PDA

View Full Version : SPDIF/Toslink audio problem

kb2vxa
06-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Houston we have a problem but I don't know just were to begin, I'll try not to confuse you TOO much. I'm using my computer as the center of my entertainment center and am trying to eliminate a ground loop hum in the audio cables by changing to the SPDIF/Toslink fiber optic output on the on board sound with a Toslink to L-R audio adapter on the amplifier end. I can't get the bloody thing to work!

The OS is Win 7 Ultimate SP1 and I'm using VIA HD Audio Deck software linked to Windows controls to run the show, that works just fine. The laser diode is lit, I've run through all possible settings combinations but there is no Toslink output. Just to make life interesting I've run internal diagnostics, they say everything works but nothing works. HAAALLLPPP!!!

I'm having flashbacks to long ago when I was a bench tech at the local radio/TV repair shop (Remember those?) and all the test instruments said the circuits were working but the set didn't work. FYI my LSD flashbacks ended many years ago, B&W TVs no longer turn to color, but the nightmares just never seem to go away.

AE5CP
06-04-2014, 10:54 AM
The good thing is TOSLink is not laser driven, it is LED driven which makes it a bit safer to look at to verify light.

I do not know how to verify TOSLink is working, but I did spend a number of years as a fiber optic network tech working on long haul optical DWDM and SONET networks.
Verify layer 1, make sure light is making it through the fiber to the receiver end.

kb2vxa
06-04-2014, 10:44 PM
OK Bill, that explains why it wasn't "shooting a beam" for the lack of a better term from the end of the fiber. All of my experiments were done with a 12in optical cable and the receiving converter connected to the existing dual audio cable I had the foresight not to remove. By all indications the LED is lit but is not being modulated.

WØTKX
06-05-2014, 08:33 AM
YMMV...

http://www.swtor.com/community/archive/index.php/t-509795.html

kb2vxa
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
My mileage varies alright, by several audio channels. "SPDIF/Toslink fiber optic output on the on board sound with a Toslink to L-R audio adapter on the amplifier end" is a far cry from the multichannel and Dolby Surround Sound the Star Warrior with his game sound was going on about. Well, thanks for trying.