PDA

View Full Version : New innovaive quiet Dutch windturbine

PA5COR
06-03-2014, 06:20 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/02/1303896/-New-silent-wind-turbine-could-generate-half-of-a-homes-electric-needs-says-company-The-Archimedes

A Dutch company cased The Archimedes has developed a small, highly efficient, and silent rooftop wind energy generator called the Liam1, which it claims could generate half the power a typical house would need, and which they say would be ideal for combining with solar rooftop PV panels.

The company states that the Liam F1 turbine could generate 1,500 kWh of energy at wind speeds of 5m/s, enough to cover half of an average household's energy use. ... When used in combination with rooftop solar panels, a house could run off grid. "When there is wind you use the energy produced by the wind turbine; when the sun is shining you use the solar cells to produce the energy," The Archimedes CEO Richard Ruijtenbeek said.

The Liam's blades are shaped like a Nautilus shell. The design allows it to point into the wind to capture the most amount of energy, while also producing very little sound. The inventor of the turbine Marinus Mieremet says that the power output is 80 percent of the theoretical maximum energy that could be harnessed from the wind.

“Generally speaking, there is a difference in pressure in front and behind of the rotor blades of a windmill. However, this is not the case with the Liam F1. The difference in pressure is created by the spatial figure in the spiral blade. This results in a much better performance. Even when the wind is blowing at an angle of 60 degrees into the rotor, it will start to spin. We do not require expensive software: because of its conical shape, the wind turbine yaws itself automatically into the optimal wind direction. Just like a wind vane. And because the wind turbine encounters minimal resistance, he is virtually silent," said Mieremet.

Looks promising specially in buildt up area's

KC2UGV
06-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Interesting... One of the things that has prevented me from considering wind was the high turbine start speeds, and lack of sustained winds. At an operation speed of 11mph (5m/s for smart people), it's doable for my home.

KK4AMI
06-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Interesting... One of the things that has prevented me from considering wind was the high turbine start speeds, and lack of sustained winds. At an operation speed of 11mph (5m/s for smart people), it's doable for my home.

18 km per hour might be a bit stiff for my neighborhood unless you have a front or storm coming through. Of course, if we get a hurricane and I had plenty of storage batteries...

KC2UGV
06-03-2014, 06:56 AM
18 km per hour might be a bit stiff for my neighborhood unless you have a front or storm coming through. Of course, if we get a hurricane and I had plenty of storage batteries...

11 mph is a breeze, not really a bit stiff. It barely lifts an airport windsock.

You currently have a 8mph breeze right now.

KK4AMI
06-03-2014, 07:03 AM
11 mph is a breeze, not really a bit stiff. It barely lifts an airport windsock.

You currently have a 8mph breeze right now.

Well the leaves on my 80 ft Oak trees aren't moving. I do like the rotors, they have aesthetic appeal. A field of those in various colors would look like flowers. OK, Contrary Gus I see 0 MPH at the CHO airport at 0753

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?sta=KCHO&state=VA

N8YX
06-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Just wait until Big Power tries to get a tax or some other charge levied on you for generating your own power.

KC2UGV
06-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Just wait until Big Power tries to get a tax or some other charge levied on you for generating your own power.

They're already did: http://cleantechnica.com/2014/04/15/aps-taxes-az-solar-installations-drop/

NQ6U
06-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Nifty-looking device, it will be interesting to see if it comes to market.

Cor, do you know why most of the development work was carried out at a university in Korea?

W2NAP
06-03-2014, 10:52 AM

I recall someone who solar paneled his home, cut the big power ties (ie had them pull meter) wasn't long till a code enforcement came along and red tagged the property cause it wasn't tied into commercial power thus unlivable. even though it had juice.

PA5COR
06-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Mostly because these projects lack funding or are crowdfunded and then the developpers look for the cheapest option in markets we as Dutch work with on regular basis.
Lots of our economic activety is in China and Korea, we do lots of business in Europe and the USA but quite early we realised the economic potential of the CHinese and Eastern market and stepped into that very early, giving us the benefits now.

And there is an very extential working together with foreign uni's with Dutch uni's too, so making use of these "connections" is quite normal.
Korea and others use our renowned water laboratoria for our knowledge in water works, levee's and designing of ship hulls etc.

Nifty-looking device, it will be interesting to see if it comes to market.

Cor, do you know why most of the development work was carried out at a university in Korea?

kb2vxa
06-04-2014, 01:21 AM
I'm surprised to see how long it took to apply ancient technology to a wind turbine, the Archimedes Screw. They're right, it could be combined with solar to take a house off the grid, as a matter off fact Jay Leno took his antique car museum/warehouse off the grid years ago that way. That was long before LED lighting, it's brightly illuminated with HPS and HID lamps and air conditioned too, that's a LOT of kilowatts!

Still I like that new design even if it doesn't produce a lot of electrical power, just looking at it produces much more HYPNOTIC power!