure, I am not a scientist and while I am familiar with the scientific method, I am a skeptic.

I am also a skeptic, in fact Charles, your mentioning skeptic brought me to look at their site, one of (Westchester) Johns oft-quoted sites:

Taubes considers fructose to be a serious contributor to being overweight. He quotes biochemists who called it the most “lipogenic” of carbohydrates, the one converted most easily to fat. Many of us are aware of, and try to avoid, the high-fructose corn syrup in sodas and other products.

From Skeptic: Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It, (http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-01-05/#)A review of a book and yes, HFCS is in it. (http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-01-05/#)

Scroll down a bit.

KG4CGC
06-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Yes, maybe the terms I'm using are not exactly getting across. I say ''breaks down faster.'' Maybe I should say, "turns into fat much easier and quicker while damaging the organs that handle sugar." Diabetes. Alcohol, dare I say it, might even be safer than HFCS.

n2ize
07-16-2014, 04:20 AM

Yeah, I have heard the same thing. Although I do recall reading one study that claimed HFCS is safer for diabetics than regular "sugar" which is actually a mixture of "sugars". But I don;t know if the study was acepted. The consensus still seems to be that HFCS is worst for diabetics.

Like I said, I would go for Coca Cola if they back way off on the HFCS and put in the coca. It would be a nice morning "pick me up" drink without the long lasting side effects of coffee and caffeine. But the DEA will never go for it.

KG4CGC
07-20-2014, 04:44 AM
Although I do recall reading one study that claimed HFCS is safer for diabetics than regular "sugar" which is actually a mixture of "sugars".Was it the same study Dr. Oz used on TV to dupe millions?

N2NH
07-20-2014, 06:37 AM
http://i57.tinypic.com/53v58m.gif

n2ize
07-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Was it the same study Dr. Oz used on TV to dupe millions?

I don't know. I read it on a science/medicine based website that is usually pretty reliable. The rationale for the argument seemed to make sense. Then again, I am not a biologist nor do I know much about biology so I am hardly a suitable judge.

K7SGJ
07-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't know. I read it on a science/medicine based website that is usually pretty reliable. The rationale for the argument seemed to make sense. Then again, I am not a biologist nor do I know much about biology so I am hardly a suitable judge.

But have you ever played one?