PDA

View Full Version : My ass is draging

NQ6U
05-30-2014, 03:10 PM
We've been doing some required maintenance on the house that we had to defer to keep the Mother in Law's environment serene. Lots of drywall work, some plumbing and a bit of electrical.

The old roof was bad so I spent most of the last week doing tear-off of the old roof. Fucker had three layers of asphalt shingles, a layer of tar paper, then two more layers of asphalt shingles; the old material completely filled a 40 cu yd dumpster. It kicked my 60-year-old butt, too.

The sheeting passed today's inspection (after a little repair work), though, and the roofer will be here tomorrow. Still needs paint and a bit of plumbing work but we hope to have the M-I-L's old apartment ready for move-in on July 1.

K7SGJ
05-30-2014, 03:22 PM
I hear ya. I had to drill 130 holes for some 2 inch vents that I never put into the soffits. Then I made some decorative trim for the brick to roof transitions, and caulked everything I've been trying to get around to for 20 years. Only used two and a half cases of caulk. The pneumatic and electric caulk guns got a real workout. Been cutting in with paint all week, and if the wind ever quits, I'll be able to spray paint everything next week. Everything low, anyway. I'll have to use the fork lift for all the high stuff, but no climbing ladders for that shit. I fucking hate painting. And BTW, I worked for a roofing company in Phoenix when I was a kid doing the shit you are doing and all the other grunt work, too. It didn't take long to decide not to take that career path.

KG4CGC
05-30-2014, 03:29 PM
That's hard work. Back in '93 I helped work on an old home built in 1932. Two layers of cedar shingles under a layer of tar paper and a layer of tar shingles that was basically goop and 2 more layers of asphalt shingles. Then there was the nails. All manner of nails. It was like a history lesson, no, an archaeological site. When we got down to the bottom layer of shingles I found a mix of what looked like hand made nails and more modern round nails. The home owner hired some import workers to separate the cedar shingles out of the pile and denail them. Then he sorted the nails out by type and saved the cedar to use in his wood burning stove.

I thought he might keep the oldest nails as historical and scrap the rest but he just stored them all. Serious hording going at that house. The home itself was a historical landmark but the city demolished the home when the owner got sick and ended up in the VA hospital. I tried to find out what eventually became of him. Did he die, did he move into a convalescent home. No one was talking. Everyone I asked said they didn't know. If you ever see the spiral stained glass windchimes hanging up somewhere, he was the guy that invented them and developed the jigs and the rigs to make them. He worked in stained glass and it there that I worked for a short time in stained glass.

So yeah, Carl. That roofing stuff is hard work and when you started talking layers, I was reminded of my little story.

NQ6U
05-30-2014, 03:41 PM
For as long as I can remember, the code here in California has been that you can have no more than two layers of roofing on a house. Apparently, the last roof, which was put on in the mid-Eighties, must have been one of the last ones to go on before the two-layer rule was adopted so I was somewhat blindsided by finding five. Really threw the timing off on everything; I expected tear-off to take two days but it took four so we were still doing some repairs to the sheeting when the inspector showed up this morning. Fortunately, he was not one of those petty tyrants like some building inspectors can be. Even though were weren't completely ready, could see we had things under control and signed off. The new shingles have been delivered and are sitting on the roof waiting for the roofer. 50 year guarantee, so I won't have to worry about doing it again in my lifetime.

Scenic Dumpster View Estates, AKA St. Peter's West.

PA5COR
05-30-2014, 04:09 PM
We use roof tiles that last 100+ years, and be done with it...
If one breaks just replace it easy done.

NQ6U
05-30-2014, 04:12 PM
We use roof tiles that last 100 years, and be done with it....

As do many houses here, but the roof framing on my place wasn't designed to support the weight of tile. As things stood, the extra weight of five layers of asphalt roofing caused enough sag to crack the plaster ceiling and even one of the walls. Besides, for those of us living in an active seismic zone, there are definite disadvantages to having so much weight high up on a structure.

PA5COR
05-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Standard build here, all houses are made with isolated tile covered rooftops.
We stiil have the occasional Thatch covered land houses, but insurance is a crime.
Tiles give easy access to my antenna's as well, just shove them upwards and make a ladder in the tile roof.

n2ize
05-30-2014, 08:05 PM
In NYC most of the older flat roof buildings don't use shingles or tiles. They just use tar.

AC8KF WALT
05-30-2014, 08:28 PM
flat roofs in baltimore too. never understood why in a area that gets tons of rain and a snow storm once in a while.

NQ6U
06-06-2014, 01:15 PM
They finally came and hauled off the dumpster this morning, so here's a shot of Dumpster View Estates, sans dumpster (guess I'll need to change the name), with it's new roof:

It looks better in person.

KG4CGC
06-06-2014, 01:17 PM
FBOM. hihi

K7SGJ
06-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Shit, man. I am sorry. I thought they hauled the house away, and that was the dumpster.

KG4CGC
06-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Shit, man. I am sorry. I thought they hauled the house away, and that was the dumpster.

FBOM hihi

dit dit

NQ6U
06-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Holy shit! You're right! Bastids!

ad4mg
06-06-2014, 06:31 PM
It's a very nice looking dumpster... :)

NA4BH
06-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm already missing the dumpster.

K7SGJ
06-06-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm already missing the dumpster.

It should be at your place on next Thursday, with the underwear in it.

W7XF
06-07-2014, 05:03 AM
They finally came and hauled off the dumpster this morning, so here's a shot of Dumpster View Estates, sans dumpster (guess I'll need to change the name), with it's new roof:

It looks better in person.

That's the Papal palace??? Oh that's right...those poverty vows...you're required to live Barrio de La Cucaracha.

PA5COR
06-07-2014, 08:03 AM
^My shed looks bigger :mrgreen:

Good work done i say.

NQ6U
06-07-2014, 09:46 AM
It is small—1,868 sq. ft. (173m2), and that includes both sides of the duplex. The part we live in is about 60% of that. Houses are expensive in this part of the world.

K7SGJ
06-07-2014, 09:52 AM
What are you going to do with the guest house?

NQ6U
06-07-2014, 09:53 AM
What are you going to do with the guest house?

Rent it out, once we're done with the remodel.

K7SGJ
06-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Outstanding. I wouldn't mind having some rental property like that, that is close enough to keep an eye on.

NQ6U
06-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Outstanding. I wouldn't mind having some rental property like that, that is close enough to keep an eye on.

Rents are so high here and we put enough down on this place when we bought it that the income will almost cover the mortgage.

PA5COR
06-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Almost the same as our house ( 180 square meters) devided over three stories, 4 bedrooms, etc.
Houses here ain't cheap either....

It is small—1,868 sq. ft. (173m2), and that includes both sides of the duplex. The part we live in is about 60% of that. Houses are expensive in this part of the world.

VE7MGF
06-07-2014, 11:19 AM
http://beta.realtor.ca/index.aspx?CultureId=1
your prices are even crazier than up here:irked: