PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Predictions '14 - Below Avg, 2 Hit the US

N2NH
05-14-2014, 10:58 AM
How accurate this is I don't know. Seems that some years they're right on target and others they're not even close.

Atlantic Hurricane Season Key Points:

1. AccuWeather.com is predicting a below-normal hurricane season.
2. Tropical development this season may be altered by the onset of El Niño in late summer or fall.
3. Areas from the central and eastern Gulf of Mexico up through the East Coast will be most vulnerable for impacts from a tropical system.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2qw1ndi.png

Although this season overall numbers are predicted to be low, meteorologists urge people to be prepared for the worst.

"All we need is one hurricane," Kottlowski said. "Just because we are saying this is going to be an inactive season doesn't mean we couldn't have a couple of very intense hurricanes."

Add the strong possibility of El Niño starting up and things get very interesting. Well, the rollercoaster of time will get there in 3½ months.

Atlantic Hurricane Season 2014: Two US Landfalls Predicted; East Coast at Risk (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/atlantic-hurricane-season-forecast-2014/26660844)

PA5COR
05-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Chances for a very strong El Nino are now 80% tendency up.
Going from drought into washed away soil is not an improvement...

n2ize
05-14-2014, 10:51 PM
El Nino sucks.

KG4CGC
05-14-2014, 11:03 PM
The Baby.

NQ6U
05-15-2014, 12:01 AM
The Baby.

Niño: boy. Niña: girl. In this case, it refers specifically to that Jesus guy.

VE7DCW
05-15-2014, 01:06 AM
We have an 100% certainty of not having a hurricane at all in British Columbia......sounds alright to me! :yes:

N2NH
05-15-2014, 05:12 AM
I think we have a good chance of getting a real soaker of a Tropical Storm. We can get 8 to 10 inches in a day when they come up the coast. Some turn into nor'easters and take 3 days to pass by with some pretty high winds and sideways rain.

I also think there's a decent chance of a Sandy like storm hitting. Hopefully not when the Moon is helping the tides. At least I'm not on the seacoast anymore. You could see the storms coming in from the ocean a day or two in advance...

n2ize
05-15-2014, 06:52 AM
I think we have a good chance of getting a real soaker of a Tropical Storm. We can get 8 to 10 inches in a day when they come up the coast. Some turn into nor'easters and take 3 days to pass by with some pretty high winds and sideways rain.

I also think there's a decent chance of a Sandy like storm hitting. Hopefully not when the Moon is helping the tides. At least I'm not on the seacoast anymore. You could see the storms coming in from the ocean a day or two in advance...

That sounds reasonable. I think there is indeed a decent chance of getting a hurricane, tropical weather system, or a nor'easter between now and November.I also think there is a strong chance of at least one strong thunderstorm passing through this summer. And even modest a chance of a twister in some areas.

n2ize
05-15-2014, 06:54 AM
We have an 100% certainty of not having a hurricane at all in British Columbia......sounds alright to me! :yes:

I think the Yukon territory and Alaska also have a similar certainty of not having a hurricane. :)

NQ6U
05-15-2014, 10:36 AM

We only have a 99% certainty of not having a hurricane here. One hit in 1858 and there was a small chance of one hitting again in 1997, but it veered off to the west before it got here.

W7XF
05-16-2014, 01:53 AM
Y'all NEED a Cat 5 to hit Saanich....that should get rid of the unwashed!