PDA

View Full Version : VDOT is amazing

KK4AMI
05-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Three days ago I contacted the Virginia Department of Transportation about a dangerous entrance ramp onto I-64E. The MM118 entrance ramp had become so rutty, that you had to slow down or risk the bumps throwing you in to the Interstate traffic lanes. Well today on the news they announced closure of that ramp for milling and repaving. Never thought I could move the rusty wheels of Government, but I guess I did. Kudos to VDOT for responding so fast.

NQ6U
05-20-2014, 06:15 PM
ruddy |ˈrədē|
adjective ( -dier , -diest )
1 (of a person's face) having a healthy red color : a cheerful pipe-smoking man of ruddy complexion.
• having a reddish color : the ruddy evening light.
2 Brit., informal dated used as a euphemism for “bloody.”

ORIGIN late Old English rudig, from the base of archaic rud [red color] ; related to red .

KK4AMI
05-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Boy, is my face ruddy! :oops:

W3WN
05-20-2014, 11:15 PM
PennDOT would take about a year... to let you know that they were looking into the matter.

kb2vxa
05-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Don't get so full of yourself station, (;->) there were 999 callers ahead of you. I always knew Vagina is for rutters.

Never mind PennDoT, it took 40 years for NJDoT to get off their asses and do something about the Pull Ass Key Skyway and they SAY they're dragging the project out through 2020. Since it's union labor and politics being politics, by the time they're finished cars will fly and we won't need it anymore. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2014/04/pulaski_skyway_jersey_city_newark_april_12_closure s_detour_lane_closure_northbound_traffic.html

KG4CGC
05-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Whatever happened to The Big Dig in Boston Mass?

W3WN
05-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Don't get so full of yourself station, (;->) there were 999 callers ahead of you. I always knew Vagina is for rutters.

Never mind PennDoT, it took 40 years for NJDoT to get off their asses and do something about the Pull Ass Key Skyway and they SAY they're dragging the project out through 2020. Since it's union labor and politics being politics, by the time they're finished cars will fly and we won't need it anymore. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2014/04/pulaski_skyway_jersey_city_newark_april_12_closure s_detour_lane_closure_northbound_traffic.html Oh yes, I remember the Pulaski Skyway.

Back in my misspent youth, I spent many a Saturday or Sunday on the Skyway. Sitting there in bumper-to-bumper traffic, smelling the unique scents of the Bayonne refineries. Either we were on our way to or from my grandparents apartment in Elizabeth, or we were heading to Newark Airport to watch planes land and take off.

And no complaining about the politics. Besides, it's New Jersey. You know where half the road-repair money is going... it's being split between the politicians and the mob. But the other half? At least YOU get good roads out of the deal. (In PA, the politicians keep all the graft, and the roads still stink)

W3WN
05-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Whatever happened to The Big Dig in Boston Mass?Dig? Dug.

kb2vxa
05-23-2014, 10:10 PM
"At least YOU get good roads out of the deal."

HA! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING! Ah, but what does a kid know? Come on back for another look, and this time pay attention. Watch out for the convoys (Remember that song? YUK!) on the Turnpike all speeding and looking for cars to eat, then there's the Garden State Parking Lot, the longest and narrowest in the state that parks more cars than any other before they even get near the Jersey Shore where they're all trying to go. Then take another look at my favorite Jean Shepherd quote, I can personally attest to his accurate assessment.

Sorry it's too late to see the underside of the Pull Ass Key Skyway now with construction underway, I saw huge holes rusted out of the ironwork and huge concrete bombs on the ground around Doremus Avenue in Newark and the street off Ton Lee (Tonnely) Bullshitvard in Jerky City under it and was afraid of getting smacked with one. Oh, you noticed that we call it Bee Onne, the armpit of New Jersey, and if you think that's bad, farther south is the butt hole Puerto Amboy where the stink can gag a maggot! Between them where I grew up in Rahway we called it Cancer Alley, I sure am glad to have moved south where I can breathe. Unfortunately my recording of Uncle Floyd is too large to post here, and the only recording on You Tube is a cover, oh well, but you get the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCWPxRpBVqY

Good old Lizardbreath (Elizabeth) the city that makes its own cheese. I managed to survive there, but when gunshots on Saturday night and sirens 24/7 became too much I lowered the flag, turned off the light, drove off into the sunset and never looked back. Previously in Union where I lived 350ft AMSL with a kitchen window facing east into the sunrise, I ate breakfast looking at smog hugging the ground. I watched planes trying to land at Newark, pilots unfamiliar with it bounced off a few times, circled around, and did what the experts did, take a sharp nose dive to penetrate it before entering the glide slope disappearing into the muck. Here on the beach is an interesting sight, looking south it's normal, but looking north is a dark cloud stretching to the horizon out to sea.

After Memorial Day forget about the beach, we can't get near it or the boardwalk when the bennies from up north invade. I stay home watching the Beach Bunny Parade from the porch or listening to the scanner when the Coast Guard goes fishing, hauling the weekend warriors out of the drink. We can't take our boats out with them around creating madness and mayhem, except maybe for owners of vintage PT boats rearmed for the occasion.

"Whatever happened to The Big Dig in Boston Mass?"
For years it's been maybe the worst clog in the city. Traffic everywhere is a mess, but there you can sit underground breathing fumes like farther south in the Holland and Lincoln tunnels I'm unfortunately a bit too familiar with. I must have been insane, I finally realized I could take a train and go anywhere in New York on public transport... until I realized going there at all is insane. I may be a city boy but I'm a country boy at heart, at least I made it halfway there down this way in Shoerburbia.

N2NH
05-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Whatever happened to The Big Dig in Boston Mass?

They had a couple of tunnels with problems after the "new" method of digging them was found to have flaws. So far it's working better than it has any reason to.

n2ize
05-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Three days ago I contacted the Virginia Department of Transportation about a dangerous entrance ramp onto I-64E. The MM118 entrance ramp had become so rutty, that you had to slow down or risk the bumps throwing you in to the Interstate traffic lanes. Well today on the news they announced closure of that ramp for milling and repaving. Never thought I could move the rusty wheels of Government, but I guess I did. Kudos to VDOT for responding so fast.

This reminds me of the shape the Franklin Ave. shuttle was in a couple decades ago. The tracks were engulfed by tall weeds and garbage was strewn everywhere. It was amazing that trains still made it through that stretch of trackage. The ancient wooden platforms were rotting from ages of neglect and had wooden plywood boards nailed over sections of the platform so that passengers wouldn't fall through the rotting wood planks that comprised the original platforms. The signs were all faded and rusted and local kids and vandals had easy access to the right of way. Finally the NYTA got around to renovating the entire line. They gave it a full makeover. New stations, new entrances and exits, much improved lighting, dramatically improved security, and fencing to keep kids away from the track area.

KK4AMI
05-24-2014, 01:04 PM
This reminds me of the shape the Franklin Ave. shuttle was in a couple decades ago. The tracks were engulfed by tall weeds and garbage was strewn everywhere. It was amazing that trains still made it through that stretch of trackage. The ancient wooden platforms were rotting from ages of neglect and had wooden plywood boards nailed over sections of the platform so that passengers wouldn't fall through the rotting wood planks that comprised the original platforms. The signs were all faded and rusted and local kids and vandals had easy access to the right of way. Finally the NYTA got around to renovating the entire line. They gave it a full makeover. New stations, new entrances and exits, much improved lighting, dramatically improved security, and fencing to keep kids away from the track area.

Ya, I remember that. I was at the Franklin/Fulton Station in about 1998. What a dump! I called that one in, guess they finally got around to repairing it?

n2ize
05-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Ya, I remember that. I was at the Franklin/Fulton Station in about 1998. What a dump! I called that one in, guess they finally got around to repairing it?

Yeah, it was a dump. It was in really bad shape. At one point the Transit Authority was simply going to abandon and demolish the line. It's a very short line, only about 4 stops. But the local residents took issue with that idea. Seems more local people depended on it for transportation than they realized. Plus it provides a convenient connection to the Q & B lines. So they scrapped that idea and gave it a complete makeover. Good thing you called it in. See, when you call people jump and things get done... ;)

ad4mg
05-25-2014, 04:55 AM

Since you have the inside track with VDOT, how about asking them to consider fixing the moon crater at the end of the Rt 360 west ramp to I-64 east at Richmond? It's only been there a few MONTHS now... :angry:

n2ize
05-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Since you have the inside track with VDOT, how about asking them to consider fixing the moon crater at the end of the Rt 360 west ramp to I-64 east at Richmond? It's only been there a few MONTHS now... :angry:

You should have seen the collection of moon craters along one of the local roads here a few months ago. These were the kind of deep holes that burst tires, break wheels and damage vehicles. This sort of thing is common here during cold and snowy winters. The snowplows really break up the roads pretty bad.

KK4AMI
05-25-2014, 05:35 AM

Have you tried calling? That actually seems to work. It may take a stack of calls on any one particular road hazard. But I think they listen. When I first moved here in 95, I thought Virginia used to be so fastidious about her roads, they were always paving something. Not today, our budget must be pretty thin this year. 58 years late in life and I'm learning to BITCH,BITCH,BITCH!

n2ize
05-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Have you tried calling? That actually seems to work. It may take a stack of calls on any one particular road hazard. But I think they listen. When I first moved here in 95, I thought Virginia used to be so fastidious about her roads, they were always paving something. Not today, our budget must be pretty thin this year. 58 years late in life and I'm learning to BITCH,BITCH,BITCH!

For years we were trying to get a two hour parking sign put up in front of the house but we always got some BS excuse or a runaround. Finally our local councilman was running for mayor and we called him and asked about getting the sign put in. The very next day they came out and put up the sign. A good time to make the calls is right around election time. Their hearing seems to improve the closer it is to election day.