PDA

View Full Version : Get 100 GigaBytes for Free on The Cloud.

N2NH
05-13-2014, 01:43 AM
I came across a freebie that is worth a little effort. MicroSoft is offering 100 GigaBytes of storage on the cloud for one year for free. This would normally cost $50/year, but by doing searches while logged into Bing Rewards, you can get this for free. It takes a few days, but the operative word here is FREE.

W0AJA
05-14-2014, 10:17 AM
It's about time something is free through them!

WØTKX
05-14-2014, 10:55 AM
I get that already, for being an AT&T subscriber with a Windows Phone. Lemme tell ya, I didn't like the iCloud much, and Google Drive is just OK.

But Microsoft OneDrive, Outlook.com, and Office a 365 is pretty sweet integration.

NQ6U
05-14-2014, 11:21 AM
I'd trust Microsoft with my data about as far as I could spit a dead rat.

To be fair, though, I don't use iCloud or any of the other online data storage services either. I do use Dropbox, but only for sharing.

w6tmi
05-14-2014, 03:06 PM

To be fair, though, I don't use iCloud or any of the other online data storage services either. I do use Dropbox, but only for sharing.

For most part, same here. I did have cause to use MS OneNote collaborating on a project that worked out really well.

I then used it to store flight and trip information. Quite handy to collect data and have it available on an Android phone, or a windows tablet, and the person I was collaborating with was using an iphone and a mac.

But data storage.. nope.

N2NH
05-14-2014, 05:35 PM
I find OneDrive (the Cloud) useful to store eBooks that I own. It allows me to access them from a laptop or a tablet and anywhere I may be. I swore that some of the pictures I had that were destroyed by a virus were lost. Recently I found them on a site I had forgotten about. What a blast from the past to see pics I hadn't seen in a decade.

That is the main reason I find the Cloud attractive. Also being anywhere in the world and having access to my files and records. I trust MS because in this day of data breaches and viruses taking down what should be secure sites, they're probably one of the most secure I've seen. Also, Office on the cloud is free and the storage is automatic on OneDrive.

KC2UGV
05-14-2014, 06:00 PM
I use OneCloud for my OneNote notebooks. Makes it nice in case my tablet goes AWOL on me.

KJ3N
05-14-2014, 06:20 PM
100GB wouldn't even scratch the surface, for me. I've got about 1TB of data on my NW6.5 server.

At some point, I've got to get a 3-4GB NAS system together and retire the NW server. That will also allow me to take the MyBook Live offline, which has about 750GB of data on it.

n6hcm
05-14-2014, 09:53 PM
I came across a freebie that is worth a little effort. MicroSoft is offering 100 GigaBytes of storage on the cloud for one year for free. This would normally cost $50/year, but by doing searches while logged into Bing Rewards, you can get this for free. It takes a few days, but the operative word here is FREE.

free for a year. if you actually use all that space then you have to keep sorting out what to do next year ...

n2ize
05-14-2014, 10:00 PM

I use google drive for rather benign stuff. For example, I have a bunch of Asymptote (*.asm) source code files stored up there. Asymptote is a vector graphics language used for producing mathematical graphical images for anything from simple two dimensional graphs to 3 dimensional surfaces, flowcharts, graphs, trees, formulas, vector fields, etc. so, if Google decides to poke their noses in there and read what I am up to all they are going to find are some source files that when run on the Asymptote interpreter will give them a bunch of pretty pictures similar to those that can be found in almost any decent textbook.

KB3LAZ
05-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Hell, I don't even use 1/1000 of my hard drive. The OS, that is about it. No clue as to what I would store on a cloud.

K7SGJ
05-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Hell, I don't even use 1/1000 of my hard drive. The OS, that is about it. No clue as to what I would store on a cloud.

Rain?

W7XF
05-16-2014, 03:11 AM
Rain?

Eddie....if it was rain, I don't think either of us would want that stored in a cloud. <watches a drop of dihydrogen monoxide turn into dust>

K7SGJ
05-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Eddie....if it was rain, I don't think either of us would want that stored in a cloud. <watches a drop of dihydrogen monoxide turn into dust>

That's true, and thank you for reminding me that it's Friday; and time to water the dirt.