PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a stealth antenna

W3MPS
05-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Ladies, gentlemen. After a long absence, I've gotten the itch to put my station back on the air.

Here's the problem, I'm stuck living in a condo. Also, it's on the ground floor.

I *cough* have access to the roof and there's a drain pipe rather conveniently located next to my unit.
And the building is three stories, at least I'll get some elevation out of it.

I'm considering a long wire tacked along the parapet on the roof and running a feeder concealed in the drain pipe.
Or make the drain pipe the vertical leg of an inverted L.

For right now, I'm limited to 10 meters. Ideally I would like to design things with an eye towards the other HF bands
as I am working on studying to upgrade my license.

Any guidance is greatly welcome in my latest pursuit of black ops shenanigans.

PA5COR
05-06-2014, 04:11 PM
http://pa0fri.home.xs4all.nl/Ant/Antmateriaal/antmateriaal.htm#PLATDAK

Have a lookie here, in Dutch but with piccies to give you an idea ;)

Do scroll down on that page...

HUGH
05-10-2014, 03:28 PM
A wire up the drainpipe would be quite good but probably suffer from EMC from all the gadgets running in the condo. I suggest two parallel 75ohm coaxes to the roof giving you a waterproof 150 ohm feeder.

W3MPS
05-10-2014, 04:04 PM
A wire up the drainpipe would be quite good but probably suffer from EMC from all the gadgets running in the condo. I suggest two parallel 75ohm coaxes to the roof giving you a waterproof 150 ohm feeder.

Interesting, I had not considered that.

I turned on the radio with a cheapie "10 meter" mag mount hooked up to it. There's a fair amount of RF noise in the place. We shall see how it goes.

W3WN
05-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Do you have access to the roof? A hamstick or equivalent attached to a vent pipe would be virtually invisible.

Are you allowed a flagpole?

How about a front porch or patio? A potted climbing plant, with a trellis that just HAPPENS to be about 4 feet high, can be a great disguise for one or more hamstick type antennas.

N2ADV
05-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Is your car parked nearby? Mount an antenna on the car and run a length of coax in through the window when operating...