PDA

View Full Version : Dutch scientists teleport data

PA5COR
06-05-2014, 02:32 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/04/1304481/-Looks-like-Einstein-was-Wrong-about-Quantum-Entanglement

What the Dutch physicists did involved something called quantum entanglement, which Einstein once described as "spooky action at a distance,"€ a term that pretty much describes what it is. Entangled particles are sort of the dysfunctional couples of quantum physics. You know that long-distance relationship you had in college that didn'€™t really work out and every time you and your significant other got on the phone or exchanged an e-mail you wound up getting into a fight and feeling a whole lot lousier than you did five minutes before? That's action at a distance.
[...] The point is, the Delft researchers proved the principle by isolating target entangled electrons inside two supercooled diamonds placed 10 meters -- or 33 ft. -- apart, creating what one of the physicists described as "miniprisons"€ for them. They then manipulated their spin rate and determined that the behavior of one indeed continued to determine the spin of the other, and vice versa, even at that distance. Something similar had been achieved before, in 2009, by University of Maryland researchers, but the experiment worked only one out of every 100 million attempts. This one succeeded 100% of the time. Next, the Dutch plan to expand their work -- literally -- trying to see if the quantum entanglement holds at a distance of 1 kilometer, or .62 mi.

KK4AMI
06-05-2014, 05:15 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/04/1304481/-Looks-like-Einstein-was-Wrong-about-Quantum-Entanglement

What the Dutch physicists did involved something called quantum entanglement, which Einstein once described as "spooky action at a distance," a term that pretty much describes what it is. Entangled particles are sort of the dysfunctional couples of quantum physics. You know that long-distance relationship you had in college that didn't really work out and every time you and your significant other got on the phone or exchanged an e-mail you wound up getting into a fight and feeling a whole lot lousier than you did five minutes before? That's action at a distance.
[...] The point is, the Delft researchers proved the principle by isolating target entangled electrons inside two supercooled diamonds placed 10 meters -- or 33 ft. -- apart, creating what one of the physicists described as "miniprisons" for them. They then manipulated their spin rate and determined that the behavior of one indeed continued to determine the spin of the other, and vice versa, even at that distance. Something similar had been achieved before, in 2009, by University of Maryland researchers, but the experiment worked only one out of every 100 million attempts. This one succeeded 100% of the time. Next, the Dutch plan to expand their work -- literally -- trying to see if the quantum entanglement holds at a distance of 1 kilometer, or .62 mi.

Careful, if they accidentally turn Netherlands into a Black hole, your radio hobby is over! ;)

PA5COR
06-05-2014, 07:36 AM
I'll grease the radio waves so they can get out then ;)

N2NH
06-05-2014, 07:44 AM
This shows that the Maryland experiment is reproducible. It also seems that they were aiming a bit too high to begin with. It I recall, they were attempting to do this over a much greater distance. Well, transporting, which is what this is leading to (as in Doctor Who and Star Trek) should beat 10 hours of flying anyday.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/space-balls-mel-brooks.jpg

NQ6U
06-05-2014, 10:03 AM
I could be wrong, but I think stating that they "teleported data" is incorrect. My understanding was that no information could be passed using this method.

PA5COR
06-05-2014, 10:29 AM
The Dutch scientists did just that, data was moved from one place to another place and not using any transportation system.

N2NH
06-05-2014, 10:44 AM
The Dutch scientists did just that, data was moved from one place to another place and not using any transportation system.

That means it's likely that it happened FTL - Faster Than Light. That's pretty mind-boggling.

PA5COR
06-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Yep, about 160 times the speed of light it was calculated.

NQ6U
06-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Daily Kos isn't exactly an authoritative source on science topics so I've been trying to find a better source. There is a surprisingly small amount of info about this but claims made in the Delft group's own press release are far more modest than was stated on DK. You can download it in PDF form (http://hansonlab.tudelft.nl/teleportation/) from their site.

KC9SQR
06-05-2014, 02:12 PM
VERY interesting read....
First thing I thought to myself when reading the title of this thread was "They invented a new internet?" lol

n2ize
06-05-2014, 03:24 PM
I could be wrong, but I think stating that they "teleported data" is incorrect. My understanding was that no information could be passed using this method.

sure it could. if the spin rate of one electron can be made to correspond to the spin rate of another a distance away you can use that property to transfer data by implying meaning to the spin rate. of course this may be overly simplified. Non-scientific media, such as huff-puff, tends to muddle things.

n2ize
06-05-2014, 03:30 PM
This shows that the Maryland experiment is reproducible. It also seems that they were aiming a bit too high to begin with. It I recall, they were attempting to do this over a much greater distance. Well, transporting, which is what this is leading to (as in Doctor Who and Star Trek) should beat 10 hours of flying anyday.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/space-balls-mel-brooks.jpg

I thought K1MAN disproved relativity years ago via his own peer reviewed research (peer reviewed by himself) at his own self proclaimed "physics university". :snicker:

WTKX
06-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Entanglement can transfer information, not matter.

Sounds like the "ansible" of Sci Fi fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible

N2NH
06-05-2014, 07:48 PM
VERY interesting read....
First thing I thought to myself when reading the title of this thread was "They invented a new internet?" lol

First things that I thought were they opened up a new Ham Band?

Followed by, now we can communicate with alien species with FTL communications. And we already know how (but I will not say as it will likely get me in trouble).

One immediate application that I can see is to set two electrons into sync like this and transmit information in real time. This would work very well with spacecraft as in Pioneer and Voyager which are extremely far from earth. The limitations of radio waves traveling at light speed might take over a year to reach them once they reach +1 light year away. We have theoretical spacecraft that can travel at a sizable fraction of the speed of light (we have the technology, but still haven't built them). This would also work well on them.

WTKX
06-05-2014, 08:18 PM
CQ DX?

N2NH
06-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Hello?

NQ6U
06-05-2014, 11:15 PM
CQ DX?

Trouble with calling CQ with quantum entanglement is that your call is received before you send it. Talk about confusing...

kb2vxa
06-06-2014, 02:41 AM
"Followed by, now we can communicate with alien species with FTL communications."

Captain, message coming in from Starfleet on subspace channel D.

XE1/N5AL
06-06-2014, 03:15 AM
Captain, message coming in from Starfleet on subspace channel D.

Isn't that the old "Class-D" CB band?

kb2vxa
06-06-2014, 08:45 PM
That depends on the crystal in channel D.

NQ6U
06-06-2014, 08:48 PM
That depends on the crystal in channel D.

Dilithium crystals are best for subspace.

WTKX
06-06-2014, 11:20 PM
http://bedazzled.blogs.com/.a/6a00d834524bea69e2015391fd498a970b-580wi

n2ize
06-07-2014, 12:08 AM
First things that I thought were they opened up a new Ham Band?

Followed by, now we can communicate with alien species with FTL communications. And we already know how (but I will not say as it will likely get me in trouble).

Yes, FTL communications are not new. There are several ways it is already being done. But I can't discuss it further. Let's just say contacts with aliens have already been established decades ago via FTL COM. This will just take it to the next level. There is a lot of science known that you won't find in any science books and which our top academic researchers will never even know about.

N2NH
06-07-2014, 12:09 AM
If Cors story is right about the signal being 16X FTL, then the Voyager 1 spacecraft which is 11,837,000,000 miles from the sun is about 7.4 light days away. Instead of taking a week for radio signals to reach it, with this method of data transference, it would take a little over 11 hours to send a signal to it. Theoretically that should be even faster but there might be unanticipated limits on the speed of transmission. Eventually, it might even take less power than brute force radio signals sent over an array of dish antennas.

n2ize
06-07-2014, 12:12 AM
If Cor is right then the Voyager 1 spacecraft which is 11,837,000,000 miles from the sun is about 7.4 light days away. Instead of taking a week for radio signals to reach it, with this method of data transference, it would take a little over 11 hours to send a signal to it. Theoretically that should be even faster but there might be unanticipated limits on the speed of transmission.

They are already doing it. FTL tech is nothing new. Cor's theory will simply make it even faster.