PDA

View Full Version : Ice Hockey

HUGH
05-31-2014, 02:46 PM
The revelation that, when Charles Darwin was at school, hockey was played on the ice in cold winters, has upset quite a few of our Canadian friends who assumed that ice hockey was invented in Canada.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/move-over-canada-was-charles-darwin-one-of-icehockeys-first-players-9433766.html

There's no doubt Canadians refined the game sufficiently to make it what it is today but some still insist the new information is just a hoax. It makes sense that, when grass is frozen, rather than turn it into a quagmire, playing on the ice is much more fun. There are early photos of English school matches on the ice.

NQ6U
05-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Darwin got banned from the sport for high-sticking and decided to take a nice sea voyage to take his mind off of his disgrace. The rest is history.

K7SGJ
05-31-2014, 06:33 PM
I imagine if they had played it in a quagmire, he would have been the original mudder pucker, eh?

VE7DCW
06-07-2014, 07:30 PM
I imagine if they had played it in a quagmire, he would have been the original mudder pucker, eh?

...... or more simply to literally just plain tell them "Puck off"! ....... but we don't say "eh" in Canajun speak..... :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
06-07-2014, 08:20 PM
...... or more simply to literally just plain tell them "Puck off"! ....... but we don't say "eh" in Canajun speak..... :mrgreen:

It's a well known fact, that the folks of Duncan B.C. are way more civilized than rest of the heathens living in Canada.

NA4BH
06-07-2014, 10:31 PM
They play bull hockey up there.

VE7DCW
06-07-2014, 10:47 PM
It's a well known fact, that the folks of Duncan B.C. are way more civilized than rest of the heathens living in Eastern Canada.

Eddie you are correct about Duncan......but I corrected you about the other parts of Canada.....:mrgreen:

W7XF
06-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Hockey....a side effect of drinking Moose Piss beer (Molson) and eating the anomaly that Canuckistan calls bacon.

koØm
06-08-2014, 05:47 PM
We have Ice Hockey, live

And on Television.

NQ6U
06-08-2014, 05:51 PM
There's a minor league pro hockey team in San Diego, the Gulls, and they've done pretty well overall. But, it just seems wrong to go see ice hockey played in an arena that's surrounded by palm trees.

http://ahhsome.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/q-quest-for-depeche-san-diego-sports-arena.jpg

KG4CGC
06-08-2014, 06:06 PM
There's a minor league pro hockey team in San Diego, the Gulls, and they've done pretty well overall. But, it just seems wrong to go see ice hockey played in an arena that's surrounded by palm trees.

http://ahhsome.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/q-quest-for-depeche-san-diego-sports-arena.jpg

I know, right?
They should have a jai lai team.

NQ6U
06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
They play jai alai down in Tijuana.

I've heard that there's a donkey and a hooker involved somehow.

KG4CGC
06-08-2014, 06:55 PM
They play jai alai down in Tijuana.

I've heard that there's a donkey and a hooker involved somehow.

Gotta keep the relatives working.

NQ6U
06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Gotta keep the relatives working.

Hey, I resent that. None of my relatives are donkeys.

KG4CGC
06-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean your relatives.
There's a huge Sicilian family that travels around cooking on putting on shows. Ever see Sicilians doing a Hawaiian theme? The hula dance and the flaming sticks and hoops are included.

NQ6U
06-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Sorry. I didn't mean your relatives.
There's a huge Sicilian family that travels around cooking on putting on shows. Ever see Sicilians doing a Hawaiian theme? The hula dance and the flaming sticks and hoops are included.

Just don't turn your back on them. If you do, and if you're lucky, your wallet will go missing. If you're not so lucky...well, just remember us Sicilians are born with a stiletto and a grudge.

K7SGJ
06-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Just don't turn your back on them. If you do, and if you're lucky, your wallet will go missing. If you're not so lucky...well, just remember us Sicilians are born with a stiletto and a grudge.

................but make a great pizza.

KG4CGC
06-09-2014, 12:22 AM
Another year they were pirates

N2NH
06-18-2014, 08:10 PM

http://youtu.be/hYlvfX3nwlc

n2ize
06-28-2014, 03:59 AM
The revelation that, when Charles Darwin was at school, hockey was played on the ice in cold winters, has upset quite a few of our Canadian friends who assumed that ice hockey was invented in Canada.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/move-over-canada-was-charles-darwin-one-of-icehockeys-first-players-9433766.html

There's no doubt Canadians refined the game sufficiently to make it what it is today but some still insist the new information is just a hoax. It makes sense that, when grass is frozen, rather than turn it into a quagmire, playing on the ice is much more fun. There are early photos of English school matches on the ice.

Ah, I can envision it now. The cold winds from the north blow down into England and the countryside is transformed into a tapestry of frost and ice. Of course some lads find a frozen pond or field and cannot resist the temptation to bat whatever might be convenient at the moment across the glistening surface.... what we call an ice hockey match.

I remember when I was a youngster when the nearby lake froze kids would arrange hockey matches. That died out as over the years the lake no longer froze. For a couple decades it was due to unusually warm winters. Now, these days, even with a long cold winter the lake doesn't freeze. It can be well below freezing day and night for weeks and that river and lake will not freeze. And, when it does "freeze" it develops a waxy yellow coating overnight that rapidly dissolves once the sun hits it, regardless of temperature. I a speaking of the famous, Bronx River aka the El' polluto river.