PDA

View Full Version : Hamvention 2014

W3WN
05-12-2014, 10:49 AM
So... outside of Pat WA6MHZ, whom is already enroute in the famed Black-Widder Mobile, who is planning to be at Dayton Hamvenion next weekend?

And, yes, I plan to be there (Friday & Saturday). Unlike last year, THIS year I won't have a conflict the nukes my ride (the High School spring concert was LAST Thursday).

W2NAP
05-12-2014, 11:35 AM
I live a hour 30'ish away.... but not going.

KJ3N
05-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah.... that ain't happening.... :hand:

N8YX
05-12-2014, 11:58 AM
We'll be there and I'll start the requisite, perennial UFO (Unidentified Fleamarket Oddballs) thread soon after arrival.

K7SGJ
05-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I was standing out in the middle of I-17 NB around 11 AM yesterday, and tried to get Pat to pick me up to go to Dayton. By the time I could yell "Hey Pat", he was passing Horse Thief Basin, doing 110. No relation to cowthief.

W3WN
05-12-2014, 12:46 PM
I was standing out in the middle of I-17 NB around 11 AM yesterday, and tried to get Pat to pick me up to go to Dayton. By the time I could yell "Hey Pat", he was passing Horse Thief Basin, doing 110. No relation to cowthief.Good thing he didn't think you were a Black Widder.

W3WN
05-12-2014, 12:49 PM
We'll be there and I'll start the requisite, perennial UFO (Unidentified Fleamarket Oddballs) thread soon after arrival.Including Lemon? (Will she still be wearing that skanky halter top?)

I should mention... my "base of operations" will be the WACOM flea market spots, down along the golf course fence. Thanks to Bud N3TIR, Normal N3YJJ and the rest of the WACOM bunch that comes.

W7XF
05-12-2014, 02:47 PM
I'll pass on the annual pilgrimage to Mt. KaKaPooPoo xD

AC8KF WALT
05-12-2014, 06:56 PM
never been but, hope one day to make the trip to the valhalla of hams.

n6hcm
05-13-2014, 02:42 AM
maybe next year, once i've graduated ...

kds
05-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Making my first trek to Dayton this year. Hamfests don't really intrigue me that much, but everyone says "you gotta go at least once" so here I go...

NA4BH
05-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Making my first trek to Dayton this year. Hamfests don't really intrigue me that much, but everyone says "you gotta go at least once" so here I go...

Meet up with Pat MHZ. Pictures or it never happened.

HAVE FUN

kds
05-13-2014, 09:56 PM

I'm scared.

NA4BH
05-13-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm scared.

You should be. :lol:

NQ6U
05-13-2014, 10:07 PM
You guys are being dicks.

I see Pat at least once a month—he's a member of my ARC—and he's a perfectly decent (if perhaps a little eccentric) guy. He gives back a lot of time and effort to the ham radio community in San Diego County and I get tired of hearing people who've never even met him talking shit about him.

kds
05-13-2014, 10:12 PM

I see Pat at least once a month—he's a member of my ARC—and he's a perfectly decent (if perhaps a little eccentric) guy. He gives back a lot of time and effort to the ham radio community in San Diego County and I get tired of hearing people who've never even met him talking shit about him.

Not being a dick, I'd say the same thing to anyone that suggests I meet someone off the internet. I've never had a problem with him, I was being facetious. Lighten up, don't take the internet so seriously.

NA4BH
05-13-2014, 10:13 PM
I was speaking no shit about him, I would LOVE to meet him. To me he represents everything HAM radio should be about. I was being my typical smartass with my reply. Pat rules.

NA4BH
05-13-2014, 10:16 PM
I guess the little :lol: was not noticed.

VE7DCW
05-14-2014, 01:39 AM

Yup..... i'm with Carl on this one as well.I won't call you dicks....... but Pat has never done anyone wrong on the Island or QRZ.And as to him being eccentric,well,I can name a few Hams living around me that would that make that statement invalid!
By what Carl says,and what Pat has even posted himself on other forums,he does contribute a lot to amateur radio!
I prefer just to call him an "interesting Amateur radio personality" :yes:

n6hcm
05-14-2014, 04:04 AM
I see Pat at least once a month—he's a member of my ARC—and he's a perfectly decent (if perhaps a little eccentric) guy.

let s/he among us who is not eccentric cast the first stone ...

N8YX
05-14-2014, 06:43 AM
If ham radio has room for The Timtron, it certainly can accommodate Pat.

KB0PJG
05-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Bit too far for us - sounds like it will be a great time and I'll watch some of it on W5KUB stream

W3WN
05-14-2014, 07:18 AM

HAVE FUN
I'm scared.
You should be. :lol:Nah. Pat's a real nice guy in person. Don't let his internet persona fool ya.

Now the Good Nun... well, I'll let you judge for yourself! :hahano:

Seriously, you'll find Pat in the ARRL area, working with people on soldering techniques and such. Say hello.

Bring a QSL card with you; they usually have a "wall of shame" for people to post their cards on, and yes, I will.

And I'll have a camera with me. If it has survived my taking Fred's picture, it will survive anything!! :evil:

KC2UGV
05-14-2014, 08:03 AM

Not being a dick, but it is the perception he offers to everyone on the internets.

He might offer lots to the radio community, but a radio amateur places his family first, which is what irritates me the most about him. Unless his wife and kids are happy with him, in which case, his offered perception is what it is.

W3WN
05-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Not being a dick, but it is the perception he offers to everyone on the internets.

He might offer lots to the radio community, but a radio amateur places his family first, which is what irritates me the most about him. Unless his wife and kids are happy with him, in which case, his offered perception is what it is.Well, two comments.

First, a lot of Pat's stories are, shall we say, loaded with hyperbole. He definitely has the touch of the teller of tall tales in him, and most of his stories are entertaining. I've just learned to take them with the proverbial grain of (sea or kosher, not table) salt.

Second... well, let me say this more generically. I know of more than a few hams who APPEAR to put ham radio ahead of their families. But it's often because the families themselves have issues or levels of dysfunction. (I am NOT saying that's the case with Pat, his stories notwithstanding.) In other words, yes, the Amateur is Balanced -- but his home situation is such that it appears otherwise.

Or, to use the old proverb... Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. By then, he's a mile away and barefoot & can't chase after you.

KC2UGV
05-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Well, two comments.

First, a lot of Pat's stories are, shall we say, loaded with hyperbole. He definitely has the touch of the teller of tall tales in him, and most of his stories are entertaining. I've just learned to take them with the proverbial grain of (sea or kosher, not table) salt.

Well, then people treating him as they do is his own fault, and not the fault of others. He makes himself out to be a sloven ass, who doesn't care about his family; so when people treat him as such, he has nobody to blame but himself.

Second... well, let me say this more generically. I know of more than a few hams who APPEAR to put ham radio ahead of their families. But it's often because the families themselves have issues or levels of dysfunction. (I am NOT saying that's the case with Pat, his stories notwithstanding.) In other words, yes, the Amateur is Balanced -- but his home situation is such that it appears otherwise.

Or, to use the old proverb... Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. By then, he's a mile away and barefoot & can't chase after you.

Then that individual should put down radios, stop hoarding them, and fix his family (Via counseling/divorce/whatever).

N8GAV
05-14-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't think they need another fat, un-bathed guy running around the flea market, besides I don't have a hooveround so I'll pass............

KC2UGV
05-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Regardless, looking forward to updates from the Islanders who will be attending. Wife and I are planning a Dayton trip next year to coincide with Hamvention.

koØm
05-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Count me in.

suddenseer
05-14-2014, 08:36 PM
I just moved to Dayton. I have to work Friday, but will probably make it Saturday. If N8YX, and DSG go to their usual Friday night thing, I will try to make that. I am easy to spot, I carry two drinks, no HT, no baseball cap with my callsign. I do stand out.

N8YX
05-15-2014, 10:07 PM
I just moved to Dayton. I have to work Friday, but will probably make it Saturday. If N8YX, and DSG go to their usual Friday night thing, I will try to make that. I am easy to spot, I carry two drinks, no HT, no baseball cap with my callsign. I do stand out.
We'll be there. Mel might be joining all of us.

W7XF
05-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Just remember....Da Pope isn't there to pick up your bar tab!

wa6mhz
05-16-2014, 05:36 AM
I'd most happy to meet Islanders! I will be in the ARRL Technical booth for most of the Hamvention duration
OH if u are not in Church Sunday morning come to Room 3 and see
"Collecting and Restoring Ham Radios of the past!"

N8YX
05-16-2014, 05:59 AM
I'd most happy to meet Islanders! I will be in the ARRL Technical booth for most of the Hamvention duration
We'll make our way over sometime during the weekend. Unfortunately, we'll miss Sunday's event - 'DSG has to work.

suddenseer
05-17-2014, 04:04 AM
We'll be there. Mel might be joining all of us.I was sick yesterday. I plan on being there today. I would love to meet Mel, Ron, and Pat. I might be in the market for a trapped vertical because of the real estate issues I now have. I made a slinky for 80M cw. I am going to get back on the air this year. Maybe chat with some Islanders. So far, the only Islander I have hooked up with (on the air) is Kevin W7XF. I wish that he had some time to stop nearby,

koØm
05-17-2014, 11:54 AM

I missed you yesterday Pat, I spent most of my time outside after the sun came out, got lost in the maze of the outdoor flea market. Hope to catch you Sunday.

suddenseer
05-18-2014, 01:24 AM
I was able to have lunch with Fred, and DSG. I always enjoy their company. Met Jeff K1NSS, and aquired a piece of his original artwork for my shack. Would like to meet Mel, Pat, and Ron.and any other Islander that may be there Sunday.

W3WN
05-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I was able to have lunch with Fred, and DSG. I always enjoy their company. Met Jeff K1NSS, and aquired a piece of his original artwork for my shack. Would like to meet Mel, Pat, and Ron.and any other Islander that may be there Sunday.
I'm sorry I missed you guys. Especially Jeff, I really would have liked to meet him.

Did run into this character though... sure looks like Pat, but dressed up as a doctor, not a patient?

W2NAP
05-18-2014, 05:00 PM
I for the life of me just can't justify $25'ish to get into the door then $4 a gallon gas. I noticed quite a few people around here saying the same thing.

N7YA
05-18-2014, 06:11 PM
I may go there and open a booth and sell deodorant...no, nevermind. I will be flat broke by the end of the day and would still have to cart 20 unopened cases of roll-on back to the truck.

K7SGJ
05-18-2014, 06:21 PM
I may go there and open a booth and sell deodorant...no, nevermind. I will be flat broke by the end of the day and would still have to cart 20 unopened cases of roll-on back to the truck.

You're pretty inventive. Design an orange vest with a built in deodorant dispenser that is triggered by RF.

N7YA
05-18-2014, 11:03 PM
I wouldnt tell them its in the vest...thats the only way they will stay on.

KØWVM
05-19-2014, 01:50 AM
I have plans to return to the Hamvention one day... Oh yes I do! Last time was in 1994... Got a Diamond Rubber duck for my old Yaesu FT-51R (Still have both) and got me one of those fancy radar detector zappers that cause speeding drivers all sorts of angst and brake light checks.

Made one person in a 240 SX hatchback to slam on their brakes twice as they were doing in excess of 75 on I-70 between Columbus and Springfield. Nobody else on that particular stretch of road but us two cars. Was the funniest thing to watch...

koØm
05-19-2014, 08:04 AM
We'll be there. Mel might be joining all of us.

I was a pleasure shaking hands with Fred and meeting 'DSG but, I did not get to spend nearly as much time as I wanted to but, "Lawd" willing and the blood pressure doesn't rise, I'm gonna make up for it at the Dayton Hamvention 2015. I'm already making plans and plotting strategies, one of the strategies is to get one of those "Hover-round" ride around buggies; there was an unwritten rule that gives them the "Right of way" inside the venue as well as the ability to cover the whole flea market (impossible to do on foot).

I'm gonna get a hotel room and stay for the weekend. Inside the room will be the meter, exciter and non-radiating dummy load to test all the things that I saw in the flea market that I wanted to buy but didn't.

The cleaning crew is still trying to put Hara Arena back together from the 2014 event and, I'm already planning the 2015 sojourn to Dayton, as it should be.

W3WN
05-19-2014, 08:53 AM
I was a pleasure shaking hands with Fred and meeting 'DSG but, I did not get to spend nearly as much time as I wanted to but, "Lawd" willing and the blood pressure doesn't rise, I'm gonna make up for it at the Dayton Hamvention 2015. I'm already making plans and plotting strategies, one of the strategies is to get one of those "Hover-round" ride around buggies; there was an unwritten rule that gives them the "Right of way" inside the venue as well as the ability to cover the whole flea market (impossible to do on foot).

I'm gonna get a hotel room and stay for the weekend. Inside the room will be the meter, exciter and non-radiating dummy load to test all the things that I saw in the flea market that I wanted to buy but didn't.

The cleaning crew is still trying to put HARA Arena back together from the 2014 event and, I'm already planning the 2015 sojourn to Dayton, as it should beWhat cleaning crew?

(OK, that was a mite nasty, but there are days I wonder about that...)
(...And not even All the King's Men could put the HARA Arena back together...)

It's not an "unwritten rule" to give those damn scooters the right of way. It's either get out of the way, or get run over. My left ankle is really throbbing from getting hit by one of those (and the guy who hit me? Denied it... never even realized what he was doing. Or cared.). And most of the people riding them should have been walking around... they need the exercise. But never mind.

Our plans are already in place to be there in 2015. The informal group I'm with (primarily made up of members of WASH, WACOM, and Steel City ARC) has been staying the last few years in the U of Dayton dorms. Rates are very reasonable, rooms are clean, and the hot water works. The U of D has been renovating their dorm buildings over the last few years; we stayed this time in Campus South, and it was very nice. Even had a kitchenet, with a fridge, electric stove, & microwave, which I forgot about, or we'd have brought some vittles & stuff with us.

K7SGJ
05-19-2014, 09:49 AM
What cleaning crew?

(OK, that was a mite nasty, but there are days I wonder about that...)
(...And not even All the King's Men could put the HARA Arena back together...)

It's not an "unwritten rule" to give those damn scooters the right of way. It's either get out of the way, or get run over. My left ankle is really throbbing from getting hit by one of those (and the guy who hit me? Denied it... never even realized what he was doing. Or cared.). And most of the people riding them should have been walking around... they need the exercise. But never mind.

Our plans are already in place to be there in 2015. The informal group I'm with (primarily made up of members of WASH, WACOM, and Steel City ARC) has been staying the last few years in the U of Dayton dorms. Rates are very reasonable, rooms are clean, and the hot water works. The U of D has been renovating their dorm buildings over the last few years; we stayed this time in Campus South, and it was very nice. Even had a kitchenet, with a fridge, electric stove, & microwave, which I forgot about, or we'd have brought some vittles & stuff with us.

Didn't know you played the vittle. Who Gnu?

suddenseer
05-19-2014, 10:49 PM
I missed meeting Mel, Pat, and Ron. Like Vera sang, we will all meet again some sunny day. I absolutely love my artwork from Jeff, K1NSS. I was joking with him, wishing he would get real famous, then die to make my artwork more valuable. He told that no one had expressed those wishes before. Once again Jeff, "Just Kidding". I will settle for you just becoming famous. You already are here on the Island. I spent most of my indoor time at the Flex radio booth. It looks like my next radio. I have not been to Hamvention in years, but plan on being back next year. I think I will take my Dad, as he took me to my first Hamvention in 1975.

W2NAP
05-19-2014, 11:20 PM

you are far nicer then I am.. someone try running me over its going to get ugly.

VE7DCW
05-19-2014, 11:37 PM
You know what kind of an attraction to the Hamvention it would be if it got out that Cowthief would attend!

An Amateur Radio entertainer of rock star status! :rofl:

NA4BH
05-19-2014, 11:41 PM
You know what kind of an attraction to the Hamvention it would be if it got out that Cowthief would attend!

He blows fire. That would make him "Hotlips".

W7XF
05-20-2014, 01:00 AM

How about if VE7KFM shows up??

W3WN
05-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Well, I didn't see him, but Dr. Don Miller AE6IY ex W9WNV apparently DID show up. Sporting his original call; he's now the trustee for the "club" that was created to "save" the call for him.

He was, as far as I know, last at Hamvention the year after he was released from prison. Spoke at the DX forum, actually apologized for his previous sins, and at the end of his spiel, promised he'd be operating "soon" from an All Time New One, that had never before been activated. Haven't heard a peep from or about him since.

W3WN
05-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Didn't know you played the vittle. Who Gnu?Who's On First.

K7SGJ
05-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Who's On First.

Third base.

N8YX
05-20-2014, 10:31 AM
I saw Bonnie, KQ6XA's vanity plate on a Subaru Outback parked near the main entrance.

VE7DCW
05-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I saw Bonnie, KQ6XA's vanity plate on a Subaru Outback parked near the main entrance.

Oh boy ....... the Queen of ALE herself! ....... probably hanging out with the other circled covered wagon group,the Winlinkers showing off their silly philosophy! :yes: