PDA

View Full Version : 40 db Over S-9

koØm
05-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Why is it so hard for an operator to communicate to another operator that his station doesn't sound good, It seems that we are obligated to be gentlemen instead of saying, "Hey man, you sound like crap".

A couple of nights ago, I was sitting there monitoring the net frequency and, this one station that is located about 20 miles north of Atlanta, Georgia started transmitting and suddenly it was like I was blown back onto the 11 meter band. This fellow was using an amplified D-104 desk microphone lashed up to an Icom IC-735 driving a Drake L-7. This fellow came through my radio like a freight train. Have you ever had the knobs and volume adjusted on your radio to pull that station out of the S-5 noise level only to have someone key up and bust the speakers out of your radio? AGC, what AGC, he crushed it.

A couple of his buddies told him that had problems and they nicely asked him where he had the Mic Gain set to on the radio and, could he turn the amplifier in the microphone down to a minimum but, he just didn't get it. They told him 5 different way from Sunday that he was over driving the radio which was in turn, being amplified by the Drake L-7.

I spent the rest of my time that evening with one hand on the Volume Control; that got old quick so, my radio time was short.

Someone must have physically got with him because he didn't sound overdriven yesterday.

W5BRM
05-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Maybe he was test driving his mic before dropping the hammer on 27.025 :snicker:

K7SGJ
05-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Why is it so hard for an operator to communicate to another operator that his station doesn't sound good, It seems that we are obligated to be gentlemen instead of saying, "Hey man, you sound like crap".

A couple of nights ago, I was sitting there monitoring the net frequency and, this one station that is located about 20 miles north of Atlanta, Georgia started transmitting and suddenly it was like I was blown back onto the 11 meter band. This fellow was using an amplified D-104 desk microphone lashed up to an Icom IC-735 driving a Drake L-7. This fellow came through my radio like a freight train. Have you ever had the knobs and volume adjusted on your radio to pull that station out of the S-5 noise level only to have someone key up and bust the speakers out of your radio? AGC, what AGC, he crushed it.

A couple of his buddies told him that had problems and they nicely asked him where he had the Mic Gain set to on the radio and, could he turn the amplifier in the microphone down to a minimum but, he just didn't get it. They told him 5 different way from Sunday that he was over driving the radio which was in turn, being amplified by the Drake L-7.

I spent the rest of my time that evening with one hand on the Volume Control; that got old quick so, my radio time was short.

Someone must have physically got with him because he didn't sound overdriven yesterday.

Personally, I have no trouble telling someone that their signal sounds poorly. I try to convey what it sounds like to give them some idea if they are overmodulated and clipping, splattering, there is hum on the signal, or if it sounds overly processed. Some guys have so much gain that you can hear their dog breathing in the next room. If they can't deal with a truthful report, TS.

I always appreciate an honest signal report, and if someone says my audio sounds bad, I will look at it with the proper test equipment to make sure something in the chain hasn't gone tu.

Besides, it's a good way to keep off the FCC or OO shit list.

VE7DCW
05-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Maybe he was test driving his mic before dropping the hammer on 27.025 :snicker:

I don't know why..... but this made me laugh my guts out! ....... WTG ! :rofl:

:clap:

KJ3N
05-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Some guys have so much gain that you can hear their dog breathing in the next room.

A lot of guys have too much gain. A good portion of them (surprise, surprise) on 75m, in my experience. I hear it on 40m and 20m, but not as much as I seem to hear it on 75m. Quite a few contesters also seem to have a few knobs set to 11.

I try to make sure that if I'm not actually speaking, I have zero RF output. Given the amount of blower fan noise I hear on the bands, I'm in the minority.

koØm
05-06-2014, 06:46 PM

Actually, I left that part out; he and his friends had no problems talking about the fact that they had been on 11 meters earlier.

WØTKX
05-06-2014, 07:32 PM
http://www.nu9n.com/scope_your_audio.html

K7SGJ
05-06-2014, 08:30 PM
http://www.nu9n.com/scope_your_audio.html

Very affordable for guys that only have a scope. The Station Monitor for 160 bux would be great for most applications. Nice find.

W7XF
05-07-2014, 12:39 AM
No excuses on Da Bowl, where every knob is turned to 100/10!

And the power mics require 480 3-phase!

kb2vxa
05-07-2014, 12:47 AM
That reminds me of the old DX Net on 20M, a joke in itself that makes working a few big guns like shooting fish in a barrel. The net control operator in Florida had everything cranked up to 11, and as if that wasn't bad enough he shouted so loud I could hear him in New Jersey without a radio. Thankfully for ear bleed the control in Ohio who took over when propagation changed was the normal one. DX hounds chasing DX chickens (DX check-ins) was entertaining with the usual 5/9 reports and please repeat your callsign stuff though. Good for a few giggles before Koo Koo Karol and The Greatest Show On Mirth.

PA5COR
05-07-2014, 02:27 AM
Simple, for that we can Always check what our ALC does isn't it?
Ft 2000-D ALC is barely moving, still using the EQplus and MD-1 from Yaesu spoken in at 2" away directly my modulation jumps out of the noise without overmodulation.
That by lack of background noises, no echo used, and the right setting of the high/low tone on the EQplus and internal equaliser of the FT2000-D.

Mostly getting unsollicitated positive modulation reports, settings local 1-2900 Hz DX 200-2700 HZ.
My meter is Always set on the ALC setting and it will barely top the 1/3 scale of the max ALC permitted.
No internal FT 2000-D processor used just the EQplus compresssor/limitter and downwards expander.

WØTKX
05-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Very affordable for guys that only have a scope. The Station Monitor for 160 bux would be great for most applications. Nice find.

I own both the de-modulator and the sampler. Found a nice 4 channel scope cheap, 2 channels for station monitor, two for sniffing around in circuits. Have used 'em for quite a while, and once I figure out a rig combo, I know how it behaves... Screaming DX mode to ragchew.

NQ6U
05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
I just crank my mic gain up to 11.

kb2vxa
05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Don't fogit soddring 2 warss to a cheese grater wita blowtorch maks a gud mickey fone. Puts it in da toilet fur eko an udder nass souns, den yuse yer tweeked and peeked maxmum swang see bee inta a duzen class C leenyars in seerees ta yer rod of God anti enna an yer King A Da Bowl. No ex cusses, it's all or nuthin er ya ain't no see beer, yer ex why da ell ain't bringin' ya nun eeder un less ya gots er trained raht lak dis jen u whine see beer widda funny cards anna BEER.