PDA

View Full Version : QRZ XML or not to QRZ XML?

KC2UGV
05-20-2014, 09:16 AM
So, now that QRZ has solved the LoTW issue of it being overly-burdensome, I'm contemplating getting a subscription for QRZ. At what price point do you decide on "Platinum" or just "XML Logbook" access? Platinum talks about "auto enrollment in new services", is this really an issue as I thought they do that already?

w6tmi
05-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Hard to tell, it seems a large bump for 40 bucks from premium at 39 which just cuts out ads on the forum along with XML, which don't bother me anyway.
Would have to really look at what all those "special services" actually are for that much money.

Maybe it's free knob polishing.. :p

I've just got xml for logging and look-up, but I'm not a serious operator.

W3WN
05-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Which level lets you upload the database?

KC2UGV
05-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Which level lets you upload the database?

I think the basic XML subscriber does. I know it lets you do LoTW uploads at that level, which is why I'm wondering if I should even consider a higher level membership.

W7XF
05-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Why give Phred D. Banhamster $$$ with his shifty moderator(?) and holier-than-thou users that can post anything with immunity from bans?

KC2UGV
05-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Why give Phred D. Banhamster $$$ with his shifty moderator(?) and holier-than-thou users that can post anything with immunity from bans?

I consider $19/year worthwhile for someone to babysit my LoTW config.

W3WN
05-22-2014, 12:32 PM
I had been working on a project to automate my QSL'ing practices. The QRZ CD-ROM, which had been available twice a year for about $10-14 depending on the source, stored the basic data in an unencrypted, easy to read (CSV if I recall correctly) format.

Frankly (hi Frank!), I'd have preferred to simply buy the CD's as needed. However, they're discontinued.

So for $19, if I can download the QRZ database (in CSV format), and then massage it into the right format for my purposes... it's worth it.

I would PREFER to deal with another source. Only the Radio Amateur's Callbook has as extensive a DX address dataset as what the Zed now has; Buckmaster isn't quite as good, but it's close. Problem is, both RAC & BM encrypt their data, and have very limited export capabilities. Simply not worth the time, trouble, and aggravation to work around the encryption.

Or to put it another way...
You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system!

I grow tired of asking this so it will be the last time: *Where* is the rebel base?