PDA

View Full Version : It is time to pick up stakes and move

KK4AMI
06-04-2014, 06:47 PM
I have the wonder lust like some of you. Yup! In the Spirit of N7YA and his significant other, my wife and I decided it was time to leave Charlottesville, VA. next spring. We want to live somewhere on the water, but still out in the middle of no where. The Chesapeake Bay was our first choice along Mobjack Bay in Mathews County, but I found out how much hurricane, flood and homeowners insurance was. (ouch). Instead we are more likely to be headed down to the Albemarle Sound in North Carolina. It is a tiny town called Hertford along the Perquimans River. The insurance is much better there. The river is fresh water as is the sound, but it leads out to the ocean. All of Perquimans County has a population of 13,000 people. Hertford is the birth place of "Catfish Hunter" and the burial place of Wolfman Jack. Plus we have a short trip to get to the Outer Banks.

This will be "the" getting ready for "old age" last move, cutting back to 1/2 an acre and a newer house that an old man can't get hurt while taking care of it. All I want to do is fish, fish and radio. I'll have to work a different antenna, no more 300 footer ;). Oh ya, I told the wife no HOA home. She wanted the pool and tennis courts.

I'll hate leaving Virginia, but then I have lived in Pennsylvania, Ohio, California, Florida so what's one more State. I have about 6 months to get this house ready to sell. Oh the Pain!

K7SGJ
06-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Live on the water? How about Bora Bora?

KK4AMI
06-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Live on the water? How about Bora Bora?

I thought North Carolina was remote enough. :lol:

Plus I can't drive a U-Haul there!

NA4BH
06-04-2014, 07:19 PM
If you drive the U-haul to Bora Bora, they won't come looking for it.

KC2UGV
06-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Finger Lakes region has that, if you are willing to live with snow.

KK4AMI
06-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Finger Lakes region has that, if you are willing to live with snow.

Ha! I married a Richmond Girl. According to her only Santa Claus lives above the Mason Dixon.

kb2vxa
06-05-2014, 01:03 AM
So, you want to live on the water, enjoy fishing and playing radio free from CC&Rs, HOA Nazis, and enjoy your Golden Years. Let me introduce you to KK4AMI/MM for your approval.

N7YA
06-05-2014, 04:52 AM
I have the wonder lust like some of you. Yup! In the Spirit of N7YA and his significant other, my wife and I decided it was time to leave Charlottesville, VA. next spring. We want to live somewhere on the water, but still out in the middle of no where. The Chesapeake Bay was our first choice along Mobjack Bay in Mathews County, but I found out how much hurricane, flood and homeowners insurance was. (ouch). Instead we are more likely to be headed down to the Albemarle Sound in North Carolina. It is a tiny town called Hertford along the Perquimans River. The insurance is much better there. The river is fresh water as is the sound, but it leads out to the ocean. All of Perquimans County has a population of 13,000 people. Hertford is the birth place of "Catfish Hunter" and the burial place of Wolfman Jack. Plus we have a short trip to get to the Outer Banks.

This will be "the" getting ready for "old age" last move, cutting back to 1/2 an acre and a newer house that an old man can't get hurt while taking care of it. All I want to do is fish, fish and radio. I'll have to work a different antenna, no more 300 footer ;). Oh ya, I told the wife no HOA home. She wanted the pool and tennis courts.

I'll hate leaving Virginia, but then I have lived in Pennsylvania, Ohio, California, Florida so what's one more State. I have about 6 months to get this house ready to sell. Oh the Pain!

/\ /\ /\ Pretty much all of this.

Good luck to you and the Missus, Mike, you are doing the right thing. We want a more natural life, connected to the land and time for our simple interests. The pull to leave here is strong enough that i am forcing myself into semi-retirement from my rock star job. If i can find some jazz players, or even a good classic rock or country band up there that can use a guy with a shitload of experience, i will be a happy man. The town we are moving to is a gorgeous little place, check it out...

http://www.belfastmaine.org/

....VERY milktoast! Lots of honkey, pastey white folk of the friendly variety. Strongly connected to their Celtic Irish roots without all the 'Seig Heil' bullshit. They are basically happy folk...like, happy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrspl3qhbHs

Wait, thats Belfast, Ireland's video. Those folks are quite hip looking. THIS is the video of where we are headed...

http://wabi.tv/2014/05/02/happy-dancers-take-belfast/

Fishing, Lobstering, farmers markets and radio. :)

KK4AMI
06-05-2014, 04:56 AM
Wow, that one probably does have some flood insurance issues.

N7YA
06-05-2014, 05:02 AM
I put the wrong video up there. I wanted the one with the news story...they gave me Pharrell's actual video.

The right one is there now. Its so hokey that its awkward to watch. :lol:

KK4AMI
06-05-2014, 05:06 AM
/\ /\ /\ Pretty much all of this.

Good luck to you and the Missus, Mike, you are doing the right thing. We want a more natural life, connected to the land and time for our simple interests. The pull to leave here is strong enough that i am forcing myself into semi-retirement from my rock star job. If i can find some jazz players, or even a good classic rock or country band up there that can use a guy with a shitload of experience, i will be a happy man. The town we are moving to is a gorgeous little place, check it out...

http://www.belfastmaine.org/

....VERY milktoast! Lots of honkey, pastey white folk of the friendly variety. Strongly connected to their Celtic Irish roots without all the 'Seig Heil' bullshit. They are basically happy folk...like, happy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrspl3qhbHs

Wait, thats Belfast, Ireland's video. Those folks are quite hip looking. THIS is the video of where we are headed...

http://wabi.tv/2014/05/02/happy-dancers-take-belfast/

Fishing, Lobstering, farmers markets and radio. :)

Wow, I didn't know you were going to tempt the Global Warming issue as well :lol:. I wanna be close enough to measure the water rise! I think our local music is Blue Grass.

I'll be doing a slight variation "Fishing, Crabbing, farmers market and radio"

http://townofhertfordnc.com/

N7YA
06-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Wow, I didn't know you were going to tempt the Global Warming issue as well :lol:. I wanna be close enough to measure the water rise! I think our local music is Blue Grass.

I'll be doing a slight variation "Fishing, Crabbing, farmers market and radio"

http://townofhertfordnc.com/

Thats really nice! History, ghosties, fishing and being "The Land of Beautiful Women". :agree:

KK4AMI
06-05-2014, 07:20 AM
"The Land of Beautiful Women". :agree:

I used this argument to convince my wife she would fit right in to the neighborhood! :yes::heart::awww:

N7YA
06-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Smart man! Usually, info like that would have a wife dragging you the other direction.

N2NH
06-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Good luck with your move. I made mine a couple of years ago and never looked back. It's not Down East like Adam's new QTH, but you can go anywhere in a half-hour or less and still live in the middle of nowhere. You ought to have a great ground. Hams who lived in the Rockaways, NY had the best signals in the area due to the high water table.

I hear they have palm trees in that area too. Good luck also with sea level rise. It's why I'm in the mountains. I could see it happening.

KK4AMI
06-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Good luck with your move. I made mine a couple of years ago and never looked back. It's not Down East like Adam's new QTH, but you can go anywhere in a half-hour or less and still live in the middle of nowhere. You ought to have a great ground. Hams who lived in the Rockaways, NY had the best signals in the area due to the high water table.

I hear they have palm trees in that area too. Good luck also with sea level rise. It's why I'm in the mountains. I could see it happening.

The beach has palm trees, we have Cypress!

YeeHaw, Catfish Noodling!

N7YA
06-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Try Lobster Noodling! :lol:

N2NH
06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Awright, WTF is "noodling?" :lol:

K7SGJ
06-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Awright, WTF is "noodling?" :lol:

It's a little like spooning; made famous by a guy named Al Dente.

NQ6U
06-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Wow, that one probably does have some flood insurance issues.

Yeah, but let's keep our priorities straight—if that's salt water it's sitting on, think of the propagation advantages.

K7SGJ
06-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah, but let's keep our priorities straight—if that's salt water it's sitting on, think of the propagation advantages.

Saltwater makes you have more yutes? Who Gnu?

N2NH
06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
It's a little like spooning; made famous by a guy named Al Dente.

Al Dente? :rofl: Hmmm... I looked it up. What's there is online is actually more confusing than what you posted. Must be something I'm not ready to know. The arcane art of noodling. Anything like canoodling?

KK4AMI
06-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Try Lobster Noodling! :lol:

I used to get Pacific Spiny Lobster that way all the time while diving. Not Atlantic Lobster, oww!

KK4AMI
06-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Al Dente? :rofl: Hmmm... I looked it up. What's there is online is actually more confusing than what you posted. Must be something I'm not ready to know. The arcane art of noodling. Anything like canoodling?

It's the southern art of hand fishing. Noodling is reaching into the Cypress roots under water and pulling the catfish out of their nests with your hand down their throat. Gotta watch out for snapping turtles and snakes! I guess you could canoodle a catfish out as well, but even I don't relish kissing a catfish and letting him bite my tongue or anything else involved in canoodling.

n2ize
06-05-2014, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't advise moving out on or near the water. Everything is going to be ubderwater soon. Better off heading up to the far north like I intend to.

N2NH
06-05-2014, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't advise moving out on or near the water. Everything is going to be ubderwater soon. Better off heading up to the far north like I intend to.

The problem with the North is the tundra. Tundra when it thaws seems to form a boggy surface. At least it has on the AlCan Hiway and in a lot of areas in Siberia. In fact, I met a woman who lived there (she was then a homecare attendent) and she said they shut down her city. The buildings no longer had firm ground to be anchored to and were deemed unsafe. Also she told me that all the mammoth dung that was frozen for thousands of years thawed and all you could smell was crap for hundreds of miles. Then there were the swarms of insects that the unfrozen crap attracted...

Not good.

KG4CGC
06-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Consider this. If you choose Asheville NC (or the surrounding area) you will be near freshwater both rivers and lakes for fishing. The elevation ranges from 3000 to 5000 feet depending exactly where you locate. The whole of western NC is mountainous. That will be fantastic for ham activities.
Finally, if you want to hit the coast just get on 64 and head east until you hit the beach road, hwy 12. You may wish to consider the convenience of a time share near the original location you spoke of moving to.

Just throwing out some options.

Then there's Knoxville.

K7SGJ
06-05-2014, 10:15 PM
I know this ham in Vegas, and...................................shit........ ............never mind.

NQ6U
06-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I'll have a completely renovated one bedroom apartment here on the Beautiful Islets of Langerhans ready to rent on July 1st.

K7SGJ
06-05-2014, 10:21 PM
I'll have a completely renovated one bedroom apartment here on the Beautiful Islets of Langerhans ready to rent on July 1st.

I heard the owner is a little picky about what goes on the roof.

NQ6U
06-05-2014, 10:22 PM
I heard the owner is a little picky about what goes on the roof.

Only because it's already full of his antennas so there's no more room for anything else.

K7SGJ
06-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Only because it's already full of his antennas so there's no more room for anything else.

Shirley there is room for a small 60 foot tower on top of the refer unit.

N7YA
06-06-2014, 05:10 AM
I know this ham in Vegas, and...................................shit........ ............never mind.

Hell, I dont know any hams in Vegas...and ive been here since 1986!

KK4AMI
06-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Hell, I dont know any hams in Vegas...and ive been here since 1986!

Since 1986!!! Good Grief, check your feet to see if roots are growing :lol:. I've lived in C-ville for 18 years and feel like I'm rusting. I gotta go now. I realized I'm the oldest guy in the neighborhood now and I don't want to be known as "Old Man so and so" :nono:

PS- I hear there are no living Hams in Smithfield, Virginia either.

W3WN
06-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Hell, I dont know any hams in Vegas...and ive been here since 1986!Dayum. And I was really hoping to somehow work you on 160 before you left. That makes it tough.

N7YA
06-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Dayum. And I was really hoping to somehow work you on 160 before you left. That makes it tough.

Technically, i can stretch a Beverage antenna from Vegas to Maine for 160 and still be in the state. Im sure i could work Venus with that setup, but HOA's in 10 different states would want my head on a platter.