PDA

View Full Version : Happy Memorial Day

K7SGJ
05-25-2014, 11:32 PM
To all of you who have served in the military

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! !

NA4BH
05-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Same here. For those that have/had the guts and balls (where indicated) to offer their service for this Country, THANK YOU.

W9JEF
05-26-2014, 06:44 AM

. . . . . . . . . . . . .You're welcome. :)

suddenseer
05-26-2014, 09:58 AM
i already tried this memorial day out. I visited my mom's grave, and left flowers. My mom left us last year. The tears are still moist.

KC2UGV
05-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Not meaning to be total downer, but Memorial Day is a day to remember those who died in the line of service. Veterans Day is for celebrating veterans of service. There's no real celebration to be had today.

A little snippet on the origins of Memorial Day. Memorial Day arose due to the immense numbers of dead from the Civil War, where it became impossible for servicemen's deaths to NOT become a facet of US culture.

AA8KT
05-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Viet Nam '63 thru '66 here. But it is NOT "HAPPY" Memorial Day. This is a day we remember our fallen comrades who cannot celebrate any more. It is a day of tears not happiness.
HMC Peter Lansing U.S.N. (ret)

K7SGJ
05-26-2014, 10:39 AM
While this may be true, for many, for me, hardly a day goes by that I don't think about those who have not only lost their life while in uniform, but those who continue to do so. On special days, such as this, I am also reminded of those still serving, and those still living who have served; and would like them to know they are always in my thoughts. Having lost several of my comrades in service to this country, I feel obligated to thank those who have also made many sacrifices just short of the "ultimate" one.

Just my personal opinion and practice.

W9JEF
05-26-2014, 10:40 AM

Gratitude to all fallen comrades, and let us never again
waste one more life on an ill-conceived "war of choice."

War--what is it good for?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-heilig/war-what-is-it-good-for-s_b_3340842.html

NQ6U
05-26-2014, 10:45 AM
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/wilma.jpg

Lost my WW ll vet mother-in-law on January 31st of this year. This is her niche at Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery.

n6hcm
05-27-2014, 02:42 AM
While this may be true, for many, for me, hardly a day goes by that I don't think about those who have not only lost their life while in uniform, but those who continue to do so.

i'm reminded of this every day at work. there's a runner carpet for the main lobby which bears the legend "THE PRICE OF FREEDOM IS VISIBLE HERE" ... and it is. i see old guys with missing limbs who are clearly from wwii or the korean war, others from the vietnam war ... the guys who spent time in the middle east more recently are more invisible and often could be mistaken for visitors to the hospital (when they're an inpatient the wristband gives them away). the only thing that makes it bearable at all is knowing that the work we do in my part of the hospital can improve the lives of those who are injured (we're not clinical folks--we're research).

still, it makes me sad that the Powers That Be know all this happens and still sends folks off to war. it doesn't have to be this way.