KG4CGC
05-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Shared!

PA5COR
05-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Hilarious ;)

n2ize
05-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Many engineers are dumb as hell. Russian engineering in particular has got to be the worst on this planet. I wouldn;t trust a Russian engineer to design me a paper bag. American engineering is somewhat better. The best engineering that I place most trust in is Israeli engineering. Israel has very high standards for engineering and has the best engineers in the world. Some of our finest and most reliable medical devices are of Israeli design.

KG4CGC
05-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Russian engineers had to work with a budget of zero. Often they divided by zero, at least the state office of budget control did.

NQ6U
05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Russian engineers had to work with a budget of zero. Often they divided by zero, at least the state office of budget control did.

Russia still has a working space launch vehicle, we don't. QED.

KG4CGC
05-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Russia still has a working space launch vehicle, we don't. QED.

I was thinking 50s, 60s and 70s but now we have basically the same thing wrapped up in a political issue (party) to be discussed elsewhere.

NQ6U
05-30-2014, 09:01 PM
I was thinking 50s, 60s and 70s but now we have basically the same thing wrapped up in a political issue (party) to be discussed elsewhere.

Oh, yeah, I was agreeing with you. Soviet engineers built amazing stuff with limited resources, including their spaceships which are still flying while ours had to be grounded because they became too dangerous to operate.

KG4CGC
05-30-2014, 09:22 PM
Oh, yeah, I was agreeing with you. Soviet engineers built amazing stuff with limited resources, including their spaceships which are still flying while ours had to be grounded because they became too dangerous to operate.

Too complicated but still a wonder of their time. Thing is, the greatest update they made was the last time Windows 3.1 was used for the flight systems! I'm thinking of an old joke which showed the cockpit screens displaying the BSOD.

Now I want you to think about Russian cars. NYET!

n0iu
05-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Let's see the Rooshuns come up with something like the turbo encabulator!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk

kc4umo
05-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Let's see the Rooshuns come up with something like the turbo encabulator!

WTF did he just say??

kb2vxa
05-31-2014, 02:29 PM
"I'm thinking of an old joke which showed the cockpit screens displaying the BSOD."

Yeah, the reason why fly by wire computers use Linux.

n0iu
05-31-2014, 02:59 PM
The Top 10 Indicators that you might be an engineer:

10) You can type 70 wpm, but you can't read your own handwriting.
9 ) You have more friends on the Internet than you have in person.
8 ) You look forward to Christmas so you put the kid's toys together.
7 ) When you see a great design, you still have to change it.
6 ) You spent more money on your calculator than you did on your wife's engagement ring.
5 ) You chuckle when anyone says, "Centrifugal Force".
4 ) You have already calculated how much you make per second.
3 ) You tried to fix a $5 radio.
2 ) You subscription to Scientific American and Popular Mechanics cost more than your gym membership.

And the #1 indicator that you might be an engineer...

1 ) You are on Lookout Point with your sweetheart on Valentines Day gazing up at the stars, you look her in the eye and say, "I wonder which one of those is a geosynchronous satellite?"

W7XF
05-31-2014, 08:59 PM
"I'm thinking of an old joke which showed the cockpit screens displaying the BSOD."

Smurfy xD

W3WN
05-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Russia still has a working space launch vehicle, we don't. QED.That's because of politics, not engineering.

NQ6U
05-31-2014, 11:13 PM
That's because of politics, not engineering.

Both, actually.

The space shuttle was a compromise design. The reason it was compromised was politics—specifically, budget constraints—but it was for engineering reasons it was finally grounded. It was no longer safe to fly.

n2ize
05-31-2014, 11:15 PM
The Top 10 Indicators that you might be an engineer:

10) You can type 70 wpm, but you can't read your own handwriting.
9 ) You have more friends on the Internet than you have in person.
8 ) You look forward to Christmas so you put the kid's toys together.
7 ) When you see a great design, you still have to change it.
6 ) You spent more money on your calculator than you did on your wife's engagement ring.
5 ) You chuckle when anyone says, "Centrifugal Force".
4 ) You have already calculated how much you make per second.
3 ) You tried to fix a $5 radio.
2 ) You subscription to Scientific American and Popular Mechanics cost more than your gym membership.

And the #1 indicator that you might be an engineer...

1 ) You are on Lookout Point with your sweetheart on Valentines Day gazing up at the stars, you look her in the eye and say, "I wonder which one of those is a geosynchronous satellite?"

And the top level thought that all engineers ought to know... "You are NOT a scientist, even though you may THINK you are!".

XE1/N5AL
06-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Back in my school days, I knew a student who was studying mechanical engineering. He was a good kid, just not the brightest bulb on the string. After a year, he dropped out because he learned he didn't need an engineering degree to pursue his engineering dream career. Since his boyhood, he had wanted to drive diesel locomotives!

K7SGJ
06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Back in my school days, I knew a student who was studying mechanical engineering. He was a good kid, just not the brightest bulb on the string. After a year, he dropped out because he learned he didn't need an engineering degree to pursue his engineering dream career. Since his boyhood, he had wanted to drive diesel locomotives!

Huh, I guess he didn't have to train for that. Maybe he was loco and got sidetracked.

kb2vxa
06-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by kb2vxa

W7XF:
Smurfy xD

Did someone say Smurfy?

N2IZE:
"And the top level thought that all engineers ought to know... "You are NOT a scientist, even though you may THINK you are!".

Heh heh heh, Like K1MAN, Glen Bastard PE? http://www.k1man.com/physics.pdf

n2ize
06-03-2014, 03:02 PM
N2IZE:
"And the top level thought that all engineers ought to know... "You are NOT a scientist, even though you may THINK you are!".

Heh heh heh, Like K1MAN, Glen Bastard PE? http://www.k1man.com/physics.pdf

Hah, I wasn't thinking about MAN... That is a perfect example. I wonder what kind of "engineer" he was. He can;t even seem to program his Radio Shack timers right in order to sync his transmitter on time to the audio feed.

A couple years ago I read and listened to some of the stuff he has up on that page. I concluded, a scientist he ain't. Notice he is his own peer review and his "science" papers are not published in any reputable journals but on his own website. I also doubt his "engineering" abilities. I particularly like his "disproving" of Einstein's relativity via high school math. :lol:. It is a true work of comedy i.e Theater de l'absurd" Yet we use relativity in order to get GPS to work. I guess according to Basturd GPS doesn't work.

One thing he does have. a lot of hot air and ego.

suddenseer
06-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Oh, yeah, I was agreeing with you. Soviet engineers built amazing stuff with limited resources, including their spaceships which are still flying while ours had to be grounded because they became too dangerous to operate.Maybe that is why we pay them to haul our astronauts around these days?

N2NH
06-03-2014, 09:04 PM

While I agree that the Russians did a lot with a little, we do have a working spaceship. The SpaceX Dragon II <---Link (http://www.space.com/26043-spacex-manned-dragon-spacecraft-unveiling-webcast.html) to be in regular service by 2017. Then there's Branson's Virgin Galactic Spaceship 2 <---Link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2642917/Virgin-FAA-sign-agreement-Spaceport-flights.html) which will be in service at years end (2014).

NQ6U
06-03-2014, 09:16 PM
While I agree that the Russians did a lot with a little, we do have a working spaceship. The SpaceX Dragon II <---Link (http://www.space.com/26043-spacex-manned-dragon-spacecraft-unveiling-webcast.html) to be in regular service by 2017. Then there's Branson's Virgin Galactic Spaceship 2 <---Link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2642917/Virgin-FAA-sign-agreement-Spaceport-flights.html) which will be in service at years end (2014).

Yeah, I know about those and I think it's great. I only meant that we don't currently have a spaceship flying.

kb2vxa
06-04-2014, 10:06 AM
No way in HELL would you catch me flying around in a "spacecraft" made by one of those "look at me I've got money" showoff types. 4Q and the virgin dragon you rode in on!

W5BRM
06-07-2014, 03:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kx9CVdF.jpg

N2NH
06-07-2014, 08:37 PM
No way in HELL would you catch me flying around in a "spacecraft" made by one of those "look at me I've got money" showoff types. 4Q and the virgin dragon you rode in on!

NHE was numero uno in the Science Fair. I'd trust her engineering anyday of the week. Hmmm... maybe we could resurrect Red Hot Radio 20/40? It's a thought.

kb2vxa
06-08-2014, 09:03 AM
I have reservations... the original kits were 2 for $100. Now a single kit is $250! Does Halle Berry come build it for me? While I'm contemplating, I'm listening: http://www.redhotradio1.net/

n2ize
06-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Engineering is not an easy discipline. Lots of appied science and mathematics + experience... sometimes things don;t work right even though all the scientific principles and math works right. It's also quite different working in the pure sciences and pure mathematics. I know some great people who work in the pure theoretical sciences and abstract mathematics who were not all that great when it came to engineering. And vice versa. I am more inclined to focus on the abstract and theoretical as opposed to the applied sciences , applied math, and engineering. But, still, it is also important to have some functional awareness as to how the theory applies to real world situations.

kb2vxa
06-09-2014, 02:41 AM
"Engineering is not an easy discipline."
The Design Engineer I did R&D with on my last job was a perfect example. He couldn't solder to save his life, the first thing I had to do was completely redo the prototype before I could log any measurements. Of course it didn't work and readings weren't even close to his expectations, he never heard of The First Law: What looks good on paper never works in practice. He'd make a few changes, naturally that didn't work either. "Just leave it here, I'll see what I can do with it." When he returned it was working, all measurements were spot on, he asked what I did to make it work. All I could tell him was I tinkered around until it worked.

There are two lessons to be learned here:
1) Engineers design it, technicians make it work.
2) Hams throw away the book and just make the damn thing work.
I guess I don't have to tell you I'm a technician AND a ham, I even have a Technician Class license to prove it!

Just a little update on what I said in a previous post about Glen Bastard K1MAN "PE". Those curious enough to have looked at his web site may have noticed he tags his "PE" signature to everything, even the most outrageously wrong theories he has "proven correct". The National Society of Professional Engineers took notice too and censured him several times for "misuse in applying PE to his signature" all of them ignored, naturally. To become licensed, engineers must complete a four-year college degree, work under a Professional Engineer for at least four years, pass two intensive competency exams and earn a license from their state's licensure board. Then, to retain their licenses, PEs must continually maintain and improve their skills throughout their careers. His Excellency has done none of this and isn't even a member, as if you haven't guessed by his mistimed, overmodulated broadsplashes, and utter nonsense barely understandable with that cheese grater audio that gave listeners ear bleed.

n2ize
06-10-2014, 04:04 PM
"Engineering is not an easy discipline."
The Design Engineer I did R&D with on my last job was a perfect example. He couldn't solder to save his life, the first thing I had to do was completely redo the prototype before I could log any measurements. Of course it didn't work and readings weren't even close to his expectations, he never heard of The First Law: What looks good on paper never works in practice. He'd make a few changes, naturally that didn't work either. "Just leave it here, I'll see what I can do with it." When he returned it was working, all measurements were spot on, he asked what I did to make it work. All I could tell him was I tinkered around until it worked.

There are two lessons to be learned here:
1) Engineers design it, technicians make it work.
2) Hams throw away the book and just make the damn thing work.
I guess I don't have to tell you I'm a technician AND a ham, I even have a Technician Class license to prove it!

Not all engineers are good engineers. Good engineering requires applied science and unfortunately some engineers forgot, or may have been sleeping, in science class. There are a lot of things a good engineer can do that a technician can't do. Of course there are also a lot of smart technicians as well. Its the job of the engineer to come up with a workable design and to apply the science and the math to determine what should work. Of course even the best designs are often going to have glitches. That is where the technician comes in. He finds those glitches. And a good technician will figure out hat needs to be done to get those bugs out.

Just a little update on what I said in a previous post about Glen Bastard K1MAN "PE". Those curious enough to have looked at his web site may have noticed he tags his "PE" signature to everything, even the most outrageously wrong theories he has "proven correct". The National Society of Professional Engineers took notice too and censured him several times for "misuse in applying PE to his signature" all of them ignored, naturally. To become licensed, engineers must complete a four-year college degree, work under a Professional Engineer for at least four years, pass two intensive competency exams and earn a license from their state's licensure board. Then, to retain their licenses, PEs must continually maintain and improve their skills throughout their careers. His Excellency has done none of this and isn't even a member, as if you haven't guessed by his mistimed, overmodulated broadsplashes, and utter nonsense barely understandable with that cheese grater audio that gave listeners ear bleed.

Not only that but he was also challenged by the state of Maine for referring to his "Physics University" as a "University". If you look at his "proofs" claiming that Einstein's relativity is wrong you find that Baxters "proofs" are ludicrous. Furthermore he is not accredited and thus cannot hand out degrees. In other words Baxtards "Physics U" is just another self proclaimed entity created by Baxtard and only Baxtard himself. All the "research" is done by Baxtard, the peer review process is done by Baxtard and proclaimed valid by Baxtard. He is his one and only peer. Nobody in their right mind who wants to really learn Physics would ever enroll in the K1MAN "Physics University". Of course its all in his mind and another way for him to stroke his own ego. As you pointed out, he can;t even set his Radio Shack timers correctly, let alone tune up an AM transmitter to provide a clean signal and clean audio. He is definitely not going to disprove Einstein. K1MAN is no Einstein, that's for surer. I am sure if Mr. Einstein were still around he'd get a good chuckle over K1MAN...

NM5TF
06-10-2014, 04:10 PM
the ONLY good thing I have to say about Glenn is.....he has a Collins KW-1....and I WANT IT.....

butt....I don't have his asking price of $20K.....damm it !!!