PDA

View Full Version : PTSD

koØm
05-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Has anyone here ever been knocked on their azz so badly by RF / B+ that they have flashbacks about it 30 years later?

I'm not talking about 900 vdc in a sweep tube amplifier, that will knock you back a few steps and make you curse at it; I'm talking about 3-500z voltage.

I had an RF appliance under test (Blackcat JB-2000), it was sitting on the floor while I was sitting in an office chair in the radio room. With the hinged cover open, while transmitting to the owner of the device, I leaned back and attempted to reach over and adjust the controls and, I got "too close" and RF jumped out of that open cover and got me (with the metal "Chick Choker" Microphone in the other hand).

Because I was leaning back in the chair, the momentum of the involuntary muscle contractions knocked me out of the chair "Back-flip" style (saved my life because it broke the current path) and I landed on the floor five feet away. I was talking on the radio when it happened so, a number of folks knew something had happened.

When I came to / to my senses, the first thing that I did was to move my head (actually, I banged it into the chair leg a couple of times and said to myself, "You alive, at least you are still alive") and then, while still lying on the floor I checked to see if my legs and arms still worked.

By this time, there was someone banging on my door, I dragged myself up, still taking inventory of the new holes that had been burned into my body and the fact that I still had all ten fingers; pain, burnt flesh, entrance and exit wounds of RF current. At the door, was the fellow that I was talking to on the radio at the time of the incident; he lives 15 minutes away.

I tried to tell him what happened but, as he tells it, I was babbling incoherently. I took another 20 minutes before I could talk straight and only then would he leave. The next day, I told him to come get that POS and, I completely emptied my workbench of high voltage RF / high voltage RF devices and, I refused to touch one for repair for over 6 months.

To this day, I can be minding my own business, involved in something else and then, "KA-FAP"; I feel that jolt from 30 years ago and It just send a shiver through my body, almost like the real thing.

However, when working on such devices after that, before I would start I always remind myself of the incident and I always start out with one hand in my back pocket for safety.

WØTKX
05-16-2014, 11:55 PM
Wow. Can we call you Sparky now? ;)

AC8KF WALT
05-17-2014, 08:51 AM
no but, did get bitten by a single leg of 480 vac three phase once.

W2NAP
05-17-2014, 11:20 AM
no but, did get bitten by a single leg of 480 vac three phase once.

bet that was a shocking experience.

WØTKX
05-17-2014, 12:37 PM
I ran about 400 VDC through my arms and it blasted me off the shop stool. That hurt for a while, my arms from the shock and my head from the impact. This was in electronics shop class (the color TV course), and I NEVER heard the end of that. :lol:

Later, screwing around with an SB-200, got an RF burn on my right arm from my elbow to my pinkie. Just being clumsy and stupid on a hot sweaty day. Blisters, and cooked meat. :ugh:

AC8KF WALT
05-17-2014, 06:11 PM
bet that was a shocking experience.

arm felt like it was crushed and hurt for days.

kb2vxa
05-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Years ago I got 600VDC from my hand to my elbow, it wasn't the voltage but the time that burned it permanently into memory. Why it happened is embarrassingly too stupid to relate, but anyway I was trapped for a couple of minutes with current flowing too far from the red button kill switch on the wall to do anything about it. My screams alerted a friend all the way in the kitchen at the other end of the house who rushed in and hit the switch killing all power to the room except for lighting. It smelled like overcooked BBQ, and left me with burns on my palm with my arm cherry red and paralyzed, it took a whole month to thankfully regain use of it.

On a lighter note another time but a year or so later, I was wearing headphones with a hand on one of those chicken choker lollipops, transmission in progress when the antenna was hit by lightning. No, I'm not that stupid (only stupid enough to get an arm BBQed), my excuse is headphones muffle the sound of storms! No damage done thanks to effective grounding, but it sure scared the <bleep> out of me, headphones flew in one direction, mic in another, and I found myself flat on the floor. When I put the cans back on I heard several stations calling me, when the QSO resumed they told me they heard a loud explosion and a scream just as the carrier dropped and were wondering what happened. BTW, I can picture it today as a Dash! cartoon adventure, maybe I should tell Jeff about it. (;->)

KK4AMI
05-18-2014, 06:08 AM
OK, you have all scared the crap out of me.
Thank Gawd for LED TVs and QRP!

kb2vxa
05-18-2014, 09:58 AM
I don't think gawd has anything do do with technology, but I get the point of your HV probe... OUCH! Oh, and please don't remind this ex TV repairman about CRTs and capacitive hysteresis, when you think it's discharged but it's not, SURPRISE! (When you think it's butter but it's snot, it's Chiffon.)

Oh and BTW, you should be glad we scared the crap out of you. Now when somebody says you're full of crap you can truthfully say you're not.