PDA

View Full Version : operation on foreign us soil

WA7PBE
05-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Being a new ham I have no clue the legalitIes behind this question. And being a military member I'm sure I may find myself in this situation. So lets say I'm overseas, On a US militay base or other US owned grounds, would I carry on normaly with my callsign since it is US soil or would I have to abide by the localites laws and get a special callsign? Can't find the answer via google so gotta try here.

K7SGJ
05-09-2014, 07:05 PM
See if this helps.

https://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?253168-Operating-on-a-military-base-overseas/page2&

W5BRM
05-09-2014, 07:07 PM
http://www.arrl.org/reciprocal-permit. You can start here. Might have the info you need or can at least put you on the right path

WA7PBE
05-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Baiscally I need to check with the CO is what I'm getting.

K7SGJ
05-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Baiscally I need to check with the CO is what I'm getting.

That's pretty much it. If he doesn't care, and you're on the base/post, I get that you don't have to abide by the rules of the country you are in. Actually, most military installations have a ham shack of some kind you should be able to use. At least when I was in they did, and you were only limited by the privileges of the class of license you held. But that was a long time ago.

NA4BH
05-09-2014, 08:43 PM
That's pretty much it. If he doesn't care, and you're on the base/post, I get that you don't have to abide by the rules of the country you are in. Actually, most military installations have a ham shack of some kind you should be able to use. At least when I was in they did, and you were only limited by the privileges of the class of license you held. But that was a long time ago.

Did the spark gap thing scare you?

K7SGJ
05-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Did the spark gap thing scare you?

Ya know, I fully expected that, and was waiting for Carl to jump all over it. But you? Really? Et Tu Asshole?

NQ6U
05-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Ya know, I fully expected that, and was waiting for Carl to jump all over it. But you? Really? Et Tu Asshole?

They don't have spark gap transmitters in Minnesota, you know.

K7SGJ
05-09-2014, 10:17 PM

With 9,999 lakes, who needs them?

WA7PBE
05-09-2014, 10:20 PM
yea i have never heard of that but i have heard of some programs of being able to radio home to loved ones even still today through some programs. still my question was pretty much answered that unless the CO says no or i have to go through country X's radio whatever its called, then yes i can operate normally.

NA4BH
05-09-2014, 10:22 PM
With 9,999 lakes, who needs them?

You've been there?

K7SGJ
05-09-2014, 10:25 PM
You've been there?

No, but I'm pretty tight with someone who has.

NQ6U
05-09-2014, 11:53 PM
No, but I'm pretty tight with someone who has.

And he counted all the lakes.

KC2UGV
05-10-2014, 09:28 AM
yea i have never heard of that but i have heard of some programs of being able to radio home to loved ones even still today through some programs. still my question was pretty much answered that unless the CO says no or i have to go through country X's radio whatever its called, then yes i can operate normally.

If the post CG says no, you cannot operate on post at all. Off post, regardless of what the CG says, you must abide by reciprocal rules.

W7XF
05-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Pat.... best person to ask may be KØWVM...he is currently deployed overseas.

kb2vxa
05-11-2014, 10:39 AM
You may want to ask Bob N2OO, he's the big shot of OBARC and a world class overseas operator, a Google snoop will turn up contact info.

K0RGR
05-11-2014, 11:10 AM
There are a few military hams who have access to the Internet, and use it to operate EchoLink from wherever they are. If the net is being used for other things, there shouldn't be any issues with giving away your position with a transmitter, etc. - you aren't transmitting there, after all. The growing capability to remotely control ham rigs also raises some interesting possibilities for people operating from places where they can't use a transmitter directly.

Here's one of many impressive demos on Youtube of Remoterig... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDmWQNOLm_U

WØTKX
05-11-2014, 11:17 AM

My crazy Elmer fired one up August 1971 for a few minutes in Bloomington, MN. I was there.

Minnesotans are occasionally fond of Spam Radio.

http://qrper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_13861.jpg